Start by marking “The Go Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The Go Programming Language

The Go Programming Language

(Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)

Go is an open-source programming language that makes it easy to build clean, reliable, and efficient software. It has been winning converts from dynamic language enthusiasts as well as users of traditional compiled languages. The former appreciate the robustness and efficiency that Go's lightweight type system brings to their code; the latter find Go's simplicity and fast ...more
Published August 27th 2015 by Addison-Wesley

To ask other readers questions about The Go Programming Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go Programming Language

Varun
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Every programming language has one book that become the de-facto book. C has K&R and other programming languages has their own. This book is for Go what is K&R for C. If you ever want to buy a Go programming language book, this book should be the one. I have been programming in Go from almost an year and I also find some new tricks from the book. Also I use this book as a reference when I need to brush up some concept.
Mohamed Elsherif
Great book, a must read for anyone seriously looking into picking up Go for a future project, the language seems simple but the nuances of it are very important and the book dives into it and provide a great guidance and gotchas here and there that are just priceless.
Tadas Talaikis
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
You're kidding, second mention on the for cycle:

for initialization; condition; post {

I can try to understand that abstraction, hut isn't this book for Go starters? It's like trying to read anything from Google (with their xomplexities they anyway lose the whole picture due to lost brain RAM, like with Tensor Flow they had marketed failure on finnancial markets) or Iris (Go web farmework) "examples". shouldn't examples supposed to work?

Or few pages later:

counts := make(map[string]int)
input := buf
Jelmer De reus
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dinko
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Kernighan and Ritchie "The C Programming Language", this is the Golang K&R alternative. A must-read for this young new language.
Vanessa
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
One of the authors is Kernighan (yes, that one), so it's as easy to read and as useful as your well-thumbed C book. It was longer, though, with more to cover. Still, I was able to write a substantial Go library after reading it. I'm going to get a paper copy to keep next to the C bible.
Kasun Vithanage
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome book that clearly explains key concepts of golang
Marshall
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dozens of programming books, years of reading them, most of them helpful but of mediocre quality. This is a great example of what a high quality programming book is like. Unlike a lot of books--some of which are written by undergrads!--this book is written by very experienced programmers. Kernighan? He was involved with creating UNIX and C. Every page of this book, you can tell a lot of work went into refining it. A lot of it is example-driven, which I love. The examples were impressive. They ma ...more
Dexter
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quintessential text for learning the Go Programming Language. After working through some of the examples you will discover the simple elegance of the programming language--stripped down but expressive.

The chapter on testing, benchmarking, and profiling needs some work. However, I think these will require another book in itself.

There is little or no mention of symbolic debugging. Some may argues that with the proper array of functional tests, you don't really need a debugger. However, I am in th
Jordi Gil
5/5 stars

An absolute must for anyone starting with the Go language. I have done the go tutorial and went through the effective go website but this book made the trick: I was able to feel more and more comfortable with the language and accomplished as I read on. There are a few things left out of the pot that I learned whilst perusing other people's code, but even so the book provides a good narrative that eases the consumption of the knowledge and idioms required to speak the language properly.
Sinuhe
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is great!, I recommend it as a intermediate one. Even I decide to not continue reading before reflection an unsafe, I think I will return to it in 1 or 2 years later to learn that after.

The examples are practical and a more than just hello worlds.
L Dean
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Close in quality to K&R, may revise to 5 stars after a re-read. If you work with Go, read this book.
Steve
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Presumably the authoritative reference book on/introduction to Go for experienced programmers. Despite the plethora of online resources I like books because the good ones guide you through all the elements, point out subtleties and gotchas, and really let you explore rather than the utilitarian reference "I need to know this now."

This is a good book.

As a veteran C/C++ programmer and one familiar with (albeit not fluent) in Python I found the covered topics familiar and yet new, as Go has its ow
Murray Cumming
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
This is perfectly written and structured. The examples are particularly well chosen. Unlike most such books, it can, and should be read, cover to cover.

In the end, I have not become a huge fan of the Go programming language itself, though the book has shown me much there to respect and be inspired by, and I'd definitely choose it for some projects. I've written up some notes about the experience from my point of view as a C++ developer: https://www.murrayc.com/permalink/201...
Veronica
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
It's hard to explain why, but this book is remarkably unwieldy and incoherent. I cannot recommend it for anyone wishing to review the Go programming language. Far better, I believe, to simply search online Go tutorials for a reminder of the syntax.

Update: I want to clarify that I think it's possible this is useful if one is simply seeking an in-depth look at Go and has plenty of time to read the book from beginning to end in a scrutinizing fashion. However, for my purpose, this book simply wasn'
DOAN MANH HIEP
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for developers who want to pick up Golang. It has ton of best practices and examples together with exercises for you to practice your Golang skill. However this book does not cover how to work on a real complex project which will require more research and practice. It’s a good book to start writing simple Golang programs. But if you are looking to write serious Golang projects, it won’t be enough.
Dylan Meeus
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to Go.
It deserves 5 stars from me not just for the content, but also because it was thus far the best programming book I read on a kindle.

Each code snippet is accompanied with a link to an image, making the snippets readable on both the kindle as well as the kindle app for android. That was a great touch!
Jeremy Huiskamp
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is fairly straightforward coverage of the language. For someone who is already familiar with the language, it's mostly boring, though worth reading because there are always gaps to be filled in and a fairly quick read.

I can't fault anything specific about the book, I just wish more programming language books were opinionated like Javascript: the Good Parts.
Stefano Zanella
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I thought I would never feel again the same kind of excitement and sense of unlimited possibilities I felt when I read "The C programming language". But then this book came and the fire started to burn again.
Shuky Chen
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear and informative

This book is great for beginners of Go, however not for beginners of programming. I really enjoyed it, and managed to learn how to write Go code very quickly
Shanaka Rusith
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Programmers, Engineers
A very good book for Programmers who wants to learn the Go programming language. reading this will give you the ability to read and understand any Go program. the book covers the essential parts of the language in great detail in an understandable manner.
Mosab
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: next-in-line
A must read for anyone serious about learning Golang.
Ivan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Отличный, хоть и немного суховатый учебник.
Imish
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deep & thorough.
Significantly improved my perception of Golang because it showed both the simplicity & power of the language.

Graziano Misuraca
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Ter
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book explain from basic to advance topics on Go,
and make Go programming harder than expected.
Drew
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kernighan (the second author) has added another book to the programmer's must own collection.
Jahongir Rahmonov
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book. However a little overwhelming. It was a little hard to read. Thus 4 stars.
Alex Vasilenko
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A good entry point into the language. Gives more hints about go conventions (what tutorials do miss). I bet there should be a book about go conventions because they are everywhere
Kawai
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geek
Concise, lucid, with practical exercises at the end of every chapter to reinforce knowledge. About as perfect as a programming language book can be.
  • Python Cookbook
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The AWK Programming Language
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming Handbook
  • Programming Erlang
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Real World OCaml: Functional programming for the masses
  • From Mathematics to Generic Programming
  • Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions
  • Learning the vi and Vim Editors
  • LISP in Small Pieces
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series (4 books)
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 2: The Implementation (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Mathematical Foundations of Computer Networking
“Testing is fundamentally a pragmatic endeavor, a trade-off between the cost of writing tests and the cost of failures that could have been prevented by tests.” 0 likes
“Exercise 1.3: Experiment to measure the difference in running time between our potentially inefficient versions and the one that uses strings.Join. (Section 1.6 illustrates part of the time package, and Section 11.4 shows how to write benchmark tests for systematic performance evaluation.)” 0 likes