Start by marking “Home Place” as Want to Read:
Home Place

Home Place

Deep in the woods there used to be a house where a family once lived. Over there was the chimney. Just imagine little toes warming up beside it. And see those daffodils? Someone took special care to plant and tend to them so that every spring they blossomed as brightly as the year before.

Both the house and the family are gone now, but if you go to that spot in the woods, y

Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Home Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Place

Elizabeth Lancaster
A young girl goes to explore the forest. While there, her family finds the remains of an old house. She examines the traces of the family that used to live there.

I enjoyed the poetic nature of the writing but I think it might make it more difficult for young children to grasp at first. The illustrations were beautiful. I didn't really love the story of the book.

This would be a would be a good way of introducing students to poetic writings. It would also be a great way to show students some dif
Judy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-any-age
I liked the idea but not the actual story. Not enough focus on being observant and noticing clues from which the inferences can follow.

"And if there was a house, ..."
Was the grammar error intentional?
Loraine
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mom, Dad and daughter are hiking the spring forest byways, when they discover a naturalized daffodils "a yellow splash brighter than sunlight, or lamplight, or butter, in the green and shadow of the woods." With the discovery of a vine-covered chimney, a doll's arm and other bits & pieces of a time gone by, they know that someone lived here once, in a home -- once, and that they lived rich and different lives. Crescent Dragonwagon's poetic narrative is evocative and mysterious--her words con ...more
Tracey
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story! I really enjoy books that reminisce. It reminded me of a time I found the foundation and chimney of an old, old house from the 1800s in the woods by my dad's home. It is fun to wonder about the family who once lived in these old home remnants.
Margaret Boling
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9/26/2016 ** Some of my students recently went on a hike, so I decided to choose a book that connected with their field trip. I love how this story intertwines two tales - the modern girl who found ruins, and the story she imagines about the family who might once have lived there.
CFAITC
While out hiking, a family comes upon the site of an old house and finds some clues about the people who once lived there.
Ariel Rudicel
This is such a heart warming story. It Made me tear up a bit! Great illustrations as well!
Angela
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the premise of this book was good. People need to stop and think about the past and if there were historical events that happened where they stand. Illustrations were excellent!
Feb 16, 2016
Feb 21, 2018
Clare savage
Mar 30, 2018
Phoenix Niewidok
rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2013
Sep 03, 2018
Lauren Milam
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Crescent Dragonwagon is the daughter of the writers Charlotte Zolotow and the late Hollywood biographer Maurice Zolotow. She is the author of 40 published books, including cookbooks, children's books, and novels. With her late husband, Ned Shank, Crescent owned the award-winning Dairy Hollow House, a country inn and restaurant in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, for eighteen years. She teaches writing co ...more