Start by marking “Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production” as Want to Read:
Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production

Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production

Docker is quickly changing the way that organizations are deploying software at scale. But understanding how Linux containers fit into your workflow--and getting the integration details right--are not trivial tasks. With this practical guide, you'll learn how to use Docker to package your applications with all of their dependencies, and then test, ship, scale, and support ...more
Published June 9th 2015 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Docker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Docker

Azeem Bande-ali
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The "Debugging Containers" chapter has very useful tips on various techniques to debug docker containers. The "Advanced Topic" chapter has a lot of high level internal details of docker that helps with getting a better understanding of how docker works as well.

I am not sure I would actually recommend this book to someone who is trying to transition a large system to use docker in production as it doesn't actually provide any information on how to start and manage such a transition.

The book is u
Anton Antonov
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Docker Up and Running is a book that I've been meaning to write a review for a long time.

The book itself is a good Docker introduction, but that's all there is to it.

It takes a more theoretical approach and goes a greater length in explaining commands instead of just showing by example.

This goes on for a big part of the book. If you want to cut from the internet and focus on the book only - you'll definitely hit the right spot with this book. However beware that this book is only focused on Dock
Yevgeniy Brikman
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick read that provides a clear and concise intro to Docker. This book does a good job of helping you wade through the buzzword soup that has been created by the Docker community. The debugging, deployment, and docker at scale sections are particularly valuable, as they are difficult to find in online documentation and blog posts.

As implied by the "Up and Running" subtitle, this is just an introduction, so don't expect too much depth or nitty gritty details. The biggest downside to the book i
César Bustíos
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech, 2016
The Docker Workflow

This is a great Docker introductory book, from very basic to some advanced topics, it helps to understand what Docker is and isn't, and how it can benefit you and/or your company.

It's full of tips and examples so you can get your hands dirty very quickly. The downside is that it is already outdated, Docker is growing really fast so if you are planning on reading this book I suggest you read Docker's official documentation after.
Alamin Mahamud
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
good book. but the documentation is much better.. too much useless stuff.
Jacek Laskowski
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: docker
Docker so well explained that it even turned me into a Docker image author!

tl;dr Read the book Docker: Up and Running not the review and you regret no moment. Highly recommended! The only wish after “Docker: Up & Running” — the book should be a chapter or two longer!

“Docker: Up & Running” was the first book I read about Docker itself and the entire Docker ecosystem. And, honestly, it’s not a coincidence at all. O’Reilly has always amazed me how well organised their books were and the ove
Miloš Milivojević
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
An excellent introduction to Docker, the authors have really done a fantastic job of explaining its intricacies to absolute beginners; the writing was very fluent, examples to the point and there's also heaps of practical advices and pearls of wisdom to boot.
Alex Ott
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Very good description of docker, including "advanced" topics.
Erik Molnar
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
The more I learn the less I know. I read a Kubernetes book and found it was a waste of time because I knew nothing of Docker. Now I read a Docker book and found out I have so much more to learn. Good thing I am starving for knowledge. I read this straight through in two sittings like I would a novel. I prefer to absorb the content as much as I can, then go back and try to do the walk-throughs after reinforcing it with some video training. The book before the video training is always the way to g ...more
Kerszi
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bardzo dobra książka, jak ktoś chce poznać podstawy Dockera i podobnych technologii. Dużo przykładów. Opisane to jest w sposób czytelny. Wymagana jest jednak jako taka wiedza o Linuxie. Niestety praktycznie nic o popularnym ostatnio Kubernetesie. Jeżeli chcesz zacząć przygodę z DevOps to polecam na początek.
Russell
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Docker. Provide enough information to be understandable, but keeps it brief and to the point. Doesn't cover much of the Docker ecosystem, which has grown substantially since the mid-2015 publication of the book.
Dushan Hanuska
This is an excellent reference book for anybody who is starting with Docker. This book explains a lot of things in great depth and is full of useful examples.

I will be keeping this book close.
Ajitabh Pandey
A nice detailed introduction on Docker, right from building containers to shipping them.
Shaun
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Great introduction to the technology. This is a bit dated, as Docker for Mac was not represented anywhere in the book.
Camilo
Soso....wasn't a great read
ferhat
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017_read
Mostly outdated but anyway pretty good intro.
Jaysinh Shukla
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can read my review here http://blog.jaysinh.com/2017/12/05/bo...

Thanks!
Jascha
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
With more than a thousands contributors, and backed by colossi such as Google, Docker is by far this year’s hottest topic and gained so much momentum that Amazon released containers’ specific instances on AWS. Quite impressive, indeed, mainly considering it relies on technology that has been there, available to all of us, since years (Solaris jails anyone?). The revolution were not indeed the containers themeselves, but rather encapsulating the whole thing inside a blue smiling whale and making ...more
John Alan
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the last few months I started to explore Docker a little and “Docker up and Running” was a big help here. Firstly the book provides a good introduction to docker, gives you easily enough to get hands on and start playing, and also helps you change your mindset a little to understand how to use docker. After that more advanced topics are introduced rounding your understanding of docker and letting you dig deeper.

I use Vagrant so getting started with docker was fairly simple (many of the concep
Krzysiek
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A very decent book explaining what's necessary to start working with Docker and helping to avoid many common pitfalls. A few drawbacks:
- Orchestration tools and distributed schedulers could be explained with more details. I read this book as a part of our company's reading club. We all found these concepts a bit difficult to grasp. I am aware that particular tools are quite new and the whole ecosystem is evolving rapidly, but adding a few more complete examples would probably make the general co
Peter Sellars
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book that explored Docker from a number of levels and provided plenty of useful insights and expertise from real world usage. Learnt a lot of new things from this book - and of the many Docker books I have been reading during their creation this was the one I looked forward to updates on the most. Well written with excellent examples and covering all the right topics. If you buy only one Docker book and don't want the 'Docker 101' but a real world useful book - this is the one to get at th ...more
Michelle (milly)
This book definitely walks you through the important concepts of Docker and how to get started with it. It is very well organized and very thorough. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out Docker from online tutorials/resources, and I've never been so glad that I invested in this book. Great resource for anyone wanting a thorough understanding of Docker and how to add it to their toolkit.
Ryan Maclean
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Intro to Docker

Just like the title says, this is a quick intro to Docker. The author does a very good job explaining the overall concepts of containers, some easy ways to get up and running, as well as an intro to the AWS ECS platform.

Unfortunately the code does not flow well online and lead to some very odd things, and the book itself has quite a few
Tomasz
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, owned, technical
This book is a good start if you are new to Docker ecosystem. It gives you overview of how Docker works, where you should be careful and where to look for more details when you need them.

I have used it as a my guide when experimenting with Docker and releasing first semi-production dockerized pet-project on AWS EC2 servers.
Scottz
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Docker up and running is a relatively quick read that I would recommend for anyone who has played with Docker a bit but wants to learn a bit more about the ins and outs. Overall it was a worthwhile read but I am left looking for a more indepth and advanced book.
Joshua Kaiser
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
History on containers is great, but much of the content in this book is now heavily dated. Docker has matured significantly since this was first published, and I'd seek out a more current resource than this one if I was just starting out.
Alexander
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A solid read about the Docker ecosystem but nothing didn't use in dev/prod already.
Kate Jefferson
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Great intro to Docker.
Xiaket
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finished the book. Some of the names that I'll take a look:

Kubernetes/Docker Swarm/Mesos/etcd/overlayfs/cAdvisor/Centurion/Docker Composer/Registry/Helios
  • Jenkins: The Definitive Guide
  • Graph Databases
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Vagrant: Up and Running
  • High Performance Browser Networking
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Programming JavaScript Applications: Robust Web Architecture With Node, HTML5, and Modern JS Libraries
  • Erlang and OTP in Action
  • jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers
  • Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks: When Threads Unravel
  • Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions
  • Camel in Action
  • Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Scala for the Impatient
  • UNIX Shell Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“While Docker automatically captures logs for you, it does not also rotate them. In fact, currently none of the provided packages set up any log rotation. You’ll need to do that yourself in most cases. Rather frustratingly, Docker also does not respond to a signal to tell it to reopen logs. If you send it the standard HUP signal, it will instead restart all the containers, which is not what you want. The current best practice for rotation of Docker logs is to have logrotate use the copytruncate method to copy the logfile and then truncate it in place. There are open bugs against docker asking for a better solution.” 0 likes
“If deploying software is hard, time-consuming, and requires resources from another team, then developers will often build everything into the existing application in order to avoid suffering the new deployment penalty.” 0 likes