Start by marking “Backlash” as Want to Read:
Backlash

Backlash

He says: You're an awful person.
He says: What makes you think I would ever ask you out?
He says: The world would be a better place without you in it.

Lara just got told off on Facebook.

She thought that Christian liked her, that he was finally going to ask her to his school's homecoming dance. They've been talking online for weeks, so what's with the sudden change? And where
Published April 28th 2015 by Scholastic Press

Start your review of Backlash
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Paige Bookdragon
While reading this book I had to stop and look up the author. I was sure I was reading a book written by a teenager. She is not. But I'm telling you, she plops the reader down into the heads of four teenagers and it's a scary place.

Palm Springs commercial photography

Lara, the oldest daughter of a political mom who wants that perfect family. Lara was overweight in middle school and bullied for it. Called Lardo and Lardosaurus she went to counseling and was doing somewhat better. She made the cheerleading squad and was talking
Paige  Bookdragon
"Band-aids don't fix bullet holes."

-Taylor Swift

(You'll get why I use Taylor's Bad Blood quote after you read the book :) )

There are books that you have to recommend because it was just plain awesome or maybe because it was a total mind-fuck and it was a wrecking your emotions.
But there books that you just have to recommend because the message it's telling us is too important to ignore.

Backlash is that book. It talks about bullying (on or off in cyberspace) and I know that I don't need to t
BookOwl BookOwl
★★★★★

Guys this was so good. I could not out it down until I was finished. I mean damn! You guys need to read this.

This deals with some real issues that people, especially teenagers are struggling with.

Cyber-bullying is the most important theme here.
Everyone whose anyone has a Twitter, Facebook or Instagram account, you name it we know it. I know everyone whether directly or indirectly has been apart of this growing epidemic. It's either we've liked a status, shared it or worse post it.
It's si
Kelly Hager
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you read the synopsis for this, you're probably thinking that it sounds like an After School Special, right? Or like a cheesy Lifetime movie, one that will probably involve suicide, a trial, a ton of uber-preachy lectures about bullying (both online and in real life) and lots of tears? Lots and lots of tears?

Here's the thing about Sarah Darer Littman's books: she can take a hot button topic and make you feel sympathy for everyone involved. And she can take what would be a complete train wreck
It's UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME.

Sorry, I just cannot find myself giving this book a pass. I realize it's about cyberbullying, and that is important. No argument there. What bothers me is:

1. The author writes in a very pedestrian and childish manner. It's poorly done at best. Writing prose out of dialog with "like" peppering everything is not right. Teenagers may talk that way, but that doesn't mean they think that way. Furthermore, most teenagers can understand their own actions and speak normally.
Elle's Book Blog
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Release Date: April 28, 2015
Genre: Young Adult Drama (Social Issues)
Actual Rating: 4 stars

Sarah Draer pens an intense read with Backlash. This book takes an emotional look at online teenage bullying and the aftereffects that it causes (actually, the ripple effects that it has on everyone as well). I think all teens and their parents should read this book. It's certainly an eye opening read and it may make you think twice about what you do online and the affects it can have on everyone.

Thi
Norah Una Sumner
27.05.2015 I have a feeling that Marco Mengoni and Backlash by Sarah Darer Littman will make a good mix. =)

description

28.05.2015.

Real rating: 2.5

Yeah...Marco Mengoni was so much better than this book.
The main problem with this book is that I couldn't connect to or relate to any of the characters:

••There's Lara,who is bullied by this guy Christian on Facebook and who was really depressed in middle school-she decides to take her own life by taking pills.I understand that she was hurt but taking her own l
Lauren AKA randomreader
WHO'S READY FOR ANOTHER UNPOPULAR OPINION? I SURE AM!
[image error]
I am really surprised by how high the rating is on this book, because it seemed to integrate every trope it could in the plot, and I don't think I am saying that in a positive way to be honest. This book was filled with bad parents, stereotypical mean girls, and the misunderstood sibling. It had it all. Before I rant about this topic for ages, I'll get into the actual review, because that's what you are here for, not for me rant
Jaden
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Backlash is an okay book, I'm glad I'm done with it. I found myself at times putting it down and not wanting to pick it up, but then other times I never wanted to put down. The book at times almost made me angry with the characters with what they would say/do. The author did a great job with the book, but I am sill undecided about if I like the book.
Jeff Raymond
I really want to dismiss this outright as a ham-fisted after school special of sorts, but even adult novels are filled with blunt force cautionary tales, so it's really not fair to single out this young adult title about cyberbullying.

Based on some true stories regarding cyberbullies convincing teens to kill themselves or act out, this story takes place over multiple points of view, both from the aggressor, the victim, and family members of both. The pacing is quick, and the story ultimately was
Milena
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was supposed to be about cyberbullying but instead got turned to a bunch of nonsense from the author who does not know the difference between depressed and spoiled child.
Kelly Mclean
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so realistic that it was practically taken from the pages of the newspaper. Shows the way that social media can be taken too far and destroy not only one life, but the lives of everyone around them. I really could not put this one down.
Lu Bielefeld
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Liked it!
#cyberbullying #bullying

It’s not easy being Lara’s sister. If she weren’t my sister, I probably wouldn’t be her friend. But she is my sister. And nobody, nobody, sister or no sister, deserves what I just saw on that page.

“That’s Miss ‘I’ll Do Anything No Matter How Sick to Get Likes on Facebook.’

You said you loved me, but it was all a liiiie. Now I’m so lonely, all I do is crrrry. That’s when I get the idea. The genius idea of how I’m going to get my revenge on Lara for laughin
Zachary Gonzalez
May 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Honestly, This book is complete shit plot wise. The writing, charterers, diction, etc were all fine and did not bother me one bit but the story was shit. 200 pages of this book follow the perils of a teenage girl and her cyber-bully (Don't even get me started on the bitch of the lady that the bullies mother was). The book does do a good job at explaining cyber-bullying and its affect on young woman, however, the book had a piss poor ending. I read this entire book just to learn that the bully an ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Cyberbullying is just one more reason why cellular phones shouldn't exist. I've never owned a cell phone and I have no reason to want one anytime soon, either. Anyway, this book is standard anti-bullying novel, but it takes form in the world of the social media website Facebook. Similar to the 2011 film Cyberbully and the 2013 film Social Nightmare, the story follows a group of kids, Christian, Lara and Bree, and when Christian shares nasty comments online, neither he nor Bree have any idea the ...more
Sofi
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I think that this book has an important message and I can appreciate it for that reason. It also had enough drama to keep my attention. The characters were pretty well developed and I appreciated all of the different point of views. The author seems to write teenagers believably. She is able to capture all of those teenage emotions. It took me back to days in high school.

But there were quite a few grammar/spelling errors. I don't know what was up with that. And sometimes I just wanted a little
Susan
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have never heard of or read Sarah Darer Littman but I love her now. She writes beautifully with so much passion and feeling. I can't wait to read her previous stories. I have already recommended BACKLASH to many readers and I know they are going to love it just like I do. It is just that kind of story. We've all heard of cyber bullying but to have a birds eye view of what happens to the people involved, really makes you wonder how you would react if it happened to you or someone in your family ...more
Kylie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books and I really enjoyed reading this. I didn't take me that long to read it because I thought it was really good. There is mixed emotions going on throughout this book. I also like Sarah Darer Littman as an author and like reading her books.
Blodeuedd Finland
I have listened a lot of emotional YA books since I started listening to audio, and this one deals with cyber bullying and suicide.

People are awful. Anyone who thinks that we ever will live in a nice world is sadly delusional. Ugh people! I understood one of them because people are idiots, but then this other bully, wtf is wrong with you! But then people are evil.

The books starts with Sydney finding her sister Lara in the bathroom. Lara who used to be overweight and has struggled with depression
Helen Stower
This book is a cautionary tale that delves into the very topical issue of cyberbullying. It is the story of Lara, who befriends a boy she doesn't know personally. Full of insecurities, Lara is very flattered when this "hot" boy from a nearby school asks to be her friend on Facebook. His attention increases, and Lara finds herself fantasising about meeting him until he rejects her in a very public post and many of the kids at Lara's school 'like' the post.

The repercussions of inappropriate online
Megan Tonn
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was an incredibly powerful book that tackles an issue that we hear the devastating effects of far too frequently today: cyber bullying. My heart broke not just for Lara, but also for Bree, Sydney, and Liam. Hearing the story from all 4 of these characters helps the reader explore his/her own thoughts about the situation, while also becoming increasingly disgusted with the mothers in the book. I binge read this book in an afternoon, because I had to know how the situation was going to r ...more
Read InAGarden
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Read as part of an assignment. Viral bullying is an important topic for bibliotherapy but this book really felt like an 1980's era after school T.V. special.
Cesar
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
4 stars

Warning This book does contain an attempted suicide scene.

Backlash talks about the issues of cyberbullying, suicide, and the consequences of our actions. It's something that has been seen before in various books and even those Lifetime original movies. Though the story is repetitive, it is important that people know that cyberbullying is still going on and it does lead some people into committing suicide.

(Confession time: I've had this book on my shelf for over 2 years and I am now just
Kora
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was a good book it is really emotional and sad but it is a good book.
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
I just picked it up due to the cute cover and the intriguing synopsis, and I didn't expected much from it either.Simply I just liked this book but I didn't loved it that much. It was really a thought provoking story and related to cyber bullying happening now a days.

What I liked most about this book was the moral of the story and it also shows that, how by taking certain actions can effect each people in your life whether they are family,friends or the people you may know.It seemed very realisti
Sanjana
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this book in a book store when my sister was shopping for CLOTHES.

eye roll

I have never read a book revolving around cyber bulling before this one.It started out quite depressing. I found all the characters annoying but for some reason I still enjoyed it. It was probably the pleasure of knowing I'm better person (there I said it) then most of the characters in the book. (except maybe Liam)

I

As the story progressed I started liking it more and more even though some of the characters idiocy sur
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: A-

When Lara tries to kill herself after a nasty online breakup, her next door neighbor and former best friend Bree videos her being wheeled on a stretcher into the ambulance and posts the clip on Facebook. Told through Lara's, her sister Sydney's, Bree and her brother Liam's points of view BACKLASH is a cautionary tale about online bullying and it's unintended consequences.

Sarah Darer Littman brilliantly crafted a timely story that will appeal to both teens and tweens drawing upon some re
Diamond Simmons
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I an on page 300 of Backlash. Lara met who she thought was christain Dewitt on Facebook. She fell in love with him. Then soon after Lara thought he was going to ask her to his school dance Lara saw what he had posted on her wall. He said that the world would be a better place with out her. After reading this Lara tried to commit suicide. When Lara got out of the hospital and the police got a case going for Lara they found that Lara's ex-best friend Bree was the one posing as Christain on Faceboo ...more
Addison
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I can't begin to describe how amazing this book was! The character development alone of those involved in the cyber bullying is remarkably insightful. This a great book to teach that all actions have consequences and thinking before doing is very important. A great book for young adults to read!
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ My review of Backlash can be found on YouTube here: Backlash by Sarah Darer Littman
2018 Beyond the C...: Book review 5 1 2 Jun 04, 2018 09:54AM

• Skinny
  • One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
  • After Ever After
  • Worthy
  • Girl, Stolen (Girl, Stolen #1)
  • Fifteenth Summer
  • Donut Go Breaking My Heart (Wish, #5)
  • Quarantine: A Love Story
  • Thin Space
  • Braced
  • Can't Look Away
  • Screenshot
Sarah Darer Littman is the award-winning author of CONFESSIONS OF A CLOSET CATHOLIC, PURGE, LIFE, AFTER, WANT TO GO PRIVATE? and the upcoming CHARMED, I'M SURE and IN CASE YOU MISSED IT and middle grade fairy tale retellings CHARMED I'M SURE, and FAIREST OF THEM ALL. She lives in Connecticut, in a house that never seems to have enough bookshelves.

Tweeters follow Sarah @SarahDarerLitt

News & Interviews

“Elmo is telling kids about how great it is to share. Oh, Elmo, you poor, deluded little red fur ball. You don’t have a clue, do ya, li’l buddy? Kids are way meaner than Muppets.” 5 likes
“You look like a drug addict,” Mom says. “It washes you out completely.” “Wow. Thanks, Mom,” I tell her, swallowing the lump her words bring up in my throat. “I can always count on you to build up my self-confidence.” “Would you feel better if I lied to you?” Mom asks. “Okay, fine. You look like Miss America. There, happy?” 3 likes