Start by marking “The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)

The Highwayman

(Victorian Rebels #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  8,712 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
They’re rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards—dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster…

STEALING BEAUTY
Dorian Blackwell, the Blackheart of Ben More, is a ruthless villain. Scarred and hard-hearted, Dorian is one of London’s wealthiest, most influential men who will stop at nothing to wre
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman, please sign up.
Terre Eidson Emma Wildes, Sarah McCarty, Monica McCarty, Amy Sandas, Darcy Burke, Tessa Dare, Jess Michaels, Em Brown, Judith McNaught, Karin Tabke, Nicola Davidso…moreEmma Wildes, Sarah McCarty, Monica McCarty, Amy Sandas, Darcy Burke, Tessa Dare, Jess Michaels, Em Brown, Judith McNaught, Karin Tabke, Nicola Davidson, Sylvia Day, Joanna Schupe, Elisa Braden... Just to name a few. Hope this helps. This is a list of authors have a little bit of everything from sweet to OMG. LOL!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katherine The next book is The Hunter and it is Christopher Argent's story.

·  8,712 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews

Start your review of The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Dougan's Fairy Stars

***Major Spoilers all over this review***

OMG I loved this book so much! The Highwayman is my first Kerrigan Byrne read and it punched me right in the feels. I fell in love from page one with Farah and Dougan. Meeting as small children in an orphanage 11 year old Dougan and 8 year old Farah stole my heart with their sweet, innocent love. Dougan was the bastard child of Laird Mackenzie. When his mom died, he was tossed in the orphanage, where he was mistreated, starved,
Jill
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it

For eight year-old, Farah and eleven year-old, Dougan Mackenzie life at Applecross Orphanage in 1855 is made bearable by their friendship, which deepens as the years pass. Life without the other seems unthinkable, and so at the tender ages of ten and thirteen they seal their love in marriage vows by handfasting.

Separated soon after, the story picks up in London, seventeen years later. Farah, now a clerk at Scotland Yard, where she is known as the widowed Mrs Mackenzie, comes face to fac
Anne
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not much for romances with tortured or dark heroes, but I was completely sucked in by this one.
I just couldn't stop reading about these two! Their love story started out with them as children at an orphanage together and shows how the bond they formed turned out to be unbreakable well into adulthood.
So. Fucking. Sweet.

description

They were so faithful to the memory of each other that even a crusty old bitch like me was touched. Now, it wasn't perfect because I simply could not wrap my head around the f
Stacey is Sassy
The hills are alive with the...Victorian Rebels

I was so bloody excited when I saw The Hunter in the Audible Escape package. Yes, I know this is The Highwayman, but if The Hunter was there, then, it only follows that the rest would be there. I have waited what felt like YEARS for this series to become available in Australia... AND NOW IT'S HERE!!

It was everything I was hoping for and more. Derek Perkins has turned a fabulous story into an AMAZING experience. I wore a goofy smile f
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert 19Dec17: This was my favorite Historical Romance read of 2016 and it is available as the kindle daily deal for 1.99 on Amazon

5 Beautifully Broken Bastard Stars

OMG I LOVED THIS!!!

❥❥❥Dorian Blackwell you are the broken man of my dreams. ❥❥❥

description

Farah fell in love with a boy when she was but a wee child. They had two years together and then they were ripped apart when he
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 STARS
In this quiet, unfettered moment, she knew him, truly saw him for what he was. Hard, ruthless tyrant. Abused, wounded boy. An empty heart full of promise, and a soul of shadows in need of sunlight."

Ermahgerd.
My heart. MY HEART!!!!
ERMAHGERD.

First of all, I am seriously kicking myself for taking this long to start this series. Like SERIOUSLY kicking my ass. What the heck was I thinking? I was crazy! Nuts. Loony bins, I tells ya! Because this book? It was everything. All of the t
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

From the moment Farah wipes the blood from Dougan's hands they are bound to one another, two outcasts in an orphanage. On a fateful night, Dougan violently protects Farah and they are separated, cast out into their fates. It is not until seventeen years later that Farah learns what befell her childhood friend. Dorian Blackwell, the Blackheart of Ben More, villai
Sh3lly

Welp, everyone loved this but me. (Seriously, I just went and read through my friend's reviews and ONLY ONE PERSON gave it the same rating as me.)

DNF at 27%. I don't get the appeal. Dorian is a jerk. Why keep his identity from Farah when they supposedly had such an EPIC young love romance? Does he have a psychological disorder? That would make more sense than just, oh, I'm such a tortured hero that I had to erase my past and now I can't let her know it's me because drama llama and stuff.

There is
Bibi
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

This book is low-key channelling The Count of Monte Cristo
but it's also a second-chance love story. A nice enough book for when you don't know what to read.
EmBibliophile
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
4 stars

This is such a strange time and I’m finding myself uncertain of many things -including what day today is- but now I’m finally sure of one thing, that I’m going to spend the next few days binge reading this series because...Waw!

This was so good!! I haven’t read many historical romances but the ones I read always tend to be leaning towards the fun sweet side. This one was different. It was slightly darker. More serious, I think? I mean as serious as a historical romance could be, if that ma
chan ☆
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
blood of my blood, bone of my bone

this was really, really good! admittedly, i don't have the most experience with historical romance but i think this one was objectively fantastic and like... very hot.

the book opens up with two orphans forging a friendship, boy and girl. flashbacks are hit or miss for me but i was instantly taken by the way these two trusted each other. their ability to shut out their bleak reality and share each other's interests... *chef's kiss*

and then PRESENT DAY! our heroin
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Insanely angsty, insanely readable. I could NOT put this one down!

If you have the chance to listen to this series in audio, you should really do it. Derek Perkins absolutely nails the audio, delivering the voices and tones that set the stage for the story. He drew me in and didn't let me go, and I ordered the rest of the series on audio that day.

I'm a huge Kerrigan Byrne fan, and becoming a bigger fan each day. Though parts of this book were very predictable (I mean, any romance rea
Jilly
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm about to write in what will look like secret code if you haven't read what I'm talking about.

So, if you loved Z in BDB, AND you love HR, this book may be for you. Dorian is Z-light. A tortured hero filled with self-loathing and the inability to touch or be touched because of past sexual, physical, and mental abuse. He can't even bear to touch his own private parts. This would be a real problem for men, as I understand it. They seem to have a hard time NOT touching themselves. It's like, righ
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
I LOVED this dark, compelling debut novel from Kerrigan Byrne, and was completely swept away by the emotional impact of the powerful and beautiful love story.

I was drawn into the story from the moment I started reading Chapter 1. Watching the friendship, the inseparable bond and the innocent young love that developed between the young orphans, Dougan Mackenzie and Farah Leigh, his “Fairy”, was so touching. To protect Farah, Dougan is forced to kill a man which leads to their dramatic separation.
Rachel Reads Ravenously

This is a book that's very much beloved and lots of people have recommended it to me. And while historical romance isn't my top choice when picking up a romance, I do enjoy the genre. This book, just......

The plot was okay, and I really enjoyed the beginning, but near the middle to the end I felt very disconnected from the characters. I literally did not care if they ended up together or not. When I should have been feeling empathetic or heartbroken, I felt mostly blah. I felt like a
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

My Review
Summary
Dorian Blackwell, is a villain, and rose up from the alleyways of the worst slums in London, to become the powerful man he is today. He does what needs to be done to survive and the horrors of his past made him into what he is today. Farah Leigh Mackenzie, hasn't had an easy time in her life. When she was young, she got married and for a short while they were happy. Until he was taken away from her, and now she is a
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Jennifer Leighton
5 Stars!!

I'm not a normally a Historical romance reader, but, I had to give this one a try after spotting the fantastic cover on Jen's 2015 favorites collage and since it was a favorite it must have been a great read right?....Jen's pick did not disappoint!!!!

photo PicsArt_1452321204107_zpswaeijz2h.jpg

Dorian and Farah meet in the Orphanage they were living in as children, they both endured hardship and loss at early ages, and clung to one another for support until tragically they were ripped apart. Many years later they are reun
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book has a 4.0 average rating with the people on my friends list, and if you're friends with me, you know how high a value I place on your opinions. You guys had nothing but good things to say about THE HIGHWAYMAN with your talk of tortured heroes and dark romance. Music to my twisted ears. Plus, Elizabeth Hoyt's DUKE OF SIN is one of the recommended books for HIGHWAY, which I absolutely loved. How could this possibly not work out?

T
Julie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Highwayman by Kerrigan Bryne is a 2015 St. Martin's Press publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I'd never leave you, Fairy.

Truly?

Not even to be a pirate?

I promise. I might be a highwayman though.

Will you try to love me, too?

I'll try Fairy, but I havena done it before.

I'll teach you.”

Wow! Whoa! Is it really possible the dangerous, dark, brooding hero is back? Please, say it's true. This book blew me away! A re
Daniella
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5-GLORIOUS-LET-ME-BE-YOUR-FAIRY-STARS

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.
description

And you know what? I'll just leave it at that. That's how much I love this book. For me, no amount of words could ever do justice to it.

If you haven't read this yet, READ IT .
Choko
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the Historical Romance Ladies @ the MacHalos:-)

Well, this is not the typical Historical Romance of the last 15 years. I am going to date myself here, but being a lifetime reader of the genre, it is impossible not to notice that there are waves of popular takes on it and they ab and flow with the mysterious preferences of the generations of women who read them.

I have noticed that the last 3-4 years, in both Contemporary and Historical Romance, the trend for darker, ed
Hollis
I'm doing a reread of the Victorian Rebels in preparation for book six and oh man. Even though I read this one two years ago I still remembered so much of it. And in a lot of ways I loved this more the second time as I did my reread via audio. What had kind of miffed me about the opening the first time around was totally not the case this time. Derek Perkins did a spectacular job not only acting the voices but selling the encounters of Farah and Dougan's first meeting as children. I loved it.

I
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
SPEECHLESS! Unbelievable. This book broke my heart and mended it at the same time! I feel rocked by it. And that ending. I’m a friggin mess. So damn beautiful. The whole thing was magic. PURE MAGIC. I’m wowed. Honestly. I. Am. Wowed!
Duchess Nicole
Super spicy for a historical. Great background story. A bit cheesy with the finish, but that tends to happen with ye olden days talk. Would definitely recommend for those who like the super ass hole heroes. This guy was a piece of work, but boy was he also yummy! Thanks to Hank Lover for the rec
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

LOVED IT. Just loved it.
Great introduction chapter hooking me right up and making me literally a prisoner of its the pages.
Attaching characters, rekindled lovers, a feisty and smart heroine, a tortured hero threading the edges of assholeness and downright dangerous. ( And we love those heroes... Sigh.)
I enjoyed their banter very much, fueled by a hate to love trope, it was just utterly enjoyable to witness both their will not to like each other crumble to dust. The
Jonetta
Mrs. Farah Mackenzie is a widow working as a clerk for Scotland Yard. When the infamous and wealthy criminal mastermind Dorian Blackwell, known as the Blackheart of Ben More, is brought in for questioning, he makes an amazing discovery that permanently changes the course of her life.

I’m loathe to share too much of the story as this one has one of the best opening chapters I’ve read in some time. It begins seventeen years earlier in the Scottish Highlands when eight-year-old Farah meets eleven-y
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.25 Stars***

"...real love - doesn't destroy or smother. It's the very opposite of a weakness. Love strengthens. It liberates. It molds itself to every fiber of your being and fortifies you where you may be broken. It is as necessary to the body and soul as food or water."

I'm not a historical romance reader (this is only the fourth book I've ever read), but after a few friends were raving about this one, I just had to pick it up. And boy am I glad I did!!!

I was completely engross
Malene
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historical romance from Kerrigan Byrne was so good. What I really enjoyed about this second chance romance was the dark element added to the characters. It’s emotional dark because of what Farrah and Dorian went through when they were kids. Their childhood is dark and sad but their love and the promises they make to one another is what ultimately saves them.
Yes, it turned Dorian into the criminal and ruthless man he is today but his love for Farrah is still stronger than ever. Oh my did I e
Jen Davis
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book. It made me feel so much! It has a wonderfully dark, tortured hero, who has loved his heroine since they were children. She has been the single light in his life and they have been separated for the past 17 years. He's only dreamed of their reunion, but once he finally gets her back, he is too damaged to allow himself to truly have her. It is angst of the most delicious variety. I plundered through the pages like a randy pirate at a whorehouse. I was done way too soon, ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
The beginning of this book is the sweetest thing ever. Chapter one is the story of two orphans finding in each other a friend and kindred soul. It gives the backstory for the rest of the book.

The rest of the book is set in the present and is about Farah, a young widow, working for Scotland Yard and Dorian Blackwell, a notorious criminal that no one can ever catch.

This book is so well done in creating an antihero that is tortured and broken from his time in prison and the trials of life. I'm gl
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 11 12 Dec 17, 2019 02:28AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 11 10 Dec 16, 2019 08:27PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 12 10 Dec 16, 2019 08:24PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne 16 16 Dec 08, 2019 09:05PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 8 7 Dec 04, 2019 06:22AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 8 10 Dec 04, 2019 06:11AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 9 7 Dec 03, 2019 07:51PM

• The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
If you're anything like me, the best night is one spent with a brawny highlander, a mysterious werewolf, a conflicted vampire, or a hot-headed Irishman. My stories span the spectrum of romantic fiction from historical, to paranormal, to romantic suspense. But I can always promise my readers one thing: memorable and sexy Celtic heroes who are guaranteed to heat your blood before they steal your hea ...more

Victorian Rebels (8 books)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • The Scot Beds His Wife (Victorian Rebels, #5)
  • The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7)
  • The Earl on the Train (Victorian Rebels, #8)