Start by marking “Impulse (Impulse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Impulse (Impulse, #1)

Impulse

(Impulse #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  65,492 ratings  ·  3,337 reviews
Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same.

Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act—suicide.

Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade.

Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, c
Published January 23rd 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Impulse, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nichole
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carmen Acosta When it comes to reading novels, it honestly just depends on someone's maturity level. I believe it's appropriate for a 15 year old

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Sep 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who support conversion therapy :)
I started Impulse with really high hopes for this after enjoying Hopkins' Tricks series. Unfortunately, Impulse is a pretty terrible book, with severe issues of mental health being tackled sort of horribly and a shitty love triangle no one cares about. And besides that, it contains the most homophobic storyline I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I am not joking or exaggerating when I say this storyline genuinely reads like someone's conversion therapy manifesto.

Let's talk.

Before you
Chelsea
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like emotional manipulation and mental illness used for shock value :)
Shelves: 1-star
Why Impulse is the WORST Book I’ve Ever Read

Warning: This review will contain unmarked spoilers!
Also, if you loved this book and are going to be angry if someone didn’t like it, you may want to keep scrolling.

Oh boy. Where to start...

This is my second time reading this book. The first time was about a year ago, and it has stuck with me as one of the worst books I’ve ever read. I decided I wanted to do a reread as more of an in-depth analysis, looking for the problematic aspects I picked up on
Emily May
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who don't mind the disturbing
Shelves: poetry, young-adult, 2011

3.5 stars. The fact is, this is my third read by Ellen Hopkins and all of the books I've read so far have affected me quite deeply. I've discovered in this past year that I really like novels in verse, I couldn't imagine it being my thing before I first picked up Burned but all the ones I've read have been all the more emotional, moving and effective because of it. Before I start on about what I don't like, I'll just say now: this book is worth your time if you are okay with the depressing, dis
Ebehi
Nov 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
I started this book very excited. Firstly, the cover looked interesting, then I saw that the story was written in verse form and my excitement level went higher. Perhaps my expectations multiplied my disappointment. Halfway through the book, I was only reading because I had already started and wanted to finish what I had started. Now what to start with...

1. There were many times when I couldn't distinguish the voices of the three different protagonists. I would start a chapter from a new person'
Megs ♥
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it

Impulse is a very short, but very powerful story.

Ellen Hopkins is known for tackling those tough issues that are shocking to read about, but are particularly more disturbing when they are about such young people. Three characters lives intersect at a mental health facility, and at first the story is mostly about each one and how they landed there. The story soon shifts gears, and it becomes more about the bond these characters created. We read on, wondering if they will be able to help each othe
Jude
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard to review this book, it really is. Suicide is not something to be taken lightly, and it is also something very hard to grasp. Something that we usually tiptoe around, nobody wants to be that close to death. Ever. What makes it so shocking is to wonder: What can drive a person to such an ending? Why is it that they couldn’t see beyond their current situations, and why did they thought they had nothing left to loose.

It was especially hard for me to read this because I’ve been in this sor
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

Holy noooooo! I knew this was going to happen. I just knew it. I'm guessing everyone would if they read the book.

This story is about three kids, Conner, Vanessa and Tony who all tried to commit suicide. Each of their stories is very sad..so very sad. They all end up in the same psych ward together and form a friendship.

One has overbearing parents that push their children to be the best, they have no warmth for the children. They just keep pushing them. And i
Mary
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
THE GOOD:

* I’m really warming up to novels in verse, because I feel like they’re more introspective
* I like that the author isn’t afraid to explore tough or sensitive issues and does so pretty straight forward
* can you tell by my tone that I really struggled to find good things, because OH BOY

THE BAD:

* where even to start jesus h christ
* so the mental health aspect was Poorly Handled™ (ps - this is an understatement) and romanticised - fyi, the plot takes place at a mental health facility
Kirsten
This novel, written in free-verse poetry, is set at a mental institution and follows three teens who tried to commit suicide. Conner is a rich kid with a "perfect" life who tried to shoot himself. Vanessa, whose mother is also bipolar, is a cutter who went too far one day. And Tony, who lived on the street after being abused as a child, tried to kill himself with a drug overdose. Now they are all at a private mental hospital, trying to come to terms with what has brought them there.

I'd heard goo
Thomas
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone 13+
Recommended to Thomas by: A friend
Okay - so, this was the first book I've read from Ellen Hopkins. Before I read it I had been avoiding her writing for a long time because the books looked lengthy and the style of poetry didn't seem to be right up my alley - but I was proved wrong.

Impulse is about three 17 year old teens who have each tried to commit suicide - and failed. They wind up in a treatment camp called Aspen Springs, and eventually find each other. Together, they face their old demons and find new friendship. The story
merina rey
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m torn in regards to my feelings about this book in general. It did destroy me in more ways than one, though.
Tatiana
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: 2009, ya, verse
"Impulse" is not an easy book to read. The plot is rather dark: three teenagers find themselves at the same psychiatric clinic after failed suicide attempts. Vanessa slit her wrist a little too deep during her "routine" cutting experiment. Conner tried to shoot himself in the chest. Tony overdosed on pills. The reasons seem to be typical - Vanessa suffers from bipolar disorder and cutting is her only way to get her mood swings under control. Conner is going through a severe case of heartbreak af ...more
Chelsea
Jan 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
***This is an old review. I did an in-depth analysis of this book during my second read. That review is much better! Link: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ****

Trigger warning for every bad thing ever—and I mean EVERY bad thing! Please only pick this up if you are comfortable with seriously mature subject matter.

Also, semi-rant ahead. Be prepared.

This is another one of those books that I’m incredibly conflicted about. I started off confident that this was going to be a four star book, bu
Ella Bianchi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ella by: Faith
NOTE: The more I think about this book, the more I realize how much I enjoyed reading this book, regardless of all of the below. While everything that I have written below is still accurate and should, and will, stay in this review, I honestly really enjoyed reading this book. Actually, at the time I am writing this review, I just rechecked this book out from my local public library, and I am going to start rereading it.

With the above in mind, please disregard anything that states such along the
Spencer
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I'm left speechless by this book. I think my heart left my body while reading this, and if anyone finds it please tell me.

I absolutely loved this book. This book was so beautiful, relatable yet heartbreaking all at the same time. Vanessa cuts herself, I used to cut myself. Conner is in a perfect family, and all he wants to do is kill himself. I have what people would call a perfect family, and it's hard to live up to their expectations. Then we have Tony who is the gay guy with a very rough pa
C. Maria
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was thinking of giving it 3 stars but the last 20% of the book made me change my mind.

My happiest memories have no place in the past; they are those I have yet to create.

Ellen Hopkins did a phenomenal job with this story - it's powerful, heartbreaking and I do think it really shows the struggles and turmoils people with depression have. And suicide it's even a harder topic to write about - it goes deeper and it really hard to grasp every aspect and reasoning behind it.

I liked the main charac
Heba
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-good
This book bothered me so much.

I was extremely interested in a book written in verse. I had heard good things about Ellen Hopkins, so I decided to buy Impulse and it's sequel, Perfect.

Three extremely troubled teens, in a psych hospital, trying to work through their problems and mental illnesses.

These characters were shallow, and not likable. I didn't like these characters ... I didn't care about them. I couldn't relate to them.

Their language was also aggravating. Teenagers do not talk like this:
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Julie Zantopoulos
Okay, this audiobook may not have been the way to go. I enjoyed the writing style, the flow, but the audiobook had multiple male POVs and the voices weren't different enough. The mental health discussions intrigue me, the psychology nerd in me, but there are a host of trigger warnings for this book and a lot was hard to listen to. Something about reading isn't as real as hearing a cutter idolize cutting and describe it.

I didn't connect to the characters and the instalove but I appreciated their
Brittany
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Without Warning

You're traveling
A highway, the only road
You've ever known
And WHAM! A semi
Comes from nowhere
And rolls right over you
You don't wake up
For a passing semi
allison
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca
I’ll go into my feelings more later but a lot is bothering me and I’m struggling with the characters. I love Tricks and Crank by Ellen Hopkins but I just think there’s too much going on in this one and it’s not for me. :(
Donna
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is the third book by this author that I've read. The first one was 2 stars and the second was 3. Her books are not for everyone. She writes sad, gritty stories about all sorts of dysfunction and messed up youth. I've noticed two common themes that run through all of her stories: drug use and insta-love.

The characters were damaged and needy, which explains the holes they needed to fill. Drugs, as well as a host of other things, plagued the youth in this book. And so did insta-love.
Rebecca K. 8b
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great and really digs deep into heart touching topics. I would recommend this to more mature readers and even though I read the second book first by accident it wasn’t confusing because yes it has a second book but it’s from different character perspective so it was really cool to see it from this angle. Definitely a great read.
Emily
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Impulse by Ellen Hopkins
I’ve never known anyone to personally who has attempted suicide or anyone who’s life is pure horror with scarred relationships till I read Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. The book tells from the three character’s point of view about their life and their everyday struggle to control their inner demons. Ellen Hopkins has shown me how lucky I am for having a good life.

Connor is one of the three main characters. He is your typical everyday popular guy. He’s a jock, has blonde hair,
Deyanne
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deyanne by: Lisa L.
I'm still reeling after having just completed the reading of this novel. I am humbled at just how little I know and how complex life is on so many levels. This is a book of "inside" and "outside" stuff. It raises so many questions for me. Just how important is our environment in molding who and what we are? What about relationships, especially family? I think about resiliency and the difference one caring adult can make in a person's life. Pain - both physical and emotional...how difficult to tr ...more
Madison
Oct 06, 2008 added it
Shelves: q12008
Text to World

This was a very dark, yet very effective story of three depressed teenagers who end up at the same treatment center. I wanted to use this for text to world because I feel that it is important for people to understand what others around them go through. Each of the teens in this story attempted suicide, and all for different reasons. Whether it be overbearing and harsh parents, torment from previous relationships, or a long life of constant turmoil, these teens have been through it
Emerald
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Syndi
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I can't. I just can not. Do not get me wrong. This book is about suicide. A very sensitive and taboo subject to talk and discuss. Especially when the 3 characters all have mental disorder. It does not make this book more raw.

But the writing is just too slow. I just can not finish it. Just can not.

DNF shelve.
the ending.... 19 99 Nov 23, 2018 10:38AM
2018 Beyond the C...: book review 7 1 5 May 28, 2018 02:37PM
Kaitlyn Hutchcroft 1 1 Apr 12, 2018 10:34AM
Tony? Connor? Vanessa? Discussion! 7 96 Dec 05, 2017 08:42AM
character 1 1 Dec 04, 2017 01:03PM
  • Cut
  • Glimpse
  • What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know, #2)
  • Far from You
  • Crazy
  • Define "Normal"
  • Leftovers
  • Lessons from a Dead Girl
Ellen Hopkins is the New York Times bestselling author of Crank, Burned, Impulse, Glass, Identical, Tricks, Fallout, Perfect, Triangles, Tilt, and Collateral. She lives in Carson City, Nevada, with her husband and son. Hopkin's Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest pages get thousands of hits from teens who claim Hopkins is the "only one who understands me", and she can be visited at ellenhopkin ...more

Impulse (2 books)
  • Perfect (Impulse, #2)
“Love means holding on to someone just as hard as you can because if you don't, one blink and they might disappear...forever.” 928 likes
“Act
on your impulse,
swallow the bottle,
cut a little deeper,
put the gun to your chest.”
606 likes