Start by marking “Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast” as Want to Read:
Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast

Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast

Don’t accept the compromise between fast and beautiful: you can have it all. Phoenix creator Chris McCord, Elixir creator José Valim, and award-winning author Bruce Tate walk you through building an application that’s fast and reliable. At every step, you’ll learn from the Phoenix creators not just what to do, but why. Packed with insider insights, this definitive guide wi ...more
Published January 10th 2016 by The Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Programming Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Phoenix

Start your review of Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast
Daniel
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book probably provides the best introduction you can currently get for the Phoenix web framework. And yet, there were some things I didn't like: The constant raving about how great Phoenix and Elixir are more annoying than motivating. At the same time, the book is a bit too superficial when it comes to explaining Phoenix. It does not really help to understand the underlying concepts. Too often for my taste, it's about what you are supposed to do to build the example application instead of e ...more
Mircea
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall the book is a good introduction to Phoenix - a tutorial on how to build something that leverages Phoenix.

The book tries to cover too much ground and does so in a diluted manner. Completeness is nice, but I think that opening your appetite for more is the essential part and what I normally look for in a technical book like this.
I did not see an explanation of what Phoenix is composed from and pointers to help me dissect it further if I am to use if for anything that's non-trivial.

I also
Вестимир
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
It's been a while since I've read technical book, written in such an accessible way.

The first part gets you in speed in showing Phoenix's structure and standard tooling for classic web applications. The second part is focused on the stuff the framework shines – channels and the integration with OTP.

It got me excited to rewrite some of our apps in Elixir/Phoenix.

One more thing – the dummy application that's used to illustrate these is actually really cool :)
Matt
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical, computing
I liked the first half, it got me up and running with Phoenix pretty quickly.

However, I wasn't a big fan of the second. I couldn't see when I'd use video annotating in any real world scenario, so found it hard to be enthusiastic about the project. I think I would have preferred a chat app, or something similar.

I also felt that the app become overly complicated. Functionally is added for multiple backends, but we only add one. So I became quite confused over what code was needed, versus what was
Summa Smiff
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written by the developers who created Phoenix, this is an invaluable guide for people just starting out in the Elixir framework. It covers the basics of creating an application, using the default Ecto library for database transactions, the use of channels and OTP for concurrency, and testing. Everything you need to know to get started, really.

The form this takes is the now-familiar "create a toy project from scratch" programming book example. As such, all code examples are basic and build on th
George A
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you want to get started with the Phoenix framework, there may be better beginner's guides out there - since I'm still a beginner myself it's hard to judge. But you could definitely do a lot worse than this book. After working through it I feel like I've got a reasonably solid grasp on the fundamentals, and some ideas for what comes next - which is all a beginner can ask for really.

The only other thing I'd say if you're considering buying this is that I wouldn't recommend you bother, or make a
Kevin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be the best programming book I've read to date. I'm probably a tad biased as I love the Elixir language and its ecosystem, but I think the Phoenix framework is simply elegant and powerful. The authors really did a great job at providing just the right amount of context and explanations needed as they take you on a journey to build a modern web-app.

They give you a great overview of how you can get up and running in little time, and how you can extend your application with more modern f
Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
I've read the beta 5.0 version of the new edition of this book (>=1.4) because I think it is not worth reading the old version.
The version I read lacks the final 3 or 4 chapters, about Phoenix Presence, Umbrella Apps and some other topics, but what I read was a great intro to the framework and the way of thinking of an "Elixirian". I hope to get the final version soon with some mistakes fixed and then I will write a more complete review, but meanwhile, if you want to learn Elixir for the web, w
Austin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book walks the reader through the creation of a Phoenix app meant to add annotations to videos.

The most useful part was that covering user authentication. The rest of the book doesn't extend much beyond the online documentation for Phoenix, and it has little of what one might hope for in a book about Phoenix: a systematic overview of Phoenix features and design philosophy.
Shashank
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elixir, programming
A good read and great introduction to phoenix. Get's you up and running. But because the book is written by the framework authors, expected detailed design decisions and why the framework was built the way it is. May be an "In-depth Phoenix" I'm looking for.
Dave Shah
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved working through this. Tip: actually work through everything step by step. The way “Rumbl” was spelled and the way I would typo it let to several errors that actually contributed to my learning. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it helped!
Minh Nhật
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
nhiều insight từ Elixir/Phoenix core member
Jan
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction and kind-of a tutorial. Helps to understand how to structure the code and what you can achieve with Elixir.
Rian Fowler
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Methodical presentation of architecture.
Faiz
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear and probably the most accessible intro to Phoenix & Elixir ...more
Matt
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Programming Phoenix is a joy to read.

While the book is fairly thin, it manages to pass on a lot of knowledge. Novices may feel lost as a lot of the things presented in the book feel like magic - things from channels/websockets to OTP. It's definitely a book for intermediate developers.

The writing is upbeat and clear, which makes the book easy to follow. Knowledge is imparted in a sequence that goes from "things that are out of your comfort zone" to "whoa, this is totally wicked!".

I don't know i
Dustin Farris
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
The first dozen pages or so can be skipped—they are just selling the framework. In fact, about a fifth of the book overall seems to be centered on reiterating the greatness of Phoenix.

Probably my biggest gripe with this book—and with most Phoenix publications out there today in general—is the stream of allusions to Ruby on Rails. The entire introduction is a "why Phoenix is better than Rails" tongue in cheek story. The rest of the book assumes the reader is coming from Rails and explains things
Mohamad El-husseini
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm tentatively giving this four stars. I'm tempted to give it three. When I reread the final release, my rating might go up to five stars. I read the Beta 6 version, so it's hardly fair to rate the book on a prerelease version. However, there were a few things that annoyed me.

In my opinion, the book spent too much time explaining the benefits of functional programming. Most readers reading the book are already sold on the "why." Some of the content in the opening chapters was an unnecessary att
Sebastian Gebski
Reviewed version: Beta 2.0

I won't star-rate it, as it's still an early version (part II is far from being finished), but even at this stage I think I already can recommend this book:

* it's the most comprehensive source of information on Phoenix I've found
* it doesn't try to cover the stuff you can easily find anywhere else: like Elixir syntax or MVC pattern
* plenty of code samples

Some things are described better (plugs, how to write them), some a bit worse (changesets) - but even the latter can
Jeffrey
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading beta 9 (after stopping and starting with earlier betas). This is a solid technical book that covers enough of the Phoenix framework to whet your appetite for more. It has a good balance of explaining the "why" as well as the "how." Besides explicitly choosing not to give examples of full-stack acceptance testing, I can't think of anything that I feel was glossed over. I feel this is the proper go-to intro book the framework needed.

Now I just need to figure out how to work
Geoff Lanotte
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was informative and helpful, I read the beta 4.0 version. My only beef is that everything is done for you and there aren't additional exercises. I feel like I learned more figuring out why certain things weren't working properly than reading the book.

That being said, I think the book did a great job of introducing the reader to Phoenix, Ecto, Plug and how OTP will work with Phoenix. Because of the lack of exercises, it is a quick read/study.

I do plan to give this a once over again aft
Willian Molinari
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text, computers
It is a great book for web developers learning Elixir (yeah, not just Phoenix).

I'm on the path of playing with Elixir and was looking for a book to amplify my knowledge. I first started with Programming Elixir, from Dave Thomas but I was looking for something more practical.

I decided to try Programming Phoenix and found that it shows everything I need to know about Elixir to build a web application. For me, it was really great to start with this one. Now I know what needs to be done to build a
Sebastian Ziebell
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction into the Phoenix Web framework, with a modern sample application that shows most features the framework has to offer, including the full stack, Ecto, Channels, OTP and how to test all aspects of an application. It's a very concise, well explained and easily understandable book. It could have been a bit more comprehensive with a few more examples but there is an increasing number of open source projects written in Elixir & Phoenix already available that cover all aspects. ...more
Marek Suscak
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I usually avoid reading books on a specific technology but I was truly sold on the ideas underlying Elixir and Phoenix and the advertised advantages over competing technologies that I'd decided to give it a try and I must admit this book was different in both breadth and depth. If you follow the code samples, which I highly recommend, you'll build a rather complex, well-factored software system. There are so many great ideas that I definitely recommend learning more about Elixir and Phoenix.
Stefan
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite down to earth, tutorial that will let you get familiar with Phoenix, basis of Ecto and OTP. Heavily focused on testing, maybe at a cost to front-end integrations. Somehow I can't stand the Elixir syntax in print (it's just too taxing), so lengthy snippets didn't really help me much (albeit without these would be impossible to follow narrative). in summary, it does what it says on the tin, not less and sadly not more...
Fernando Almeida
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book. First of all, we have built a standard MVC application, following with some real-time features using web sockets and applying general Elixir/Erlang concepts like supervisors and umbrella applications. I liked the reading, but I think it could detail a little more about testing and debugging.
Gustavo Saiani
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elixir, Phoenix, this ecosystem and the community it spawns are turning out incredible.
The book is taking shape nicely, and is sure to become a very solid introduction to the framework.
The beta is getting great support by the authors behind the scenes.
Definitely recommend it.
Ney Guerrero
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! you'll learn in dept about the Phoenix Framework and Elixir, there's some things that don't work because the book is still in beta, but overall a great experience.
Cameron Irmas

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The C Programming Language
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Architecture Patterns with Python: How to Apply DDD, Ports and Adapters, and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns in a Pythonic Way
  • Remote: Office Not Required
  • Practical Microservices: Build Event-Driven Architectures with Event Sourcing and CQRS
  • The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide
  • Anything You Want
  • American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
  • Bronze Age Mindset

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »