Start by marking “The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)

The Darkest Magic

(Spirits and Thieves #2)

In the second installment of New York Times bestselling author Morgan Rhodes's highly acclaimed Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, danger looms and the mystery deepens as two warring evils vie for possession of one elusive, powerful book.

Modern-day Toronto: Sisters Crystal and Becca Hatcher are reunited after reclaiming the Bronze Codex and narrowly escaping death. They hav
Published June 28th 2016 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Magic, please sign up.
Rachel It looks like this will be a trilogy. The Falling Kingdoms series however will be six books.
Kristen Still no audio, huh? There must be something going on with the publisher because book 5 in Falling Kingdoms doesn't have audio either.
YA Novels of 2016
1,295 books — 9,663 voters
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by John TiffanyCrooked Kingdom by Leigh BardugoLady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2016
1,518 books — 2,611 voters

More lists with this book...

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

The Darkest Magic was everything I wanted, expected, and more in a sequel. Morgan Rhodes can do no wrong in my eyes. The Falling Kingdoms series kept getting better and better with each installment and she's doing the exact same thing with the ABOSAT series.

The story does start off a little slow, which is no surprise to me since The Darkest Magic starts off with Maddox's POV. He's probably the least exciting and the most irrelevant character in the book. I find that he's the ABOS
Samantha
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like the insights this series gives into the Falling Kingdoms backstory, but I don't really care about any of the characters. To me, they are just plot devices to tell the origin story of this world and not much else. They pale in comparison to my Falling Kingdoms babies, and this makes me way less invested in this series's story.
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. I almost called it a DNF so many times but had to finish it out of some weird loyalty to the Falling Kingdoms series.

I absolutely LOVE the Falling Kingdoms books, but still am not sold on this spinoff series. I gave the first book the benefit of the doubt because it had a lot of cool elements (like the secret society) and seemed to be setting up an interesting series.

I really enjoy how Morgan Rhodes writes, so the writing itself was the strongest part of this book. The story itself w
Lainey
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
SPOILER BOOK TALK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8jVEw...

That cliffhanger tho...
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
grace
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5!
Fables&Wren
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

I’m not sure where to start with this review. I am really liking the dive we took with the gods and their …sibling gods/relationships with other gods? And the fact that we learned their history and how certain gods were banished and how it is affecting everything around them.

What I didn’t like is the lack of character growth. The characters are pretty firm in their standing and didn’t really mature at all or make smarter decisions (have you ever noticed that Rhode characters al
Caitlin
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing

description

Just a little disclaimer: I'm going to mark spoilers BUT I won't be marking ship spoilers so if you don't want to know the ships, don't keep reading.

I LOVED THIS BOOKS. Honestly, anything Falling Kingdoms related is amazing and I cannot devour these books quick enough. These books are honestly just incredible and I cannot wait to see what happens next. I'm constantly left shook and I'm always being blindsided by twis
Maria Angelica
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tenho, fav2016, lido-2016
Eu estou chegando à conclusão que primeiros livros não são o forte de algumas autoras. Que o segundo livro é quando elas soltam os dedos e realmente atingem alturas inimagináveis. No caso da Morgan Rhodes foi assim em A Queda dos Reinos e agora em Spirit and Thieves.
Ainda mais que no primeiro livro, nesse ela conseguiu conectar muito melhor o mundo de Mytica e o mundo real. Os elementos da história começaram a fazer mais sentido e estou curtindo muito onde ela está levando essa história. Gosto m
ambsreads
I skimmed this. I skimmed this hard.

I just couldn't get into it. It was different from the authors other works for me and I felt disconnected from the characters and storyline. To be completely transparent, I was bored. I don't know if I'll read book three, probably will. I may even try this again another time because from 40%-100% I have absolutely no clue what even happened in this book.
Wanderlust_WL
Farrell Grayson pretty much sums up the reason for my enjoyment of this book. Really, that's all I have to say.

I am always looking forward to his chapters, not caring much about Becca or Maddox tbh. There is just something so compelling and enticing to read about him as his character development gets more intense and darker. I love myself a morally grey character and Farrell fits it perfectly. Also, his obsession with Crys, despite his denial, is just so cute I cannot even. I am so on board thi
Lena
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! You seriously wanna tell me that that's how this book ends?????? Oh my, how I'm supposed to wait until next year with that kind of cliffhanger, I have no idea...
Maya
“Memories of one's past are tainted. There are no truths to be found in them.”
I don't think I'm ever, ever, going to be able to write a coherent review for this book because it's quite possibly one of the best things I've read.

I'm so shocked by how few people - who have also read the Falling Kingdoms series - have read the Spirits and Thieves series. If you haven't already, you need to give this series a chance. If not for yourself, then for Farrell Grayson. (And for the girl Farrell will 110
Sean
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was so good. Morgan Rhodes changed my life.
Nazeefa
Oct 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
FARRELL GRAYSON. I CANNOT WAIT.
Joelle (Throne of books)
COVER + TITLE REVEAL I'M OBSESSED ITS SO BEAUTIFUL PROPS TO WHOEVER DESIGNS THESE COVERS I CAN'T WAIT YES
Rebecca Lorraine
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
BookOwl BookOwl
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
★★★★★

It's a goddamn relief that this book was not a disappointment, because I had been worried that it might have been, especially with the first bit of the story.
But I continued reading and I became swept up in these worlds and characters, just as I had been in the first book. Morgan Rhodes is so brilliant how she can create twists and turns that will leave you open-mouthed and speechless and hungry for more.

I can't wait for the next book!!!
Emily May
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2016
2 1/2 stars. Just not as gripping as the last book. And the only character I really like is Farrell.
Carol
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Holy crap, that cliff hanger!
The second half of this book definitely got more shocking and crazier with each passing chapter. The title of this book is so fitting to the story. Legit, the magic in this book gets more complex and grittier. I really liked how we are uncovering the backstory to Mythica with Maddox and Becca, but my personal favorite chapters are the ones with Farrell and Crys. They are definitely one of my favorites in my Hate-to-Love Relationships. Also, who knew that there was
Ann (annreads)
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

AHHH SO GOOD!!❤
This series just keeps getting better and better, and this book was not the exception, because it was freaking fantastic! From the plot to the world and the characters, I absolutely loved every second of it and now I'm so excited for the last book!!
If you love the Falling Kingdom series I highly recommend this books!

4.5/5★
mith
the more i think about it, the more i feel that this was a 'it's not you, it's me' kinda book.
is it strange to feel that i've outgrown morgan rhodes' books? because it's starting to feel that way for me. i was never entirely a fan of her writing--i actually kind of found it blunt, vague, boring. after finishing a few books prior to this, ones with more of a cadence to the writing and a sort of liveliness to the characters, The Darkest Magic just fell flat to me.
i want to say that i liked the ch
Danny
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great sequel! It does fall a bit into the typical middle book issues that many trilogies face. I still really enjoyed this book and that crazy ending is going to make me die waiting for the third and final book!
Kennia
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow! That ending. Everything I thought I knew about the history of Mytica is so much more complicated & unreal! I was very entertained the whole time. Loads of fun adventure! Morgan, I loved it! Thank you for another fabulous book!
Nakayla Truitt
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Morgan Rhodes is a proficient storyteller! I must say her writing hooks me everytime. I had so much fun with this read and am finding myself to be a die hard Rhodes fan! Full review to come.
Natalie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Oh my goodness - what a rotten cliffhanger! Especially since book 3 is on hold indefinitely...very sad.

I loved the Falling Kingdoms series and the spinoff series is just as good. There’s a lot of action and excitement and quite a lot of bloodshed.

Farrell reminds me of Magnus - he’s kind of a bad boy you can’t help but love. I picture him to look like Ian Somerholder from The Vampire Diaries. I think I liked his chapters the most. It was interesting to see his inner turmoil.

I like Crystal a lot
AsamiTheWitch
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I enjoyed the first book a tad more than I did this one. The main reason for that is Maddox; his chapters were incredibly slow for a large part of the book and I constantly found myself wanting to go back to Crystal, Becca and Farrell’s chapters. However, I still really enjoyed a large number of events throughout the story and every character, protagonist or antagonist, grew on me.

(view spoiler)
Arooj
This book was insane. I can't get over the ending. WHAT THE FUCK.
Jesse Nicholas
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, fantasy
That ending though!!!!!
msBookLand
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! This book was great!! I loved it, I enjoyed seeing all these characters again and I loved the twists and turns in this story line, this book has been written beautifully, and it is a fabulous sequel!!

I recommend this book, this series and all Morgan Rhodes's books they are amazing 🤗
Vilma Iris
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magic duels, mysteries deepen and hearts burn brightly as kingdoms and worlds clash in this high-stakes second installment in The Book of Spirits and Thieves trilogy by Morgan Rhodes.

The Darkest Magic ratchets up tension as the worlds of ancient Mytica and modern-day Toronto tangle in a swirl of magic and mystery.

The story unwinds from the perspective of four young people thrust into magical mayhem: Maddox, Farrell, Crys and Becca. There’s a struggle for power among many, while the understanding
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 27, 2015 09:50AM
  • Lie (Foolish Kingdoms, #3)
  • Boy vs. Girl
  • A Light Amongst Shadows (Dark is the Night, #1)
  • Untitled (Guardians of Tarnec, #3)
  • Blood Passage (Dark Caravan Cycle, #2)
  • The Devil's Trill Sonata (Vivaldi in the Dark #2)
  • Intervention
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Witchrise (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #3)
  • Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)
  • Baygirl
  • The Free
  • The Immortal Throne (Into the Dark, #3)
  • Stormcaster (Shattered Realms, #3)
  • White Wolf (Sons of Rome, #1)
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • The Other Half of Me
Morgan Rhodes lives in Ontario, Canada. As a child, she always wanted to be a princess -- the kind that knows how to wield a sharp sword to help save both kingdoms and princes from fire-breathing dragons and dark wizards. Instead, she became a writer, which is just as good and much less dangerous. Along with writing, Morgan enjoys photography, travel, reality TV, and is an extremely picky, yet vor ...more

Spirits and Thieves (4 books)
  • A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1)
  • The Cursed Heir (Spirits and Thieves, #3)
  • Obsidian Blade
“Memories of one's past are tainted. There are no truths to be found in them.” 1 likes