Start by marking “All the Missing Girls” as Want to Read:
All the Missing Girls

All the Missing Girls

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  168,800 ratings  ·  14,044 reviews
Like the spellbinding psychological suspense in The Girl on the Train and Luckiest Girl Alive, Megan Miranda’s novel is a nail-biting, breathtaking story about the disappearances of two young women—a decade apart—told in reverse.

It’s been ten years since Nicolette Farrell left her rural hometown after her best friend, Corinne, disappeared from Cooley Ridge without a trace.
Published June 28th 2016 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about All the Missing Girls, please sign up.
Tracy Great question, I felt this was a loose end. Punching her with a "closed fist" seemed to be a huge over reaction. I felt this was a loose end that was…moreGreat question, I felt this was a loose end. Punching her with a "closed fist" seemed to be a huge over reaction. I felt this was a loose end that wasn't tied up very well.(less)
Evette "All the Missing Girls" is definitely not a scary book. It is suspenseful though, and will definitely keep you on your toes.…more"All the Missing Girls" is definitely not a scary book. It is suspenseful though, and will definitely keep you on your toes.(less)

·  168,800 ratings  ·  14,044 reviews

Start your review of All the Missing Girls
Jen
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I actually had my review almost fully formed when I was 3/4 done. I was promised a jaw dropping read per the book flap but, at best, this was a mouth twitch, brow rise. I know I'm going against the current on this one- many adored this story.
Personally, I hated the structure. It's told backwards- 2 weeks. 10 days, 4 days, one day...all the day before. Wtf? Too confusing and when I have to work at timelines, I check out.
However, as I continued on - I was curious- there were some triumphant twists
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description

CLICK HERE for a Booktube Video about:

Ten Fabulous Book Reviews and One That Will Make You Go - doesn't that belong to Miranda Reads?

Now that you know this one made the list check the video review to see the rest (and find the stolen surprise)!
The Written Review
Here’s the thing I’ve learned about leaving—you can’t really go back.
Ever read a story backwards?

(Yeah...me either....and it turns out there's a reason for that...)

Nicolette Farrell returns to her hometown following a ten-year
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! Super twisty and held my attention from the first to last page. I wasn't expecting the ending and was extremely impressed with the way the story was told in reverse; a difficult feat that was pulled off nicely. Very satisfying and suspense filled read!

Nicolette "Nic" Farrell has returned home to help fix up her and brother Daniel's family home. Their father has dementia and they need the money to pay for his care at the Grand Pines assisted living home. Nic has made a life for herself in Pe
Yun
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a little hard for me to pinpoint exactly how I feel about All the Missing Girls. I both enjoyed this book and found it immensely annoying while I was reading it.

The mystery itself kept me turning the pages, wanting to find out what happened. First one girl disappears and then 10 years later another girl disappears. In case you're counting, "all the girls" is just two girls.

My problem with this book is that it felt like a giant carrot was being waved in my face the entire time. The narrativ
karen
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best mystery/thriller category 2016!

"There you are."

okay, i have now officially read this book twice - once the way it was intended, with its reverse-countdown of days and events, and once backwards, following the plot chronologically.

which begs the question: which one is better?

my friend connor is very critical of nonlinear chronologies (in movies, anyway - he's no booknerd). his complaint about them, and it's absolutely a valid one, is that many time
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read of this book through audio 2017. The narrator did a great job 😊

I have to say the cover of this book is beautiful, at least to me! I also think it makes a great background for a thriller book!

HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER! THIS BOOK ROCKED!

Okay at one point I forgot the blurb and thought I was losing what is left of my mind. The book is going along from the beginning and then all of the sudden (BAM) we are at a part that I don't remember getting to.... Then my little brain catches up that this
Kristin (KC)
...Just about *3 stars*

All the Missing girls?

Because I’m always down for a healthy dose of originality, I was pretty intrigued when I learned this story was told in a reverse format: starting in the present then moving backwards in time, pretty much a single day each chapter. As cool as this sounds in theory, it unfortunately ended up being more of a distraction than anything else. I often found myself backpedalling, convinced I’d somehow missed vital details of the plot.

I gave this book 3
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I ended up liking this a lot more than I expected!

If you like mysteries in little town where people have secrets you definitely should give this book a shot! I loved how the story was told backward!
Obsidian
This book was terrible. Besides a gimmick of telling the main story backwards (which I swear I have seen before in books like "The Secret History") there was nothing appealing about this book. The main character was terrible, her family was terrible, and there was no development at all with secondary characters. I didn't get a sense of anyone at all and when I got to the letdown of an ending I was really ticked I had wasted any time at all with this.

Nicolette (or Nic) is reluctant to return to h
Melissa
This is one of the best books I’ve read this year—without a doubt. I was pretty intrigued when I first heard the story was told in the reverse - who tells a story backward? Was it just a ploy to make it seem different from other suspense novels or would it really work? I was kind of skeptical, not entirely sure the author could pull it off, but she did. The result was a twisted and very addictive story, one that took me completely by surprise.

What I loved most about this story was Nicolette. St
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 10, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
No star rating. I gave it 100 pages and nothing interested me enough to continue. The characters so far are boring af and I don't like the writing. ...more
Belle
Sep 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the story of Nicolette ‘Nic’ who is in her late 20s and has to go back home to a small town in the middle of fucking nowhere to sort out her father’s home now that his health is declining. This book is told in a backwards to front format for the period of 14 days. So you start out with her going to this small down and arriving to her childhood home and then we go to the future and tell the story backwards.

There are a slew of problems with this novel and I will attempt to deline
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book to over my life! I could not put it down!

Nic Farrell reluctantly returns home to small town Cooley Ridge, North Carolina to help care for her ailing father. Having fled 10 years ago after the disappearance of her best friend Corinne, Nic has done all that she can to put the past behind her and move on. But Nic has a secret about Corinne, and as we all know, secrets come to the surface. When Annaleise, a girl who served as Nic’s alibi the night Corinne went missing, also goes missing,
But here’s the thing I’ve learned about leaving - you can’t really go back. I don’t know what to do with Cooley Ridge anymore and Cooley Ridge doesn’t know what to do with me, either. The distance only increases with the years.

Anyone who has left that small town behind knows what it’s like going back those rare times you’re still obligated. That out of place feeling. I understood what Nic was going through and where her mind was at. I guess the difference here is I didn’t leave behind a mystery
Lou (nonfiction fiend)
All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda is a thrilling, gripping read from the very start. The story is told in a unique way - working backwards in time, starting with the present day, which serves to keep the reader off balance for the entirety of the book. Initially, I was concerned at how well this would work but this was unnecessary as it worked absolutely perfectly. It's a story that really can only be told in reverse.

The story begins with Nicolette (Nic) reluctantly returning to her hometow
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4.5 stars! This was a gripping page turner for me! This book kept my full attention from the very first to last page. The author did a fantastic job of telling the story in reverse (Day 15 to Day 1) - such a unique reading experience! I felt completely drawn into the main character, Nic's, story. She seemed to have a dark, secretive side to her and I wanted to know more about her past which was slowly revealed throughout the novel. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more ...more
Deanna
3.5 Stars!!

After reading the description for this book I was really intrigued. Then I read the "Dear Reader" at the start of the book which stated that I would be spellbound and unable to stop reading until I found out what happened to the missing girls. That the twist makes it unlike any reading experience I've ever had. Phew!!

"The book is told backward. After the setup, the story jumps ahead fifteen days and then counts down, day by day, until we reach the beginning again"

This is a story about
Crumb
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't really know what to think of this book..at first. It started out rocky, to be honest. However, I found that I couldn't stop reading..I couldn't put it down. It started to gradually build momentum and I am happy I stuck with it.

This was a perfect book to read in October. Very creepy on so many levels. The title is completely on point. This story is about missing girls, two of them. I also just have to mention how much I adored the cover.
I wasn't crazy about how this story was told backw
Sue
THE MISSING GIRLS by Megan Miranda is her first novel for adults, and will be published by Simon & Schuster on June 28th, 2016. This is a powerful psychological suspense novel, about the disappearance of two young women and like nothing I have ever read …because the story is told in REVERSE. How brilliant! One of the best novels I have read in 2016!

At first, I really didn’t know if this structure would work being told BACKWORDS…but she made it work and I loved it! I had to keep on reading to see
Linda
I received a copy of All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Simon and Schuster and to Megan Miranda for the opportunity.

The ferris wheel.

You know the uncertainty of the ride. The tilting and the swaying of the individual cars as you cast your fate to the backwards pitch. Slowly, gaining speed and not really knowing what the view is behind you. Trusting that you will reach the top. Then the shocking thrust of the forward plunge. And it all begi
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
It is 24 hours since I finished All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda. I have thought about it constantly since I finished it, and I still don't really know what to think of it.

'I have to tell it this way, in pieces. I have to work my way up to it. Work my way back to it. I have to show you the beautiful things before I get to the ugly.'

I found All the Missing girls a difficult read. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I have really enjoyed many other books that were difficult reads. It took s
Theresa
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I did NOT enjoy this. "All the Missing Girls" by Megan Miranda was confusing, aggravating, and so very bland. I seem to be losing interest in the genre of psychological thrillers lately. If I'm going to read a book like this I expect a mind-blowing twist, or compelling characters, or a plot that is fast-moving, or something that will keep me on the edge of my seat. This book isn't it.

First off, the protagonist, Nicolette Farrell really got on my damn nerves! She's just so stupid, creepy, a
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story was told in a unique manner. We are first introduced to our main character, Nicolette, Nic, Farrell as she is asked by her brother, Daniel, to return home to Cooley Ridge, NC. Their father is in an assisted living center and is not doing well. The funds to pay for his care are running out and Daniel wants Nic to help get the family home ready to sell. Nic had also received a very strange
Larry H
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Yes. This is what a thriller should be.

Ten years ago Nicolette Farrell's best friend Corinne disappeared from their North Carolina hometown one night. No one could figure out what happened to Corinne, although the investigation brought a lot of people's secrets to light, and made everyone a suspect—Nic, her then-boyfriend Tyler, her brother, and Corinne's boyfriend, Jackson. It wasn't long before Nic left Cooley Ridge, getting rid of her accent and putting her old life—and those in it—behind her
Debra
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

One really needs to pay attention while reading this book. This book is told in reverse chronological order ranging from day 15 to day 1. This is a very unique way of telling the story and it took some time for me to get used to this technique. Initially I did not like this about the book. I found it to be annoying and then I began to warm up to it.

Nicolette (Nic) returns to her rural hometown after being gone for 10 years. She has returned to help her brother care for their ailing fat
Frances
Cooley Ridge is one of those places that will either hold you forever, or let you go. Nicolette Farrell left a decade ago to start a new life in Philadelphia and has returned for the summer to help her older brother Daniel sell the family home. Realizing their father will never return from the care facility, Nic is anxious to visit him with the hopes he will be more lucid and can explain the note he sent; ‘I need to talk to you. I saw that girl’. Feeling uneasy of what may have triggered the los ...more
Danielle
Apr 20, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent thriller. 😉 I’ve read a couple of mystery/thriller books that are told backwards… starting with the last day, ending with the first day…. It was entertaining. 😏 I have some unanswered questions, but that seems to be the case with most mysteries. 🤪
Julie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda is a 2016 Simon & Schuster publication.

“It is quite true what philosophy says; that life must be understood backward. But then one forgets the other principle: that it must be lived forwards. – Soren Kierkegaard

‘All the Missing Girls’, is a crafty, twisty/bending mystery told in a very innovative way, backwards, like a countdown, leading up to the big climax.

When Nicolette Farrell gets a phone call from her brother, Daniel, regarding the health of their f
Esil
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Another book with the word "Girls" in the title...

All the Missing Girls is clever and well written, but I never really felt caught up in the story. Maybe the concept -- while clever -- didn't quite work for me. Maybe I'm just really finicky when it comes to thrillers -- I like some, but not many. All the Missing Girls is told from Nicolette's (Nic) perspective. When she was 18, her best friend disappeared and then Nic left town. Ten years later, she returns to her home town and another girl disa
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I have to tell it this way, in pieces. I have to work my way up to it. Work my way back to it. I have to show you the beautiful things before I get to the ugly.”

Before I even start let’s get something taken care of real quick like . . . .

“Like the spellbinding psychological suspense in The Girl on the Train. . . “

STFU already about the most boring alcoholic on the train who can’t get over the fact that he’s just not into her.

• The Woman in Cabin 10
  • The Last Mrs. Parrish
  • Pretty Girls
  • Watching You
See top shelves…
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS, THE PERFECT STRANGER, THE LAST HOUSE GUEST, which was a Reese Witherspoon Book Club selection, and THE GIRL FROM WIDOW HILLS. She has also written several books for young adults, including COME FIND ME, FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST, and THE SAFEST LIES. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Caroli ...more

Articles featuring this book

“People were like Russian nesting dolls - versions stacked inside the latest edition. But they all still lived inside, unchanged, just out of sight.” 60 likes
“There is nothing more dangerous, nothing more powerful, nothing more necessary and essential for survival than the lies we tell ourselves. I” 24 likes