Start by marking “When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)” as Want to Read:
When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)

When Falcons Fall

(Sebastian St. Cyr #11)

Ayleswick-on-Teme, England, 1813. Sebastian has come to this seemingly peaceful Shropshire village to honor a slain friend and to learn more about his own ancestry. But when the body of a lovely widow is found on the banks of the River Teme, a bottle of laudanum at her side, the village’s inexperienced new magistrate turns to St. Cyr for help. Almost immediately Sebastian ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about When Falcons Fall, please sign up.
Sue Mccormack It is in reference to the scene in Chapter 12 where Hero and Charles Bonaparte watch a falcon take down a pigeon. It is classic foreshadowing - the…moreIt is in reference to the scene in Chapter 12 where Hero and Charles Bonaparte watch a falcon take down a pigeon. It is classic foreshadowing - the predator comes out of the sky - unseen, focused - and with little effort kills its prey. (less)

Start your review of When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
Julie
When Falcons Fall by C.S. Lewis is a 2016 NAL publication.

Sebastian and Hero travel to the remote area of Shropshire village, to honor his friend, Jamie, a man who bore an uncanny resemblance to Sebastian. It is possible, that as Sebastian visits Jamie’s next of kin, that he may finally get a few long -awaited answers about his own family.

However, once he arrives, he finds himself working a difficult case in which a young widow, a newcomer to the village, has died. Initially, the death is
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
I just love this series. This is the 11th book in the Sebastian St. Cyr Series. I now have to wait for the next book to come out and wait like everyone else. So much has gone on in this series. It is so hard to write a review because I have friends that are still reading this series and I don't want them to know some of the changes. The books in this series just seem to get better and better.

Devlin cannot go anywhere without a murder happening in the vicinity. A young woman, Emma Chance, has
Diane S ☔
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic series this is and what a great character is Sebastian St. Cyr. The Viscount Devlin. This one finds his lordship in Shropshire once again following leads that will lead to the answers of his parentage, that which he is always seeking. He finds himself embroiled in the case of a murdered young woman, who had been traveling under an assumed name. Dangerous deceptiond abound, and before the case is solved this small village will divulge its secrets aided by the tenacity of a man ...more
Carolyn
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, mystery, historical
This is an excellent murder mystery in what is an excellent series. Sebastian and Hero has travelled to a small village in Shropshire to find out more about his father. While he is there a young woman on a sketching trip is found dead, supposedly by suicide but when Sebastian sees her body he finds signs that suggest murder. Drawn into the investigation, he uncovers many dark secrets from the past as well as the present. He also learns a little more about his parentage and the necklace owned by ...more
Jonetta
Sebastian St. Cyr and his wife, Hero, head to Ayleswick, Shropshire to meet Jamie Knox's grandmother. He has something to deliver to her but hopes to learn more about his paternity. Unfortunately, he walks right into a suspicious death in the small village and the young, inexperienced squire enlists his aid in determining if the young woman, Emma Chance, committed suicide or was murdered.

I really liked this mystery because the pursuit revealed so much more about the town's history, spanning
Phrynne
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was one of the best so far in this wonderful series of excellent books! I liked that there was a lot less political stuff to understand and also no Jarvis at all. His machinations are frequently beyond my comprehension. I also really enjoyed watching (view spoiler)
Kudos to the author for delaying any real discovery about Sebastian's father for yet another
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Ayleswick-on-Teme, 1813. A young girl is found dead on the banks of the River Teme with a bottle of laudanum by her side. The local constable thinks it's suicide, but the young inexperienced magistrate is not so sure and turns to Sebastian St. Cyr for help. Sebastian is in the village with his wife and young son to visit the family of a dead friend. But, he is also there trying to find out more about his ancestry. Now, he must figure out who would kill a young girl who just like Sebastian came ...more
Hollis
Barely four hours after my review for book ten, where I said the following, Also if, like, Seb and Jarvis can go one book without threatening to kill each other? Might make a nice change. It'll never happen but hey. A girl can dream... and my dream came true! Mostly because this instalment doesn't take place in London, ergo, Jarvis doesn't make an appearance, but hey. It counts.

Anyway, this was an interesting change of pace that I enjoyed because it broke the monotony of some of the same old
Emma
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this but not as much as usual. I prefer the London setting and the political intrigues of Jarvis.
Sophia
The last book left me in tears and shock in the end, but also a stronger need for more from this ongoing story of Sebastian St. Cyr and his wife, Hero. The promise of a strong clue into his mysterious and unknown father was the end of that book and is what sends Sebastian and Hero into the adventure and mystery of this latest book.

While each book supplies a new mystery for Sebastian to solve with Hero's help, this is a series that works best read in order as the story of Sebastian's past and his
Blackjack
Wonderful entry in the Sebastian St. Cyr stories and perhaps one of the best, if not the best, yet. Unlike the previous ten books, this 11th story takes Sebastian, Hero, and baby Simon completely out of London for the entire book, as they head out to the countryside to connect with Jamie Knox's family. Sebastian quietly hopes too that this sojourn can shed some light on his own mysterious lineage and help him understand better how he fits in with Jamie's parentage and whether or not he and Knox ...more
Jaclyn
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C.S. Harris’ eleventh installment in her Sebastian St. Cyr series takes the dashing viscount out of London and into the countryside when Sebastian and his wife investigate Sebastian’s mysterious parentage. However, Sebastian’s personal quest is stalled when, during their stay at Ayleswick-on-Teme, none other than Napoleon Bonaparte’s nephew discovers a young woman’s body. The young squire charged with seeking justice is quick to ask for Sebastian’s support and it soon become apparent that this ...more
Ira
I couldn't guess who is the villain until the very late, boo!
It's getting darker and too many victims this time.

It happened while Sebastian and Hero visited the family of their 'friend' who got killed in the previous book. It's a beautiful village by the River Teme.

description

And it was lovely to see a deepen connection between Sebastian and Hero:)

description

Young Master Simon St. Cyr? Oh he was growing, also mama and papa loves him very much and he knew it. His favourite pastime? Pulling papa's nose!:)

One more
Nancy
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of the Sebastian St. Cyr mystery series. They are set in the Regency period in England and are very well researched. In this book, Sebastian finds more pieces to the puzzle of who his father actually is. He goes to a small village to honor the wishes of Jamie Knox to get a nightingale music box to his grandmother and becomes embroiled in a murder. In solving the murder, many secrets both old and new are brought to light.
Mei
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Sebastian wants to know who's his father and following the leads left after Jamie's death he and Hero are in a bucolic little town where Jamie was born.

Obviously they stumble on a murder. A young woman is found dead, but who is she?

A very interesting mystery as usual where politics and old supposed suicides mash together.

There're some really domestic moments where both Hero and Sebastian interact with their child that were so tender!
Tracy
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again a gripping mystery. I’m struck by how nothing has changed politically in 200 years. Wealthy men exploit and destroy young woman while filling their own pockets.
Veronica
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this series that I haven't already said? It's my absolute favorite historical mystery series and this book is certainly worthy of helping the series to maintain that status. After the rather sad events of the last book, Sebastian has arrived at an idyllic rural village in Shropshire with his wonderful wife, Hero, at his side. His motives for making the journey are deeply personal but no sooner has he arrived before the shadow of a mysterious death begins to pull at his ...more
kris
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, heads to the small village of Ayleswick-on-Teme per the final request of a dead man that Sebastian feels super responsible for. In addition to an entire cadre of servants, his boss-ass wife Hero and their six-month old son join him. AND OF COURSE THERE'S MURDER. Soon Sebastian's little sojourn into the countryside has become a LITERAL BLOODBATH as the bodycount nears the double digits I AM NOT EVEN EXAGGERATING THAT MUCH.

1. I like the ones where Hero is
*The Angry Reader*
Best book in the series - and that’s saying something. The mystery was tip-top. We got a break from London and all that it entails. Sebastian wasn’t bogged down bickering with the same jackasses. His love life has never been better - and there was a touching scene between the two of them that I never thought I’d see.

I enjoyed the small town setting. I liked the politics. I loved the love.

Veronica
Doing a re-read via audiobook! Davina Porter does an excellent job as usual. My original rating still stands and my review is here. Now I anxiously await the new release in April 2017.
Usha
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
I absolutely love this series.
Rhi
Ahhh, much better! Harris got a bit off her game the last 2-3 books, but her 11th foray into Sebastian St. Cyr's Regency adventures put her back on track in a big way. Though I was disappointed in those few books, I had faith in her ... she's that good an author!

A bit of a summary...
A beautiful young widow arrives in the quiet village of Ayleswick-on-Teme on a sketching tour. When her body is found with an empty bottle of laudanum beside it, it is presumed she took her own life for some sad,
LJ
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Sentence: It was the fly that got to him.

Sebastian St. Cyr, is wife Hero, and infant son, Devlin have travelled to Ayleswick-on-Teme in order to fulfill a promise to his half-brother, and to find out more about his own background. The village’s inexperienced magistrate, having heard of St. Cyr, asks his help in investigating the supposed suicide of a young woman visiting their town. However, it becomes apparent that the suicide was murder, and the woman was not who she said. Was she
Lauren
When Falcons Fall
4 Stars

Sebastian St. Cyr and his wife, Hero, have travelled to the Shropshire countryside on a personal quest. But when a young widow is found dead, the local magistrate turns to Sebastian for help. It soon becomes clear that the victim is not quite who she seemed and exposing the dark secrets of a small village can have deadly consequences.

There are numerous characters and motivations to keep track of in this installment and it can get confusing at times. Nevertheless, the
Angela
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sebastian St Cyr's continues it's reign as one of the top series for me. The mysteries continue to be intriguing and mind baffling. No clue who the murderer was, but when all the pieces were laid out before me, it made sense.

The atmospheric writing of the series is a true highlight for me. It's the little details that Harris get's right. From the tree scrapping on the window to a hand even in death moving with the flow of the river. When reading a Harris book, you know that she's done her
Liz
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me first say that I adore this series and I’ve been reading it for years. I wait patiently for one the newest one to be released each year and then the book simply goes by way too fast.

Sebastian becomes involved in this latest murder investigation at the behest of the local justice of the peace while visiting Shropshire for another purpose entirely. A woman is murdered and it’s made to appear as if she took her own life. This particular case becomes intensely personal for Sebastian as he
Carol
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read but I was missing more of the input from the Doctor and Jarvis who liven up the story lines. I also think the role Hero plays was lacking as I enjoy her input in the plots of the books. I am a bit confused as to why the protagonist is so obsessed re his parentage, but it does progress the storyline a bit. I personally think it is irrelevant, but.....
Paraphrodite
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2019
4 stars.

Sebastian takes Hero, Simon and his whole household to visit the village of the slain lookalike Jamie Knox's grandmother, hoping she has answers to his own ancestry.

However, shortly arriving there, he's asked by the young squire to assist in determining the cause of death of a young widow. And as Sebastian delve into the mystery of the widow's death, he discovers numerous secrets lying beneath the seemingly bucolic little village....

I liked that with this instalment, we're back to a
Teresa
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Another solid outing, though not my favorite of the series. I initially loved that the setting took us to a small country town, but after awhile it was too much time spent with a lot of people I hardly knew. There were still plenty of moments to enjoy, and I already feel myself dragging my feet as I near the end.
Mary
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Falcons Fall is another good entry in the Sebastian St
Cyr mystery series. I especially like the scenes with Sebastian and Hero. I would recommend this series to those who like historical mysteries. It should be read in order.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 14 21 Oct 07, 2018 08:18PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 15 16 Oct 07, 2018 08:13PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question Q 8 16 Oct 07, 2018 08:11PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 11 19 Oct 07, 2018 06:23AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 10 16 Oct 07, 2018 06:14AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 11 17 Oct 07, 2018 06:07AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 11 18 Oct 07, 2018 06:06AM

• Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery Book 3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • A Regimental Murder (Captain Lacey, #2)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Treacherous Is the Night (Verity Kent, #2)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
Candice Proctor, aka C.S. Harris and C.S. Graham, is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than a dozen novels including the Sebastian St. Cyr Regency mystery series written under the name C.S. Harris, the new C.S. Graham thriller series co-written with Steven Harris, and seven historical romances. She is also the author of a nonfiction historical study of the French Revolution. Her books ...more

Sebastian St. Cyr (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)