Start by marking “Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The inspiring success of Dr. Stanley Greenspan's unique approach to autism and ASD (autistic spectrum disorders) is known to grateful parents and to professionals throughout the world. Now at last his highly effective and influential program is presented in one clear and accessible volume. A number of innovative, exciting features distinguish Greenspan's approach to autism
Published March 28th 2006 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published March 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Engaging Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging Autism

Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suggested
Read for work. ABA just wasn't all the child I was working with needed, so his behavior therapist started using some floortime techniques. She suggested the boys mother and I read the book. It is a great approach, though one can see aspects of ABA in it as well. My philosophy is that there is no one therapy that works for every person, and one must try to aquire as much knowledge as possible if one is to be a successful therapist.
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: treatments for autism, or attachments and communication
Shelves: aba-professional
Excellent book for professionals in the autism field. Thoroughly explains the DIR approach, an alternative to ABA that focuses on developing basic emotional and relational abilities in order to help higher level thinking and relating skills develop naturally.
Overrated Parenting
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, autism
A very dense, practical book, this is not something you're going to read for fun. However the methods of play that they teach and advocate, I have found to be quite effective. We have had a lot of success, and my son really enjoys both regular play and the special DIR Floortime play method. I'm not saying that it will engage your child overnight, but our kid progressed from very little eye contact and interest in others to a kid that actively asks people to play and voluntarily shares to facilit ...more
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book represents a paradigm shift in how autism is viewed and treated. I was trained as an ABA therapist in college, and when I went on to have a son who I suspected of having autism I was flummoxed to discover ABA really didn't work that well. Through trial and error I've found that we had already been doing a lot of the basics of the Floortime approach and getting results from it, but this gave us something to build off of.

This is not some easy one shot pie in the sky book about a cure. Au
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autismresources
I'm a big fan of Greenspan, and of the floortime approach. Floortime has really helped us break through with our daughter, diagnosed with Autism at age 2. We've been very proactive... providing her with speech, developmental and occupational therapy, as well as enrolling her in a developmental preschool. That said, I still believe floortime to be the greatest source of progress for our daughter. I know not all autistic children have the same struggles, and strengths, but this worked for us!
Julie Akeman
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book shows the best and personally the only therapy for autism I would trust. It enters into the child's world first, if people had entered MY world first when I was young and strugeling then I wouln't have the issues I have in dealing with people. I am on the autism spectrum and this book could have helped me if people knew about how to properly treat autism back then. It's not a cure for autism, but it helps much better in advancing them than most other therapies out there.
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-related
This is one tough book to get through! There is definitely a wealth of information in this thick book, but if it took this bookworm a month to read it imagine how long the average parent would need! I felt that Greenspan included a lot of the theoretical knowledge behind his floortime approach and "scenarios" of how to use the approach with kids who have lots of language. But there was never a chapter that said ....If you want to use Floortime with your child you need to start off by doing A, B, ...more
Amanda Himes
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: autism
This is a classic and well-respected work on treating autism, and yet the floortime approach is really only going to work if your autistic child has some interests that you can be part of. If your child is self-stimulating on a blinking light toy, or perhaps by opening and closing a cabinet door repeatedly, it will be hard to interact with him / her. In my experience, the child won't appreciate efforts to, say, hide a toy in the cabinet and find it together. You and your child with autism need t ...more
R.K. Goff
Jun 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
I'm sure it was chalk full of useful information. It must have been. There were so many pages. I don't want to knock it for that--it was just absolute torture to read. Confusing, poorly illustrated, and mostly impractical (but informative!). It might fill some need out there that I'm not aware of, but I thought it was poorly written for the average Joe wanting to help their child.

Me? I'm hoping that if I go to the how-to chapters in Greenspan's The Child With Special Needs I'll learn what I need
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: speech-language
This rating is for Parts III to V where the Floortime approach is finally, on page 163, introduced. Parts I and II were so painfully dry and boring I almost gave up. I suggest jumping straight in at Part III, as anything worth saying before then is neatly summarised later on.

It then got really good at page 250 with really detailed instructions on how to make Floortime work and take the child's communication skills to the next level. I would like to show our speech therapist pages 283-287 and as
Jul 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: autism
Can I really say I "like" this book? I mean hello -- I would prefer NOT to be reading a book about strategies to help my autistic son fit into the world. (Why no, I'm not bitter, why do you ask? Oh, because of that whole issue where the general public as a whole is not compassionate to people who are different?)

I'm working my way through this and so far the advice is sound and the writing is clear. How's that for a review?
Melissa Wilson
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the book, but there was a lot to it that I have tried with my daughter that didn't have an effect.
These are the most important part of the book that was helpful for me:

Engaging with your son/daughter.
How to Engage with your son/daughter.
Desire to communicate -using gestures.
Limiting tv time
Imaginative play
ages 3-5 start to learn about social rules with other children their age
turning a child's weaknesses into strengths.
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Long and really dry and hard to get through. But, it is one of the absolute best books out there on autism spectrum disorders. As a parent of a child with autism, after reading this book you will understand the theoretical underpinnings of an autism diagnosis and you will learn how to engage with your child using the DIR/Floortime approach. For that alone, it's worth trudging through the long and often dry passages.
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
i have a little friend on the broad spectrum of all lovely children who has autism. Next year, I will be working with him one-on-one and his mom shared the helpful work of Stanley Greenspan and Floortime with me. I focused on these chapters in the book and found them very helpful for being with ALL young children.
Feb 18, 2008 rated it liked it
This book has great ideas for reaching children with autism through social play therapy, but I found it a very laborious read - too much academic wordiness, and too little practical advice for parents. I prefer this book: Autism and Developmental Delays in Young Children: The Responsive Teaching Curriculum for Parents and Professionals: Curriculum Guide by G Mahoney.
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
I have been reading through this book for awhile now, picking it up and reading a few chapters or skimming through as I have time. I like the ideas presented here, of joining the child as a way to get them to join us, rather than expecting them to conform to what we in general find 'appropriate behavior'
I'm sure that as I read more, I will gain much valuable information.
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
As other reviewers have said, this book is written in a rather convoluted fashion. The heart of the material is excellent, but there are no clear and succinct overviews, which is difficult when there is a LOT of information and a lot of different paths to take depending on the child's specific strengths and weaknesses.
Rebekah Smart
Sep 04, 2009 is currently reading it
Although this is a practical guide, it isn't anything revolutionary... Greenspan certainly presents his Floortime method as such, but I'm finding most of his revelations to be standard best practice for working with all children, of all abilities.
Robert Murphy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, autism
The inventor of the "floor time approach" may be out of vogue today, but his point about getting into the world of your child with them and then pulling them somewhere new was very helpful. A useful book.
The theory is OK in this book, but they spend a great deal of time on the history and underpinnings rather than simply teaching you the techniques. They also totally fail to anticipate snags in the process, never addressing how to get past those. With that said, the techniques do work very well.
Lori Malone
A must read for fully understanding how to engage any child.
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
It gave me hope in the sense that this was the first book on autism I read that said no matter where your child is on the spectrum, there is always some way to encourage some sort of engagement
Cindy Berry-riek
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
excellent book on Autism =) highly recommend to any parent of an autistic child. very positive and encouraging
May 05, 2010 is currently reading it
So far... very informative, useful info on development... easy read... engaging enough ive almost missed my stop on the train a couple of times cuz of this book
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books that I can literally say has changed my life. Worth reading for anyone who wants to have a closer relationship with a son or daughter.
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: speech-pathology
Great book detailing a therapy technique for working with children with autism. I am lucky to be working with some very talented clinicians who are implementing this technique.
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Love all of the Greenspan books.
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Can be difficult to read at times, yet the information is exactly what I needed to know.
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
respectful lovely approach,very useful! :)
May 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I felt I should read this was very dense and full of information...I do like the floortime model much better than ABA, but both have their usefulness.
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Integration Issues
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Autism: Explaining the Enigma
  • George and Sam
  • The Boy Who Loved Windows: Opening The Heart And Mind Of A Child Threatened With Autism
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Dealing with and Preventing Out-Of-Control Behavior
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism