Start by marking “Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems” as Want to Read:
Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Distributed systems have become more fine-grained in the past 10 years, shifting from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained microservices. But developing these systems brings its own set of headaches. With lots of examples and practical advice, this book takes a holistic view of the topics that system architects and administrators must consider when ...more
Published February 20th 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Building Microservices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Microservices

Andreas
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Microservices are a relatively new trend in computer science, coined around 2012. This conceptual book touches lots of aspects surrounding those little sisters of Service-oriented architectures (SOA): Starting from the basics, it covers topics like integration, splitting monoliths, deployment, testing, monitoring, security, system design and the role of architects, and scaling services.

The Good
Newman takes a holistic approach, analyzes the topic from lots of angles. It isn't a dry read but the a
Robson Castilho
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: software
Mixed feelings about this book. I had high expectations before starting reading it but after reading some chapters I've started feeling bored with so much shallow information about a lot of 'tooling stuff'.

The book is a big overview of a series of concepts and advices (and tooling!) you should care about in an environment of distributed systems such as integration, deployment, monitoring, security, scaling and the like. There's nothing practical in its content, which have disappointed me a lot (
Elena B.
A book that is more about ideas behind microservices and fine grained systems than technology specifics.

The key principles for microservice architectures:

- You want services that are loosely coupled and highly cohesive - so find boundaries that help ensure that related behaviour is in one place and that communicate with other boundaries as loosely as possible.
- Avoid database integration
- Understand the trade-offs of REST and RPC, but strongly consider REST as a good starting point for reque
Daniel
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
If you are new to micro services, or service-oriented architectures in general, this books provides a good overview of all the things you need to take into account, which trade-offs have to be made etc. That said, it can't serve as more than a starting point – every single chapter deserves a book of its own.
Brian
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Pragmatic Programmer of the microservices age. So many lessons learned the hard way are documented here. A quick and information packed read.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
If you're new to microservices, this book is a decent intro, covering most of the major topics you need to be aware of. It only covers the topics at a surface level (to be fair, it would've been a very long book if it went in-depth on each one), which is just enough to show you what questions you should be asking. Of course, you'll have to seek elsewhere to find those answers, but at least now you'll know what to look for.

However, the biggest weakness of the book is that it makes microservices s
Bragadeesh
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Microservices is still very young and this book does a fair job in covering all the aspects of the intricacies that involve in adopting to it. I was expecting something different before I picked this book, however, most of the concepts elicited here are some of the known concepts to me as an Architect. It still has a lot gold mines spread around the entire book. I would not say this is a must-read for a Software Architect, but the learnings of the book will definitely add value to your thinking ...more
Jose
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book does a good job exposing the ideas and good practices behind a migration to (micro)services. if you've been doing it for a while it's a good way to checklist what you've done. If you're jumping on the wagon it has a nice overview about the practices and the tools that are out there to help you. I feel that the chapter about Scaling gives a good summary of the whole book.
Alexander
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book is going to be useful for any engineer onboarding the world of microservices. It gives a broad and complete overview of all stages of the process: from design to deployment and testing.

On the other hand, from my perspective, for more experienced engineers already familiar with similar systems this book would rather look like a reiteration of all the difficulties and problems one might face while working with microservices. In many cases, the author agrees with the complexity o
Luís Soares
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
If you have to read just one book about microservices, choose this. Quick&easy to read but very complete; it summarizes related subjects (not only the technical ones). A book to read from beginning to end, but also one to consult. It mentions a lot of technologies, but never without the corresponding concept/topic so it'll hardly get outdated. In the end, you just feel confident to develop this way.
Regis Hattori
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book shows a lot of aspects to consider before using microservices.

It is hard to rate it because it is the first book I read about the topic. I really liked some parts, but I feel that the author did not put the same effort in other ones. There is not a consistent narrative among the topics. Some of them are focused on the concepts with detailed explanation. And some of them are more focused on tools.
Luiz Nunes Marques
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Good ideas and patterns for monolith split, too superficial on monitoring and a good start for developers who’s deciding if ms adoption is good. Some chapters can be read without following book order.
Rod Hilton
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been seeing lots of talk about Microservices, and it's something I have virtually no experience with. Since my coworkers have mentioned hearing lots of hubbub about Microservices, I decided to run a little book club for my team. So here is not only my review, but the reviews of my teammates, based on their feedback when discussing chapters every week.

I really enjoyed Building Microservices, I think it either already is, or soon will be, considered the bible of Microservice architecture. Whe
Wagner Renzi
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excelente livro de Sam Newman, que cobre todos os principais aspectos da arquitetura de microserviços, desde itens clássicos como bounded contexts e transações distribuídas até estratégia de como quebrar um sistema monolítico em microserviços. Todos os pontos abordados no livro são introdutórios, caso contrário o livro teria no mínimo 1000 páginas. Mas vale ressaltar que são introduções na medida certa, muitas vezes com referências externas para se aprofundar caso haja interesse. Valeu cada cent ...more
Kirill
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was somewhat skeptical about the book. Microservices are hype and seems that everyone nowadays has own advice on how to break the scary monolith. Still I found this book very good. Apart from the concrete "break the monolith" subject, it addresses many common architectural - and on my opinion - much more important questions - about good software design, art of decision making, coupling and cohesion, DDD and much more. Technical advices and sum up of different tooling are also quite useful.
Irina Lukyanenko
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Книга не является строгим руководством к действию, она, скорее, представляет собой набор эмпирически выведенных принципов, на основе которых могут строиться микросервисы.
В книге красной нитью проходит идея о том, что в построении микросервиса ключевым понятием является "ограниченный контекст". Автор убедителен, неоднократные ссылки на труд Эрика Эванса лично меня вдохновляют на прочтение "Domain Driven Design".
Christophe Addinquy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: software architects
Sam Newman's book tackles the challenge of sttling the reference text on microservices. First the architecture principles are hare, clearly stated and opiniated. Second it handles different aspect of the architecture such as tests, scaling or reaching here from legacy. The content is here and it's clearly and well written. Job done.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Líbene Fernandes
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
"The need to change our systems to deal with scale isn't a sign of failure. It is a sign of success."
Sunil rajashekar
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I work in a firm which firmly believes that MicroServices are the way to move forward.

I had vague idea of why things are structured / built in certain way, it helped me to assert my understanding. The book touches most of the concepts very well with practical use cases and scenarios. I was able to appreciate and understand the rational for making design choices at my firm. The book will help you enhance your overall thinking process and you would be in a better choice to make some decisions aro
Dmitry
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: код
Довольно легкая книга, дающая обзор нескольких тем, без особой глубины. Микросервисам посвящено примерно 10% текста, столько же - мнению автора о роли архитектора ПО. Впрочем, советы выглядят здравыми: избегать распределенных транзакций, сначала писать монолит, потом разбивать его не по техническим границам, а по контекстам/отделам организации. Конкретные рекомендации по распилу монолита и внедрению мониторинга, безусловно, лучшее в книге. В общем, хорошая книга даже для тех, кто микросервисами ...more
Anatoly Kaverin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book on the subject at the moment. A wide range of topics touched and lots of practices indeed work in real systems.
Дмитрий Виноград
A good summary describing not only microservices but also covers a lot of trends in development.
Luca
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
It felt more like a series of blog posts (sometimes, paragraphs seemed very disconnected from each other)
Jean Tessier
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
I worked with Sam a few years ago and I was curious to see what he'd been up to.

Microservices are all the rage, right now. At work, I've been struggling with a monolith of my own. We cannot upgrade the technology stack because the task is just too big. Had we had a microservice-based approach, we would have had small pieces that we could have upgraded one at a time over time.

The most important characteristic of microservices is to minimize coupling between them, so that the lifecycle of one is n
Adrian
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at a time when the term “Microservices” was being mentioned every now and then in our project team as some kind of a silver bullet that would (maybe, possibly) make all our problems and issues disappear...

The book gives you an overview of the concept of Microservices and nicely goes through multiple aspects that one would need to considered when deciding to go on this road, such us integration, deployment, testing, security, scaling, etc. It will not go into details explai
Daniel Aguilar
A superb introduction to software architecture, distributed systems, operations, resilience, scalability, and everything in between. It provides a very solid and extensive theoretic background to serve as the basis of current and future projects, discussing important principles that can and probably should be applied everywhere. It also provides many hypothetical as well as real-life examples in each chapter, and even though it is not at all the main goal of the book, it does indeed list some sp ...more
Graham
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This is without a doubt a really good book. I think it's a great size for a tech book. (I hate those weighty tomes most people seem to write.)

I guess, having done a lot of reading on the topic, and having worked developing microservies over the last couple of years, there was a lot of stuff in there that I'd learnt already. For someone only just becoming familiar with the topic, I imagine it would be more of a goldmine.

My only other criticism is that it's a bit of a degustation; there's lots of
Colin Jones
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really solid book that I'd recommend to anyone working either in an already-distributed system or a monolithic one that's starting to get unwieldy. There's plenty of discussion of the decisions, requirements, solutions, and tradeoffs, along with very reasonable recommendations for various situations.

I really only had one qualm, with the security section where the author recommends salted hashing for password storage instead of "Just Use Bcrypt" (http://codahale.com/how-to-safely-sto..
Greg
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Honestly I've much anticipated this book, which makes me even harder writing this review. It's not that the book is badly written, or consists of not important stuff. I think it's rather the fact that I was expecting a golden rule on how to do "microservices the right way". I think that what Sam wanted to say with that book, is that the're already best practices and tools available for us developers/devops which we can leverage. But there's so much different projects and bussineses, that we'll n ...more
Kamil
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book explores the topic of Microservices. If you are a novice in this new microservices world it will talk about what it is, how to model them, test, deploy, monitor, make secure. There is some information about the tools that might be useful which again can help a novice start. What is important this book shows that microservices can help you some problems that you can have with monolithic application but they will cost you. Sam Newman also discuss how to model them and how to split them f ...more

• REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Building Evolutionary Architectures: Support Constant Change
  • High Performance Browser Networking
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
  • Your Code As a Crime Scene: Use Forensic Techniques to Arrest Defects, Bottlenecks, and Bad Design in Your Programs
  • Clojure Programming
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks: When Threads Unravel
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“if bridge building were like programming, halfway through we’d find out that the far bank was now 50 meters farther out, that it was actually mud rather than granite, and that rather than building a footbridge we were instead building a road bridge.” 2 likes
“If you are working in an organization that places lots of restrictions on how developers can do their work, then microservices may not be for you.” 2 likes