Start by marking “Spooning” as Want to Read:
Spooning

Spooning

3.03  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Meet Charlotte—a.k.a. Charlie—Brown: a recent college grad and newly minted New Yorker, eager to begin her grown-up life. All kinds of “firsts” await her in the big city: her first real job, first loves, first heartaches, and most important, her first time living on her own. Enter Charlie’s mom, who subtly suggests that her daughter might want to learn some grown-up skills ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Spooning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spooning

Jenny
Sep 02, 2007 rated it did not like it
I agree with the general consensus on this book. It was absolutely horrible. (I hate to even admit that I read this.)

I, too, was looking forward to some cute Chick Lit. with recipes thrown in for good measure. Instead I got a bunch of name-dropping, shallow characters who can hardly speak. The author had the nerve to talk about mullets and Robert Frost on the same page, as if one could possibly compare to the other.

One of the Divas even managed to say, "We have to have some skill in the kitchen
Toni N
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Katherine
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Donna
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
I saw this in a bookstore and read the description on the back of the book and thought it sounded pretty good so I bought it. Seeing that it was compared to "Like Water for Chocolate" is what really made me want to read it. The only similarity it has to "Like Water for Chocolate" is that it includes recipes. "Like Water for Chocolate" is a great example of magic realism. This book is pure and utter chick lit that is actually somewhat shallow.

I very rarely give up on books, but I almost did on t
Wallace
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
This cute, chick-lit book was written by two friends, Darri Stephens and Megan DeSales. Stephens used to work for Martha Stewart (aka Jane Dough), so some of the inside info is interesting knowing who Charlie's bosses character (and drama) is based on. One gets the feeling that these ladies probably lived much of this story, and it is also one that you (at 22) might have lived, and have fun reminiscing about. To boot, there are some really yummy recipes at the beginning of each chapter... I made ...more
Melissa
Feb 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2009
With all the name dropping in this book I felt like the authors were getting paid by all these companies, it got a little better towards the end but it was still annoying. The story itself was pretty boring & pointless, really a waste of my time.
Kshydog
Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Maybe a good read for someone in their 20s for just free living fun life in NYC. Too much drinking, guy looks good so must be great, into themselves and jump into bed attitude for me. Funny how Charlie makes fun of her mother's ideas yet that is what saves her and her roommates.
Traci Degan
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was fun, easy to read chick-lit. The characters, just out of college and trying to make a go of living in New York City, start a cooking club. Creatively, each chapter begins with a recipe. Our bookclub had fun trying several out at our monthly meeting.
V
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Well, this was an okay chick-lit. Somehow the characters nor the story were really very interesting - this could have been a story about anyone's life, with no added hilarity or intrigue. The recipes were not even really worth trying.
Rachal T
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a different girly book, but worth exploring. I could relate to what Charlotte was going through at times. There is a lot of celebrity names mentioned, which didn't fit the theme but was ok. I copied the recipes and decided to make a few.
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Another chick lit book compliments of my cousin.....the ideas is cute friends living in New York after college but all the references to J-Lo put me over. It was like every third paragraph. I love some Jenny from the block but you can't write a book around it.
Marlene
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, cookbooks
Well, I only bought it because of the "better-than-ben-affleck-dessert" that was mentioned on the back. The recipes at the beginning of each chapter are really nice, but the story is not overwhelming. Nice read for a day at the beach though!
Manda
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with the main character. I rooted for her, was sad for her, became frustrated at some of her choices. Great story with the classic happy ending.
Alayne Johnson
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
a light-hearted read, and I even got some good recipes from the book! Use pineapple rum for the mojitos ;-)
Amy
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
A good summer/winter read when you have nothing better to do - nothing wild or crazy to brag about - just a cute read...
Kelley
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you are a massive Sex and the City fan, maybe this will grab you. Too little substance, too little common sense for my taste.
Amy Tepfer
Great silly read, however did not like the ending. Wish it gave you something more.
Renée Milani walsh
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
It was alright. Not my favorite chic lit book.
Carolyn
May 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
I, apparently, was not a fan. The premise was promising, 5 girls move to NY after college. But it was all downhill from there. This book never would have happened in a million years.
kathleen
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nyc, chick-lit, library
The best chick lit I have read in a really long time!
Ashly Nagrant
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Meh. Kinda cute, but the plot was...well, granted, I'm not familiar with the chick lit genre, but this seemed ridiculously shallow. Some cute recipes, but otherwise: pass.
Makeda
  • Eating Heaven
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Cooking for Mr. Right
  • You Could Do Better
  • The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost)
  • Sugar and Spice
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • More to Life Than This
  • By Bread Alone
  • Little Pink Slips
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Hex and the Single Girl