Start by marking “Designing Interactions [With CDROM]” as Want to Read:
Designing Interactions [With CDROM]

Designing Interactions [With CDROM]

Published October 18th 2006 by MIT Press (MA) (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Interactions [With CDROM], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Interactions [With CDROM]

Phil
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Haven't read the whole thing yet, but this book needs "History of" in the title because "Designing Interactions" makes it sound like you might actually learn how to.. oh I don't know, DESIGN INTERACTIONS and not just what read about what others did in the past. So far I haven't gained much insight into how to approach problems and not be horrible at this stuff. Someone should make a book called "Poorly Designed Interactions" and explain what not to do, because all this book is telling me to do i ...more
Ninakix
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book might be colossal, but if you take the time to read it, you'll be doubly rewarded. The book is essentially a series of "case studies" on design, but what makes it truly spectacular is that they're actually an odd mix. While some chapters are more theoretical, and impart ideas about interaction design, others tell stories about how things came to be designed the way they were. Finally, others represent research and ideas that are more academic (or "cutting edge," depending on your point ...more
Patricia
Great basics of Interaction Design with interviews with all the pioneers.
May Ling
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Amazing book. I already started recommending it before I finished reading it. If you are trying to start somewhere on thinking about design, particularly digital design, this is a great history that will put you square into the train of thought of it all.

My Notes:
THE POINT OF DESIGN
P. 32 Doug Englebert was really building the computer to augment human intellect (citation "Augmenting the Human Intellect: A conceptual framework". This was the point, though later others realized that buil
Marty
Jul 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: information designers
Shelves: design
Bill Moggridge, designer of the first laptop and best known as one of the founders of IDEO, wrote Designing Interactions to capture what he has seen and learned to highlight the importance of interactive design, including usability, testing and how the most accepted best practices can often wilt vs. the realities of actual users. He mostly succeeds.

Designing Interactions has 10 chapters following the development of the computer and how it was affected by interactive design – and how it helped d
Amber Case
Digital technology has changed the way we interact with everything from the games we play to the tools we use at work. Designers of digital technology products no longer regard their job as designing a physical object--beautiful or utilitarian--but as designing our interactions with it. In Designing Interactions, award-winning designer Bill Moggridge introduces us to forty influential designers who have shaped our interaction with technology. Moggridge, designer of the first laptop computer (the ...more
Iris
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: umbc, hcc, design
The book is more about history and case studies rather than an instructional book as I expected.

Regardless, I found the book really interesting as it told the stories about the development of functions my generation probably takes for granted: copy and paste, the mouse, drop-down menus, etc. When it goes towards the more recent case studies, my favorite was the section about TUI, tangible user interfaces.

My biggest gripe was that it's heavily biased towards Apple. I was also peeved at Electroni
Faz
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I bought this book thinking it would give examples and insight into product and interaction designs. Instead, it is a bunch of very biased case studies. While interesting, it did not meet my expectations. The author is very Apple biased, and much of the content uses them as role models, and praises things such as the iPod, overlooking the deficiencies and predecessors. It also enforces design elements such as simplicity and eliminating the need to inclusion of more advanced operations. While thi ...more
Sean Howard
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone serious about expanding the use of design
This is a tome of a book. An unparalleled work that took Bill Moggridge many years. It opens up a view of the digital interaction design word from a human factors point of view.

For people looking for a "how to" book, this is likely not of interest.

For someone looking to gain insight into the vision, models and approach of some of the greatest designers of our era, this is a wonderful keepsake.
Amy
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: design, ux-canon
This book was not what I expected. I hoped for how-to guidelines and novel interaction techniques. Instead, I got a detailed history of interaction design, mostly from the perspective of IDEO and Apple. While quite good as an historical text, Designing Interactions isn't quite what the title advertises.
Jaireh
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interfacedesign
A wonderful book that expanded my thinking horizons. If you are an experienced interaction designer who wants to understand the historical underpinnings of the most commonplace interaction metaphors of today, this is the book of you. A great case study too on good design covering various "interaction design" domains.... This book is just A+
MK
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis
A beautiful book, and very interesting if you want a look at how some of our common technological tools (the computer mouse, iPod/iTunes, the desktop metaphor) came to be. As someone with practically zero design background, I really enjoyed this book as a look into the process of user-centered design in a variety of fields.
Ryan Parman
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book covers interaction design very broadly, and is not specific to any particular medium. It's ~500 pages long, but there are lots of illustrations and it's more about understanding the core concepts of interaction design than it is about reading every single word in the book.
Paul Romine
Feb 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Kind of boring, and not really useful to anyone looking for practical knowledge. Ok as a pure history book, I guess.
Nathan Bussiere
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web, ux
This book is awesome. Great stories, great insight, and great inspiration.
Alice
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usability
A very interesting history of design through the 80's/90's and into the 21st century. Well designed book, but maybe a little over-ambitious. It sort of peters out toward the end.
Callie
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this as a text book for a design seminar I taught in 2007. I think it's a great book in general, but felt there were some holes: it was very Apple / Silicon Valley focused.
Eugene
Mar 25, 2007 is currently reading it
If you want to know what I get geeked about) and the kinds of things I want to get into).
Skate
Apr 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: ux
An interesting read with lots of historical references, quotes, and interviews from pioneers in the Interactive Design / User Experience realm.
Diego Sánchez
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: design, innovation
A good book to understand the history of interfaces
Rick Thomchick
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: slis
Did not care for hefty textbook format.
Reese
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usability
Great look at the history of interaction design... but nothing there for the learning and application of it.

Would be a great personal library addition for design geeks though.
Luke Krzysztofiak
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Then new school. Now old school.
Alyssa
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
This book talks about designing interactions but only touches on the surface, no real depth to the topic of knowledge but a good starting point or overview of Interactions.
Chris Wang
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hci-ux-ixd
This is the book for IxD thinkers, for people who want to figure out why interaction design even exists and why we are designing for interaction.
Joe Wright
Jan 26, 2008 is currently reading it
Interesting apple propaganda.
Tina
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: design-art
this book is still a classic, but already a bit outdated.
Karen
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Justin Wood
Recommended to Karen by: Objectified
Shelves: 1read_chunks_of
Pretty jargony and opaque... not what I was expecting from Moggridge's funny, human, open, and warm appearance in Objectified. Oh well, I still want to live in his house.
Alvin
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book about the design process, but some of the stuff they spotlight at the end is really creepy, and kind of illustrates how designers can make some dumb shit. Like the poop bags for kids.
Michel
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to, cultures
My new iMac doesn't even have a Cd-rom reader.
A 7-year old mostly obsolete book! Things are just too fast, "I'm too old for this shit…"

• Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • The Persona Lifecycle : Keeping People in Mind Throughout Product Design
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Bill was the director of the Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, the only museum in the United States devoted exclusively to historic and contemporary design. He designed the first laptop computer, the Grid Compass. He describes his career as having three phases, first as a designer with projects for clients in ten countries, second as a co-founder of IDEO where he developed desig ...more