Start by marking “Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling” as Want to Read:
Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling

Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling

Perhaps the biggest challenge a developer faces is understanding the problems that a software system needs to solve. Domain modeling is a technique for creating a conceptual map of a problem space such as a business system or a scientific application, so that the developer can write the software more efficiently. The domain model doesn't present a solution to the problem, ...more
Published October 24th 2016 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling

Start your review of Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling
Bugzmanov
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
this is the best book to read right after you've finished "functional programming in scala" and wondering "ok.. functional programming is fun, but how to use it in the real world"
Hossein Naderi
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That's a really useful book, integrating great ideas from domain driven design, functional programming and reactive design principles.
It is sometimes a little focused on tools but that's not bad and I don't know any other way for explaining this ideas in a useful way.
Anyway, this book is a must if you love new ideas and patterns in modeling and FP
Lori
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very good breadth first overview of sensible functional programming practices, put into the context of industry software. If you're a programmer, you should read it. Mostly because ignorance the of great compositional power of functional programming will keep you in the dark about a way of organizing code that is ravishingly beautiful.

Than being said, during my development as a software engineer I have been constantly introduced to new concepts: some enlightening, some not. But no othe
Thomas
Functional programming is, in a sense, the next step in the evolution of pattern-based programming and this work by Debasish Ghosh helps point the way to building successfully on these functional patterns. Debasish shows us how to unify the world of domain-driven design, as laid out so well by Eric Evans and Vaughn Vernon, with the powerful constructs of functional programming in a way that will lead to better and more maintainable software. Don't be fooled, this is not an easy book to read, at ...more
Sergey Shishkin
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting algebraic approach to Domain-driven Design coming from a strongly typed language. Probably the first time I've understood the value of Free Monads in an application context.
Tuấn Anh Nguyễn
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book advocates some nice ideas around reactive and stream-oriented systems. It's a very nice read, provided that one can pay attention not to get lured by the overzealous focus on category-theory flavor of FP.

This FP flavor is quite similar to the OOP design patterns popularized by the GoF book:
- Has too much boilerplate coming from solution space.
- Promotes a clunky layer of "general purpose DSL" on top of a general purpose programming language, which doesn't compose as well (both within i
Anton Onyshchenko
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, but was somehow hard to read for me because of the author's writing style. In the beginning of each chapter there is a rather lengthy description of things you will learn in this chapter. Instead I would love to see a deeper dive into details of certain topics. At the end of the day it's worth reading because of ideas presented there, but don't expect an easy walk in the park.
0vai5
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If one is wondering how to design a project even after going through the basics of functional programming - then this book can provide a reasonable start.

It should be read after reading the red book - functional programming in Scala. As this book fills that gap from knowing the functional patterns and using/fitting them in the project design.

It uses familiar domain - banking - for the example domain. Throughout the book, it goes on refining and enhancing this sample project using the ideas prese
Max
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very good book summarizing FP concepts - the one I've desperately needed 4-5 years ago when I've started my FP journey. I would recommend it reading before you start the Chiusano's "Functional Programming in Scala", it was a clear and refreshing read.
Deiwin Sarjas
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As a first serious foray into Domain Driven Design by someone who hasn't touched Scala for years (and only did very briefly back then) this book could've been a total miss for me. But it wasn't. It nicely covered multiple topics which I found relevant to what I've been thinking about recently and the Scala-isms were overwhelming only in few select parts. That being said, there were parts of the book that were very specifically about either Scala itself or about its libraries and so whose applica ...more
David Castillo
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
A very practical book from the start, yet well-grounded and insightful. After reading Functional Programming in Scala I was left with some abstract concepts that I didn't really know how to apply. This book explains them (monoids, functors, applicatives, monads), as well as other ones like actors and streams, but with very concrete examples within the domain of personal banking (an example domain the author uses, not that this book is about banking).
Speaking about domains, the author also articu
Roberto Gasdia
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found plenty of clarifications about how to practically apply functional concepts to day today tasks.
The book unifies many of the techniques I am studying in a consistent explanation that "finally makes sense".
I would advice this book to every advance developer that wants to apply good programming practices like domain driven design using functional paradigms as an alternative to the classic OOP way.
Peter Perhac
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, scala
Quite good. Some eye-opening pages/chapters/examples. The companion code that can be downloaded is very neat indeed. The whole book is well done. Don't expect a deep dive, it's just scratching the surface of a variety of topics - plenty of food for thought and inspiration to go off and look into those Kleisli, Free monads and Akka Streams in more depth. I think I will now continue with an Akka book.
Ignacio
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: development
A great book on functional approach and patterns for "real life" modeling. You certainly need some background on FP to be able to grasp it ("the red book" is a must), but it's a nice read to learn how to implement FP solutions.

The only reason to rate this book as 4 instead of 5 is that it feels unbalanced. It could've skipped the strategic part of DDD and Scala basics, and focus more on more complex concepts and implementations.
_
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Not only a nice explanation of Reactive Modeling but also to how it's related to Functional Programming. Definitely a recommended read!
Sebastian Gebski
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
First things first: if you're not into Scala, it's not a book for you. Also - if you're not familiar with Scalaz, it would make a lot of sense to get along with that lib first - makes reading the book far less painfully.

Back to the book itself - quite uneven. Some generic content regarding functional & regarding principles - not really interesting & easily available in plenty of other sources. But also contains some actual functional modelling considerations (shouldn't be that surprising, keepin
Victor Tsvetkov
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like the book but I think I should read it at least once again. Probably my level in functional programming is too low - some concepts in the book required hard brainwork.
Besides the Scalaz library is used in the exapmles and I'm not quite familiar with it.
Nikos Voulgaris
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Reactive Design Patterns
  • Domain Modeling Made Functional: Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#
  • Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
  • Remote: Office Not Required
  • Advanced Scala with Cats
  • Deep Learning
  • Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • Learning Python
  • Haskell Programming From First Principles
  • The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 3: Alis Volat Propriis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »