Start by marking “Top 10” as Want to Read:
Top 10

Top 10

(Top 10 #1-2)

The massive, multilayered city of Neopolis, built shortly after World War II, was designed as a home for the expanding population of science-heroes, heroines and villains that had ballooned into existance in the previous decade. Bringing these powered beings together solved some problems but created others - turning Neopolis into a pressure cooker that normal policing meth ...more
Published April 21st 2015 by Vertigo (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Top 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top 10

Start your review of Top 10
Anne
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
At the end it kinda took me by surprise how much I like Top 10!
At first I wasn't all that into it, because it didn't seem to be going anywhere, and the characters weren't all that...I don't know...interesting?
And I was already a little leery, because I'm not exactly the target audience for anything written by Alan Moore.

description

Now, the art didn't exactly make me jump up and down for joy, but considering this is an olderish comic (1999), I'm pretty much giving it a pass.
*shrugs*

So, basically, this is
Donovan

This is a world building book. Top 10 wouldn't be half as interesting in a different setting, because Neopolis has unprecedented and extraordinary design and detail. Because I'm so ill informed on design and art history, I can't tell you exactly what informs the design except that it's a pure and amazing amalgam: bright and clean and futuristic, dark and ancient, and contemporary all at the same time. If you read this book for one thing, read it for Neopolis.

While the main plot is police proced
Cheese
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've read most of Alan Moore's books and I've never found his books light hearted. However, this, THIS is fantastic. It's got everything I could ask for from a comic.

It's set in 1999 and since world war 2 there was a city created for super powered beings and scientists. I'd compare the city to the film Fifth Element.

It's a bustling city and the story follows the Police station of the tenth dimension called the Top Ten. It follows the Police officers and how they go about making arrests, their
Juho Pohjalainen
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superhero stories all have the same problem: it really is hard to take it all seriously when most of the main characters conceal their identities under garish masked outfits. When a story realizes this and doesn't even bother, the potential for bathos is enormous. And as expected with Alan Moore in the helm, Top 10 gets full marks for this.

It's a gritty, mostly serious cop drama with complex characters and some quite dark undertones (especially towards the end)... all the while literally everyo
Robert
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People Who Know You Should Never Meet Your Heroes
Now one of my Top 10 graphic novels :)

So how about a bunch of superscience heroes punching the clock as workaday cops in a city full of powered up beings? Bitching about the bad coffee, the traffic, getting on each other's nerves but also backing each other up when push comes to shove.

description

A real masterpiece, full of sly humour and commentary on the genre of comics in general. And the art! so packed with detail, I honestly thought I was reading a "Where's Waldo" on a few pages. Well worth slowing dow
Martin
Who knew Alan Moore could be funny?

This book was full of good surprises for me: it is full of unique and endearing characters; the interwoven storylines are well thought-out; the dialogue is witty; there are liberal doses of humour; there are innumerable Easter Egg nods to popular comic culture, some more obscure than others, but if you know what to look for, it's right there; the panels are full of detail; the world created for this book is very imaginative and crazy - think 'The Fifth Element'
Eric
So...

santa

I've never sat through a single episode of any police procedural. It's a genre that, although it's produced many critically-acclaimed works, generally fails to light so much as a spark of interest or curiosity in me, and when a show does it just lights a spark of maybe, someday, I'll watch an episode, when I got nothing better to do. And make no mistake, Precinct Ten isn’t the Justice League, or the Avengers, or the X-Men. They’re law enforcement first, super-powered individuals and/or peo
Peter Derk
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this YEARS ago when I was getting all up into Alan Moore's America's Best Comics line, but I wanted to read it again. I remember liking it a lot, and I wonder how the ABC stuff would hold up. Because, honestly, Tom Strong was one of my favorite comics ever, and I want to re-read it, but I'm nervous it's not as good as I remember, and when I read it I might hate it.

So, Top 10.

Really good.

There were three things I really liked about this.

One, it's a police procedural comic book where everyo
Stewart Tame
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely! This is one of my favorite Alan Moore titles. I've heard it described as "Hill Street Blues with superheroes," and that seems to be an accurate summary. In a city populated by heroes, robots, aliens, ghosts, gods, etc., Top 10 is merely one of many precinct houses. The officers have their daily briefing before hitting the streets, doing their part to keep the city safe. The series focuses on the daily grind. Yes, they have their share of high profile cases, but there are mundane moments ...more
Graeme Dunlop
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun and inventive look at cops, superheroes, multiverses, gods -- lots of the familiar tropes which occur in comic books. The Top 10 of the title is a group of superhero cops, set in a world full of "Science Heroes", a term Alan Moore uses in more than one of his worlds. They have many and varied abilities but what they're doing is responding to calls like regular cops. It might be: a drug bust; a call to investigate Santa sightings, complete with sleigh and reindeer; an apparent god sl ...more
Zoe's Human
Brilliant universe. Lots of little tributes in the art and elsewhere. Reads like a decent detective show. A good joke in every episode, each one a story but with some plotlines extending through different issues.

Story good but not great. Concept wonderful. Characters intriguing but not complex. Artwork is fine but not beautiful. The last couple of issues in this book were much better than the beginning, so I'm definitely interested in seeing what comes next.
Zedsdead
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well that's just damned delightful. Top Ten is essentially a TV police drama set in a city peopled entirely with the superpowered. Cops, politicians, drug dealers, homemakers, winos, lawyers, waitstaff, everyone can fly or read minds or shoot eye lasers or walk through walls. They're mutants, or aliens, or sentient robots, or genetically engineered, or genius inventors.

Moore's (and his illustration team's) world building is superb. Eye-catching costumes and colors everywhere. Comic book technol
Nate
Mar 11, 2020 added it
One of the many things I love about Astro City is its innate sense of history. Read any AC issue and you can immediately tell there’s so much history to the world, that it’s a living, breathing place of superhero legacy and tradition. I can say the same thing about Top 10. Right from the get-go in Moore’s faux journalistic introduction, it’s apparent just how much thought went into fleshing out this alternate world of superheroes. This is a comic about comics, in other words – a loving, playful, ...more
Nick
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical, clever and action packed. Awesome characters and really cool story.
Brad Theado
This book would not be in my top 10....
Alwyn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

A Great Graphic novel, filled with humour so many Easter eggs and references and intrigue. A must read for anyone who appreciates a good book.
Max Z
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A masterful work by one of the great titans of the medium.

Back when the old master was still sane, he wrote some really good stuff. At its core this book is a police procedural/drama set in a superhero-heavy setting. And we're talking real heavy. Pretty much everyone in Neopolis has some kind of superpower and they all usually use it to earn their living. Metahuman is the norm here.

Out of the three "cops with supers" series I've read this one is the best. I still have a soft spot for Brubaker's
Andrew Kleimola
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was at C2E2 walking artist alley with my son, and I messaged a friend. "Kyle, check out the lineup online and tell me who I need to check out!" He came back with a handful of suggestions, one of which was Gene Ha - specifically for the book Top Ten. I looked up at the booth right in front of me at that moment, and it was Gene's! So we chatted for a short while, I bought Top Ten, he signed it, and he also did a sketch of my son as Spiderman. Pretty cool!

I not only enjoyed Top Ten, I enjoyed the
Robert
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reread of the first two volumes of this series - probably about the closest thing to 'lighthearted' Alan Moore that you'll come across nowadays. A 'Hill Street Blues'/'Homicide' type of procedual, except the precinct is set in a world with access to alternate Earths and superheroes are commonplace. Not as heavy as some of Moore's other work, though one can see some experimentation that led into later issues of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, NEONOMICON and the current PROVIDENCE.
Steve Tetreault
These are some great stories that do what Moore is good at doing - picking away at the tropes of superheroes, and using the genre to push back at some of the issues in modern society. There are weird characters living in a weird multiverse, but the main issues are still about humans being humans. I wish there were more issues of Top 10 available, because it's a really interesting world, and I'm curious to see how Moore would continue and develop it.
Leo McBride
Lately, I've been reading through some classic Alan Moore work - Watchmen, V for Vendetta and the mighty Halo Jones - but I'd never actually read Top 10.

It was time to remedy that. I'd heard great things - it's kinda hard not to hear great things about Alan Moore work, let's face it - but never actually picked it up previously.

From the off, it's at once very different from a lot of Moore stories and yet hits familiar beats. The cast is a disparate group of cops, super-powered police to look af
Lufia22
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Top 10 is an odd comic. It's part satire, part comedy, and part social commentary with a dash of seriousness and tenderness. Top 10 is a police department in the city Neopolis, a city where everyone is a superhuman. This 12 issue comic covers the characters that make up the team of Top 10 and their various law enforcement outings.

Along the way, you'll see parallels to our society through themes of drugs, prejudice, sex, etc. It is all presented in a very absurd and often humorous way, heightene
Dale Jones
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Alan Moore, Gene Ha, and Zander Cannon's Top 10 is a superhero police procedural details the lives and work of the police force of Neopolis, a city in which almost everyone, from the police and criminals to civilians, children and even pets, has superpowers and colorful costumes. We follow a cast of characters who are great like Robyn Slinger aka Toybox, her partner Smax, Jack Phantom, Girl One, Dust Devil, Peregrine, and many others.

The story is all over the place. There are some threads that
Ystyn Francis
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was great! While "Watchmen" remains the pinnacle of both graphic novels and the clashing of the superhero genre with the real world, in "Top 10" Alan Moore has successfully taken what is, in many ways, the same seed of an idea and then told a completely different tale with its own specific tone, look and agenda. It initially feels rather silly but it doesn't take long for the "Hill Street Blues" and "Homicide: Life on the Streets" comparisons to become apparent as these unbelievable charact ...more
Craigary
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this when it first came out but also glad I hadn't because it was perfect company on a camping trip I just took. kept me company all week. I really liked Watchmen an awful lot but Top 10 was much more enjoyable in some ways. There are serious, violent and poignant parts but also a lot of humor throughout. Only knock on it is it loses a little steam toward the end (and then I wanted it to keep going), but overall it's wildly inventive, great fun, and also visually dazzling -- yo ...more
Michael Cook Jr.
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid 4 out of 5 stars. It started off real slow for me (halfway thru I was ready to move on to something else) but ended strong. It's not Watchmen or Swamp Thing elite level Moore but definitely the tier right below it. The levity was cool but I didn't find it as funny as some people...Morrison's Doom Patrol had me laughing out loud, this had me smirking here and there..."police exercises" was good though.

The world building art was so good...crisp. And the backround humor was great..."career d
Rob
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three-and-a-half. Boy, is that one unappealing cover*. It's boring, cluttered, and completely ineffective at getting you interested in what turns out to be pretty great work within. Had Alan Moore's name not been attached, I doubt I ever would have picked it up. But I was dumb! Moore still has a completely new and unique angle on superheroes here that feels completely different from "Watchmen". Even if you're suffering from extreme superhero fatigue, it's still a "good read".

* I spend most of th
ISMOTU
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gene Ha and Zander Cannon draw the heck out of this book. It is an immersive world with tons of fun little Easter eggs for longtime comics fans. I tend to either dislike Alan Moore's work or really love it and this is a situation where I enjoyed the story immensely. With cool ideas and beautiful art, Top 10 is a super powered police procedural that gets pretty intense but doesn't forget to have some fun along the way.
Trevor Durham
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alan Moore does it again. Top 10 is an obvious precursor to POWERS (one of my favorite comic series when I was growing up), but so much better. It is honestly a perfectly plotted series that gripped me with each subplot, perhaps even more than the overarching narrative. Each character, no matter how small, gave me depths and insights to Moore's world. The minor tragedies weighed with the larger, and this 12 issue series should be five times longer, the richness even more explored.
Baba
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fi-i-guess
The great Alan Moore's version of a superhero state from the viewpoint of a police precinct. I read the original America's Best Comics (Wildstorm Production) comic books Top Ten #1-12, Smax #1-5 and Top Ten: The Forty Niners. 6 out of 12.

• Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City
  • The Fade Out (The Fade Out, #1-3)
  • Hellblazer, Volume 1: Original Sins
  • Exo Vol. 2: Moon Strike
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life
  • Enigma
  • Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Days of Hate Act Two
  • The Authority, Vol. 1
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Batman: Gates of Gotham
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor