Start by marking “Retribution (City of God, #3)” as Want to Read:
Retribution (City of God, #3)

Retribution (City of God #3)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Jerusalem, A.D. 66 . . .The City of God seethes with rage against imperial Rome . . . and, in an act of unspeakable brutality, Rome takes deadly retribution. War looms on the horizon---but one woman already knows the outcome. . . .Transported from the far future, Rivka Meyers has made her home in Jerusalem with her husband and fellow time traveler, Ari Kazan. But in a turb ...more
Published August 17th 2004 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Retribution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retribution

Sheila Holmes
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series of three books was just magnificent! I did NOT want it to end. I've never read an author like this who could conjure up the most vivid imagery in his descriptions of happenings. (His descriptions of some crucifixions of men, women and children who had done nothing more than being at the wrong place at the wrong time) were so realistic that I realized yet anew how terribly disgraced a way of being put to death that cross crucifixions were, and what Jesus suffered.

I want MORE! Not more
Ann Thomas
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-christian
Wow!! I was so disappointed - where's the next book? I can't wait to find out what happens next - but that's the end of the series. The author promises to write more, so I'll just have to keep an eye out, and in the mean time encourage everyone to read these books.

This is the third in a series about two scientists who find themselves trapped in first-century Jerusalem. That's the only science fiction part of the story. After that it's pure suspense as they get caught up in the events leading up
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The City of God series was a nice story for a change of pace. A time traveler adventure with a twist! Very well researched backgrounds and historical events blended with characters from the Bible being witnessed by modern age lost souls. Well worth reading several times, buy all three in the set.
I've read all three books in this series, but I only have the energy to review this one, so take my comments as covering all three.

This is a massive panorama of a series. There is spiritual stuff in it, sometimes deep enough to be life-changing, particularly in book three.

It's set at around the time of the early Christians, so there is a lot of conflict and there is violence, but this was a violent time. The cricifiction, after all, was violent. And the cast of characters had me lost now and aga
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, religion
I really enjoyed this book. I felt quite invested in the characters. To be honest, I have just finished the series (couldn't stop reading long enough to do the reviews!) and I am very much looking forward to more books in this series. I feel like I know Ari and Rivka personally. What is really nice is that the series doesn't lose its momentum and in fact, improves with each book. Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.

I went the easy way out with the reviews but I would like to add that thes
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow...what a GREAT series of books! Reading the end of this just made me want more, and author Ingermanson states that #4 will be forthcoming in the (hopefully) near future. The amount of research he has done to write these three books is amazing, and I am very thankful to him as I learned a great deal about the Jewish peoples through these three books. For those who may not have begun reading this series, please read them in their order, and also be forewarned that there are some difficult but ...more
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-fiction
It is a terrible thing to be living in Jerusalem in the first century when the Jews are rising up in conflict against the Romans. It is even worse when you come from the future and know what the outcome will be. Rivka and Ari are a historian and engineer from the the twenty-first century and trapped in the past as a result of time travel experiment gone horribly wrong. Now they are living with the results and facing difficult decisions. Ari is torn between peace and violence and Rivka also strug ...more
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bummed this series is over for now....more to come later I've read but not any time soon. I rarely re-read books but this series I would should more come out down the road. I didn't have a much free time to devote to this third book so it took longer to read...probably the only reason I gave it four stars instead of five. The other two I read on vacation and couldn't put down. This one I only had time to read as I collapsed into bed. I write this at one am however so it is not like it hasn't gra ...more
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2-fiction
As I stated in my review of book 2, I loved this series. It just kept getting better and better. Ingermanson did not let up on the momentum of suspense, dynamism of characters, or power of the story, right to the gripping end. My only criticism is that I did not want such a good read to end, which is my highest compliment. RI is a very talented author, and has me as a devoted fan. BRAVO!!! and SEE YOU IN JERUSALEM! (Now I must, MUST go!! Not just sort of!)
Beverly Siegman
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most enjoyable reading. Couldn't hardly put it down. I liked the sequence of events. It came close to events I have read in other biblical books but of course with a fictional spin. I chose this rating because it had me wondering if things would work out or not and it didn't disappoint.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an open mind. The descriptions of life in that era put me right back into the bible.
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: god-and-faith
Love this series. Would recommend to anyone. Really a great book to be reading at the same time as Not a Fan as the conversations Jesus had with the religious elite take on very vivid meaning. The theme of sacrifice unleashing power has really stuck with me too. Great story but I'd recommend reading them all from the start as the story and impact builds. Like my dad who recommended them, I wish the author would have continued to write their story.
Judith Noameshie
Loved it!

I have read all three books. I like how the author share with us events that really happened while still telling the story of the protagonist. This really taught me about events in Jerusalem in first century A.D. this explains a little more about the current Jerusalem. I recommend this series to everybody. and a note to the author: please don't silence Rivkah and her family. I am hoping for sequels. Thank you for this great teaching lesson.
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the third book of the series, and was left wanting more. Hopefully the author will continue the series. It is so interesting to follow a couple of scientists who are trapped in the 1st century and are trying to survive the events of the time. Very interesting depiction of the Jewish religion of the time and the beginnings of Christianity.
Tomas Potrusil
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I cried throughout this book as a small boy. It was so touching. And I'm still thinking about this thought that was throughout the book, that sacrifice releases power. It seems to make sense. It was very well portrayed. I just wish there was another book in the series already. I'd buy it immediately.
Duawana Wilson
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randy Ingermanson is fabulous writer!! This is a riveting story. It's fast paced. You will be astonish with the detail that throws you into to the heat of the action. I can not wait to read the 4th book. This is definitely a must read series.
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absorbing recreation of a dusty city on the edge in the first century. A compelling plot turns the pages while you get to know the spectrum of well-rounded characters. Meticulous research only adds to the enjoyment, without hampering the read.
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I learned a lot about how Jerusalem really was in this time. It is good to realize conflict between Jews and Christians. Enjoyed the characters and that they all had good and bad sides. But I expected the "happily ever after" story and did not get it!
Sandra Barnett
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book brought out your imagination and helped me to examine myself. I found myself in much prayer for others. I liked the historical facts introduce, the details and research taken on. Excellent job. I would highly recommend the series.
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Wish the series would continue. I like the new possibilities of the direction of things. Would recommend this series to friends.
Dave Wheeler
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great novel

Part 3 and enjoyed reading, some history along with a great story that is also enlightening to the time of the setting of the story and the early church.
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ingermanson's work is amazing. Both the modern space exploration fiction and his historical fiction -- amazing, beautiful. I keep waiting for his new work...
Andrew Philip
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed all three books in the series - but the story is left hanging at the end of book 3. I hope there will be more to come.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three books in this series were very enjoyable.
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are going to read this make sure you read the entire series. This is the third. It's more of a 3.5. I liked the concept and the history.
Ravindra Chauhan
wonderful read
James Lucas
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love book 3 of 3. Felt the author could of extended the conclusion to a 4th book but still, very entertaining
Jan 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
Ditto as Premonition. :)
Margie Jimenez
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best series I've ever read!
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Onlyl regret in reading this book is that it is the last in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the series and the scope and the wrapping up of the story. Couldn't recommend the books more.
Cameron Caffee
Jul 27, 2016
  • The Fifth Man (Oxygen, #2)
  • A Treasure Deep (Perry Sachs #1)
  • Shivering World
  • Flight to Eden
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • The Last Guardian
  • Runner of Pern
  • Unclaimed Legacy (History Mystery #2)
  • Boo Who
  • The Face of God
  • Third Path (Stargate Atlantis, #23)
  • Katie's Dream (The Wortham Family, #3)
  • Inheritors (Stargate Atlantis, #21)
  • A Cat Out of Egypt (Yeshua's Cats, #2)
  • Arabian Winds (Egypt Trilogy #1)
  • Path of Blood (Path, #3)
I'm a novelist, physicist, and fiction teacher. People around the world call me "the Snowflake Guy" because of my wildly popular "Snowflake method" for writing a novel.

I've published 6 novels and won about a dozen awards for my writing. I'm a theoretical physicist with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley. I publish the world's largest electronic newsletter on how to write fiction. I run the software divisio
More about Randy Ingermanson...

City of God (3 books)
  • Transgression (City of God, #1)
  • Premonition (City of God, #2)
“Please, you will do it anyway. When you hear to do a merciful thing, that is always at least a whisper from the heart of HaShem. Obedience will strengthen the ears of your spirit.” 0 likes