Start by marking “Beautiful Broken Things” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  5,384 Ratings  ·  784 Reviews
I was brave
She was reckless
We were trouble

Best friends Caddy and Rosie are inseparable. Their differences have brought them closer, but as she turns sixteen Caddy begins to wish she could be a bit more like Rosie – confident, funny and interesting. Then Suzanne comes into their lives: beautiful, damaged, exciting and mysterious, and things get a whole lot more complicated.
Published February 25th 2016 by Macmillan Children's Books (UK) (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Broken Things, please sign up.
E M M A You could say that it is. Both protagonists are similar, yet Since You've Been Gone focuses on the protagonist, Emily, and her journey to finding…moreYou could say that it is. Both protagonists are similar, yet Since You've Been Gone focuses on the protagonist, Emily, and her journey to finding herself; whereas Beautiful Broken Things revolves around the protagonist's friends and the complexities of their friendship. Both grow as people, though Emily does that on her own and Caddy does that through another person. The fundamental plot, concentrating on the protagonists, follows a similar pattern; but with Beautiful Broken Things, there are many underlying themes, all woven in to create a story that is individual and rare, and with that in consideration, makes it incomparable to Since You've Been Gone. Read Since You've Been Gone if you're looking for no less than a light read. Read Beautiful Broken Things if you're looking for more. Read both if you have the time.(less)
Matt Rose Matt Rose I plan to place this book in the fiction collection in the grades 5 - 10 library. I would feel comfortable recommending it to at least one…moreMatt Rose I plan to place this book in the fiction collection in the grades 5 - 10 library. I would feel comfortable recommending it to at least one of my mature grade 5 students. Grades 8 - 10 would be the age range most interested in this story.(less)

Emily May
"Not that I'm complaining, but my life up to the age of sixteen had been steady and unblemished. My parents were still married, my best friend had been constant for over ten years, I'd never been seriously ill and no one close to me had died."

This book should have been right up my alley. It's British YA about the jealousies, passions and conflicts involved in teen girl friendships. I love books that explore this subject - the way teenage girls get so wrapped up in one another, loving and hatin
Sara
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
What's the etiquette for rating your own book?

Thought it was pretty good, yeah...
C.G. Drews
AGH THIS BOOK. But I have to say right up front: this is a very well written and extremely-hard-to-put-down book! I'm not rating it particularly high, however, because this kind of story line always bothers me. I don't feel like the book had any sort of conclusion? And it left me feeling kind of "grrr"...which is so ELOQUENT of me. I know.

Okay...lemme explain.

This book is about friendship and growing up and trainwrecks. Not literal trainwrecks. FIGURATIVE ones. So, because of that, it was hard
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful
happy. lovely. carefree.

Broken
sad. defeated. lost.

Things
caddy. rosie. suzanne.

I was brave.
dull, nice caddy, interesting at last. interesting enough, fun enough to be spontaneous. to go out in the middle of night, and just talk to her best friend. isn't that what everybody wants to be? isn't that what being on the edge of 16 is like?

She was reckless
abused. fubar. lashing out. the only out suzie knew was to be different. to not be herself. to be free from the pain. but was she h
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, abuse, rebellion, school, family.

Well, that was pretty heartbreaking.

When I was reading this book, I couldn't help but think that I was reading something significant. This isn't your usual story about teen romance. Instead it's about all of the trials and tribulations of friendship. And that friendship was so real, so complicated, that I couldn't help but smile and laugh and cry along with the ups and downs.

The lack of romance in this book was refreshing. The head-on tackle
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
After some thinking , this book does deserve 4 stars instead of 3. I love A Quiet Kinf of Thunder a thousand times more, but this was such a great read still. Though sometimes very hard to read for me. It's not the light contemporary read I expected for some reason, it's pretty heavy actually.
The only noc of this book (for me) and the reason why I initially gave it 3 stars, is the MC. I did have a few problems with her.

*********************************************

*3/5 stars*

“People we love come
sue

You know when you start one of those books that you just know, you have an inner gut feeling "This is gonna be a good 'un?"
Well, let me tell you, this surely is.

This brings out emotions in you constantly from laughter to tears of sadness.

The main characters are Caddy, Rosie and Suzanne.
You know or remember, those feelings you had as a teenager, wanting, no...needing to be accepted by your peers. Wanting everyone to 'like' you.
All those confusing thoughts that go on inside your head and worrying
Liz Barnsley
Beautiful Broken Things was a gorgeous read – totally heartbreaking, totally heartwarming, happy, sad and all the things inbetween. Yep up and down like a yo-yo I was during the reading of this one. And boy did I cry great big fat tears at the end. I’m going to miss Caddy, Rosie, Suzanne et al.

Caddy and Rosie have been friends forever – despite going to different schools they have their own rhymes and rhythms and know each other inside and out. Enter new girl Suzanne – Rosie introduces her into
Alice Oseman
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL BROKEN THINGS is a book that the YA world desperately needs - a book about the beauty, passion and extremities of female friendship. Barnard perfectly captures the drama and chaotic emotions that contemporary girls experience in their teens and presents the reader with three complex protagonists whose relationships are built up and torn apart without reservation. BBT is a deeply affecting coming-of-age novel free of cliché, and I have not read a book in a long time that so accurately p ...more
Holly Bourne
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is exquisite, and exactly what YA needs. Books about female friendships! I still can't get over how REAL this story was, every single part of it was perfectly realised. It was so sophisticated in how it was written, with beautiful BEAUTIFUL prose, and yet it never once dragged and I raced through it. It deals with difficult topics with sensitivity and humour, and doesn't once patronise the subjects it tackles. I am so excited to see what Sara writes next. This author is one to watch!
Tran Thanh Tu
Wow... I just need some time to get it all in. This is such a heartbreaking yet beautiful writing, just like what the name has shown us: "Beautiful Broken Things".
It's a really brilliant story about true friendship and a lot of healings even though things get all messed up and in the end, we all realise how our best friends are, always coming back for us as they truly love who we are.
Stacey (prettybooks)
If you're looking for books about female friendship, Beautiful Broken Things is an excellent place to start. It has one of the most honest accounts of friendship I've read so far. It tackles that intense feeling experienced when one of your best friends becomes better friends with someone else and what it's like to see your friendship falling away – and not knowing what to do about it.

Caddy and Rosie are super close until new girl Suzanne comes along. She's interesting and fun and beautiful. Cad
Lauren James
Apr 28, 2015 added it
Shelves: ukya
An absolutely stunning debut by an exciting new author. I was swept up in the lives of Caddy, Suzanne and Rosie from the very first page. Stories about female friendships are hard to come by, especially ones with no romance, but Beautiful Broken Things fills that gap in an intensely compelling and passionate way.

Caddy is jealous of Suzanne, the new girl who seems to be taking her best friend Rosie away from her. But this jealously ends up taking them all places they weren't expecting, when Suza
Lexie
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Hm. Not sure how to feel about this book. I didn't particularly enjoy reading it, but I felt it was important to read it.

Then again, we tend to feel similarly about regular dentist visits. Thus the three stars.

I will say - definitively and without a doubt - that Beautitul Broken Things doesn't feel like a debut. It felt, for all intents and purposes, like the twentieth book written by an established, confident, insightful author.

Then again, we tend to say the same thing about academic studies. T
Dannii Elle
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My poor heart!

This is the story of best friends Caddy and Rosie and what happens to their friendship when their ranks are infiltrated by new girl Suzanne. She is rebellious and restless. She is erratic and emotional. She is trouble and troubled. She promises the lives and friendships of all those around her will never be the same again.

On the surface, this seems a deceptively shallow and fluffy read. I had wrongly assumed the emphasis would be on boy drama and an overdose of teenage angst. In r
P42
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
description

RECENZJA FILMOWA - https://youtu.be/8Od7-TtgSqA

Dałbym 5/5, ale nie mam porównania do innych książek w tym gatunku, więc mogę przeceniać PZS :)

+ zachowania bohaterów, które znam ze swojego życia
+ porusza ważny temat/problem
+ napięcie rośnie powoli, ale prowadzi do bardzo ciekawej kulminacji
- pierwsze kilkadziesiąt stron, które trzeba przebrnąć

NO I TO WYDANIE.

description
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
A beautiful book that broke my heart, caused 1am ugly crying and hit too close to home on multiple occasions, Beautiful Broken Things is a story about that intense friendship you have in your teens and what happens when a best friend breaks your heart.

I’m not using my usual format to review this book because there’s so much I want to talk about.
First there’s Caddy, our main character. She’s BFF with Rosie, who goes to a different school and meets Suzanne, the new girl, and clicks with her. Wanti
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
This was definitely a good contemporary that's very different from others. Still not sure what to rate it though, need to do some thinking on this one.

RTC
Lia
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first thing that started to annoy me was Caddy’s (who the hell calls their kid Cadnam btw??) mild obsession with wanting a boyfriend and losing her virginity. She’s sixteen… and her friends all seem to agree on this fact. But this aside, Caddy was a nice character. But that’s pretty much all there is about her: she’s nice. There’s nothing wrong with that persé. But I also didn’t like any of the other characters. They all seemed to have one ‘main thing’, Caddy was the nice one, Suzanne was th ...more
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

i love books about friendships. this was really good

rtc
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: panmacmillan
I'm a strong advocate for female friendships being represented in young adult novels, but this isn't what I had in mind. Beautiful Broken Things irritated me and I feel this is one book focused on the female teen friendships that readers could have done without.

The storyline is told through the eyes of Caddy, a wealthy private school student who's only complaint is that her life isn't interesting and her school uniform is hideous. She has two parents who care for her, she wants for nothing but y
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

DNF at 60%

Beautiful Broken Things is about two best friends – Rosie and Caddy – whose friendship have been interrupted by Suzanne, a new girl in town. Suzanne, in their eyes, is beautiful, mysterious, damaged, and exciting. Suzanne’s past slowly gets revealed, and things get complicated. Caddy loves the new trouble in her life, and she’s finally having fun.

I had a lot of high expectations of Beautiful Broken Things due to the many raving rev
Jeanette
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
3.5/5
weronika
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
i have to think more about this book as it's hard for me to have a clear opinion on it...
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Pan Macmillan Australia for review.

There was one main aspect of Beautiful Broken Things that I adored, and that was the fact that it was about friendship. There is so often a focus on romance in YA books, and it’s so refreshing to read about friendship, which is just as intense and important as romantic love.

The friendship between Caddy, Rosie, and Suzanne was, in a word: toxic. In the beginning, Caddy is extremely jealous of Suzanne, because she’s shiny and
Hollie (hollieblog)
I love reading books set in Britain, and it's kind of a sad sentence. Because despite living in the UK, and having a passion for books, I still find it difficult to find them set in Britain and written by British authors. So, when I do, I snap them up pretty quickly.

Beautiful Broken Things was no exception. And, since it was in the Zoella Book Club last year, I thought it'd be nice to pick up a book that supported a campaign to get young people reading, as well as hearing that it touches on seri
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Captivating. Painfully real. For big and bigger girls.
---
Piękna. Porywająca. Boleśnie prawdziwa. Opowieść o przyjaźni dla dużych i większych dziewczynek.
Alex
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She interrupted me. "I think it makes non-sad people feel better. Like they think it must be a good thing to be sad, because you're getting all this insight into real life and pain or whatever. Like how people say tears are rain. Fuck off. Tears are just tears and they make your eyes hurt and they won't stop when you want them to."
Nicola
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

The main character isn't relatable.
Caddy was difficult to connect with. She's determined to have some "Significant Life Events" because she thinks her life is boring as nothing sad or difficult has happened to her. I can understand the teenage need to not be boring and to have some cool stories to tell that make you stand out, but her real craving for them wasn't always easy to understand. Especially when she's comparing herself to her sister with bipolar and her best friend whose youn
Kirsty
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have spent the last few months worried that I was going off reading. Everything I picked up wasn't keeping me interested at all and I thought maybe I have saturated myself. Then this beautiful little book came along.

Beautiful broken things is a perfect example of why I love UKYA so much. It has a brilliantly engaging story which I found myself unable to put down for very long because I was desperate to know more about what was going to happen. The main characters Caddy, Rosie and Suzanne drew
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Drop
  • Othergirl
  • Crush
  • When Michael Met Mina
  • One Would Think the Deep
  • Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)
  • Lorali
  • Blue (Blue, #1)
  • Monster
  • Me and Mr J
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • Counting Stars

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
“But people we love come and go, Caddy. That doesn’t mean we loved them any less at the time.” 36 likes
“Everyone says apologizing works, but it never really does. Not quickly enough anyway.” 18 likes