Start by marking “The Trouble with the Truth” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with the Truth

The Trouble with the Truth

Set in the 1930s, this poignant, funny, and utterly original novel tells the American story of one lost girl's struggle for truth, identity, and understanding amidst her family's nomadic, unconventional lifestyle.

What's the right way to behave, to think, to feel, if you're always the new girl? How do you navigate life when you're continually on the move? Do you lie? How do
Published February 10th 2015 by Strebor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with the Truth

Start your review of The Trouble with the Truth
Betsy Robinson
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is not a review, but there is no place to post contemplations on Goodreads, so I’m placing it here.

(Update 4/13/20) I just took a YouTube course on how to make a book trailer, so I made one for this book: https://youtu.be/t_B0h23Ip-I

(Update 5/22/16) This just published in the Northwestern University alumni news. It only took 59 years!

Author Edna Robinson (1921–1990) was and is my mother. I am her daughter and editor of The Trouble with the Truth, and I thought I would share why I love this
Erika
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Lucresse Briard smacked me upside the head with the love stick.

I went into this hoping for the best but not expecting a whole hell of a lot. Then I started reading a forward, not realizing it wasn't the beginning of the book, and it was a little dry and I put it down, dreading the rest of the read. I finally picked it back up and started at the actual beginning of the book and was delightfully surprised.

Lucresse and her brother Ben live with their father who is... what... an antiques d
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to Betsy, the author's daughter and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The charming part of TROUBLE WITH THE TRUTH, is more so about the inspiration behind the book and its author. If you are unaware, Author Edna Robinson (1921–1990) is the mother of Betsy, editor of the book, as she shares a little of her mother’s stories—her mother’s 1957 novel; retyped and edited to an unknown world of digital readers. One Edna called “a fantasy.”

Betsy, the daughter no
Janet Schneider
Walter Briard is an eccentric single father raising 9 yr old Lucresse and 11 yr old Ben while selling antiques and paintings in ever-changing locales and circumstances which require creative, changeable explanations to neighbors in order for them to be accepted by society. Lucresse struggles to be accepted at a series of new schools and finds herself playing fast and loose with the truth in an effort to fit in better.

Walter is a widower whose household also includes Fred, who serves as a chauff
Bower Lewis
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Captivating and gorgeously written, The Trouble with the Truth recounts a motherless girl’s journey through the Great Depression as new homes and significant relationships shift in and out of her world with little or no warning, and she struggles to find her place while never staying in any one place for very long.

Nine-year-old Lucresse Briard is blessed with uncommonly comfortable means at a time when most have little, thanks to her widowed father’s roving business as an “ar
Donna Davis
Three and a half stars, rounded up. My thanks go to Betsy Robinson, the late author’s daughter, who invited me to preview an ARC and review it. It’s been a fun read.

Lucresse and her brother Ben have an unusual life. On the one hand, they aren’t starving, as many people around the world were during the Great Depression. But on the other hand, their circumstances require a constantly changing back-story in order for them to be accepted by polite society, which was much harsher and more judgmental
Fred
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-favs
Several other reviewers mention the backstory of this novel, which is truly interesting and well worth your looking up. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of 'peaking behind the curtain'? In this case, the peaking does help humanize the author (and editor, daughter, Betsy Robinson) beyond the dust jacket marketing that we readers normally get. Having peaked for myself, I feel as though I've "met" someone I can easily admire-- a strong, creative, loving person who diligently worked to balance her artistic a ...more
Michele
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, thank you Betsy for sending me one of your last available ARCs of this book! I enjoyed every minute I spent with this very delightful story.
The excellent writing added to the fun. I laughed out loud and read passages to my family on numerous occasions - sometimes because that particular portion of the story was amusing and often because the way it was written was amusing. I absolutely loved the characters - all of them!

"The Trouble with the Truth" reveals to us the life of Lucres
Eileenonline09
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some authors write stories that are so beautiful, ​I​ ​secretly hope them to be true. Others invent ​exotic ​worlds ​I​ wish​ I​ might live in. But Edna Robinson has ​done something much more intimate for me as a reader- she has ​created a family of characters​ I wish I could be a part of.

Although the events of the story are creative and entertaining, I was much more interested in how nine-year old Lucresse would perceive them, how her older brother Ben would dramatize them, or how her father w
Cricket Muse
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The usual spate of superlatives (charming, refreshingly unique, memorable) seem so bland and quite inadequate for this amazingly quirky little gem. While the story stands quite well on its own, thank you, the additional backstory of this being a book written by a dead author, someone who might have found success if Harper Lee hadn't beguiled the world with her own tale of a widower raising two precocious children.
As I read, and read, and nearly read TTWTT in one sitting, I kept on thinking I mi
Maura Weiler
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This lyrical, quirky book was such a pleasure to read. Robinson sets the scene so well and draws her eccentric characters so artfully that I felt like I was sitting in the midst of a 1930's screwball comedy, enjoying the banter as I reclined on a horsehair armchair and sipped my highball. Lucresse Briard may be blessed with wealth in a time of scarcity, but losing her mother at birth and being continually uprooted creates insecurities we can all relate to. The fact that this book is being publis ...more
Lauren Davis
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Made me laugh out loud a few times! Love it when a book can do that. Very believable characters I wanted to know.
Allison
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although the story being narrated by the main character is about her childhood in the late 20's and early 30's, she shares that her family wasn't affected by the Great Depression. Her father was a successful antiques/arts dealer, and her childhood was spent moving constantly. You'll find out in the first couple of pages that her mother died in childbirth. She has an older brother, and, maybe I missed it or I've forgotten, but got the impression they weren't full siblings. There were some things ...more
Kristine
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy from Atria Books via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

The Trouble with the Truth is most definitely a coming of age story. I find that there is a fine line with this type of story. Sometimes they can be beautiful but sometimes they run the risk of being quite dull. Unfortunately this one leans towards the dull and boring side. Although the writing was fine, the story a
Missy
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, recommend
There's a lot to like about this slim book. The characters are interesting and well-drawn; they have a timeless quality to them, which makes them feel very real to me. Although the story takes place in the 1930s and was initially started in the 1960s, The Trouble with the Truth doesn't feel dated. Lucresse Briard, who narrates her coming-of-age story from an older perspective, is my favorite type of character: a smart, spunky girl who doesn't quite fit in but keeps trying. Her family situation i ...more
Nancy Kekst
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, easy little read that is all at once fun and thought provoking. Told in a series of vignettes or short stories, the plot is far fetched but not. Edna Robinson and her daughter Betsy write with an easy, descriptive style. I started the book, put it down for awhile, and then resumed it and couldn't put it down. The end was unexpected and not, trite but truthful. The book makes you think about just exactly what the truth is. A nice respite.
Tantra Bensko
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful book, delightful all the way through. I felt I came to know this fictional family very well, and enjoy them all. The attitude and tone is positive and wholesome yet includes all the wildness that is life without shrinking from it.

I'm so glad it has come to the public eye, in such a polished form. I wish there were more books like this, which is one of my favorite and most memorable reads.
Melissa A Rosati
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
A charming novel with the chutzpah to challenge the reader with THE big question: How does personal courage define personal truth? Edna Robinson tells a brave, coming-of-age story about a girl searching for her sense of place. Without a mother to guide her, Lucresse invents and reinvents herself through the era of the Great Depression via Robinson's subtle wit and wild imagination.
Marissa
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun and unexpected story. It revolves around the main character Lucresse who moves around the country with her unique family. The characters are so well developed and there are funny parts, sad parts, and a lot in between. (I received this book from Goodreads First Reads. Thanks, Betsy!)
Dawn Baumann
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Truly a wonderful story! I couldn't read this one fast enough -- it's so well written, with memorable characters, keen conversation, and some great insights. Also very funny! I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Tracy
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author's daughter, Betsy, for the posthumous publication of this gem of a book and for getting it into so many readers hands!
I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the composition and readability of the prose. It was such an enjoyable book, I wish there a dozen more.
April
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book and was sad to see it end! It is very well written with complex characters that become so familiar to the reader that they feel like family. A great read!
Joey Gremillion
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
Superb!!!!
Deena
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really adored this book, and the history behind the writer and the story!
~ Harlee ~
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-stars
The Trouble with The Truth was neither good not bad. I struggled in the beginning to read this which is why it has taken me almost 3 months to read.

This book is about Walter Briard and his two children Lucresse and Ben. It is about there miscommings and growths in life and how they have grown up.

It's about coming to realise the truths and tribulations that have occurred throughout their lives, which have been difficult and met with hardships.

This book had great meaning behind telling the trut
Rachel
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The short story format worked well for this coming-of-age strange family fiction. I generally liked Lucresse and Mr. Briard, but less so Ben and his weird antics and manipulation of others.

I would be interested to know where Edna stopped and her daughter Betty began as far as the writing. Overall a quick 200 pages that I'm not upset by having inserted into my reading list.
Elizabeth Cherry
Loved this story

I haven't laughed out loud while reading a book in a very long time, but this book pulled that out of me. Read it when you have plenty of time to do so, you will be glad he did.
Brenda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a bad book but certainly not what I expected. A coming of age book set in 1930, written about the time of " To Kill a Mockingbird " paralleled as the same scale. I was anticipating to love this book , sadly it was only ok.
Mary Jo
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A book that was a nice break from what I have been usually reading. I enjoyed this "coming of age" book and I will be looking into more works by this author.
Sj
Feb 11, 2017 added it
ok
The Back Story 1 1 Apr 18, 2015 08:38AM
Facebook Book Page 1 2 Dec 19, 2014 04:14AM

• How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
  • When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • Virgil Wander
  • Plan Z by Leslie Kove
  • The Sound of the Mountain
  • Conversations with Mom: An Aging Baby Boomer, in Need of an Elder, Writes to Her Dead Mother
  • The Undocumented Mark Steyn
  • Who Stole Feminism? How Women Have Betrayed Women
  • The Last Will & Testament of Zelda McFigg
  • [Don't] Call Me Crazy
  • The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men
  • Blackout: How Black America Can Make Its Second Escape from the Democrat Plantation
  • The Practice: Dee and Bea's Quick & Easy Guide to Enlightenment
  • Black Is the Body: Stories from My Grandmother's Time, My Mother's Time, and Mine
  • Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500-1800
  • The Ninth Orphan (The Orphan Trilogy, #1)
Edna Robinson (1921–1990) wrote The Trouble with the Truth (Simon & Schuster/Infinite Words, Feb. 2015) and is represented on Goodreads by her editor/daughter Betsy Robinson. Edna lived all over the U.S. and attended twenty-seven schools before the eighth grade. Early on, she wrote for radio soaps and small-town newspapers’ “Society News.” After graduating from Northwestern University in 1943 ...more

News & Interviews

“People can only tell the truth as they see it.” 4 likes
“Success, as we categorize it, is a simple and pitiable thing. It's only a matter of degree of wanting, and accident. Wanting plays the major role in everybody's life--accident all the others. The only condition any of us can be sure of in this universe is wanting. How tepid or burning hot the want is depends on accident. But since accident isn't really as accidental as we'd like to think--accident is the great fooler and comforter of mankind--we become 'successful' exactly to the degree we want.” 1 likes