Start by marking “Becoming a Better Programmer” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Better Programmer

Becoming a Better Programmer

If you're passionate about programming and want to get better at it, you've come to the right source. Code Craft author Pete Goodliffe presents a collection of useful techniques and approaches to the art and craft of programming that will help boost your career and your well-being.

Goodliffe presents sound advice that he's learned in 15 years of professional programming. Th
Published October 26th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Better Programmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Better Programmer

Elias
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The title seems pretty appropriate, this book tries to talk about every subject related to becoming a better programmer.

I felt the book was a bit too superficial and overly preachy. If I've bought a book that says "becoming a better programmer", it should assume that I'm self-motivated enough to want to improve as a programmer. But I felt that instead of helping me on that, it was just rehashing things I already knew and saying things that I wish my peers would know.

It seems the kind of book tha
Bruno Espudaro
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Os insights do livro, coisas que no dia-a-dia passamos despercebidos, fazem o livro ganhar 5 estrelas. Ele me ajudou a construir palestras e ajudar outros desenvolvedores. Obrigado lsdr!
Anton Antonov
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
This book is all about the philosophical part of software development. It's a little bit of everything we read through the years, generalized in one book.

It's not a bad book, but it doesn't offer anything new to the table. If it's your first non-technical Software Development book, then you'll learn a bit of everything, but it's definitely not enough to replace the older books as `The Pragmatic Programmer`, `Code Complete` or `Clean Code`.
Ravi Sinha
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the colorful language used in the book. 'Nefarious', 'nectrotic', 'different tribes of C++ programmers', 'recognizable cadences', 'spit and polish', 'bake the tests into the compile/build/run process', 'listen to your test suite', 'code hooligans', 'the careless stitches between the code components beginning to tear', 'codesmith' are just a few. It's a joy to read for the language used alone, and the tips (even though if you're a mid-level programmer you've probably seen all the advice bef ...more
kurp
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Najbardziej intrygujący w tej książce jest spis treści. Niestety, autor nie doskoczył do postawionej sobie poprzeczki. Książka przeładowana banałami, pozbawiona praktycznych przykładów, bardzo szeroka tematycznie, a przez to płytka. Chociaż jest tu nieco interesujących rad i myśli, nie oferuje żadnej sensownej metody wdrażania zmian, przez co pozostanie zbiorem wysoko abstrakcyjnych rad o zerowym przełożeniu na praktykę.
Daniel
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty much what the titles says, including advice both about the technical as well as the human and social aspects of becoming a better programmer. Some of this is pretty obvious, some if it is too superficial to be helpful (especially the more technical advice), but I do think there is quite a bit in here that can help juniors or help you with mentoring juniors.
Iwan Cwetanow
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book offers nothing new to someone with a little experience as a programmer. I think it is best suited for beginners because it shows some of the basic best practices.
Altough I think if I have read it when I was starting my journey, this book would be a very good one.
Heather Gray
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book informative and entertaining. I read this while getting my programming degree and it helped me to do better on my assignments and gave tips that I'll carry into my future.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A mixed bag.

The first part of this book focuses on coding advice, but it's not particularly concrete or actionable. The examples that are present are very C specific and I could only see it being useful for beginners. For example, it's full of sentences along the lines of "make sure to handle errors," "make sure you know how to use concurrency constructs," and "always employ sound engineering techniques that minimize the likelihood of unpleasant surprises." These are all correct, but a bit obvio
Rod Hilton
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
A lot of authors seem think they can gather together what is essentially a ton of short blog posts and compile them into a book that will become as noteworthy and reference-able as The Pragmatic Programmer. Maybe The Pragmatic Programmer is also really just a collection of simple blog posts, and the only reason I liked it so much and disliked this book was because I read them at different points in my career. When I read Pragmatic, I needed to read it, and it was very influential for me, and whe ...more
Jascha
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
This book is definitely fun and insightful at the same time, which makes up a devastating combo if you are that kind of developer that does care about what he delivers, that kind of professional that gets to work before everyone else because it’s not just about the money, it’s because I love what I do, that kind of guy that enjoys staying up until 5 am with his favorite text editor opened and a cup of warm coffee next to him.

I’ve enjoyed these 360 pages. I have enjoyed them so much that I’m sitt
J-elizabeth
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picked this up at the Library, thoroughly enjoyable read. This was chalk full of the "best practices" knowledge I was looking for. It's funny and accessible to anybody who makes a job or hobby of programming. Goodliffe has something funny and something smart to say about the "full stack" of programming aspects, from tabs v. spaces in your source code, to good testing and re-factoring, on up to the squishiest of soft skills.

Being completely platform- and technology-generic may have been it's det
Onionboy
The first section was great, I got a lot out of it. The other sections were good, but I didn't enjoy them as much. Overall the book felt too long, but I can't pick any topic that should have been left out.

Chapter 30, "Posturing Programmers" was very annoying. The author even admitted he was being flippant with that chapter. His tone with it was completely out of place with the tone of the rest of the book. He really needs to throw that chapter away and rewrite it seriously so it fits with the r
Thien Nguyen
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Practical and pragmatic advice that a every developer/programmer/engineer should know and take to heart. Written in a light-hearted manner that is enjoyable to read. Overall nothing in here is mind-blowing or not already said online, but it does provide a one-stop-shop, if you will, of good advice.

I liked the book and would give someone I was mentoring the same advice and I believe any programmer on a quality team will be given the same information. If you are a newer to software development or
Cliff Chew
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For someone with no CS background, this book provides an excellent summary of the key points that programmers should take note. If you need to work with programmers, or is a programmer that is trying to further build up your competencies, seriously consider reading this book!

My only issue with this book is that the author tends to repeat himself through various parts of the book, although this may help reinforce some of the important pointers for some.
Carmen Grantham
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. It was such an enjoyable read, with a bit of humour too which is unusual for regular IT related books.

Lots of useful and practical information that I can implement as a programmer. I have never worked in large teams and I gained an insight into what that would be like and how to manage it.

One that I'll definitely be reading again and recommending to other programmers.
Rwik
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read for lethargic coders (including myself). It pin points to small compromises we do on a regular basis , which ultimately backfires and results heavy losses. I love the intuitive and generic code examples . Examples are well placed within texts. This one is absolutely unputdownable . Those comical reliefs deserves special mention.
Matt
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this a thoughtful and humorous read. The book covers many topics that are worth reflecting on as a programmer. I look forward to coming back to this book in the coming months to see how I've changed since last reading it.
Matthew Bradley
The book could be at most half the size without losing quality. The pace is a little slow at times and the content tends to get repetitive, but it's not bad and could be good for someone new to the field.
Steve Clark
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this as a free download for subscribing to the O'Reilly mailing list. I found myself nodding a lot as a I read it. He reflects a lot of my opinions about professional development. Recommended to anyone in IT
bobiko
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Świetne rady - podstawowa książka dla programistów
Jeremy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Verbose and general with its advice.

... and the cartoons aren't funny.
Tom Kerkhove
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Not what I expected but still worth reading, learned some things about being a (hopefully) better dev.
Ahmed Chicktay
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
An excellent book for beginner software developers...
Chris Zeh
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book overall for newer programmers, still a lot of good gems for the more experienced. Recommending this book to all of my new hires.
Kyle
Apr 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • The Docker Book: Containerization is the new virtualization
  • Programmers at Work: Interviews With 19 Programmers Who Shaped the Computer Industry (Tempus)
  • Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
  • Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman
  • Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual
  • Clojure for the Brave and True
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Your Code As a Crime Scene: Use Forensic Techniques to Arrest Defects, Bottlenecks, and Bad Design in Your Programs

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »