Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes in A Scandal in Bohemia (The Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Book 4)” as Want to Read:

After his wedding, Dr John Watson sees his good friend, Sherlock Holmes, not nearly as often as he used to. Whilst Watson builds a happy life with his wife, Mary Morstan, Holmes remains, as peculiar as ever at 221b Baker Street, flirting with criminal cases and cocaine. One day on the way home from his practice, Dr Watson passes by his old haunt and drops in to see Holmes, ...more
Published July 8th 2014 by Chilli Ink (first published June 25th 1891)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes in A Scandal in Bohemia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes in A Scandal in Bohemia

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes in A Scandal in Bohemia (The Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Book 4)
Aishu Rehman
This is one of the the stories where we are first introduced to the only woman whom Sherlock ever recognized as being worthy of his attention; Ms. Irene Adler (aka The Woman). The story itself is told from Dr. Watson’s perspective, which I find to be a rather clever technique as it gives the readers a chance to see Sherlock’s method of reasoning as though they were working alongside him. My quarrel with this tale, as I am sure it will be with the remainder of them, is that they are rather short ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
“You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear."
description

I'm gradually making my way through the Sherlock Holmes stories collected in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which you can download free here at Gutenberg.org. This one is the story of The Woman.

description
To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. ... And
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
why yes, yes I am counting this towards my reading challenge. if schools gonna take my time I'm making every assignment count
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
I enjoyed this venture into the Sherlock stories much better than my original attempt. It was fun to read this particular story, because much of it was used in BBC's Sherlock. It felt almost familiar, yet I didn't really know how it would progress.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

I quite enjoyed this.

Despite the short length it had a fast pace, yet at the same time it was like nothing was missing from the story.

It was a quick and very enjoyable read, and with every story I read I want to read the next even more.
Kati
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2015
I've always wanted to read the Sherlock Holmes short stories and this was a great start!
It's so much fun to compare the original story to the BBC series or the movie starring Robert Downey junior. And let's be honest: The friendship between Holmes and Watson is irreclaimable.
Satrina T
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Sherlock Holmes book I've read, I'll definitely want to read more because I liked the way everything ties together in the end.
Sierra Collins
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I highly prefer Doyle's version of Adler to the one portrayed in the tv series. The tv series is pretty brilliant though.
David Sarkies
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love a good character
Recommended to David by: Guy Ritchie
Shelves: mystery
My first experience of Sherlock Holmes
17 January 2012

This was the first of the Sherlock Holmes stories that I have read, and the third story written by Doyle. There are about 51 short stories and 4 novels so I do not propose on writing a review on each of them. First of all it will make it look like I have read more books on Goodreads than I really have (in the same way if I added every sonnet that I have read as well, though I would like to write commentaries on a number of them) and that it
Gavin
A scandal in Bohemia is the first short Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. Concerning his employment by the King of the eponymous nation and subsequent entanglement with The Woman.

Honestly, and perhaps it's because I've seen the subject matter dealt with twice in the two modern re-tellings (both Cumberbatch and Downey jr), it was a rather underwhelming (ah-ha) affair. I was expecting a clash of wits, a cunning plan, some escalating action. Anything really, but it was a bit of a misfire as far as the
Cerys Weston (Browsing For Books)
ugh, yes, I love this. Sherlock Holmes is amazing and this is the most iconic story ever
Mahoghani 23
I love a good mystery writer and Arthur Conan Doyle was one of the greatest. His character Sherlock Holmes was a great investigator or detective and his method of deduction was impeccable. In this story it seems impossible to locate the truth because so many others have failed but the outcome and deception will surprise you. It definitely surprised Sherlock Holmes. Always good to read a short story every now and then.
Eye of Sauron
The first of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories, "A Scandal in Bohemia" is a reasonably entertaining diversion. The mystery itself is not incredibly noteworthy, but the story is notable for introducing the now-famous character of Irene Adler.

And yes, I've begun to publish a series of these public domain short stories in order to make a series of matching covers and metadata on Goodreads!
Ruba Sham
2.5/5 it was normal...super normal, nothing like the sherlock we know, when we are mesmerized by his smartness.
Brendan Kilpatrick
In the short story A Scandal In Bohemia, part of th collection of short stories in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the story begins through Watsons eyes once more and it starts off with Watson and how he is recapping on his life and how him and Holmes grew apart due to his recent marriage. Watson is walking down Baker street when he sees his old house still occupied by his best friend who had now grown apart. Watson wondering once again of his old companion stops in and from there the ...more
Karen
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last Tuesday, I had another hour to kill (probably the wrong word) while I was in the hospital waiting for my mom to have her scary heart test. I had read all the magazines I brought, so I pulled out a Kindle and read this version of A Scandal in Bohemia.

I had recently watched Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia starring the delightfully weird Benedict Cumberbatch, so I wanted to see how one compared to the other. The only line that seemed to date the original was the one about a married woman
Keely
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read better Sherlock Holmes mysteries but I did enjoy A Scandal In Bohemia, both because it was the origin story of Irene Adler/Sherlock's curious infatuation with Irene's mind and also because of Sherlock/Watson's interactions. Their friendship is the backbone of Sherlock Holmes mysteries and their interactions in this story were really humourous and just plain great. It wasn't a great mystery but that's okay. They don't all have to be.
Elijah Okesson
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story begins with Sherlock and Watson talking. Then, the King of Bohemia comes and asks them to steal a photo of him that is planned to be used as blackmail against his girlfriend. Sherelock and Watson investigate it, and attempt to steal the photo. They fail, and the owner escapes. The kings girlfriend cancels Theo wedding and breaks up with him, so the king is content.
Karen
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read-digital
One of the better Sherlock stories I've read. I quite enjoyed this one, especially because I love Irene Adler. If you're a fan of the BBC show, this is a fun one to read to see what they pulled from it for the show.
Suzie Fullmer
I am a fan of the Sherlock Holmes series. He is much more eccentric and interesting that I ever imagined.
Kate
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quick little read. It was nice to see Sherlock get excited about something other than violins, cocaine and crime.
Erin
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book of Arthur Conan Doyle. I really liked it
Sean
A quick fun read for Sherlock fans. This story is lighter in tone in that it isn't a murder mystery but deals more with blackmail.
Rakan
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The first book in the Sherlock Holmes marathon
Jeff Yoak
Not having read this story in five years, I'm amazed how I remember every detail of it. It's one of my favorite of Holmes.
Jon
I'm very much a fan of Holmes in the short story format and I can see why it's classically been the most popular format for the stories.

Doyle does masterly work in minimal pages in introducing the character of Irene Adler, whom I find to be equal to Holmes and Watson and hope to see much more of in future stories. Further, I enjoyed the King quite a bit despite his small screen time. Doyle has a knack for writing entertaining characters.

Doyle captures the details of Victorian London as well as
Steve
King of Bohemia needs SH to regain possession of photo from Irene Adler who is blackmailing him with the photo as they had an affair and he is now getting married. SH pretends to be horseman to find out where she lives then stages a fight so he can get into her house. Watson is asked to throw a smoke bomb through the window and shout fie so that SH can see where the photo is hidden as a woman would retrieve her most valuable possession in a fire.
She works out what has happened and lees the
Amir Boumaaraf
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the feminine element which Arthur conan doyle added in his novel. i am baffled by the simplicity of the novel, and yet the spectacular plot in the end of this wonderful novel.

these are some of the wise and amazing quotations that i came across through the novel:

"You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist
Donna
Just finished reading “A SCANDAL IN BOHEMIA” (THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, #1) by ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE. I read this short story from the hardcover book “THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES AND OTHER STORIES” while listening to the audible version narrated by DAVID TIMSON. In this story Holmes is hired by the King of Bohemia to recover blackmail evidence, held by the woman whom the king once promised to marry, but who he abandoned for a woman of noble birth. Quality Mystery....I also watched ...more
Manon
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A Scandal in Bohemia is one of the 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It is the first of the twelve stories collected as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

In this story we are introduced to Irene Adler, The Woman. She has outsmarted the great Sherlock Holmes in his quest to find a photograph for Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel-Felstein and hereditary king of Bohemia.

A fun and quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Mystery, Crim...: LEGO Illustrated Sherlock Holmes book series 1 8 Jul 24, 2015 04:54AM

• Boter 1  (The Godfather, #1)
  • The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race, #1)
  • The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1)
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • مغامرة النبيل الأعزب
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • أجاثا كريستي رواية الأحد عشر يوما السرية
  • حاكم الجان/ الصياد
  • حاكم الجان/ الملك الغائب
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
  • Flaggermusmannen (Harry Hole, #1)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • فضيحة فى بوهيميا
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism
“Ahora que me ha puesto usted al corriente, haré lo posible por olvidarlo” 0 likes