Start by marking “The Complete Stories of Truman Capote” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories of Truman Capote

The Complete Stories of Truman Capote

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  4,342 Ratings  ·  292 Reviews
A landmark collection that brings together Truman Capote’s life’s work in the form he called his “great love,” The Complete Stories confirms Capote’s status as a master of the short story.
Ranging from the gothic South to the chic East Coast, from rural children to aging urban sophisticates, all the unforgettable places and people of Capote’s oeuvre are here, in stories as
Published September 13th 2005 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories of Truman Capote, please sign up.

Behnam

Mojave
One Christmas (less)

Diane Barnes
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Truman Capote, and have always liked his writing, and even his strange personality and flamboyant lifestyle, but I never realized what a genius he was til I read these early stories of his. The first one in this collection was written when he was 19. 19!!! The early ones are very gothic and eerie; the later stories are more professional and polished; but all of them were enjoyable little gems.
Christopher Conlon
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
What is it about Truman Capote? Despite the fact that he was unquestionably a minor writer, with an uncommonly thin portfolio of published work considering his forty-year career, he remains a figure of fascination. There have been books about him, movies, a Broadway play—and most of his own writing is still in print, still celebrated nearly thirty years after his death. And, even if I’m not always sure quite why, I’ve loved his work above that of virtually any other American writer for more than ...more
Tom Mathews
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who read to the beat of a different drummer.
I figured I had better hurry up and read my copy of The Complete Stories of Truman Capote while it’s still what it claims to be. In less than a month Random House will be releasing The Early Stories of Truman Capote, a collection of 14 previously unpublished stories written during Truman’s teens and twenties. I’m looking forward to seeing how they compare to the collection I jut finished.

This was a great collection of stories, one of the best by a single author that I have read. Even the least i
leynes
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I lowered my initial rating from 4.5 to 3.5 stars upon going through my annotations. Truman Capote wrote 20 short stories – 8 of which I highly enjoyed, 5 I appreciate and 7 I didn't enjoy and/or didn't remember at all. This is quite a good score as I am usually struggling with short stories.

The thing that stood out the most to me is the fact that Truman managed to take the most simple and true-to-life situations – like a train ride home, the holiday season, suburban life – and spin them in a w
Jeanette
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories were 3 star for me, like "Miriam"- which is too Poe-like gimmicky. But overall, and I am an impossible audience for short stories on the whole, I did like these. There is, for me with Capote- an often felt mood that belies some of the jolly words or situations of mirth. Rather partially that of an "outsider looking in" or nervous energy angst toward eventual rejection to the norms? Or a sense of bizarre meanness that's too easily understood? It parses out in the end to connot ...more
Paul Bryant
Contains two of PB's All Time Greats :

"Miriam" (1945)

TC can write about kids really well, and as we know, he is suspected of having more than a hand in the writing of "To Kill a Mockingbird" which is all about kids. In "Miriam" we have an original character, a violent ghost girl. I have a list of people right here who I'd love to get Miriam to visit.

"Children on their Birthdays" (1948)

He gives away the punchline in the first sentence, then in the lyrical delirium of the prose which follows he m
Pietro
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The infamous Capote, proprio come nel film che svela la tormentata genesi del suo scritto più celebre, A sangue freddo. Truman Capote era un po’ un avvoltoio del pettegolezzo, una specie di cimice ambulante che captava qualsiasi discorso a sei tavoli di distanza. E me lo immagino benissimo, con le piccole mani tozze, una che artiglia un bicchiere di J&B e l’altra mollemente abbandonata oltre il bordo del tavolo con la sigaretta fra le dita, fare un cenno perentorio di silenzio ai convitati, ...more
Camie
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was not a fan of In Cold Blood which I felt glorified murder and also am not a short story fan. Capote was a pretty eclectic guy and this collection is proof of that. Didn't like them all, no surprise there, the surprise was that I really enjoyed some of them : Jug of Silver, The Thanksgiving Visitor, A Christmas Memory, and One Christmas. After reading the intro I believe these stories were certainly influenced by many of his own adventures as a young boy being raised in Alabama by extended f ...more
Kirk Smith
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just liked it you see. I especially like all the stories with Southern settings. Not so much for the urban settings. Knowing this is my preference, I plan to read The Grass Harp.
Christine
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Capote's short stories in one book? Yes, please! This man is a masterful story teller. I am not one who usually likes short stories, but Capote wins my vote in the category! I'm a big fan. The end.
Eva
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH BELOW
Truman Capote is een van de grondleggers van New Journalism, een vorm van journalistiek waarbij literair schrijven en het vertellen van een non-fictie verhaal door elkaar lopen. Tijdens mijn studie journalistiek was In Cold Blood dan ook verplichte kost, en bovendien onderwerp van discussie. Want is het boek nou journalistiek, of niet? Is het meer Peter R de Vries, of toch meer Thomas Ross? Ik vond In Cold Blood heel interessant; het staat voor een nieuw soort non-fictie verhalen en
Natalie
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elizabeth, malena, maura
Truman Capote's writing is perfect. Not the least bit pretentious. He brings out the disappointments people and situations can bring, but he does so with such a quick and clever wit that you don't feel awful after reading. I would have been one of his fag hags.
Ce
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Cold Blood was the first Capote work I read, and this the second. I remain struck by how skillfully he builds scenes and atmosphere and just sucks you in. It happened 100 times faster in these short stories than it did in the book—no small feat considering I read while commuting on public transportation. The real world just disappeared and I found myself in Capote's characters' worlds, watching and feeling as the stories unfolded.

I'm not necessarily from any of the characters' worlds, but th
Jackson Burnett
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Truman Capote was one of the great American writers of the 20th Century. It's a shame he didn't better utilize his talent.

This is a fine collection of Capote's short stories. Most have a glossy magazine feel to them, but they are well-crafted and interesting to read. The holiday stories are masterpieces.
Josh Black
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Monroeville, AL has this mural with a big mockingbird on it that says, "The Home of Harper Lee". Where's the mural for Truman Capote?
Camille McCarthy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Capote's short stories are well worth the read. I had already read "In Cold Blood" but never any of his fictional work, but he is excellent at both. They are not as ambiguous as J.D. Salinger's short stories and that is why I preferred them - they have a beginning, middle and an end, and they are just as well-written. He conveys the feel of New York through many of his stories, which is why they remind me of Salinger sometimes, but he also has many stories which take place in the south and thos ...more
Мартин Касабов
Събрани разкази: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2015/06/bl...

Вижте, аз съм един от малкото хора, които не харесват особено "Хладнокръвно" (поне сред моите приятели, простете за превземката), но за сметка на това намирам "Закуска в Тифани" за великолепна, така че исках повече от Капоти, но по възможност в кратката форма. Наскоро излезлият сборник на издателство "Колибри", със събраните разкази на автора (абе, само на мен ли ми прави впечатление, че тази корица е стъпка в правилната посока), предостав
Laia
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-read
I don't know whether to give this more stars for the quality of writing, but it brings into focus such unpleasant things, it is hard to say I "really LIKED it." Which of course is part of the brilliance of his writing.
Really fun as a book club pick...lots of short stories, each one of them giving you something to talk about. Wasn't particularly taken with the first half of the book, but fell in love with some of the later stories, and found all of the stories a nice complement to each other whe
Karen
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
haunting. many of these stories are whimsical, with a sense of foreboding that makes them incredibly beautiful and sad at the same time. the characters are often interesting in a creepy way: one of his favourite types seems to be young girls aged beyond their physical years, sometimes indecently knowing. other than this, of the works of Truman Capote i've only ever read Breakfast At Tiffany's, which is beautiful.
Kim Kaso
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
4+. All the stories were not great, some were uncomfortably creepy, but the great ones were truly great. The closer he stayed to his roots, the better they were, I think. The ones where he was remaking himself in NYC were more surface and shine, a bit like a foreshadowing of his becoming one of the people more famous for being famous in his later years than for producing great work.
Catherine
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Terse, gothic, flamboyant, and surprising, with some beautiful passages: "In the country, spring is a time of small happenings happening quietly, hyacinth shoots thrusting in a garden...and midnight rain opening lilac." It seems from these stories that The South never leaves southerners, no matter how many identities they take on, even in New York.
Infada Spain
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Αγαπημένα και αλησμόνητα: Ένα Δέντρο από νύχτα και Ένα Σπίτι από Λουλούδια...
pennyg
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of stories. Observational, character driven, brilliant in style and tone. But I am a fan so I would probably be thrilled to read his grocery list had he written one. I re-read this collection once a year if for nothing else than the one of the best Christmas short stories, A Christmas Memory.
Jane
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Diann Blakely
The nearly apopletic horror of Flannery O'Connor's first view of Truman Capote, on the book jacket of OTHER VOICES, OTHER ROOMS—with the author lying recumbent on a couch and looking, according to one wag, like a cherubic rent boy—is well known. Nor did she much care for one of Capote's comrades in arms, Georgian Carson McCullers, who was an alcoholic-in-training starting in adolescence, a lesbian, and for most of her life a partial paralytic, owing to a succession of small strokes. Nevertheless ...more
Linda
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you never read anything else by Capote, read A Christmas Memory. The short story has to be one of the most tender, yet most gut-wrenching story ever written. It will make you cry because the ending is sad but it is one of the most perfect endings ever.
The Christmas Memory is one story in The Complete Stories of Truman Capote. As in all story collections there are some good, some great, and some okay. But the great ones in this book are spectacular. I never realized that Capote mastered differ
吉尔梅
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A mensagem que me mandam limita-se a confirmar a notícia que uma qualquer recôndita veia dentro de mim já tinha recebido, essa notícia que amputa uma parte insubstituível de mim mesmo, deixando-a tão irremediavelmente perdida como um papagaio de papel cuja guita se partiu. É por isso que, nesta manhã de Dezembro, nesta manhã muito particular, ao atravessar o campus de uma escola, os meus olhos não largam o céu. Perscruto as alturas como se estivesse à espera de ver um par de papagaios perdidos ...more
Behnam
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this book, I found myself skipping through pages on most of the stories, they really weren't that good, most of the stories either had a boring start, boring characters, or 40 pages of reading for an unsatisfying end.

The stories I really liked were:
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory
The Thanksgiving Visitor
One Christmas

And I didn't very much care for the other stories, so I'm not gonna even make comments on them.

Terri Jacobson
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The stories in this collection were written between 1943 and 1982, with most being written in the 1940s. I enjoyed the stories very much; I was surprised at the lyricism of the writing. Most of the stories are about women (invariably women of style) undergoing various struggles. The roots of Capote's writing are very much in the American South. These stories provided a quite enjoyable and thoughtful reading experience.
Carol
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-rated
The man is a genius! This is extremely high praise coming from someone who does not like, never has liked and does not see a future in liking short stories. However, Capote's writing is like prose poems; never a cliché; wonderful insight; delightful reading -- right up until the last "no ending" sentence of each story. I have read IN COLD BLOOD but never anything else by Capote prior to this. I'm on to anything else I can find - it was pure pleasure.....
  • The Complete Stories of Evelyn Waugh
  • The Selected Stories of Patricia Highsmith
  • The Lonely Hunter: A Biography of Carson McCullers
  • Collected Stories
  • Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career
  • The Stories of Paul Bowles
  • Toys in the Attic
  • The Early Stories
  • The Collected Stories
  • Capote
  • Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • Selected Stories
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...

Fiction Deals

• The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.: A Novel
  • 600 Hours of Edward
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
    $4.99 $1.99
“He’d always been willing to confess his faults, for, by admitting them, it was as if he made them no longer exist.” 27 likes
“Here is a hall without exit, a tunnel without end.” 12 likes