Start by marking “The Hunted” as Want to Read:
The Hunted

The Hunted

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In a future world where people live to be 150, humans have paid the price for their longer lives—the cost being their fertility. Children have become a commodity: they are bought and sold, won and lost, and worst of all, are hunted by the "kiddernappers" keen to make a quick buck on a big sale.

When Deet wins Tarrin in a card game he rents him out to childless couples. They
Published January 1st 2005 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunted

Cnl Mags
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Title: The Hunted
Author: Alex Shearer
Genre / Bingo Board: Thriller, male character

The Hunted is set in the future where living to 150 has become possible. While this initially sounds like a good idea, the problem is that this has come at the price of most people being unable to have children any more. The story follows Tarrin a child as he searches for his birth parents after escaping from Deet, the man who makes money by renting him out to childless families and who wants him to have an operati
John Rhode
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book... It's an easy read that compelled me to keep turning the pages... I would definitely read this book again... well done Alex Shearer
Saoirse
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: long-ago
I must have read this nearly a decade ago, I remember being absolutely enthralled. One of the first dystopian novels I can remember reading, and I was absolutely hooked. Uses the concept of growing infertility, which I have enjoyed in The Handmaid's Tale and other texts, in a novel way. Definitely will be seeking out to read again.
Gaia Smith
Well reading this book I had no idea where it was going I didn't know if Tarrin was going to be kidnapped, or sold, and or run away from Deet. But I am really happy about how it ended. Just one question, how old was Tarrin? I couldn't work it out, but it is possible that I read over his age. Anyway it was a great book and I am definitely going to read it again, and maybe do a reading log on it :)
Hayley Waters
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
An open letter to dystopians written before 'The Dystopocalypse'(and yes, that's what I'm calling it):
You guys were usually pretty amazing. Most of you were genuinely creepy and yet very relatable, and I could really see something that happened in your stories happening to the society we have in the future. Now, here's the question. WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS GONE?

Respectfully,
Hayley

As it turns out, at the back of charity book stores.

The Hunted was something I didn't really have high expectations for w
Hope Yoon
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
On the whole, an interesting dystopian world. The society is well-constructed and Shearer succeeds in really building this scenario to be solid. The plot wasn't bad either- an easy read, good to follow.
However.
Some concepts were recycled to the point they started to annoy me every time it came up. Prime example: the creepiness of PP's, among other things. Yes, it was solid, but it was only interesting the first time. It really feels like the whole book could be cut down to about half its origina
Nicola Fantom
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
You never know what to expect with a dystopian novel I find. They can differ quite immensely. I have to say they are 1 of my favourite genres. I found this book at a charity shop for 50p so no harm, no foul.

Having read the back of the book, I liked the sound of it. Set in a future where people can live to 150 if they take a anti aging pill, so people don't age past the day they took the pill, however do eventually die from organ failure. As mankind can live a lot longer, people stop being able t
Millie Shumway
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 13-25
Tarrin is a young boy who's on the brink of hitting puberty and becoming a teen. The danger in this is that when he does, he will no longer be in such high demand. Right now he makes a living working with his partner, or rather his leach, Deet, an adult who schedules appointments for adults (99% of the population) who want to have a kid for an afternoon because there are so few children born anymore. The world is set in the future where modern medicine has created a way for people to live indefi ...more
Robin
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Imagine there is a world where you do not age. Where everyone looks young and healthy until the day they die, which might be 150, or almost 200 yrs old even. Imagine that this eternal youth comes with a heavy price: not being able to bear children.

Natural children are so rare that they became more precious than gold; the prized children are hunted, rented, purchased and sold. So rare the children are, they can be, willingly or against their will, ‘changed’ so that they stay children forever.

Th
Sofia Mohamed
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Eryn
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I think this is supposed to be a kid's book, but I don't see any child enjoying the cynicism. I liked the ideas about eternal youth and how it might not be all it seems to be. The ending was not to my liking however.
Theo
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in an amazing world of medical science.
Majidah Mak
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved it! it was soo unexpected and kept me going.. so far the first mystery book i read this year and it made me want more
Suhayb
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of shearers best books.Creates a haunting view of the future.Strongly reccomended.
padfoot and pringles
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
the hunted is most definitely not my favourite book and I didn't enjoy it, no more is to be said! :(
Tahlia
Sep 25, 2016
marruman mc mahon
Aug 14, 2011
Kenneth Robertson
rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2015
Lyndsey
Aug 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Building Blocks
  • The Day the World Ended (Extinction, #1)
  • Taylor Five
  • War's End: Profiles from Bosnia, 1995-1996
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • The Returners
  • Framed
Alex Shearer started his writing career as a scriptwriter and has had great success in that field. His credits include The Two of Us, the 1990s sitcom starring Nicholas Lyndhurst. More recently he has started writing for children. His Wilmot stories have been adapted for TV by Yorkshire television, and his children's novel, The Greatest Store in the World, was screened as a feature length TV film ...more
More about Alex Shearer

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel