Start by marking “Normal (Normal #1)” as Want to Read:
Normal (Normal #1)

Normal

(Normal #1)

"The truth is I hurt people. It's what I do. It's all I do. It's all I've ever done."

He lives in your community, in a nice house with a well-tended garden. He shops in your grocery store, bumping shoulders with you and apologizing with a smile. He drives beside you on the highway, politely waving you into the lane ahead of him.

What you don't know is that he has an elabor
Published March 31st 2015 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Normal, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
S. when rachel was waiting for him in the garage while it rained, she went down to the basement and saw the cage. i'm assuming the entrance was left open…morewhen rachel was waiting for him in the garage while it rained, she went down to the basement and saw the cage. i'm assuming the entrance was left open from that.(less)

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This is one exceptional novel. If you don't read this then you are so not in the cool gang. If you read crime novels a lot like me, or even if you don't, start now, with this one. Honestly, go do it. I freaking loved this book for a million reasons, it messed with my head, blending slight humour through a book about a serial killer is not an easy task, but it was pulled off with finesse. Bravo to Graeme Cameron.

I loved being in the head of this serial killer.

I’m not NORMAL.

He is the man who live
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I was born and not made. A product of nature, and nurture be damned.”

In case you didn’t already know, here’s a pie chart that explains how normal I am . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Now that we have that covered, let’s get down to bidness. I should title this week’s reviews “books I requested from NetGalley and was denied but was soooooo stoked about them I immediately got them from the library upon their release only to be extremely disappointed.” Someone
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
A book written from the POV of a serial killer....woo hoo,I'm on board.
As soon as "Normal" was delivered to my kindle,I hunkered down on the sofa and dug in.

After a few disappointing hours,my take on the book was as follows, a man with a van, a home in a remote location, mad knife skills and cage in a secret basement. YAWN. Nothing original,fresh or mind blowing.

The serial killer,who remains nameless throughout the book, is basically your run of the mill " Mommy's-little-basement-dwelling-red pi
Lisa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Normal by Graeme Cameron is anything but normal it started with a bang & just kept going until about the middle then slowed a bit, this was not for the faint of heart it is very dark & gruesome what this serial killer put his victims through was abhorrent it chilled me to my core I couldn't imagine myself being kept in a cage like an animal.

DID I LIKE THIS?
BUT
Would you believe I actually liked the protagonist?
I wont go on any further as I don't want to give any spoilers away.

WARNING D
Christine
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2015
This book should come with a warning. You will fall in love with a serial killer and find yourself laughing inappropriately as you read.

‘Normal’ is a story of an apparently normal everyday bloke. He has a secret. He is a serial killer. We get to know him as he is methodically cleaning up, following one of his kills. We follow him stalk, kidnap and kill. He enjoys murder and the body count rises. We don’t even know his name, but that does not matter. Hearing his thoughts and seeing his actions, w
Faye, la Patata
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
A book about a serial killer in the eyes of the serial killer... I know what you're thinking: the morbidness! The fascinating concept! The potential to show us what it is like on the other side of the fence! The opportunity to give us such a gritty, different, and complex story!

... which boggles the mind: how the hell did this one manage to bore me the frack out?!

Here's the thing, ladies and gents: when we're reading a perspective from the other person when it comes to controversial issues, I ex
Zoeytron
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: public-library
I'm a big fan of leaving some things to the imagination, but I do not want to have to do all the work. I can fill in the blanks with the best of 'em, but there needs to be a point of reference with which to begin. This was like a cryptogram without a key. It was all over the place, with no clue as to the whys and the wherefores. Bumping it up to two stars for the dark humor which kept me reading.
Jules
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Firstly, and most importantly, everyone should read this book right now!

Even if it’s not normally your genre of choice, you must read this book, so that you have experienced it too. This is definitely one of my favourite books of the year so far. It’s bloody marvellous!

It’s going to be so hard to review this book, as I really don’t want to give much away at all. I’m not even really sure how to describe it. It’s a psychological suspense crime thriller with dark humour and a little extra ‘totally
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 stars!

This book surprised me with how much I liked it. Not because I was expecting the writing to be bad, or even because I didn't think the storyline would be interesting, but rather because, this story is told through the mind of a sociopath. The voice, is one of a killer and as weird and messed up as it sounds, it was a fascinating read and hard to put down.

This jumped right into the gore, right into the heart of the storyline.

There is nothing quite like the dark twisted mind of someone
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Normal
Author – Graeme Cameron
Publication Date – March 31, 2015
Genre – Psychological Thriller
Type – Stand Alone
Cliffhanger – Kind of…it’s up to you
Rating – 4 to 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
I first have to have a short rant about how the nameless anti-hero (or hero in my book) gets the short end of the stick. I always seem to fall in love with the underdog and get frustrated when t
Liz Barnsley
Right. So where to start. First of all for me, this was one of those books that grips you so utterly that you practically live in it. In fact I probably have lived in it for the last couple of days even whilst doing the usual life type things like picking up the kids from school…hang on, wait, where are my kids? I’ll be back….

Seriously though, this was a marvel of a twisted tale, so addictive that a warning sticker on the front of the book would not go amiss, most horrifically fascinating and wi
Rebecca Bradley
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
GO OUT AND READ THIS NOW!

Okay, done that? Good. Now you'll know just how bloody amazing this book is. Seriously, it is already on my list of top five books of the year and it will take a hell of a lot to shift it off.

It's a novel, unlike many novels you read in the crime genre. It's told in first person narrative from the point of view of a serial killer. Come to think of it, I don't think we even get to know his name!

And don't be fooled by how much I love this book, this guy really is a bad guy
Tracy Fenton
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG. I have "NEEDED" to read this book from the second I saw it on Netgalley and went to incredible lengths including stalking and begging to finally receiving a copy from the publishers last week. This did not disappoint.. it was deliciously dark and sick and twisted and funny and wonderful and disgusting and just perfect in everyway... except the ending....! Noooooooo... I want more..... I need more... don't leave me like that.
I will be following Graeme very carefully (be afraid Mr Cameron) an
Janet
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A debut from the pen of Graeme Cameron which I know has a lot of buzz around it at the moment.

The book is about a serial killer who goes around, well, killing; young females predominantly. It's written in the first narrative from the killer's perspective throughout. The point being we get to see his personality, where he's coming from and how's he's feeling as he approaches his kills. The opposite of anything akin to 'normal'. During such one kill he's stumbled upon by the victim's friend so is
Christy LoveOfBooks

Hell yes! Normal is a total win. I had high hopes for this book and it totally lived up to them.

I can’t help it, I love getting the story from the serial killer’s perspective. It's friggin’ disturbing, yet completely fascinating. And it’s definitely 100% entertaining.

Normal is told from the main character’s perspective. What’s really cool about this is the fact that we never know the narrator’s name or age. There are little references that kind of narrow it down, but it comes down to him being f
sue

This book by Graeme Cameron is named NORMAL.

This may be named NORMAL but its anything like NORMAL and its certainly ME that isn't NORMAL!!! Because I got to like a serial killer, OMG how did that happen!!! I was left feeling like I was really not NORMAL and felt unbalanced reading this!

Its an outstanding debut novel. You turn the pages knowing that he's going to kill someone again when they least expect it, it can be graphic and terrible imagined in your minds eye and you end up reading it behin
Sean Peters
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Normal, we follow the day to day life of a man who is seemingly ordinary to outsiders, yet following the story through his own eyes, we see how far from normal he really is. This man, you see, is a serial killer, and a good one at that.

"The truth is I hurt people. It's what I do. It's all I do. It's all I've ever done. I'm not... normal."

This is one very different book, one thing is for sure, love it or hat it, you will not read a book like this. I LOVED the idea of being able to get inside t
Wanda
The success of the Dexter novels and TV show has obviously started a bit of a trend. I’m thinking of Dan Wells’ novel I Am Not a Serial Killer, a story of a young man struggling with his urges, and now Normal, which features a killer as the main character, with limited success at making him a sympathetic character.

If you are squeamish, stay far away from this novel. Its first pages include a dismemberment and the whole thing includes multiple murders. The twist is that our main character (who ne
Deanna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I honestly could not decide between two and three stars. However, since I was somewhat entertained and I did finish the book rather quickly I went with three.

I feel a bit deflated after finishing the book. I think I may have bought way into the hype and was so excited for the book that it kinda just left me feeling flat.

It had a very intriguing story plot, and I was positive I was going to be thoroughly engrossed from the start. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as originally thought I wou
Ashton Jade Gibbs

Normal - Graeme Cameron
Beauty, Books and Babble

★★★★✩

I'm going to tread lightly around explaining the outline of this book, as I really dont want to spoil
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
I picked up Normal because I was absolutely fascinated by the idea of reading a love story (notice I didn’t call Normal a romance novel) written in the POV of a serial killer, because I have been fascinated with serial killers for years. What makes them tick, how they do it, why they kill people, what turns them into humans that kill and mutilate other humans – these are only a few questions that have plagued me since I first heard the term “serial killer.” So it was not a complete surprise that ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it

Normal by Graeme Cameron is told in the first person, by an unnamed man who lives in a lovely English farmhouse with a separate garage, drives a white Transit van, and enjoys cooking.

The novel opens as our mystery man is cleaning up after the murder and dismemberment of his latest victim, and is interrupted by an unsuspecting young woman whom he abducts. With Erica safely caged in his purpose built, underground games room our protagonist goes grocery shopping.

"I know exactly when it all started
Bookread2day
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very creepy story that you will not forget in a hurry. I can see this been adapted into a film. Further more Normal is Graeme Cameron's first novel. He is a new author to keep a look out for. I am quite certain it wont be long before Graeme Cameron becomes one of the top best selling authors.
This haunting tale is where a man living on your street, in a nice house with a tidy garden. He shops in the local supermarket just like us all. What freaks you out is the stairs leading down to his basem
Jessica~loves to hate a cliffy~
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Wow, Just Wow!

I think I may need some therapy after that one. Or just put me in the ward..

Mr. Cameron, bravo for making me want this serial killer to get an HEA. (view spoiler)

Margaret Madden
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
How quickly could you spot a serial killer? Male? Female? Young? Old? In fact, most of us know that anyone of us could be a killer. There are obviously recurring themes when you research the lives of these killers; dreadful childhoods, lack of love and support, lack of feelings etc etc... but very few people think of these things when they bump into a stranger on the street or park beside them at the supermarket. Who is standing in line alongside you at the library? How often have you seen the s ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Harlequin Mira and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

NORMAL by Graeme Cameron is told in the first person, an unnamed killer, whose favorite pastime is trolling the neighborhood and abducting women and killing them.

From the mysterious front cover, the summary, and the first 3% of the book, I was ready to settle in for a chilling psychological thriller. The positives stop here.

From this point on, it declines quickly, and if I had not requested it throug
Jenn
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a little reminiscent of “You” by Caroline Kepnes. I did love how creepy the nameless narrator was. He’s pretty much a lovable serial killer. His morals are all screwed up and he doesn’t know whether to love or hate. His mind is a mess of red and is tangled up beyond belief. He must be charming as he keeps enthralling women.
Melissa
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I’ve got problems."

Wow . . . just wow! I’m so glad that I stumbled across this book. From the very first page, it was dark and mesmerizing with a touch of comedic genius.

The entire story is told from the serial killer's POV and it makes for a truly great story. The author never gives a description of what the killer looks like or even his name. It’s left entirely up to the reader to conjure up the identity of this guy. A guy that preys on unsuspecting women and could be out walking among us
Hannah (Vamp of Savannah)
Jan 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have no idea what I just read.

The plot, and believe me I'm being kind in calling it that, was so fragmented I found myself cursing at every other page, desperately trying to understand...
"What the hell is going on?"
"Shit. What is happening right now?"
Oh come on, just write ONE legible paragraph, damn it!"

And on, and on...I don't know how to accurately describe the struggle of writing this review when I can't condense all the hate into a few paragraphs.

There may be an interesting story here, bu
Leslie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars--This was anything but "normal"! :)
The 2019 Reading ...: Normal by Graeme Cameron 16 30 Sep 05, 2015 06:26AM
What exactly happened at the end? SPOILERS 5 63 Aug 13, 2015 09:36PM
Kindle English My...: July 2015 Group Read - Normal by Graeme Cameron 10 22 Jul 18, 2015 09:30AM
  • Bird Brain
  • Follow the Leader (DS Allie Shenton #2)
  • The Euthanist
  • Hidden
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Split Second
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Dying For Christmas
  • What Lies Within
  • The Murder Code
  • In Too Deep
  • Don't Talk to Strangers (Keye Street, #3)
  • The Girl Before
  • The Cold Cold Sea
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • This Little Piggy
  • Sorrow Bound (Aector McAvoy, #3)
  • The Swimming Pool

Normal (2 books)
  • Dead Girls (Normal #2)
“Her eyes were closed to the sunlight flickering past the window, her ears plugged with tiny white buds, slender fingers tapping a steady moderato beat at odds with the easy sway in her shoulders. I couldn't hear the music, but as I watched, her body coiled around a deep breath, and the rhythm accelerated through the flat of her hand, and then her hips rocked to four powerful chords, and her head dropped loose on her shoulders, and she squeezed her knees together and drew in her feet, her calf muscles tautening and her ankle bones turning and then tendons in the back of her hand thumping time and the cords of her neck pulling the skin tight over her collarbones as her body snaked through what I heard in my head as Hugh Burns's guitar solo in "Baker Street" clear as day. And though confined to her seat, she danced unselfconsciously and without restraint, and every small movement in every small part of her—the life in her—was the most beautiful thing I thought I'd ever seen. I wanted to cup her gently in my hands and carry her home and keep her forever but, mindful of the probability that she might have other ideas, instead I closed my eyes and turned up the music in my head and, in spirit if not quite in body, danced with her instead.” 1 likes
“Did I really feel so powerless in my own life that I had to take this poor, vulnerable creature's to compensate” 1 likes