Start by marking “Superposition” as Want to Read:

(Superposition #1)

Jacob Kelley's family is turned upside down when an old friend turns up, waving a gun and babbling about an alien quantum intelligence. The mystery deepens when the friend is found dead in an underground bunker…apparently murdered the night before he appeared at Jacob's house. Jacob is arrested for the murder and put on trial.

As the details of the crime slowly come to li
Published April 7th 2015 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about Superposition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superposition

seak
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, 2015

For some reason I'm always impressed when something both entertains me and educates me. It's as if all those years of torture schooling gave me unreasonable expectations.

But that is the case here. David Walton's Superposition is a fun romp through quantum physics. Jacob Kelly is a brilliant physicist who is confronted by an old friend who pretty much destroys his life.

His old friend has some secrets, mostly involving his scientific research and he arrives at Jacob's house, uninvited, and points
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/11/25/r...

I admit, I have a love-hate relationship with hard sci-fi. To clarify, I am mostly talking about science fiction with heavy emphasis on science and technology. If an author can ease me gently into a story like this, it is certainly possible for me to become absorbed and enjoy myself. On the other hand, overwhelm me with techno-babble and science that I don’t understand, and you will see my eyes glazing over faster than a d
Bradley
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
This was an entertaining courtroom drama that happened to geek out all over the place with a coherent explanation of quantum mechanics AND a relevant hard SF extrapolation of the theories.

What is that in laymen terms?

Murder mystery meets many-worlds.

I'm sure those people who geek out over courtroom dramas will get a lot more out of this novel than me. I would have been perfectly peachy with an action-science thriller, and I'll be frank, this novel would have met a five star for me if it had been
Quike
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bi kitabın sonu anca bu kadar saçma olabilirdi. İlk defa bi kitap için üzülerek de olsa zaman kaybı diyorum.
Lindsay
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this one borders on a 5 star read for me, but it lacks substance. Cool science though and one of the better fictionalizations of a lesson in quantum theory I've seen.

The story follows a particle physicist turned teacher who gets dramatically drawn back into his prior profession by a colleague's bizarre behavior. The book follows the colleague's visit and subsequent murder in one storyline and the trial of the main character for the colleague's murder in another alternating storyline. I
Adam J E L
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superposition
4 Stars - Had me hooked in right away. Felt like I came away some interesting knowledge that the author integrates almost too well into the plotline. Definitely a book that can spark some interesting conversations, loved it!

Schrödinger's cat. If you haven't heard of this before, like me, then this book will be quite a mind bender that will have you asking 'could this be possible...?' all the time.

About a quarter way into the book I started to search up some of the terminology, just
Steve
2.5 stars, barely, rounded down to two.

The quantum physics part of the story was very interesting, but the characters were very flat to me, very two-dimensional, almost like they were thrown in to show specific characteristics about the main character. For example, the wife and family seemed to be there only the show how good a husband/father he is. The (dumb) buddy is there to show how smart he is.

Aside from the mind-bending theoretical physics, this was all very pedestrian, and very disappoint
Justine
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
This was a really enjoyable quantum physics murder mystery. The science was explained in a readable way as part of the story. The courtroom parts were mostly accurate, which is fine because if there hadn't been any dramatic license taken it would have been deadly dull instead of page turning. Overall, a fast paced and exciting read.
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have never read anything by this author. Now that I have read this book, I plan to keep this author on my radar. OMG! I feel hard for this book. My only flaw was that I started it late in the evening and so I had to put it down to get some sleep. Yet, you can bet that once I got up and carved myself out some time, I jumped right back into this book. It was not long before I was finished with it.

This book may be fiction but it could read as if it was nonfiction. I could totally imagine this re
Amanda
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Quantum physics courtroom murder mystery all in one. I really enjoyed this book even if some of the science went over my head. I listened to the audio and the narrator did a good job with the pacing and maintaining the tension. Looking forward to the sequel.
Jason
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4.5 Stars

Superposition by David Walton is a geeky physics based science fiction thriller that tickled my brain all the way down to my quarks, muons, toys, and neutrinos. Walton gets all the credit for making this novel work. It is not just for fans of hard science fiction or for people with a physics background. He tells this story to us in such a way that we are able to at least grasp upon the models portrayed. Walton uses the court case to further spell out the physics behind entanglement and
Banner
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
What would happen if the physics of the micro universe could be applied to the macro universe in which we live? It would be pretty weird as explained in this engaging story.

Einstein talked about the "spooky" aspect of quantum theory; things like, probability waves, particles being in two places at once, faster than light travel, all of these things seem possible on the subatomic level of reality but they are impossible in our universe...until now.

In the not so distant future, a scientist at the
Patrick
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superposition is a book that dances between genres masterfully, injecting science fiction into mystery and legal dramas in a truly unique read. Fans of speculative fiction will be very pleased. At the center of the story is the question of what would happen if the things that are possible in the quantum world were possible in the physical world we observe? How does this affect our notions of humanity and existence? The author explains the quantum physics that drive the story in clear and concise ...more
Jill
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am not a science fiction fan. At all. But I devoured this compelling blend of science fiction, personal drama, and murder mystery in just a few evenings. A fun and very visual read--I could see the movie in my head as I read it.
Yasemin
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3stars
yani mükemmel başlayıp ortalarına kadar soluksuz giden bir kitap, nasıl bu kadar kötü bir sonla bitirilebilirin örneğidir. bu ara fazla ineklediğim için daha bilimsel daha öğretici ama biraz da sürükleyici şeyler okumak istediğim için bu kitabı seçmiştim. ortalarına kadar mükemmel gitti hatta uzun zamandır bu kadar kitlenmemiştim bir kitaba. ne oldu ne olacak allah allah derken inceden gazım kaçmaya başladı. bence yazarın kafasında bir konu varmış bunu nasıl işleyeceğini de biliyormuş ama nereye ...more
Judy Abbott
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Güzel roman, sonunu öğrenmek için sabahlayıp bitirdim kitabı. Kuantum fiziğine hiçbir aşinalığım yok, neyse ki gerizekalıya anlatır gibi anlatmış ne olduğunu. Görünüşe göre aynı anda iki farklı yerde bulunabiliyoruz. Bunu çok güzel kullanmış ve akıcı bir paralel kurguyla su gibi giden bir kitap yazmış yazarımız.
Jason Pettus

The older and more experienced I get as a professional book reviewer, the more I'm realizing that there are in fact two radically different types of science-fiction novel out there, a genre which I've been faithfully (if not indiscriminately) reading since I was a kid; there are the science-fiction novels
proxyfish
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, sci-fi, crime
Reviewed on my blog - Books by Proxy

4 Stars

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review

After reading numerous excellent reviews for Superposition and hearing excellent things about David Walton’s writing, I snapped up the chance to read and review Superposition when it was presented. I love science fiction. I love crime thrillers. So I’m willing to bet that I sure as hell am going to love a combination of the two. And Superposition really didn’t disappoint. This is a
DJ
4/5 Rating Originally posted at https://mylifemybooksmyescape.wordpre...

If you don’t know what superposition is, you’re in for a treat!

*Disclaimer: I was provided with a review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion*

My first introduction to David Walton was Quintessence. I was extremely impressed with the ideas he presented in that story and I thought that the novel had a lot of promise... but the execution of those ideas was lacking and the story fell off to me. While I didn'
DunklesSchaf
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manchmal, ja, manchmal da komme ich mir dumm vor. Oder zumindest unwissend und uninformiert. Immer wenn ich Krimis lese, in denen sich die Handlung um politische oder geschichtliche Ereignisse dreht über die ich nichts oder fast nichts weiß, aber auch wenn über andere Länder oder Kulturen berichtet wird, die ich nicht kenne. Aber ich sehe das durchaus positiv – man kann schlicht und einfach nicht alles wissen und wie langweilige wäre es, wenn man schon alles wüsste? Ich lerne gerne aus Krimis. I ...more
Aimee
Original review posted at Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2015/...

You know how sometimes you take a chance on a book by an author you’ve never read before? That’s what I did with Superposition, and I couldn’t be happier! Walton delivers a spectacular genre mash up of science fiction, legal drama and murder mystery that will keep you thinking long after you’ve closed the book. (Edited to add: I read the book and wrote this review over two months ago and I’m still thinking a
Karin
Superposition is about Jacob Kelley, a theoretical physicist, who is accused of murdering his old friend Brian, also a theoretical physicist. Brian was doing research that is the quantum physics equivalent of picking up the big Latin tome with Cthulhu on the cover, so naturally things got scary and he reached out to Jacob who, being a rational man, said something along the lines of, "I don't care what the voices in your head told you about your magic powers, stop pointing that gun at my wife!" T ...more
Matt Hageman
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Superposition was an amazing science fiction thriller, courtroom drama, slight romance story, and so much more. I started the novel with a little hesitation, as it is a science fiction novel, and I usually read fantasy. I shouldn’t have hesitated. Superposition was an amazing read.

The novel contains two different story lines. The Up-Spin and the Down-Spin. Jacob Kelley, the protagonist, appears in both these story lines, but they are happening at the same time in different places. So how do
Thom
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Going to rate this book based on three factors, then summarize.

As Courtroom Murder Mystery, it felt like Snow Falling on Cedars. Suspense was well maintained, with facts dolloped out as needed. There was even some intrigue from the police department side.

As Primer on Quantum Mechanics, this book works well. In the guise of explaining to the lawyer, jurors, and other non-scientific types, some good analogies are used and Quantum Physics gets a good break down.

As Thriller, this short novel is exce
Brett
From the structure of the book, with chapters alternating points of view from one version of the protagonist to another, to the ultimate reason that evil (?) is unleashed upon the world, Superposition keeps you thinking and guessing what is coming next. Like any story, there comes a point where you are pretty sure you know what is going to ultimately happen; David Walton does a very good job of putting this point as near to the end of the book as possible.

A bit of violence, a lot of discussion
Louise
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Exciting storyline and great style of writing. Loved how quantum physics was incorporated into the book in layman terms. Couldn't wait to reconvene reading it each time I had a break. However, the ending was a bit too perfect and therefore unrealistic. But still definitely worth a read!
Kaisu
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eine gute runde Story, wo man auch mal sein Hirn anstrengen muss :)
Heather
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As advertised, quantum puzzler with a mystery, cleverly told in 2 time streams in alternating chapters. Moved right along but has some challenging concepts.
Patrick St-Denis
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I mentioned in my review of David Walton's latest novel, my copies of his quantum physics murder mysteries Superposition and Supersymmetry have been sitting on my "books to read" pile for a long, long time. I've always known that I'll get to them at some point, but there was always another novel/series that got in the way. But The Genius Plague was such a good read that I decided it was high time to read Walton's two science fiction technothrillers.

And Superposition turned out to be another m
Amber Voigtlander
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

Person review
Superposition is a science fiction book that I personally enjoyed. It had the action and a sad storyline that matched each other well, and it has the action that I liked in a book. One thing that was intriguing that it was based around one science topic that scientist are talking about now. Another reason I liked this book I could relate to some characters in it.

Plot
It was early in the morning when Brian came over to Jacob’s house in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals. Jacob let him in
  • The Flicker Men
  • The Affinities
  • Quantum Night
  • Corsair
  • Falling Sky (Ben Gold, #1)
  • The Big Sheep
  • Chasing the Phoenix (Darger and Surplus #2)
  • Inside a Silver Box
  • Children of Time (Children of Time #1)
  • Arkwright
  • Gemsigns (®Evolution, #1)
  • The Burning Dark (Spider Wars, #1)
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • The Culling
  • Yesterday's Kin
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Zero World
  • Willful Child
David is the internationally bestselling author of THE GENIUS PLAGUE, winner of the 2018 Campbell Award for Best Novel. He loves to read SF and lives near Philadelphia with his wife and seven children.

"Walton has brought hard sci-fi roaring back to life."
--The Wall Street Journal

David's next novel, THREE LAWS LETHAL, is about self-driving cars and the AIs that drive them. It will be published in

Superposition (2 books)
  • Supersymmetry (Superposition, #2)
“The truth is, everyone is confused by quantum physics.” 6 likes
“You are so hot,” I said.
“How hot?” she asked, toying with the hem of the shirt.
“Ionising radiation hot,” I said. “Neutral pion decay hot.”
Elena snorted. “You’re such a romantic,” she said.”
1 likes