Start by marking “The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook” as Want to Read:
The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook

The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook

Elixir is a functional programming language built on the Erlang virtual machine. It combines the productivity and expressivity of Ruby with the concurrency and fault-tolerance of Erlang. Elixir makes full use of Erlang's powerful OTP library, which many developers consider the source of Erlang's greatness, so you can have mature, professional-quality functionality right ...more
Published April 2015 by Manning

To ask other readers questions about The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook, please sign up.
Brandon Fulk I am! I have a couple of internal tools using elixir. Trying to incorporate it into the core app.

Working my way through this book. Thought if you were…more

Working my way through this book. Thought if you were a fan of Go's goroutines, you'd love the OTP framework for concurrency. This gives a pretty good overview of some of the tooling around it. Worth checking out.(less)

Start your review of The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was asking myself a question - do we really need another book about Elixir? I mean - there are not that many already present, but those that are represent a truly remarkable quality ("Elixir in Action", "Programming Elixir"). So, what's the point?

Fortunately this book aims a specific niche (& it helps to make it stand out a bit) - it's far less about Elixir & far more about OTP (the platform). Intro to the language itself does not cover everything, just what is need to start playing
Brandon Fulk
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of OTP. I thought theme throughout the book to implement OTP and erlang/elixir features was the most useful. It helps break through the magical aspects of these features and reason about how one would implement these into a larger system. I thought the Supervisor tree was the most useful section but the distributed/fault tolerance chapters were the most fun and impressive.

Would recommend to those that want to get a good taste of what comprises OTP.
Geoff Lanotte
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that has some familiarity with Elixir that wants to learn OTP
This was a good book that went into Elixir and specifically OTP in good detail, it did not spend too much time on the basics at all. The challenge with this book will be that elixir is moving so fast, some of the code was dated by the time that I went to code up some of the examples. I was able to find most of the answers to my problems and that helped me understand what was happening even more.

This is by design an intermediate book, and I think some priming would be helpful before jumping into
Samuel
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is not a book by which to learn Elixir. It _is_ the book to learn processes and OTP, but it helps to be familiar with many of the concepts ahead of time.
Justin Smith
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good book on OTP. What other book involves making a Chuck Norris joke server that is resilient as Chuck Norris himself.
Gábor László Hajba
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. As its title already states it is a guidebook on how to use Elixir and OTP together. It has valuable examples which give you a good start and options to explore further.
Paul
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of Elixir & OTP!
Edham Arief
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An in depth look into OTP and Elixir. A bit hard for beginners but good for medium to advance level Elixir practitioners.

Do the examples yourself to grasp the inner power of OTP, ETS etc.
Dimitri Kurashvili
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a good book. But a bit outdated already.
Elixir tutorials on OTP are quite good and kept updated.
Maciej Woźniak
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are new to Elixir / OTP this is definitely a must-read. However, for those new to Elixir, I recommend reading Programming Elixir: Functional > Concurrent > Pragmatic > Fun first. That's because "Little Elixir..." does not delve much into Elixir as a language but rather concentrates on its concurrency and other OTP features.
And that's what I really like about it - it addresses the areas hard to find in other Elixir books - like property based testing or concurrency testing.
The
Marek Suscak
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Tidy little book on Elixir & OTP. Very good resource for starters.
Dimitrios
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish the book covered other OTP behaviours like gen_event, gen_fsm, gen_statem
Bjoern Rochel
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good intermediate level book on Elixir. I particularly liked the chapter about Links & Monitors and the chapter where a Poolboy clone is built.
Artjom
Jul 14, 2017
Stephen
Jan 14, 2019
Benjamin
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Koll
Jun 28, 2016
Alan Tran
Nov 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Functional Web Development with Elixir, Otp, and Phoenix: Rethink the Modern Web App
  • Programming Elixir: Functional |> Concurrent |> Pragmatic |> Fun
  • Elixir in Action
  • Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Kubernetes in Action
  • Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs,  and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers
  • The Suitcase
  • The Rust Programming Language
  • The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
  • Programming Ecto
  • Phoenix in Action
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
  • Géopolitique du moustique : Petit précis de mondialisation IV (Documents)
  • The Deadline: A Novel about Project Management
  • Making Sense of Stream Processing
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Benjamin is a Software Engineer at Pivotal Labs, Singapore.

He is the author of The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook (Manning Publications) and The Ruby Closures Book (The Pragmatic Bookshelf).

Deathly afraid of being irrelevant, is always trying to catch up on his ever-growing reading list.