Start by marking “Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)

Hellraisers

(The Devil's Engine #1)

The Devil’s Engine is a machine from the darkest parts of history. It can make any wish come true—as long as you are willing to put your life on the line. When a sixteen-year-old asthmatic kid named Marlow Green finds himself trapped in a surreal firefight against nightmarish creatures in the middle of his New York City neighborhood, he discovers a squad of secret soldiers ...more
Published December 1st 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Hellraisers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellraisers

Emily May
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, arc, young-adult, horror
2 1/2 stars. I enjoyed some parts of this book, but it pales in comparison to the author's wonderful, creepy Lockdown. Which you should read if you haven't.

Smith has a talent for creating well-developed, troubled male protagonists. In this case, we have Marlow Green - a 16-year-old asthmatic boy who lives with his alcoholic mother and has been expelled from every school he's been to. He's immediately a flawed yet sympathetic character.

After one more expulsion, he runs away from school and tries
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

**ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

That was the trouble with being a hellraiser.
Sometimes you got burned.

I think it goes without saying that I have really branched out on books I’ve read this year. I’ve fallen for crime novels, sci-fi novels, and, most recently, I’ve even fallen for some certain (ahem) steamier NA stories. My point is…I just enjoy reading. So when I was approached to read and review Hellraisers, I was all for it.

You can’t run forever

And that’s
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Immediate Reaction After Finishing Book

Hellraisers drew me in because of its intriguing premise and while I loved the world building I never managed to fall in love with the book. There is definitely potential in the series and by the end of the book, I was hooked, I just wanted more from the book as a whole.

What I Liked

World building. The idea of a machine that can grant any wish at a cost is so intriguing and the author totally d
Shadowdenizen
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shadowdenizen by: NetGalley
Shelves: young-adult
Alexander Gordon Smith certainly has a talent not only for creating believably-dysfuctional teenage protagonists, but also for breakneck storytelling. Absolutely no time is wasting in establishing the premise of this series and dropping Marlow Green (our "hero") into the thick of things.

Unfortunately, in this instance the total is not greater than the sum of it's parts. This book lacks the creepy, atmospheric cohesion that the Furnace series provided. There's a lot of action and people running
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay I first have to say that this book was both weird and kick ass at the same time.I can't pin point what this book is like but I have to say that I love a good book about good VS evil and Demons VS Angels. Love love love these kind of stories but this one was very weird that it had me at the edge of my seat. I started to read it and thought to myself that this is not for me but kept reading and I got into the books os much so I ignored everyone and everything around me.

In this story we meet M
Shandra
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 43%

Thank you Amazon for refunding by $7 and some change for this book! I just couldn’t jive with it. The characters were annoying to me. The story seemed forced. Totally not at all close to the Lockdown series. Man, that was a good series!
Danielle
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Devil's Engine: Hellraisers is the first book in a new series by Alexander Gordon Smith. I read the Furnace books, so as soon as this appeared on Netgalley, I knew I had to jump on it.

Sixteen-year-old Marlow Green's life is a mess of his own doing. Once again, he's been expelled from school, and he's run out of options. On his way home, he walks through Staten Island and comes across an event he can't explain.

Marlow has a choice, join the Hellraisers, or continue his meandering path to p
Crystal
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This book is a great example of why I still finish every book I start. I've always had this problem and I've tried to stop, but then I pick up a book like this one and realize if I had stopped at 50 pages or so I would have seriously missed out. Is this book great...no but by the end it did grabbed me and the story line is pretty interesting so I'm glad I didn't put it down.

In the beginning, we the reader stay pretty much in the dark about what's going on in this world that Smith has created. At
Kyle
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am very upset that I did not like this book, and that seems to be the case for many others. Yes I did have high expectations because I know the author is a great author, but there were things that happened in this book that I was not okay with.

+1 Star for the idea. First I want to say that the concept was very creative. I wish this book was re-written so that all of the parts that were not so good are removed.

-1 Star for Marlow and his entirety. There is a difference between a broken characte
Brenda A
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-con-2015
I'm giving it 4 stars because ultimately, it was a fun read. Plenty of gore and nightmarish creatures to keep you up at night, which is always a delightful time. The front cover has a quote that says, "The Stephen King of YA horror," and I think the guy that said it is definitely on the right track.

The synopsis is pretty straight forward. These kids can do whatever they want, by selling their souls. There are people working to break these contracts so they can cheat hell out of the souls and co
Morris
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like “The Devil’s Engine: Hellraisers”. The plot summary sounded promising. It also sounded very unique. Unfortunately, the promise of a good book fell flat.

That isn’t to say that parts of the book were not enjoyable. The first quarter or so was non-stop action. I wanted to know more about the characters. Of course, this created an even worse disappointment when the rest of the book moved at a snail’s pace. Seriously, it could have been trimmed seventy-five pages and nobody wo
Teri
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, the description made me request this book from NetGalley right away and while some aspects were interesting enough, it failed to meet my expectations.

The author did an excellent job of portraying Marlow as a troubled teenager who had his share of problems - difficulties in school, an alcoholic mother, lack of purpose or direction, and living in the shadow of his deceased older brother. The beginning really pulled me in and the action began almost immediately. Compared to other demon books
Kristen
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alexander Gordon Smith's Lockdown series is extremely popular with the boys in my middle school library, so I thought I'd give this one a try in the hopes of finding a new series to add.

As someone who enjoys complicated, complex sci-fi, I have to admit that I just don't understand what is going on in this story. I don't know if things aren't explained enough (clearly there will be more information as the series progresses) or if I just didn't pay good enough attention. I don't fully understand
Ricky
It's been a while since Alexander Gordon Smith gave us a new book, and so I went into this one with high hopes based on my previous experience with Escape From Furnace and The Fury. Maybe it's not quite as good as those books, but for what it's worth, you get exactly what you ask for going into this book - horror, action, explosions, and a creepy new mythos combining aspects of demons and djinn.

The romantic part of the story feels unnecessary and tacked on, for some reason. So that's the major r
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy W.
Cover Story: Mistaken Identity
BFF Charm: Big Sister
Swoonworthy Scale: -2
Talky Talk: Immersive
Bonus Factors: Noir, Deal with the Devil, X-Men
Relationship Status: Successful First Date

Read the full book report here.
Mr. Brad
I didn't finish. I just can't get into this book.
Sharon
I was given an electronic copy by Macmillan Children's Publishing Group and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

If not for the inability to assign half stars, The Devil's Engine: Hellraisers should be no more than two and a half stars. The story of Marlow Green runs concurrently with one about Pan, a secret soldier dispatched to abort a demonic attack without alerting the normal citizens of the city. Armed with a crossbow and a small army, Pan takes on the monster and might have lost her
Susan Angela Wallace
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The devil's engine: hellraiser by Alexander Gordon Smith is a horror and teens ya read.
When a sixteen-year-old troublemaker named Marlow Green is trapped in a surreal firefight against nightmarish creatures in the middle of his New York City neighborhood, he unwittingly finds himself amid a squad of secret soldiers dedicated to battling the legions of the devil himself. Powering this army of young misfits is an ancient machine from the darkest parts of history. Known as the devil's engine, it c
Rachel
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
If this book were a stew it would be comprised of the following ingredients: The meat would be The Matrix trilogy, there would be dashes of potatoes, carrots, and onions in the form of the Transformers, X-Men, and Minority Report, and the salt and pepper would be the YA tropes of "disinterested, drunken single parent," "possible world destroying war that can only be fought be teenagers," and "selfish teenager is selfish, putting everyone else at risk but in reality, he has to do this in order to ...more
Lisa Mandina
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author. I know his other series, Escape from the Furnace, is really popular, and I may have to go back and give them a try now. We'll see. When I first started this one though, the beginning had me almost ready to quit. I didn't really like the characters at first, they didn't seem very nice, and there was too much action going on without any knowledge of what Pan was doing or why she was doing it. But I stuck with it, and soon it slowed down enough to give me the i ...more
Beth
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
First of all, a big thanks to NetGalley for the free e-copy of the book! I really appreciate it!!!

You need to know that the Escape from Furnace books are a true favorite of mine, so I will always purchase books by Alexander Gordon Smith. Seriously, where does he come up with this stuff???

Hellraisers is so trippy! I love the whole idea of the Devil's Engine and the Hellraisers. You are going to really rally behind Marlow and Pan because deep down they are both so broken, but they continue to try
Courtney Nicole
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one makes me really sad to give up on because I've read so many other books by this author that I've either loved or at least liked. (Escape From Furnace is one of my favorite series.)
Sadly though, I wasn't a fan of this one. It might've been just simply because I've grown out of this writing style that feels directed towards young teens, but from the start I felt uninterested. I didn't care for any of the characters, which I feel like I should've at least a little bit for by 100 pages in.
I
Petra
Not as good as the Escape From Furnace series, but still a really good book. Lots of action, and monsters, and stuff. I liked it a lot.
William McGinn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3/4 B

I found Alexander Gordon Smith’s The Fury to be more exhaustingly long than fun, but his Escape from Furnace series is one of my most favourite ever. In fact, my ratings of the first two books have jumped from a 3 and a 2 to a 4 and a 3, respectively. So I was excited and hesitant at the same time to start this book. In fact, I was more hesitant, because Smith is an awesome guy! When I made an audition video two years ago if his Escape from Furnace series was ever made into a movie, he made
Sheila
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot.
If you like good kicking evils butt then this is a book for you.
We have this kid Marlow that is a trouble maker with asthma that happens
To fall in a group of Engineers Aka warriors and or good in kicking some demon butt.
They explain eventually who they are and what their objective is.
Marlow decides to join them. They take him two their engine aka evil or of something of the sort
But yet they can use it for good and possibly end up breaking their contract.
I cannot wait to
Aurora Dimitre
This is very, very, very 'typical boy's YA'--think along the lines of the Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Boy, who is an outcast + unliked by authority, falls into this world with demons and stuff and also, nice enough, there's a tall hot teenage girl hanging out, too, and she probably hates him but we all know how it's going to end.

So like... I wasn't a huge fan. I did like Charlie, though.
Ginny
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a book! My adrenaline is still surging; good thing I just took my blood pressure pill! Lots of action, fast-paced, great characters which will certainly be further refined in the next book. I think mr Smith has a lot of fun writing gross graphic monster fight scenes for YA 😄 - just an observation...
Follow him on instagram. He’s a fun guy!
Kendra
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting premise. A little wonky on the time line as far as "hundreds of years" in relation to older than religion.
I've read Tunnels by the same author and both have well developed characters, gross horror aspects and suspense. Perfect for teen boys if they can get past the length which tends to be substantial (especially in Tunnels).
I'll read the rest of the trilogy.
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 ⭐'s, The was one little plot twist that I had a hard time with and kept me from giving it 4⭐'s. This little twist is what actually made this "predictable" to some degree.

I did enjoy this story and will be reading the second book.
Tracy Hollander
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this one so I didn't finish it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
SQHS YLL: Hellraisers by Alexander Gordon Smith 3 9 Apr 12, 2018 02:38PM

• Scarlett Dedd
  • Teen Frankenstein (High School Horror Story #1)
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • The Good Demon
  • The Blood (Morpheus Road, #3)
  • The Devils You Know
  • Public Enemies (Immortal Game, #2)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Onibi : Carnets du Japon invisible
  • The Agony House
  • The Boy Meets Girl Massacre (Annotated)
  • Be Not Afraid
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Scary Out There
  • Nightstruck (Nightstruck, #1)
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • The Messengers
  • Shutter
Alexander Gordon Smith is the author of the Escape from Furnace series of young adult novels, including Lockdown and Solitary. Born in 1979 in Norwich, England, he always wanted to be a writer. After experimenting in the service and retail trades for a few years, Smith decided to go to University. He studied English and American Literature at the University of East Anglia, and it was here that he ...more

The Devil's Engine (3 books)
  • Hellfighters (The Devil's Engine, #2)
  • Hellwalkers (The Devil's Engine, #3)