Start by marking “All We Have Left” as Want to Read:
All We Have Left

All We Have Left

A haunting and heart-wrenching story of two girls, two time periods, and the one event that changed their lives—and the world—forever.

Now:
Sixteen-year-old Jesse is used to living with the echoes of the past. Her older brother died in the September 11th attacks, and her dad has filled their home with anger and grief. When Jesse gets caught up with the wrong crowd, one momen
Published August 9th 2016

To ask other readers questions about All We Have Left, please sign up.
Tony Conty They reference sex twice...a Muslim girl turns down a drunk kid's advances and then she watches as her "friend" takes a boy into her room. They…moreThey reference sex twice...a Muslim girl turns down a drunk kid's advances and then she watches as her "friend" takes a boy into her room. They discuss her desire to wait but the details are not given. Hope that helps.
(less)

Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This book is a must read, basically. It's incredibly thought provoking, and deals with a lot of difficult issues. Frankly, this is one hell of a brave book to write, and I think Wendy Mills handled it beautifully and with a great amount of respect and reverence.

This isn't an easy book to read, because while the characters are fictional, the events very much are not. They're real, they're
Zainab Shah
It's really surprising how underrated this book is....I mean...why isn't anyone talking about it??
This book was such an emotional rollercoaster. Really really touching and thought provoking and shit I'm an emotional wreck right now....
La Coccinelle
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. Some parts were good, but other parts left me really questioning the author's choices. This is one of those books that's probably going to be viewed very differently by different generations. My reading experience--being old enough to remember September 11--is going to be very different from the reading experience of the target audience, many of whom had yet to be born when the events happened.

One of my clearest memories from that day--and that's me
Milka
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Two girls. Two stories. One event that shocked and changed the world.

Alia is trying to visit her father in World Trade Center when she gets stuck in an elevator with a guy called Travis. Was it just a malfunction? Could it have been an explosion? Is someone going to come and help them? What happens next is something no one ever expected to happen.

Jesse lost her brother almost 15 years ago at the September 11th attacks. While her parents are still together, they are both trying hard to keep quiet
Nora Baskin
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All We have left is told in two female voices, one in 2001 and the other present day, but somewhere in this story you will find the voice of someone you know. Possibly yourself.
I was first drawn into the lives of the two main characters, and their individual journeys as teenagers navigating their particular worlds, dealing with issues of bigotry, family tragedy, and romance.
At the half way point, as I went through my day, I found myself constantly wanting to pick up the book, and return to the
Jana
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, you guys, this book.

I haven’t really heard anyone talk about this book or even mentioned it. It is a new release and it is a fictional account about the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. Following two point of views in two periods of time, this book illustrates the experiences the victims of those attacks had based on many real life accounts from real life victims, which Wendy Mills used to create her own - fictional - characters.

One part of the book is set 15 years after the attacks.
Jen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book is SO powerful and necessary, especially now. It shines a light on how hatred and violence can become a vicious cycle, passed from one generation to the next, and how it's up to the generation it is being passed down to to break the cycle once and for all.

I completed LOVED this book. I loved the alternation between the past and the present. I actually skipped back and forth in the book myself. It didn't feel like it had to be read linearly in order to appreciate it. The flow of the boo
Emily
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm conflicted in my rating of this one. I want to give it five stars, but if I'm being honest I think that has more to do with my emotional reaction to the story rather than the novel being five-star worthy. I'm glad I waited a few more days before reviewing so I could think because when everything is taken into consideration, it's definitely more of a three star.

The story is incredibly emotional and I was in tears at the end. How could I not be knowing the experiences of Travis and Alia are ba
Amanda
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This review was originally published on [a cup of tea and an armful of books], where I post other reviews, interviews, and thoughts on books!

People were living their lives, doing everyday things, when suddenly the planes hit, and time ripped into two pages titled ‘Before 9/11’ and ‘After.’ With their clumsy stories, they are saying: ‘We all felt it. We remember where we were when the world changed.’

But what about those of us who could not remember that day? I’ve seen the footage, watched the bi
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:
two-books-about-trauma-and-its-aftermath-mostly-ya-litHi guys, today I have nice, light-hearted reviews for you, perfect for sum--I'm just kidding. And I probably shouldn't kid about this. Today I'm reviewing All We Have Left by Wendy Mills and 738 Days by Stacey Kade. These are two very different books about trauma and that deal with grief in different situations and circumstances. They're not super easy to read, but they're both pretty good and portray trauma with honesty and compassion. Read on for my th
Vir
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sin palabras. Totalmente recomendado.
Laura Hofmann
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fight for your life with a stranger you just met? All We Have Left by Wendy Mills is a novel told from the perspectives of two different teens living in different time periods, tied together by the 9/11 attacks. Jesse, who lost her brother in the September 11th attacks when she was young, must discover more about herself so she can learn from the past. She also has to overcome relationship problems to become the person she used to be. She learns mo ...more
Ms. Yingling
ARC from publisher (Courtney.Griffin@Bloomsbury.com)

Going back and forth between the present day and the morning on September 11, 2001, we follow the story of two girls. Jesse (in the present day), was a baby when her brother was killed in the towers, but her family has never been the same. Her father is obsessed with hating Muslims, and her mother is just sad but trying to put on a good front. To act out, Jesse gets involved with Nick, who is hot but trouble. Her friends warn her away from him,
郭茗茗(Sarah Guo)
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book! :D
The Owlery (Elizabeth)
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have several negative things to say about this book but please do not mistake how much I fell in love with these characters and their journey! Jesse has spent her life not knowing the story of how her older brother died, when she goes searching for answers she finds more than just a lost story in the process. When the story begins Jesse is getting mixed up in the wrong crowd and their is a love interest introduced but it all seemed very inconsequential and unnecessary to the story but as more ...more
Bianca
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016-faves
Maybe everybody’s story is important, because 9/11 didn’t just happen to the people who died, it happened to the entire country. People were living their lives, doing everyday things, when suddenly the planes hit, and time ripped into two pages titled “Before 9/11” and “After.” With their clumsy stories, they are saying: “We all felt it. We remember where we were when the world changed.”

— What a beautiful and moving story about 9/11 with voices that feel so authentic. It's a very relevant book
Jen
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so incredibly touched by this beautiful story of 9/11. It was told in two perspectives from during the attacks and after. The story reflects events of that day and events that have shaped our lives from that day forward. This was without doubt one of the best fictional accounts of 9/11 that I have ever read and I have read almost everything there is out there. I was so impressed with this book and the beautiful writing of the author that I conducted a short interview with her and did a spe ...more
Alissa Haley
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review now up on Diva Reads!
Coconath
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Hate is just fear. Fear that we are powerless, ugly, small, nothing, so we hate people to make us feel better about ourselves, so we don't have to be so scared all the time.”

5 stars - It was amazing

I don't understand why this book isn't spoken about more. I loved it! The story is heartbreaking and beautifully told.

Both perspectives were very interesting and kept you want to know more about the story. The author did a really amazing job describing both sides of the spectrum on how 9/11 affect
gallopingdogs:)
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
O MY GOSH! IM CRYING!!!!!!!!! not only bc its such a touching story but also bc it makes me sad that i cant keep reading it!!!!!!!!!!!
first of all, GO JESSE!!! NICK IS A JERK HEAD AND WAY TO GO PICKING UP SABEEN's SCARF!!!!!!!!!
and alia, WOW I CANT EVEN IMAGINE!!!!! WHAT A HARD CHILDHOOD!!!!!

definitely one of the BEST books ever.

I DARE YOU!!!!!!!!! READ IT AND YOU WILL NEVER FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!
Brianna
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Camille
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is about 9/11. The chapters go back and forth between the two characters. The two girls have different views from the experience. I liked Alia's chapters more because they were more intense. More action. The other's character's chapters were interesting but slower and a bit more drama.
Erin Mash
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Character Alia in All We Have Left, shows the character strength bravery. She shows this because since she is a Muslim, she can get much negative feedback but she is very proud of her religion and wears her headscarf to school.
Blodeuedd Finland
Oct 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
I started it over a week ago...maybe even more. I put it down.

The narrator was great, that was not the problem.

I just could not get into it. I need my dnf powers back so...farewell book
Grace
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Lindsay
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a YA book that talks about race relations and religion in a realistic way, I give it a five.
Mary Gubitose
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book, I don't want to spoil it for anyone but when I realized she was with him! Oh my gosh, I practically fell out of my chair, it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I read them in a matter of days. I would 100% recommend this to a friend, but it tugs at the heart strings so have a box of tissues at hand when reading.
Kristen Herzog
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! Wendy Mills did an amazing job of sharing the story of 9/11. This is a book that should be read by all. 9/11 was a piece of history that shall never be forgotten.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This book was such an amazing and emotional and thought provoking book about one of the biggest events in our history. I was in college when the Towers fell. I admit that I was kind of naive about just how big this event was and how much all of our lives would be shaped by it. There is "before 9/11" and "after 9/11."

This book alternates between two characters and two different timelines. It would seem like this would be confusin
Caitlin Christensen
I feel like if I start talking about this book I will never ever stop, so I’m just gonna dive right in and apologize ahead of time for any stream-of-consciousness that flows out of my head.

Wendy Mill’s All We Have Left is riveting. It’s a bone-jarring, earth-shaking, pulse-racing read that you will eat in one sitting only to find yourself unable to move on and let go because every single person in this world NEEDS to read this book.

If you are on the fence about reading All We Have Left, JUMP OV
Tigers Read: Leave a Book Review! 1 1 Oct 10, 2018 06:00AM
emotion 1 2 Oct 07, 2017 12:47PM
Around the Year i...: All We Have Left, by Wendy Mills 1 11 Aug 18, 2017 09:32PM
Crazy for Young A...: All We Have Left, by Wendy Mills → Start Date: December 7, 2016 6 14 Dec 11, 2016 03:09PM
Amazon Editors' Y...: All We Have Left 15 72 Sep 20, 2016 04:20AM
  • A Taste for Monsters
  • Bad Romance
  • Still a Work in Progress
  • Kids of Appetite
  • My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan (Justin Goldblatt, #1)
  • Break Me Like a Promise (Once Upon a Crime Family, #2)
  • Wrecked
WENDY MILLS was born on the edge of the water and has never left it. She now lives with her family on a small island off the southwest coast of Florida, where she spends her time writing, finding lost socks, and dodging hurricanes. Positively Beautiful is her first young adult novel.
www.wendymillsbooks.com
@WendyMillsBooks
“People do terrible things. People do beautiful things. It's against the black backdrop of evil that the shining light of good shows the brightest. We can't just focus on the darkness of the night, or we'll miss out on the stars.” 12 likes
“We're not falling to the ground in an instant like the towers did, but it's like the most important parts of us are coming apart, the foundation just crumbling away beneath us.” 6 likes