Start by marking “The Explorers: Stories of Discovery and Adventure from the Australian Frontier” as Want to Read:
The Explorers: Stories of Discovery and Adventure from the Australian Frontier

The Explorers: Stories of Discovery and Adventure from the Australian Frontier

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A lively collection of extraordinary stories of adventure and discovery, The Explorers tells the epic saga of the conquest and settlement of Australia. Editor Tim Flannery selects sixty-seven accounts that convey the sense of wonder and discovery, along with the human dimensions of struggle and deprivation, which occurred in the exploration of the last continent to be full ...more
Published September 11th 2000 by Grove Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Explorers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Explorers

Brian
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate this book as a work of the author because of course Tim Flannery only compiled a raft of extracts from the diaries of various early explores.

While the individual extracts are interesting enough in their own right, when compiled, a sameness comes over them as to render continued reading more of a chore than an enjoyment.

Not my favourite i'm afraid.
Anna Keating
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Unfortunately lost my copy of the book. Am listing it as read, unlikely to recover it! Was going good up until that moment though, was enjoying the excerpts.
Kylie
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs
This is a collection of fascinating accounts written by early European explorers, beginning with the Dutch in 1604 and going through to 1977. It details their early encounters with the Aborigines, when the English gave them presents of tomahawks and handkerchiefs and the Aborigines willingly became their guides and helped them find water on their explorations inland.

There are chilling stories of men becoming weakened in the desert (and sometimes dying) while searching for days on end to find wat
Becky
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Tim Flannery is an excellent writer, but this book is simply a collection of passages (with his editorial comments) from ships' logs and personal journals. Many of these tell of encounters - some good, many hostile - between the aborigines and the European explorers. My criticism is that Flannery has tried to do too much, using brief excerpts that tell woefully incomplete stories. It would have been more effective to choose a few early explorers and tell a more thorough story, and thus give the ...more
Karen
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I did not finish this but wish I had. I liked the idea of examining the history of Australian exploration from diverse viewpoints, and in fact through the explorers' own writings. I admire the explorers who made daily entries in their journals despite arduous travel in what were often torturous conditions. I was moved by the haunting nature of some entries--really the sense of encountering mysterious lands and people. Also memorable were the descriptions of wild, natural Australia. Not all of it ...more
Lucas Russell
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of excerpts from European explorer of Australia. It is a great introduction to some important players in the history of Australia. Now that libraries and museums around the world are scanning source documents, this is a useful list of references for anyone wanting to learn more about history to start their exploration.
Caro
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
The white explorers who tried to conquer inland Australia were mostly awful and died a lot, the end. The stories are infuriatingly repetitive and are often pretty grim, although you have to (albeit rather dubiously) admire the relentless stupidity of those involved. I guess.
Karen Smith
This was an excellent book to read to get a view of what the early explorers encountered as they set out to explore Australia. It was a bit labourious at times, as many of them had similar experiences, nevertheless, it was worth the read.
Richie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very informative, if dry at times. Book is compiled of actual accounts of exploration spanning over three centuries. All accounts told from the perspectives of explorers.
Atacama9006
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very nice book about the most important explorers of Australia. Chronological order of exploration. Great intoduction to Aborigens and history of Australia.
  • Robbery Under Arms; A Story Of Life And Adventure In The Bush And In The Australian Goldfields
  • A Commonwealth of Thieves: The Improbable Birth of Australia
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • Cooper's Creek
  • Why Weren't We Told?
  • My Brilliant Career: My Career Goes Bung
  • How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America
  • The Lucky Country
  • In Tasmania: Adventures at the End of the World
  • For Love Alone
  • Pathfinders: A Global History of Exploration
  • Dancing with Strangers: Europeans and Australians at First Contact
Tim Flannery is one of Australia's leading thinkers and writers.

An internationally acclaimed scientist, explorer and conservationist, he has published more than 130 peer-reviewed scientific papers and many books. His books include the landmark works The Future Eaters and The Weather Makers, which has been translated into more than 20 languages and in 2006 won the NSW Premiers Literary Prizes for B
More about Tim Flannery...