Start by marking “Time of Departure” as Want to Read:
Time of Departure

Time of Departure

A debut mystery with a surprising twist, featuring a young state prosecutor investigating a series of murders dating back to the 1970s, and a mysterious ex cop who knows way too much about her.

Florida state prosecutor Claire Talbot is as tough as they come, and not everyone loves her for it. Newly promoted Felony Division Chief, Claire has about as many jealous detractors
Published December 1st 2015 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Time of Departure, please sign up.
Rie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jaksen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
So many good reviews, but sorry this isn't going to be one of them.

(I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.)

First off, the guy can write. I often say that, even about a book which I didn't like, or couldn't finish. The writer writes - transitions, narration, description, all well done. He or she can turn a fine phrase and move the story along. This guy can do that. Most definitely. So why the two stars?

For the continuing implausibility of the story and the constant and almost egregious use of s
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Douglas Schofield delivers TIME OF DEPARTURE —a spellbinding unique mix of mystery, cop-procedural, crime, thriller, romance, and science-fiction/ fantasy.

MIND BLOWING. Cleverly crafted. Time travel. A strong woman and a beautiful compelling love story rolled into one.

Gainesville, Florida state prosecutor Claire Talbot, early thirties, is tough; however, the good old boys are not so keen on t
Rachel Kelley
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. That was my first thought when I put this book down just after midnight last night.

I have to admit, about halfway through the book I was beginning to wonder where all of the five star reviews were coming from. I knew there was a twist and I even had a pretty good idea of what it would be, but when the second twist came I was appropriately shocked.

The second half of this book made the clichéd investigative beginning all worth it - and at the end shed a whole new light on those events. I was
Nancy McFarlane
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book and what a surprise. I was hooked from the beginning by the story of young, state prosecutor Claire Talbot who is the newly appointed felony division chief. She is tough as nails and has to prove herself daily to many old school cops. It didn’t help at all when a newly discovered grave linked back to crimes which occurred thirty years earlier and when a mysterious ex-cop who worked the original cases suddenly appeared to help her. Mid-way through the book I began to realiz ...more
Meredith
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
If you are looking for a typical mystery that is solely about resolving a case, Time of Departure is not the book for you. However, if you are looking for a mystery that goes outside of the box, then you will love the Time of Departure. Approach with an open mind!
DD Flight
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I'm addicted to Schofield's writing and his latest is in my opinion his best. Although it's not yet widely available (I think publication is scheduled for November or December 2015 - can be pre-ordered through Amazon now), I had an opportunity to read a pre-publication copy and it did not disappoint.

If you've read Schofield's novels you know that he has a penchant for writing for female protagonists and Time of Departure is no different. Prosecutor Claire Talbot finds herself ba
MariaElena
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently had the opportunity to read a pre-publication copy of, "Time of Departure." A few thoughts.

WOW!
I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since I finished reading Time of Departure. That’s a good thing because it’s how I rate a book. If I can’t stop thinking about it, and wondering “what if?” and don’t feel like picking up another book because I’m still involved with the current one . . . well that’s just a freaking great book! A suspenseful mystery that slowly unfolds and becomes a tender l
LJ
First Sentence: My darling daughter, This is your mother’s story.

Claire Talbot, Florida state prosecutor, has been newly promoted to Felony Division Chief. The unearthing of two skeletons by a construction crew reopens a case that happened before she was born; a string of abductions. But who exactly is retired cop Marc Hastings? Not only did he work the old case, but he seems to know things about Claire beyond a stranger’s knowing. Can they solve the old case? What happens when Claire learns the
Barbara
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the this ARC from Net Galley in exchange for a review. I was intrigued by the story from the outset since it was a mystery taking place in northern Florida, near where I live. The book was more of a legal thriller type mystery. The main character Claire Talbot is a Gainesville, FL prosecutor. The story provides a lot of information on the legal cases she was working on, as well as several well written courtroom scenes, so it lends itself to a legal genre. Ex-police detective ...more
CLM
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
When you decided to read one chapter of a book at midnight and then suddenly it's 2:30 am!
Amber
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sticking with two stars. This book is a smattering of good ideas with bad follow through. The story starts at the wrong place. The author oddly enough acknowledges it as a way of justifying it on page 298. Unfortunately, for the beginning half of the book, it's all confusion.

The characters are lackluster and are void of romantic tension, which made this quite absent of feeling. This book is a love story slightly hidden in a murder/thriller, but a love story all the same and not having tension be
Vera
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book through a giveaway on Goodreads First Reads, and I was extremely excited about it. I generally love thrillers, and this one started out with so much potential. Prosecutor Claire Talbot is a strong female lead, and her struggles with sexism in her work environment are portrayed in an extremely realistic way. There is just the right amount of detail in the opening scenes to show that Douglas Schofield clearly knows his way around the criminal justice system, but not too much d ...more
Amber
Feb 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am never one to give a bad review on a book, I try to find the underlying good in everything but this book was one of the hugest literary let downs I have ever come across. If you would like to read a book where you are either confused or frustrated the entire time, this IS the book for you. I do not wish to spoil it for those who do decide to read it but this book is the prime example of a good plot line gone horribly bad. What could have been a unique story all on its own went to garbage due ...more
Susan
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Mystery isn't usually my genre of choice, but I have to admit to getting pulled in to this storyline...perhaps because, in addition to the mystery, there's a romance and a sci-fi twist. I found the writing to be a bit choppy, but I suspect that writing style might reflect the mystery genre. It didn't change my life, but it was an entertaining page-turner once I got in to it.
Libby
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most intriguing and enticing books I have read in a long time. It begins as one thing and changes into something completing different. I will be thinking about this story for a very long time.
Reff Girl
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction, mystery
There were some flaws, but it was a fresh premise--what happens if your past predicts the future. Good setting, interesting characters--this is a no-brainer trip of fun, and sometimes you need something like this to chase away the grey days. You won't be able to put it down.
Kate
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
It wasn't good...but I enjoyed reading it!
Hannah
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-travel
Easily digested in two days' time, but a really bad mash of murder-mystery meets the "Time Traveler's Wife." Extreme stereotypes abound, as noted by other reviewers the characters aren't anything more than that. Seriously unbelievable details: (view spoiler) The mechanics of the magic are never explained; it all gets pretty confusing after a ...more
Bethany Wilk
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book tripped me out! I thought I was reading one kind of book, then midway through, it morphed into a completely different species. I think I liked the first half of the book better, but I appreciated how neatly all the mysteries were tied up in the end. With all the Girl on the Train-type shock endings that are out now, I loved how this surprised me without having to use the whole "unreliable narrator" trick (which I'm really tired of!)
Anna
Dec 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author is a good writer and I did manage to finish the book. I immediately found the story line of a lawyer and ex-cop conducting an investigation unbelievable, but I was intrigued enough with the mystery to keep reading. Then, it took a sci-fi turn. I don't really like sci-fi/fantasy and was really disappointed this had been labeled as "thriller." It is well written, so if time travel/parallel lives are your thing, you'll probably enjoy it.
Lynn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very rarely give a book 5 stars but to me this book deserves 5 stars. I had never read a Douglas Schofeld book. This book is like none I have ever read. It starts out pretty normal but a little more than half way through it takes a very unexpected turn. Claire is a Florida State Prosecutor who teams up, skeptically, with a retired cop on a very old cold case of kidnapping & murder. There are a lot of surprises all the way to the end. Just remember this is fiction & enjoy.
Jeanine
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all Scholfield can really write, second I think he can plot and plot and plot. I love a time travel mystery. I like love stories, I don't know that I understood everything but I really, really enjoyed it. I am sad it is over and to choose to think it is not.
Lexxie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a decent read. Time travel is always tough and it's hard to make the explanation seamless. All I can say is that the book was good enough that I wanted to finish it. I wasn't biting my nails and wasn't blown away by the characters or the writing but it was fine.
Fern
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder mystery with a real twist. I didn't see it coming.
Liz Gruenbacher
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This where time travel meets serial killer. If you keep in mind it is fiction then it you will enjoy it. It’s definitely a reach but so is all fiction. I enjoyed it.
Terri
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was just ok. I'm not a big fan of time travel novels and I didn't realize that's what it was until I was halfway in so I went ahead and finished it.
Keli
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a stupid plot twist (that you can guess a mile away) for what could have been a good murder case book.
Hari
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Claire Talbot, a no-nonsense, young Florida state prosecutor, reopens an investigation into a decades-old series of abductions after a highway construction crew uncovers two skeletons in a shared grave. While researching the abductions, Claire meets Marc Hastings, a retired cop who worked the case at the time and wants to work it again, privately—with her. He knows the investigation inside and out but also knows things about Claire that give her pause. Together they find more bodies and grow clo ...more
Rachel
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. One of those books that kept me wanting to read but the twist just didn't do it for me. Overall a good book but just couldn't give it 4 stars.

• Seven Ways to Die
  • In Time for Christmas (Out of Time, #10.5)
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Three Can Keep a Secret (Joe Gunther #24)
  • No Way Out (Karen Vail, #5)
  • Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)
  • Defensive Wounds (Theresa MacLean #4)
  • A Nero Wolfe Mystery: Bitter End
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Against a Brightening Sky (Delia Martin, #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (Angela Marchmont Mystery #4)
  • Stay With Me (Brenna Spector #3)
  • All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2)
  • The Breaking Point  (Body Farm, #9)
  • That Affair Next Door
  • Crime of Privilege
  • Probable Claws (Mrs. Murphy #27)
Douglas Schofield was raised and educated in British Columbia, where he earned degrees in History and Law. He has worked as a trial lawyer in Canada, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands, prosecuting and defending hundreds of cases of serious crime and, more recently, conducting complex cross-border litigation. Douglas and his wife Melody live on Grand Cayman, along with their highly intelligent talking ...more
“Only the future is certain ... the past is always changing.” 2 likes