Start by marking “Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege” as Want to Read:
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege

The gritty, awe-inspiring true story that takes you right into the heart of the Iraq war from Sunday Times No.1 bestseller Sgt. Dan Mills.

'One of the best first-hand accounts of combat that I've ever read' Andy McNab

'We all saw it at once. Half a dozen voices screamed 'Grenade!' simultaneously. Then everything went into slow motion...'

April 2004: Dan Mills and his platoon of sn/>'We/>'One
Published May 15th 2008 by Penguin (first published August 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sniper One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sniper One

Start your review of Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
Jim
I confess to taking considerable guilty pleasure from this one. To begin with, I have believed from the start that instead of going on about how the Iraqis were shooting at them, the US and British troops should have got the hell right out of Iraq. They had no business there in the first place. On the other hand, I loves me a good story about the brotherhood of arms, and this book is a dandy example of just that type of story.

Let's start with Sgt Dan Mills. (I love the way he uses hi
Jonathan
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern
Unflinching look of a British Sniper and his time in Iraq. The book tells it like it was, warts an all. The good times, the bad times, the feelings that take over one during combat. Book reads like a novel and flows excellently, it was hard to put this one down. Top notch look at modern warfare through a foreign serviceman's eyes.
Mike
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege—5 Stars worth of high tension firefights and escapades of the British Army in Iraq. No Blair-bashing, no agonizing over why they are there, no diatribes on PTSD, some bitching about heavy-handed Americans but so what, sober acknowledgement of mistakes, a solid story.

I tell you this account of the British Army in Maysan province, Iraq is gleaming! I am just chuffed to bits to read this tale of the 1st Battalion, PWRR and their ve
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm a massive fan of war memoirs - the kind popularised by Andy McNab and Chris Ryan in recent years - so when I saw the hype surrounding this book, I had to give it a go.

It totally lived up to my expectations. Somewhat inevitably, considering the setting, the action comes thick and fast, making this a modern-day version of the Battle of Rorke's Drift in the Zulu War - and it's just as exciting. Bullets fly, shells explode and our sniper heroes do what they need to do to get the job
Oceana2602
Feb 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what to say, what to say?

I'm sure by now you've figured out that I'm in one of my "military book" phases. It'll pass, don't worry, but for now this is kind of my reading focus.

"Sniper One" was advertised as "One of the best first-hand accounts of combat that I've ever read", "highly charged [...] page-turning read", "strong, cohesive and complete."

Well, it could be. I wouldn't know. I gave up fairly soon, because I just couldn't, COULD NOT stand the stupid
Chris
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not the type pf book I'd choose for myself but was a loan from my brother in law. I really liked it. It had great pace, was never boring and showed just how hard our armed forces have it in Iraq in a war we never should have got involved with. The taleban or hardliners are truly terrible people but its clear the allied forces will never defeat them until the Iraqi people decide they dont want anything to do with religious fundamentalists. Ok its not "a great work of lirerature" as oe of my book ...more
Anna Erishkigal
Thoroughly enjoyed this first-hand account of the British siege of Al Amarah and what they went through to hold that position. Lots of good sniper lore here, even more interesting stuff about how men cope under those kind of prolonged battle conditions. Not the usual sneak-and-peek and shoot, but a story about men under siege.
Peter Roach
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Not a book for everyone, especially those that are really into political correctness, or "if only the rest of the world thinks the same way as me". The book is frank, covering a battle/siege that was little reported during Iraq invasion by coalition forces, by the leader of a British sniper team. It does not go into the politics or rights or wrongs of the conflict, it is only about an individuals experience and recollection of his time there.

I found the book to be an excellent read,
Chris G Derrick
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: war, sniper
I certainly enjoyed the read.
The story centres around a group of British Army snipers deployed into Iraq in 2004.
They were kept very active by the local population - being involved in the longest fire fight British troops had been party to for over 50 years.
The description of the base itself, where they spent a considerable part of their deployment defending its walls, is very good.
Consequently you can visualise what's happening all around them when they're attacked.
If you're
Kyle Sheppard
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is amazing! It was written by sgt. Dan Mills and is about him and his sniping platoon. The story takes place in Iraq over a 6 month period. At the beginning of the story his platoon does a tour around the Cimic house and the city they will be in. During one of the tours they get into an ambush. Then a grenade bounced off their landrover and exploded. Luckily none of his people took serious damage, but kept them pinned down behind the landrover. Throughout the whole story they ...more
Mitchell Lapora
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As real as it gets. I bought this book wanting to learn more about how the military worked and little did I know that it was completely not how I expected it to be. Still a good read: learning what the soldiers had gone through was a big learning experience for me.
Neil
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already
Extremely good book reflecting the reality of the war in Iraq. Very much a soldier's 'behind the scenes' perspective.
Hayley
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good read and insight to what a soldier goes through. And even though they doing a really tough job, they still have a sense of humour when you least expect it.
Ian Willis
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, I love reading true stories like this where some people have a lot more to deal with in their job than most and they deal with it really well.
Emily Dawson
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this down! Read it less than 48hours with work in between which is highly unusual for me!
Fast paced and so well written. Best military account i have come across yet!
Lee Sherred
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
Excellent book, couldn't put it down.
Stuart
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, another great book that gives a proper insight into what these soldiers have to go through every day. I have nothing but respect for these guys.
Ananya
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story Of A British Battle Group Under Siege received 4.22 stars out of 5, and also I can tell that a lot of readers that gave this book 5 including me got a thrill out of it. The readers that give this book 1 stars didn't even leave a comment and I would agree with them because this book is not for everyone. But I strongly disagree when some people said it is not worth reading. This book has so much thrill, adventure, and action that gets the reader involved in it ...more
Steve Smy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I bought this book when I was going through a period of reading lots of the genre. Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege has to be one of the most honest stories I've ever read. Sergeant Dan Mills doesn't hide anything.

The first thing that the reader has to accept is that snipers are a breed apart. They are specialists and they take great pride in their skill. To them, the more lethally effective they are, the better the chances of their comrades (and
Evan
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Sgt. Dan Mills really wrote an astonishing book when he wrote Sniper One. This book follows Sgt. Dan Mills and his sniper team through the streets of Iraq. The conflict begins in the very beginning of the book when he and his squad get attacked by the OMS. A grenade injures one of his comrades. The authors purpose is to explain what went on in Iraq and how it was not as sugar-coated as CNN explained it. The book is written in first person as you can feel what the author felt as if you were reall
Col
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m, 2012
Blurb.......

We all saw it at once. Half a dozen voices screamed 'Grenade!' simultaneously. Then everything went into slow motion. The grenade took an age to travel through its 20 metre arc. A dark, small oval-shaped package of misery the size of a peach ...

April 2004: Dan Mills and his platoon of snipers fly into southern Iraq, part of an infantry battalion sent to win hearts and minds. They were soon fighting for their lives.

Back home
Joe
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of the Battle of Al Amara. A horrible violent hell hole, more Iranian than Iraqi. During 2004 the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment was sent to occupy the town. While the main force was located up at Camp Abu Naji a small battle group was stationed in the main Ba'ath party building in the city centre.

The town was under almost complete control by Muqtada Al'Sadars Mahdi army. The British found themselves very quickly under attack. The poor equipment supplied by the MOD s
Scottnshana
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is more about small unit combat leadership than the moral dilemma of taking someone's head off at 300 meters. I think Mills has captured the tensions (fistfights in the DFAC, idle soldiers with internet access), the challenges (getting rid of a non-performer in the unit by moving him somewhere he'd be happier and less likely to get people killed), and the frustrations of the kind of war we were waging in Iraq (full disclosure--I'm an Iraq veteran, and aware of the running "cooperation" ...more
Stephan Van wyk
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don't look out for great literature. But that's not what a soldier's life is about is it? This stuff is all action and from the heart. It very realistically puts the reader in the midst of the action. I don't know if this will come easier for those who know or have known military life - maybe it does and this may possibly bias my opinion? But I could feel events happening and see them in front of me. These guys are/were terrific soldiers. The way they speak, interact, react - that's all the real ...more
Larry
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought before starting that this would be another typical gung-ho war book. Not that I don't enjoy those from time to time, but what I mean is with lowered expectations as to any 'deep thoughts'.

Wrong. Although it seemed to go that way at first, soon the story became much more of a human drama as you re-live the summer of 2004 with the British fighters literally stuck all on their own in a southern Iraqi hellhole under virtually constant attack by insurgents in the town.
D.M. Baillie
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to true war stories, I have to say that the beginning was very memorable and delves straight into the action. One can only imagine the feelings that these soldiers must go through in these situations. War is a terrible thing, the world should be able to function without it, but sadly power and money are often the contributing factors to such atrocities and the soldiers on the ground are but pawns in a deadly game of chess.

That being said, Mills put together a fine story an
Dustin
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic war memoir. Probably one of the best I've ever read. It was also unique to me because it was the first war story from the second Iraq war from a British point of view I've read. It's not as if they had it any better, but I did enjoy the change of pace with all of the cheeky British slang you wouldn't normally get in a war story.
The action and pace of the story is lightning fast, and definitely keeps your attention. And it's an all around war story. The title may give the im
L.J. Simpson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In retrospect, the invasion or Iraq is rarely seen as a good thing. You can debate the question all you want, but the fact remains that the soldiers on the ground didn't have much choice in the matter. They served their countries and went where they were told.
Sniper One describes the tour of the 1st Battalion, Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment in Iraq in 2004. Sent as peacekeepers, peace is the one thing they didn't get. Eye-opening, exciting and also shocking, it's a fast moving account of
Andrew Morgan
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, non-fiction, war
I sit here thinking how I can sum up this historical account, doing it enough justice and I finding myself failing for enough superlatives. I rarely give a book 5 stars because I always think, to do so would say this is perfection, and no matter how much I've enjoyed a novel in the past, I always think that maybe it was lacking in something that may have given it a little more edge, but this was perfection and a joy to read, it kept me on the edge of my chair right the way through. This was perf ...more
Tim Corke
Just brilliant - started it this at lunchtime and only a few hours and not much else happening finished it in one go. You just cannot help just having one more page and another and another. The word insight is used far too much and it should only be used for books like this. Each page drew you in more and more until you felt as though you were alongside Mills and his platoon fighting their war. On Armed Services Day there's no other book I would have wanted to read and just increases my already ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Why didn't they drop a bomb on the OMS headquarters? 1 24 Nov 01, 2013 08:40PM

• The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines
  • Bravo Two Zero
  • Apache. Ed Macy
  • The Longest Kill: The Story of Maverick 41, One of the World's Greatest Snipers
  • Pathfinder
  • No Way Out: The Searing True Story of Men Under Siege
  • First Man In: Leading from the Front
  • 3 Para
  • First Into Action
  • Seven Troop
  • Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • Zero Option (Geordie Sharp, #2)
  • Battle Scars: A Story of War and All That Follows