Start by marking “Windows® Internals (PRO-Developer)” as Want to Read:
Windows® Internals (PRO-Developer)

Windows® Internals (PRO-Developer)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

See how the core components of the Windows operating system work behind the scenes—guided by a team of internationally renowned internals experts. Fully updated for Windows Server® 2008 and Windows Vista®, this classic guide delivers key architectural insights on system design, debugging, performance, and support—along with hands-on experiments to experience Windows inter

Hardcover, Fifth Edition, 1232 pages
Published June 17th 2009 by Microsoft Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Windows® Internals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows® Internals

Michael Finocchiaro
I referred to Windows Internal 5th Edition in my post last week “Me and Windows”. I completed the book this week and thought I’d give you a small review.

The book starts out great. The first chapter on Concepts and Tools is about as informative and useful as any introduction to a technical book that I have ever read. It definitely puts a big hunger in your tummy to read more. I was really impatient to get to Chapter 9 about Memory Management but didn’t want to jump ahead…

Chapter 2 about System Ar
Steve Schardein
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Bible of everything Windows, written by the god of everything Windows. This is a fantastic, exhaustive, detailed, and largely technical reference to the underlying mechanisms of Windows.
Jeff
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is huge (i.e. heavy!) and one of the rare times that I can honestly say that it met and often exceeded my expectations for technical depth.

If you want to know *exactly* what happens when you call CreateProcess, it's in there. If you want to know step-by-step what happens when you see the "Starting Windows" process at boot time, it's in there. If you want to know the architecture of the core NT kernel and its subsystems (e.g. Memory Manager, Plug & Play subsystem, Hardware Abstracti
Mohammad Elsheimy
Jul 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: windows, favorites
Although, SysInternals Suite is a MUST-HAVE package for software experts, I didn't like the way they promote this package in the book.

Moreover, there're slight differences between 4th and 5th editions just few pages (compared to the whole book :P) describe those differences. Why reader must buy that 1232-pages book just to read those few pages?
Nitin
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Anyone working on windows must read this book to understand the internals of windows. Core concepts very well explained.
Jeremy Hurren
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: computer-science
This is a good book, and although many people will probably think I am crazy for saying this, I wish it went into even more depth. As a systems programmer, I can use everything I can get my hands on.
Nick Black
Definitely the APitUE for NT. I'm so happy not to have needed to use closed source software this past decade.
---
need to read up on IOPC for my thesis. not very happy about it.
Josh Grissom
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • The Old New Thing: Practical Development Throughout the Evolution of Windows
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
  • File System Forensic Analysis
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming
  • Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel (Addison-Wesley Software Security)
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel
  • The Practice of System and Network Administration
  • Windows Powershell in Action
  • C# in Depth
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
  • Learn you some Erlang for great good!
  • Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Programming Windows

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud operating system group. Russinovich is a widely recognized expert in Windows operating system internals as well as operating system architecture and design.

Russinovich joined Microsoft when Microsoft acquired Winternals software, the company he cofounded in 1996 and where he worked as Chief Software Architect. He is also c
More about Mark Russinovich...