Start by marking “The Paper Bag Princess” as Want to Read:
The Paper Bag Princess

The Paper Bag Princess

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  44,024 Ratings  ·  1,809 Reviews
The Princess Elizabeth is slated to marry Prince Ronald when a dragon attacks the castle and kidnaps Ronald. In resourceful and humorous fashion, Elizabeth finds the dragon, outsmarts him, and rescues Ronald--who is less than pleased at her un-princess-like appearance. Full color.
Published May 1st 1980 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Bag Princess, please sign up.
Ava She used his own boasting and turned it against him in a form of peer presure. (Ex, making him fly around the world really fast untill he didn't have…moreShe used his own boasting and turned it against him in a form of peer presure. (Ex, making him fly around the world really fast untill he didn't have any energy left, using all his fire uslessly, ect.)(less)

Lola
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s so important for children to be exposed to feminism through their reads. The Paper Bag Princess, you did a good job showing the princess isn’t always the one who needs saving, so we should stop assuming that.
Hannah Greendale
The beautiful Princess Elizabeth lives in a castle and is engaged to marry Prince Ronald. One day, a fire-breathing dragon destroys her castle, incinerates her belongings, then flies away with Ronald. Since all her clothes are ruined, Princess Elizabeth dons a paper bag and sets off to save her prince.

princess_elizabeth

Elizabeth decided to chase the dragon and get Ronald back.
She looked everywhere for something to wear, but the only thing she could find that was not burnt was a paper bag. So she put on the pape
Manny
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Girl meets boy. Boy meets dragon. Girl loses boy and clothes. Girl uses paper bag as dress. Girl defeats dragon. Girl gets boy back again. Boy is ungrateful. Boy loses girl. THE END
Calista
Why have I never heard of Robert Munsch before? This is from 1980 and it's serious girl power. This princess is in love with the prince. She learns quickly he's not worth her love and she MOVES on. I mean this is revolutionary. All girls need to grow up reading this story. It is fantastic. Robert is on my list of authors to read so I will be going through his books.

This was a fantastic story. The kids enjoyed it too with dragons and princesses. I like this princess, she has worth.

This is my ba
January
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is never too early to teach girls to not settle, and to save the prince! Even if Ronald is a pathetic prince.
Mariah
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
My students did not enjoy this book. They thought it was super annoying.
Kathryn
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I give this three stars because it was originally written in 1980 when there wasn't as much in the way of "feminist fairy-tales" as there are today--so, gotta give Munsch props for that! I like that our heroine is plucky and resourceful. However, two things really bugged me--

***SPOILERS***
1st, was it Ronald or Elizabeth who was being false before she came to rescue him--i.e., did she originally pretend to be a proper princess, or was he just hiding his jerky-ness? Their split seemed a bit sudde
Ronyell
Princess

I have been reading most of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko’s works ever since I was a child and I have enjoyed most of their works! I have recently re-read a book from the popular duo that I had enjoyed during my childhood called “The Paper Bag Princess” and it is about how a princess is stripped down to wearing a plain paper bag when a dragon attacks her castle and she has to go rescue Prince Ronald, who has been kidnapped by the dragon. “The Paper Bag Princess” is definitely one of Rober
HBalikov
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to my GR friend Hannah for alerting me to this book. I will enjoy reading it to my granddaughters (when they are a little older)

My own reading time: less than 120 seconds; longer when reading to someone special.

A delightful twist on a classic situation when Princess Elizabeth sets out to rescue Prince Ronald, to whom she is betrothed. She is smart and feisty and, ultimately, successful.

An excellent opportunity for discussion: of means and results; of roles and responsibilities; of parents
AleJandra
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
4 Smart princess STARS

Al buscar libros feministas para niñxs, este siempre aparecía primero.

Narra una historia sencilla de como una princesa se embarca en una aventura para rescatar al príncipe del que esta enamorada, de las garras de un furioso dragon.

Pero lo mejor es el final cuando la princesa se da cuenta que ella es lo suficientemente valiente e inteligente como para derrotar un dragón y que no necesita casarse con un príncipe malagradecido y superficial, para ser feliz.

Cumple en enseñ
Celia Kennedy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read for every girl from birth through forever...

I'm not a raging feminist, but I am a huge believer in a girl knowing that she can rescue herself and anyone else who needs it - if they want her help. This book reinforces how to be resourceful, have confidence, and know when to walk away. My daughter received this gift the day she was born and we've read it a thousand times. One of the few that is still on the bookshelf, more than a decade later.
J. Boo
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I get what they were trying to do, but the story was way too short for the out-of-left-field feminist denouement. (*) I did like the illustrations, though.

(*) Fine, there was a brief reference in an illustration to the Prince not being as interested in the Princess as she was in him, but it wasn't explicit, and I've not yet met a child of the likely age range who could handle any degree of subtlety.
La Coccinelle
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I don't even know how many times I've read this. It was pretty much a staple in my childhood. We even had a recording at one point of the author reading it (Robert Munsch is a great storyteller; if you ever get a chance to see or hear him read one of his books, take it). This book is probably one of the first feminist books I ever read, and I still love the message.

Even after all these years, Elizabeth kicks dragon ass and Ronald is still a bum (he's actually more of an asshole, but this is a ki
Jessica
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: little tiny people, not-so-tiny people who could benefit from its message
I thought I reviewed this one already. This is an instructive fairytale for young children about not putting up with a bunch of crap. The paper bag princess is engaged to marry Prince Ronald, this handsome, uptight tennis-playing eighties-yuppie-style monarch, until she has to battle a fire-breathing dragon using only her wits. Elizabeth the princess outsmarts the dragon, but not before his fire breath blows away all of her clothes and she's left to conceal her nakedness by wearing a paper bag. ...more
Weng
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5.0 stars

Yesssss! A reversal! In kids book, no less!! (Me, whooping)

The Paperbag Princess subtly teaches the little ones(girls, especially) several things; one, material possession is fleeting, two, beauty is more than skin-deep, three, wisdom is a weapon, four, you can be your own hero, and five, acceptance and respect comprise genuine love. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, why not shed double standards while we're at it.

Children are smart and retentive, they begin to adapt ideas and set their
Ann
I love the idea of a strong female character - especially given when this was initially published. It kind of turns the classic "damsel in distress" on its head, where the princess saves the prince.
I also liked that the princess had to out-smart the dragon - she succeeded by using her brain.
That's what I liked....

But, I think I would have liked this a lot better had it only been about the dragon, or only been about the relationship with the prince - but I didn't like them both together because o
Chance Lee
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Reprint of a picture book from the 1980s. The story reminds me of a Fractured Fairy Tale from Rocky & Bullwinkle.
Jenny
I have always thought that this book is humorous...and yet I have never LOVED it.

Things I like:
1. The brave, clever girl who doesn't wait for someone to come rescue her but courageously solves her own problem.
2. Lessons in humility can be taught/discussed. Elizabeth used the dragon's vanity to overcome him. This could be used in a character education lesson to talk about humility as well as courage.
3. The illustrations add to the fun and humor of the story.
4. This could also be used to talk abou
Kerstin
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. What kind of princess do you want to be? If you want to be a Sleeping Beauty kind of princess, this book is not for you. If you want to be an empowered, capable princess, our paper bag Princess will speak volumes.
Gabrielle
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best kids story.
Zohreh
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is so good .
The ending is everything, I laughed so hard :))
Christine Bongers
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Found this on the bookshelf today. Thirty-five years after it was first published, it is still a fun and empowering read.
Ciara (Lost at Midnight)
Haven't read this book since I was little but man, it's so great. Getting to read picture books for university never stops being awesome.
Nancy Kotkin
Love this modern twist on outdated fairy tale assumptions. In this picture book, a clever princess rescues her prince(view spoiler). First published in 1980, this book was way ahead of its time and is still very relevant and much needed today.
Julie
He comenzado leer libros para niños en español, para practicar mi lingua. Este libro es muy divertido -- y utilicé un dictionario a veces, pero en general yo pude leer solo. ¡Hurra!

Anyway, my absolutely abysmal language skills aside... I grabbed whatever children's ebook I could find in Spanish, which led me to The Paper Bag Princess -- and this is actually a delight, a short little fairytale which proves that princesses can do the rescuing themselves, and that their wits matter more than pretty
Slayermel
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with young children and Preschool Teachers
I have always loved this story because for once when it comes to Princes and Princesses we have a strong Female character.
Princess Elizabeth is to Marry Prince Ronald, but all this changes when a Fierce Dragon comes and attacks the castle and kidnaps the Prince. Elizabeth ends up having to wear a paper bag and goes through some trials in order to save Prince Robert. When she arrives to save him, Prince Robert is not impressed with the way Elizabeth looks, never mind the fact that she just came
Shaina
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure I got the moral here. Maybe, don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself. A princess decided to live differently bc of a snooty prince's teasing. And she toughened up. There might be a little 'girl power ' message in here too, with a side of - 'honey you're too young to be worrying about that now', and finally some - 'don't bullies just suck'?
Dominick
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is quite a delightful revisionist fairy tale. Basic tropes are easily recognizable, but Muncsh subverts the gender norms of fairy tales, providing a happy ending in which the princess dances off into the sunset, rather than marrying the prince. Aided immeasurably by Michael Martchenko's wry and witty illustrations, which add a significant amount of information absent from the words.
Kristen
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Very good feminist fairy tale, w/out being too over the top. My four year old son really liked it, and it gave us a good reason / excuse to talk about gender roles and respect.
Laura Harrison
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Munsch books. Wish he would write some new ones.
Paper Bag Princess Essay 2 11 Sep 23, 2018 10:54AM
  • Jillian Jiggs
  • The Princess Knight
  • Princess Smartypants
  • Red Is Best
  • The Frog Prince, Continued
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Princess Furball
  • Cinder Edna
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • My Name Is Not Isabella
  • William's Doll
  • Fanny's Dream
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
  • The Three Questions
  • Tops & Bottoms
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil