Start by marking “BrainWeb” as Want to Read:
BrainWeb

BrainWeb

(Nick Hall #2)

When the Academy Awards become the target of a brutal terror attack, only one man can stave off massive bloodshed.

MIND'S EYE, the novel that introduced Nick Hall, was a runaway Kindle bestseller. Now Hall returns in a riveting stand-alone thriller, set in an Internet future that is just around the corner. From the New York Times bestselling author of WIRED.

Nick Hall, an u
Published February 10th 2015 by Paragon Press

To ask other readers questions about BrainWeb, please sign up.
Jo I read this one without reading Mind's Eye and felt that he did a good job explaining enough about the first book that I didn't get lost in this one. …moreI read this one without reading Mind's Eye and felt that he did a good job explaining enough about the first book that I didn't get lost in this one. Perhaps the relationships between the characters would have been more powerful and meaningful having read the first one though.(less)

Start your review of BrainWeb
Dee
May 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
You know how a particular kind of novel, say, anything by Jane Austen, is casually referred to as 'chick-lit?' Let's call the fiction written by Douglas Richards "dick-lit." This is a spy-tingling--if not spine-shattering--sci-fi spy thriller, right down to the Mexican cartels, the special Black Ops units, brain implants allowing thought to surf the internet with no need for small electronics, a spectacular, and spectacularly brilliant, guy who can read minds within a radius of six miles--and ro ...more
Kurt
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Like the first one, this is a good, entertaining read. It's not a great read, however. The prose continues to be utilitarian and uninspiring. Also, this book comes across as much more "preachy" than the others. The author spends too much time *telling* the reader what the pros and cons of the BrainWeb technology is when he should be focused on *showing* the reader through the story. There's even an entire chapter devoted to a made-up artifice of an interview, the entire point of which is to take ...more
Rick
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read 55 pages of this book. If someone bought this book for you they hate you. If it is between reading this book or rotting your brain watching a reality tv show, your brain is better off with TV. If I ever meet the author I will kick him in the knee. If you want an example of absolute garbage this is it. This is probably only the 4th book in 10 years I have not finished, yes it is that bad. -7 stars.
Douglas Richards
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi. This isn't a review, just a way to let those following my reviews know that my new novel, BrainWeb is now available on Amazon. If you do end up reading BrainWeb, I hope that you will enjoy it :)
Jason
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thrill ride for the mind!

I've been reading books by Douglas E Richards since I was lucky enough to stumble upon "Wired" sometime last year in my search for an author that came close to an all time favourite of mine, Michael Crichton.

After many an hour becoming engrossed in his absolutely endearing characters, their struggles, shortcomings and triumphs throughout the action packed fictional worlds that sometimes seem all too real, I was elated to see that Nick Hall and his cohorts were back for t
J Lopez
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
You'll either love it, hate it, or hate-read it.

The bad guys in this novel are a Mexican, a Muslim and a sociopathic Democrat. The women are props for humble genius heroes they unrelentingly adore. If you're of a certain age, "the professor and Maryanne" will pop unbidden into your head. It's that bad, but still compulsively readable. I'm loathing myself while downloading the sequel!
Gloria Hearne
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hoping this never happens!

Totally believable but hopefully will never happen. However, everyday we get closer to this reality!
Modern day characters bring home the devastation that could be wrought with brainwave.
Barth Siemens
Mar 10, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: science-fiction
Three years ago, I accepted this kindle promotion based on the description and some reviews. Now, I realize that my distaste for plots based on super-powers has solidified. I didn't even give this book a chance; so I won't rate it.

I simply leave this note, as a reminder to my future self.
Ken Selvia
I don't really care for stories where the villains are Islamic fundamentalists, or any religious fanaticism for that matter. Richards disguised that aspect of the first Nick Hall book until near the very end so it didn't bother me too much since it was just about over. This time it started in almost the first paragraph, so I gave it a pass.
Brian's Book Blog
A great continuation of the series

As I've written in numerous other reviews, Douglas E. Richards is a master of his craft. In my opinion, he writes technothrillers better than anyone else writing today. BrainWeb was no different.

Picking up where Mind's Eye left off, we are once again in the midst of someone who can surf the web from his head and read other people's minds if they get too close. While this may sound insane, the way that Richards writes the story had me tripping over every word to
Keith Tait
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thrilling read, really kept me on my toes throughout with the usual twists. Action packed novel including terrorist plots, espionage, back stabbing and much more to keep you interested.
Seno
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite predictable but still enjoyable read.
Mike W.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My review is for all three books of the series - "Mind's Eye", "Brain Web", and "Mind War".

These are the first books from Douglas Richards that I've read, after a friend recommended "Mind's Eye". The series is a near-future techno-thriller - not sci-fi per se. These are a "what if" story - "What if someone accidentally got the ability to completely read minds? Surface thoughts, deep memories, the whole mind an open book?" How would that person get through their day, having everyone's thoughts -
Michele
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 6th book I've read by this author--and as with all the others it kept me enthralled and reading. The scenarios portrayed could be all too real and somewhat frightening. He is a master at writing science fiction thrillers-I kid you not! With all that is going on with terrorists these days and all the crooked politicians surrounding us (from both parties!!) this is one of those book scenarios that could possibly happen. If this series isn't made into a movie I will be very surprised. T ...more
Marilyn
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible - powerful - action packed.

I read this pretty much straight through with just a few hours for sleeping last night!

I have read several of Douglas's thrillers and enjoyed and liked everyone. They grab you from the first couple pages and throw you around like a basketball. You're not exactly sure what's going on and you try to focus on what you think is happening.
But be ready to be wrong and be ready to be transported into a world of intrigue and crazy suspense.

Douglas E. Richards de
Carol Martin
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Literally, mind blowing read!

I'm rarely into "sci-fi" novels but Douglas Richards books are close enough to plausible to blow your mind. This is second in the Nick Hall series about a man with brain implants that allow him to access the Internet & read minds in real time. This roller coaster ride starts with terrorists hijacking the Oscars presentation & takes you on amazing ride through so many scenarios (more terrorists, military intelligence, scientific research, politics, & a couple of roman
Jason
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of the top three (or should I say bottom three) worst books I've ever read. Let me count the ways:

· Super predictable
· Some of the most flat, boring, one dimensional characters of all time
· Flat, boring characters doing things that would never happen in real life. High ranking military commanders taking civilian girlfriends of kidnap victims on rescue missions with no chain of command? Sure, buddy. Which leads to a complete lack of suspension of disbelief
· preachy
· some of the most f
Wes Easton
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok, so after a bit of debating with myself I've decided to go with two stars vice four stars for this review for various reasons. The Idea behind Brain Web is phenomenal (4 star worthy) and I think had the author changed how he'd written the book, he would have garnered greater reviews. The characters lacked depth and when they dialogued, it felt as though they were all reading a part of the same passage. None of the characters felt...REAL. The part that pained me the most were the overly poetic ...more
Mari Basham
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this sequel - although I liked Wired more. Possibly because it introduced the concept that is explored further in BrainWeb. BrainWeb has a spectacular opening story very relevant. It is an interesting exploration of what can occur when the human brain is connected to the internet and the ever changing expansion of online connectivity. Both the pros and cons of this potential science are explored. Additionally, the main character gains the ability to read minds along with being connected ...more
Richard R., Martin
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy thrillers with a bit near believable sci-fi. BrainWeb does exactly that. As the author explains at the end of book brain implants that can help the blind and deaf are being developed and researchers are exploring the possibility of using them to interact with the internet. ESP is still total fiction but who thought that just a few years ago we would walking around with powerful computers in our pockets. The story is fast moving with lots of twists and turns and putting a soul-less politi ...more
John Rice
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Doug Richards Parks Another One

I’d give it six stars if I could. As the name pf the book implies, our mind-reading protagonist Nick Hall is at it again. Only this time the stakes are much higher. Fast paced and thrilling, author Doug Richards gives us all the risk to life and limb, technology-driven danger and the greed of politicians mixed into a brilliant plot and sprinkled with the love of deep friendships that we have come to expect from him. Another fast-ball knocked out of the ballpark!
Kai
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Most Suspenseful Opening Act I Have Ever Read!

Amazing job by the author!! I was literally terrified by the description of the terrorist attack on the Oscars. I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't put the book down. This author goes places in his brain that we dare not voice out loud. Riveting!! Give him a movie deal. I want to see Nick Hall on the big screen played by an acting no name.
Brandy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fascinating, exciting book!

I have a confession to make... I am hooked on these Nick Hall books! I really appreciate all the work the author has put into researching the material for this book. I also very much appreciate the explanations he gives in the back of the book for the basis of some of his ideas.

These books are well worth the time spent reading them, and I find myself looking forward to the other books he has written.
Don
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a woven tale, how does he come up with this stuff? With no answers to those questions I throughly enjoyed this book. I liked the way the story wrapped around Nick Hall and his companions. It was totally off the beaten path. Our problem with terrorism is only getting worse and this book gives you a good feeling of getting to them. It doesn’t do much for helping my beliefs in politicians but rather supports what I think of them. Good Job
Carol-Ann
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s thoughts and ideas on future technology. Much of it we won’t see coming, as technology often takes sudden and unexpected twists. Although this is the second book in the easiest, they all read as standalone novels. I read the third book first and am really interested to know what happen to seal team six and a half and their defector. I hope there is a fourth book on the way to tie up those threads.
John L. Schwartz
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Superb

This is a mind-boggling work.

With remarkable imagination and an amazing grasp of cutting edge developments in many fields, this thriller weaves a terrifyingly plausible future. And then he turns what seems to be certain destruction for us into a subtle and brilliant positive potential against the swelling tide of terrorism that is all too real in our world.

Bravo, Maestro Richards. You are splendid!
Steven Trepeck
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fascinating novel of incredible subject matter.

I thoroughly enjoyed this fascinating novel of incredible subject matter. Richards does it again, he has woven such interesting topics as mind controlled web access and ESP into a unique story that keeps one interested and guessing page after page. If you like near future Sci-Fi and interesting strong male and female characters, you will love this book as much as I did.
C. Kent
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good read!

This book really expands the implications and consequences that this technology would have on the world. The Oscar attack part of the book was very chilling and had me thoroughly engaged. Without giving away too ommuch of the story, I really suggested this book(of course it would help if you read the first one first if you haven’t lol). A really engrossing sequel to an already good start of a series.
Katka
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the comtenplation on technology this series is based on. It is beliavable, imaginable, with threatening societal, political and psychological implications of its application. However, I am not very happy with the plot that for me its overtwisted and unbeliavable and characters are somehow shallow. Finished quite early, but won´t follow other books in the series or of the author.
Vicki Panos
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting reed

After reading book 1, I could not wait to start on mind war. This story has has so many twist and turns Nick Ha!! Is a be!evable yet reluctant character. I hg!hly recommended this book. Starting on book 3 tonight. Thank you Mr. Richards for such excellent books.

• Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • Phenomena
  • Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • Augmented
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Extinction Countdown
  • The Genesis Conspiracy
  • The Last Monument
  • Orbital (Future War, #3)
  • Quantum Incident (Quantum, #0.5)
  • Fractured Earth (Ascension Wars Book 3)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • New Eden
  • Extinction Code
  • Mosaic (Breakthrough, #5)
  • Nomad (Nomad, #1)
Douglas E. Richards was born on May 7th, 1962. He grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with his parents and his sister, Pam. He went to Finneytown High School, and then graduated with a degree in microbiology from Ohio State University, a master's degree in molecular biology from the University of Wisconsin, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago.

Douglas now lives

Nick Hall (3 books)
  • Mind's Eye
  • MindWar

News & Interviews

“Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so.” 1 likes
“Politics, noun: [Poly ‘many’ + tics ‘blood-sucking parasites’]”             —Larry Hardiman” 1 likes