Start by marking “jQuery in Action” as Want to Read:
jQuery in Action

jQuery in Action

A good web development framework anticipates what you need to do and makes those tasks easier and more efficient; jQuery practically reads your mind. Developers of every stripe-hobbyists and professionals alike-fall in love with jQuery the minute they've reduced 20 lines of clunky JavaScript into three lines of elegant, readable code. This new, concise JavaScript library r ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Manning Publications

To ask other readers questions about jQuery in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about jQuery in Action

Jon
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
While I like a certain familiarity of tone in tutorial/reference books, the authors were a little too informal, and it got old reading sentence after sentence of just how great jQuery is. Also, the examples are contrived, without any apparent attempt at a real-world example. This book taught me what each jQuery command does, but I don't feel I learned anything about what jQuery can do for me.

Still, this is the book everyone seems to recommend, so I fear I would be even less satisfied by the othe
Michael Economy
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: work-related
This book is useless, it's the jquery docs with a bunch of useless jibber jabber.

If you're considering reading this book don't, just read the jquery docs (which have been kept up to date since this book was published).
Widi
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good for javasript framework reference, but less practice example..
Robert Muller
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jQuery in Action is a great user's guide for jQuery and jQuery UI. It explains things in detail, provides full reference material for the options and parameters, and covers the ground. What it does not do is provide explanatory code examples and tutorials. The "labs" are fine as far as they go, but they're not a substitute for actual coding as learning. I think this book would be best for people who have already learned the basics of jQuery (and thoroughly understand HTML and CSS and Javascript ...more
Dejan
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: javascript
An excellent guide to practical JQuery. The book lacks on JQuery internals (thus - in Action), so best read with JQuery sources open :)

Especially interesting chapters are: 6.3 Manipulating JavaScript objects and collections (if you learned about JQuery from tutorials, you probably don't know this stuff) and 4.1 Understanding the browser event models (won't give you much practical insight, but an interesting read).

Dan Stewart
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read a little, code a little. That was my experience. I caught myself saying, "Wow, I want to try that" on almost every page. This was a great book to learn jQuery. Even though while I'm writing this review, jQuery has come out with a new version, the book's content is still relevant.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
“jQuery in Action” (second edition) was a great book. It kept almost everything I liked in the first edition while adding new stuff I liked and updating the content for the latest version of jQuery.

Cool stuff that's new in the second edition:
1)More exercises than the first edition to try in the labs
2)The second half of the book on jQuery UI
3)This is the first print book I saw with references to HTML 5
4)Mine came with a paper giving free access to the first and second edition PDF – not sure if t
Ahmed Moniem
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I have just finished a Manning Book titled “jQuery in Action”. I am here just to share my opinion with you about this book.

Really, it gives me a good starting point in jQuery commands and utility functions. Also, it demonstrated many practical examples to test the core API of jQuery. So, I think it is a good start for beginners who need to know what is the jQuery?!

Also, it gives me a very high level of the plugin capability in jQuery and introduced me with some famous plugins like forms plugin,
Taylor
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any JavaScript programmer
Shelves: programming
If you do any JavaScript programming, you should really check out jQuery. And if you are going to seriously use jQuery, this book is invaluable. (If you do neither, move along, nothing to see here...)

The documentation for jQuery, while rather good for an open source project, tends to be a bit scattered and some things can be hard to find. Also, trying to use some advanced idioms from the online documentation can be hard to figure out. Lastly, some of the reasons why jQuery was put together the w
Syed
Mar 14, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I would like to add to the review as I progress in my reading. I want to try chapter by chapter review.

Part 1 has only chapter "Starting with jQuery". This covers the features of jQuery from high level and what are the current best practices and the features that are deprecated. It has been written crisply and covers what it takes to move forward. Also discusses about different versions and their support in various browsers.

Part 2 covers the core library in its entirety.
This starts with chapter
Daniel Dent
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Read 3rd Edition MEAP so there were fair amount of typos and some funkiness in examples. The book was quite a chore to get through as many parts read like a reference guide. There was enough there to keep me coming back. I would recommend the book to someone new to jQuery and I'd strongly recommend reading appendix first. I came to this book fresh off Bear Bibeault's Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja and having extensive experience with JavaScript mostly using core and Prototype. I'm looking forwa ...more
Jean Tessier
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
At work, we use jQuery for client-side logic. Since we don't have a front-end engineer yet, I need to be able to maintain and extend this code. I like the other "... in Action" books and this one has good ratings on Amazon. Plus, I get the PDF of it so I can search through it for specific keywords.

Right off the bat, the introduction to jQuery really helped me make sense of the notation and some of the weird incantations. It also mentioned some DOM navigation methods that I will be able to apply
Johan
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
I have been using Javascript for some time, and I have realized long time ago how much jQuery can make the code much more effective. I should have read this book a long time ago, its a very good book for anyone who have been copy-pasting jQuery code from Internet and instead want to have the rules in the head. A Big Recommend. For those who already are quite fluent in jQuery I am not so sure though that this should be the pick.
Kevin
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Good coverage of jQuery in general; the first few chapters give you a solid framework of understanding from which to move through the rest of the library.

The second half of the book is really just a duplication of the jQuery docs, though, and not as necessary.

You won't find any tips or tricks with using jQuery with your server-side technology of choice, however.
Kyle
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book and (from what I've heard) the defining read for those looking to become familiar with jQuery. Filled with great notation, and well written examples, this book served it's purpose. The last quarter of the book contained details on jQuery UI which I skipped.
Chris
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, but ended just when it was getting good! I understand why - there's probably a whole separate book for the UI widgets. Good for beginners but intermediates will want to skim and move on to the widgets.
P.G. Sundling
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
JQuery in Action has hands on exercises to teach the framework. There's a more recent version, but this is the one I first learned on.

The jQuery online documentation is good enough you can rely on it instead of the book for the most part. Still, it's a good introduction.
Ross
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I have no background of jQuery although I do cookie cutter here and there. Reading this made me up to speed on our environment we are working on. All I need is basics and I can go from there.

Easy to understand with good online sample.
Glenn Burnside
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be the starting point for anyone learning jquery. Thorough and insightful walkthrough of every aspect of the jQuery core, plus jQuery UI, all with a focus on how to use it well. The labs give you plenty of room to experiment and learn by applying what's reviewed in the chapters.
Kumanan Murugesan
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book. It has some nice exercise chapters that can be downloaded separately. You have to practice it in parallel while you are reading the chapters. I'll recommend this book to my friends.
Jeroen
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Good overview of jquery. While I already use jquery more than a year, I still learned stuff from it and I'm ready to write my own extensions.
Oluwasogo
its actually a good book to read for jquery
Eric Hogue
Good introduction on JQuery. It's full of labs that allows the readers to test what he learns in the book.
Rabea
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I guess it was a little bit early to make a book , or may be it is just my opinion
Mark Shropshire
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. A little on the theory side where I might want more real world examples though.
Prometheus
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Este libro es estupendo, te da una visión clara de como utilizar jQuery, como crear librerias, etc, recomiendo su lectura.
pwujczyk
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This is just textbook about jQuery. You read it, you finish it and if you were careful You know jQuery. Nothing special, nothing bad. If you want to learn jQuery this book is for You.
Brad Dickason
Great in-depth analysis of JQuery. Definitely not for beginners. I found myself googling most of this stuff rather than referencing the book after the fact though :(
Larry
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Good intro to jQuery.
Dhaval Nagar
Jun 11, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
jQuery is stunning and this book proves it correctly. Describes all the important aspects really well.
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »