Start by marking “Updrift (The Mer Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Updrift (The Mer Chronicles #1)

Updrift

(The Mer Chronicles #1)

For Kate Sweeting, love isn’t in the air. It’s in the water.

Since her father died, Kate Sweeting’s home life has been in the pits, her well-being on life support. Her future looks desolate until she and her mother, Cara, make another plan: abandon their shriveled existence for more promising prospects on the coast, where Cara can play small-town librarian-bachelorette and
Published November 2nd 2015 by Liquid Silver Books

To ask other readers questions about Updrift, please sign up.
Errin Stevens Hi Kathleen - Your question's a good one although one without a good - or at all gratifying - answer, I'm afraid. The situation you describe is kind…moreHi Kathleen - Your question's a good one although one without a good - or at all gratifying - answer, I'm afraid. The situation you describe is kind of the engine behind our traditional publishing model, where a writer develops his or her manuscript, hones a super-incisive query for it, and then seeks engagement from an agent or publisher to help bring the work to market. As anyone who's gone through these steps knows, the effort is thankless and can feel impossible.

But I believe this is the right route to take if you hope to share your story with a broader audience, because a story has so many more road blocks than one person/lone author can tackle in today's crowded information environment. Even with help, there's so much noise out there, so many people vying for attention... I think you want as much support as you can get.

So I guess my real advice to writers, while unexciting, is to focus on the writing since that's all you can really direct, and since you truly can't control what others will make of it. What you can do is make your characters and their stories clean and bright enough to reach inside readers, to draw them into your world and out of theirs. Again, I'm quite sure this answer is unsatisfying - it certainly didn't satisfy me before I got that first contract - but I'm confident it's the right response. Keep writing, keep querying... and I'm sorry I don't know of a better way!(less)

Start your review of Updrift (The Mer Chronicles #1)
✨The Reading
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable story!
Kate and her mother Cara are new in town in moving after her father's death. She immediately be friends a young boy named Gabe. The circumstances in which they met or a bit hazy. Nevertheless they become lifelong friends. Having grown up together they eventually become adults and fall in love which pleases everyone around them. But there's just one problem... Gabe is hiding a very big family secret. One that could definitely rock the waves in the ocean of Kate's life.
This book was
Tasha Mahoney
Overall Rate 4

Performance Rate 5

Story Rate 4

This book is going to be hard to review. Not because I disliked it, on the contrary I think it's fantastic but it is so good that I don't want to ruin any of it with spoilers. Oh well here goes...

After the death of her husband, Cara decides to move, with her daughter Kate to become a librarian in a small coastal town. They find contentment there, and make some good friends including the mysterious Blake family. Cara falls in love with John, they marry
Casey Ann Books
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
If any of you guys know my bookish taste, you would know i love a great mermaid novel, and Uplift is one amazing one.

An intense romance to end all romances. Updrift is a very original story. The “rules” in mermaid novels are completely different from the “rules” in this novel! and thats why this book is very unique. Mermaids and Sirens everywhere it awesome. The relationships in this novel were INTENSE! Like SO intense and i loved every minute of it. I loved Gabe and Kates relationship! Errin
Brightness
Well this was the book to get me out of my reading slump. I started Updrift and found it beyond difficult to ever put it down.

Other than Han's Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid, I haven't ventured much into the waters of siren mythology. So I found the modern take on the folklore of Updrift to be fascinating and refreshing.

The romance here is spot on. I found myself riding the waves of sexual tension with pleasure. And the intrigue kept me turning pages far into the night.

Beautifully
Jay G
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5 Stars

VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8h7...

After the passing of Kate Sweeting's father when she was 3, her mother, Cara, has never been the same. They decide to move from Kansas down to the shores where they meet the mysterious Blake family. After a many years of living down at the shores, Cara finds the man of her dreams. Kate is happy for her mother's new found
Sherry Fundin
YAY! Mermaids! Love mermaids and the cover, so reading this is a no brainer. I immediately thought of Splash, only in reverse, the girl ‘falls’ in the water and falls in love with the ‘boy’. I’m hooked.

Updrift by Errin Stevens is Kate’s life from the time she is five years old to adulthood. I love seeing her grow and develop from an introverted nerd, to a strong, determined woman with desires that will not be denied and one who knows the difference between right and wrong and will step up.

Zaide
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
With so few mermaid tales out there I was thrilled to discover Updrift, even more so when I realized that the mermaid’s in the book were actually the guys – or Siren’s I should say.

The story is simple enough, Kate and her mum move to a new town where they both form strong bonds with a couple of the local men. The book then follows them through many years and life changing events. For me, this is where a lot of my issues with Updrift lay.

When the story begins Kate is just six years old. The
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mermaids, 2017-reads
I'm deciding to DNF this one because there are just so many problems with it that I'm struggling now to continue on.

Let's start with the writing: There is so much TELLING! Like it's mostly the narrator prattling off a list of stuff that's happening. The POV is third person but switches who he focus is at random increments and introduces new character focuses 1/3 of the way thru the book.

The pacing was just awful . In the beginning I never could figure out what age the characters were when stuff
MrPinkInk Jacques de Villiers
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Use the term siren, please," he begged. "I always picture myself in drag when I hear mermaid, and I'm not very pretty." He shuddered.
This is my favourite line in the book.

I have wanted to read Updrift ever since I met Erri on I stagram over a year ago and I honestly have to say that I absolutely loved this story! It's exciting, it's new and fresh and it has all the feels!!

I have nothing bad to say about this book. Sure, part 1 is a little slow but it's not boring or dull in any way. There's
Addison Carmichael
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do I think? For one--I wish I were a mermaid!! I mean, a "siren" (actually I love that term). There was a lot packed in this novel that could have easily been broken out and expanded into a few different ones. But the main love story with Kate and Gabrielle was absolutely adorable from the start, and riveting at the end. Without giving spoilers, the true excitement begins halfway after they "bond", and Kate is pursued by a siren prince obsessed with her, as well as Gabe's response to it. I ...more
Candes
Sep 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
*Warning - harsh, maybe brutal* I really wanted to like this book. Bottom line, I felt like this was an info dump. It was the prime example writers are told NOT to do... show not tell. I felt shoved through this story as fast as Kate's hijacked life set by her mother and Gabe's mother. Brutal, I know. Snobbish? Most certainly. I always try to find the good in stories and there were glimmers of hope sprinkled about but not seized upon. As a reader I was told about dialogue but not made a part of. ...more
Danica (The Hogsmeade Reader)
A copy was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
As much as I wanted to like this book, it was quite disappointing.
The story's premise was interestimg, yes. Thats's what made me want to read it in the first place, but the story was dragging. I put it down one too many times, even considered DNFing it, but decided not to. After ignoring it again and again, I gave it another go.
I finished it, but it still didn't change my opinion about it.
The pacing was slow.
The characters didn't really
Rebecca Reagan
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book for free through a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

It had a rough start for me... But to be fair I started reading it during Christmas week and was in and out of it with family distractions.
It felt much more fluid about halfway through. I loved the deep romance that the sirens experience and the magics they possess. I had been craving a mermaid novel and was pleased to find one that wasn't toooo young and fluffy.

All in all, it was a nice story. =)
Tricia
UPDRIFT BY: ERRIN STEVENS
Updrift wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was still an enjoyable read. I guess I was expecting a little more action and fantasy in this book, and while it did ultimately deliver on both of these, it did take quite some time to really do so. BUT where these elements were lacking in the first half or so of the story, there was really strong character and relationship development. In my opinion this was probably the strongest element in this story. So while it
Chez
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
First I want to thank Errin Stevens for sending me a review copy of Updrift!

I found this book quite difficult to get into in the beginning.
We start off with Kate being a child and moving with her mother to a new town. We got a taste of her home life and her family. I really enjoyed the beginning, but I found it very fast paced. This wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, although it made it hard to focus. A lot of things were happening very quickly after each other. A hundred pages covered 17 years in
Serena
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
My Review: 3(2.5?)/5 stars (spoiler-free!!)

I was sent this book in return for an honest review.

I think in order to properly review this book, I have to do it in sections.

I'll start with the plot, which overall I would rate a 3/5. I really liked the way certain events played out, were paced, etc. However, some events felt like they weren't necessary. For example, all of the focus on Dana and Will in the middle of the book. I thought they were going to be part of a key event/turn into main
A.M. MSW
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Updrift is a beautifully crafted romance novel that involves fantasy and a wider scope of events. One of my favorite things about this romance was that it wasn't just merely a romance; instead, it was a fantasy adventure as well as a mystery, and that added tantalizing substance to the story.

It is not often that I read a book that captures such a beautiful perspective of a child, and this novel achieved that perspective from the beginning. Errin Stevens also made Kate's growth appear so
Ellen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
* I received this book in exchange for an honest review *
It's hard to rate this book. I liked it, it was good, but it took me so long to finish.
It's the first book I've ever read about mermaid, excuse me, sirens. The way it was written slowed down the story though.
What I did really like was the way the story was built. The first half of the book it Kate growing up with Gabe. It takes the instant romance away that you often encounter in book. You know the history these two characters have and
throneofshatteredbooks
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had yet to read a book on mermaids/sirens, and I'm glad I was able to pick this one up. The story line to this book was perfect and the characters were perfect. If you're looking for a book with some mermaids and some love tension that will take you out of a reading slump, satisfy your needs for a good book. You need to pick this up. I can't wait to read the next books in this series by Errin Stevens, this book had me wanting more!
Ben Alderson
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
omg!

This book starts of as one thing and ends as another! It was such an incredible romance read. The relationship between Kate and Gabe was just breath taking and refreshing. His bound with her is incredible.

I loved this take on mermaids/ sirens, such a different read.
LOVE LOVE LOVE..

Can i be a merman now!
Kathi Porter
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gobbled this book up,,,great imagination,,,great adventure,,spectacular evil/compromised character,,,a plot that just kept unwinding with an amazing ending. Highly imaginative but very real with an adventurous romance.
Vampress Bathory
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re into mermaids, cute romances with a side of paranormal, or you just need a chill read, look no more because Updrift is what you’re looking for.

I can’t say I was too interested in mermaids/sirens before reading Updrift. To be honest I was scared of another The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen repeat, not because I didn’t love that story, but because that story broke my heart when I was little. Back then I was heartbroken because in my little kid mind the mermaid didn’t get her
Britt
Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/EyesOpenRevi...

4.5 Stars!

This story took a turn that I was not expecting and I am here for it.
Updrift by Errin Stevens is split into three parts and, I will admit, I wasn't sure how I felt about it during part one. The author's descriptive writing is amazing, but at first the plot felt a little detached. I understand WHY it was written that way - part one is, essentially, Kate and Gabe's relationship growing and developing from childhood to adulthood - but
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jun 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2018
I would have DNF'd this had I not needed a mermaid book for Ripped Bodice Bingo. I owned this one and have too many books to go and buy something new I know I would like and would fit this category.
I'm hiding this behind a spoiler because I can't review this book without spoilers. Rant ahead.
(view spoiler)
Wendy
I was vacation in the Outerbanks of North Carolina when I read this. Was such a fun read. Loved how you followed the characters through there years of school and how Gabriel and Kate were such good friends throughout. It seemed a bit rushed once they became older, and would have liked to learn more about the way the stars had to do with how Kate and Gabe were so close to each other.

With the book taking place in North Carolina and myself visiting it made the book that much more interesting to
Anne
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all let me say that I'm not usually a fan of paranormal romance, but honestly I've never read a mermaid story before (except for watching The Little Mermaid with my daughters of course)! But when I happened on this title on Litsy, I realized I needed to give it a chance and I was pleasantly surprised! I liked the relationship between Kate and her mother, Cara who is mourning her husband's untimely death. When the two relocate, we meet the Blake family and it's clear there are some ...more
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I will start by saying, wow!!! A beautifully written aquatic tale full of sexual tension, engrossing characters and captivating imagery. Once you begin to read this book, you will find yourself captivated until the adventurous end. Will definitely read the second book!!

{I requested a copy for reviewing purposes and made no guarantee of a favorable review. The opinions expressed here are unbiased and my own.}
Robin Goodfellow
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
-I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Updrift, by Errin Stevens, is a paranormal romance that tells the story of two lovers. The book is reminiscent of a children’s story, shrouded by innocence and magic, as their love unfolds.

The book is divided into three parts. The first part introduces Kate, a young girl who meets the enigmatic Gabe and his family, as well as illustrates their budding friendship. The second part focuses on Kate struggling to grow up, and not only addresses
Beccie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm always interested in different author's takes on sirens and mermaids. it was a good enough story to keep me reading but not a memorable one. I felt no connection to the characters and often felt like they were still teenagers despite being in their 20's.
Bibliophagist_omnilegent
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was hands down one of the best that I've read this year. I love books about fantasy creatures and Updrift doesn't dissapoint.

The author has taken the normal stories of mermaids and breathed new life into them.

Kate, a sweet and caring girl from Kansas, moves to a small North Carolina town with her mother after the death of her father. In the new nurturing environment Kate's mom finally starts to heal, the two become happier then they have in years.

Kate meets Gabe a cute and charming
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
RMFAO (Reading My...: Free Mermaids. 2 13 Nov 24, 2018 10:36PM
Paranormal Romanc...: Before the next one comes out... 1 24 Apr 18, 2018 06:18AM
Paranormal Romanc...: Audiobook-philes? 1 16 Feb 24, 2018 07:13AM
Authors & Reviewers: New on audio - tour & giveaway. :-) 1 5 Feb 24, 2018 06:50AM
Romance Audiobooks: This topic has been closed to new comments. Updrift by Errin Stevens 20 81 Aug 16, 2017 05:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Audio book version available. 3 12 May 29, 2017 02:40PM

• Like the Wind
  • Scraping Bottom
  • Mister Bodyguard (Morgan Brothers, #4)
  • Blueberry Hill (Misty Harbor, #3)
  • Mother of Shadows (The Chosen, #1)
  • The Rocker That Savors Me (The Rocker, #2)
  • The Frog Prince
  • The Rocker That Needs Me (The Rocker, #3)
  • The Rocker That Loves Me (The Rocker, #4)
  • Pull Me Close (Panic, #1)
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • The Rocker That Holds Me (The Rocker, #1)
  • The Newlyweds (Cake #4)
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • Rogue Wave (Cake, #5)
  • Lights Out Lucy (Music City Rollers #1)
  • Fiercely Emma  (Cake #3)
Errin Stevens writes paranormal fiction and reads practically everything she can get her hands on. She's currently working through the Time 100 with all her rabid reader buddies at Carpe Librum, and will think about posting reviews if she can get to it... Her first novel, Updrift, debuted Nov. 2015; and the sequel, Breakwater, released Nov. 2016. She's present on several social media platforms but ...more

The Mer Chronicles (3 books)
  • Breakwater (The Mer Chronicles, #2)
  • Outrush (The Mer Chronicles, #3)