Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash

(Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) #7)

The hammer has come down on him but outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem has managed to stay one step ahead of his detractors - I.e. the President of the United States and his authoritarian lackeys in publishing and law enforcement.
After losing his byline, bank account, and apartment, Jerusalem and his Filthy Assistants have legged it underground, the better to implement his
Published November 1st 2002 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7

Start your review of Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash
Sesana
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Spider as underground journalist makes even more sense than his turn as toast of the town celebrity journalist. Best of all, he hasn't forgotten things other than his vendetta against Callahan. This, I think, is the really interesting thing about Spider: he's so furiously angry because he actually does care, hard as that can be to see sometimes. And the stories that show that side of him are some of the best in the series. Not much forward momentum, when I think about it, but I don't think there ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, Transmetropolitan reeks of truth and I am quite in awe that what Ellis "revealed" more than a decade ago still applies nowadays, well in fact, nothing has really ever changed. The city is ugly, the poor being oppressed and the governement doesn't care.

But from a narrative point of view, Transmetropolitan has dragged me for quite some time. Save for some action scenes, hasn't there been anything new, something that wasn't established in the previous volumes?

Spider and his filt
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

On the one hand this volume is ...well maybe not necessarily an 'enjoyable' read all the time because it deals with a lot of serious and depressing subject matter, but it does at least keep my attention fairly well. Unfortunately not a lot actually HAPPENS here and we seem to just be kind of aimlessly drifting around while Ellis repeats a bunch of shit we already know. This series has always been a pretty transparent power fantasy, but at this point it seems downright masturbat
Patrick
So glad to be reading these again! Freaking hilarious!
Sam Quixote
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
President Callahan's psychotic hounding of Spider Jerusalem continues with the murders of all witnesses who witnessed Callahan's misdemeanours while on the campaign trail. Except this time the murderers stop by to pay Spider a visit too. Spider also finds out there's something wrong with him, and it's not any of the things his filthy assistants would attest to. Confronting his mortality, he sets out anew, posting his "I Hate It Here" columns via rogue site "The Hole".

There's also a serious strip
André
The enthralling battle between Spider Jerusalem and the psychotic smiling president goes on in amusing levels.
Deprived of all the best amenities and comforts, Spider Jerusalem and his filthy assistants are jobless. The classic antihero finds his own way to spread his truth through "The Hole", an indie news channel. Spider and his filthy assistants will gather information from witnesses of the streets.
This volume brings another level of humour. The social satire is once again remarkable, Warren
Rin
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It gets more and more accurate the more I read, which is terrifying. Still crude, still great!
Sam Quixote
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There's also a serious strip
J.M. Hushour
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Something's not right. I can feel it in my left testicle." So speaketh rogue journalist and truth-terrorist Spider Jerusalem. Banished from the mainstream media for his lacerating attacks on the President, Spider goes full-on underground to take down the White House. This volume breaks down into three interconnected story arcs: Spider's investigation of child prostitution, the mishandling of the treatment of the mentally ill and the general hell that the City has fallen into. These all tie toge ...more
Benoit Lelièvre
This series is freakin' frustrating sometimes. It's been established like, two issues ago, that Spider would wage war to president Callahan and all there was to issue 7 is how Spider saying over and over again how he's going to take down president Callahan. It offered very little in terms of development and even less in terms of Spider's superpower: writing. There is a great opportunity lost in SPIDER'S TRASH as he discusses the lazy and corrupted mental health support system and yet doesn't eve ...more
kaelan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Spider's Thrash doesn't depart much from the established Transmet formula: gruesome violence, corrupt authorities, lengthy wanderings through decrepit streets, with Spider Jerusalem waxing poetic about the decline of the city and the simultaneous futility and necessity of human hope...

But the present volume also finds, for the very first time, Spider's mortality coming to the fore. I'm interested to see where Warren Ellis and company go with this.
Joshua
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said it in previous reviews but this series just gets better and better. This book I think has more and more short story like chapters, but despite this you can see Warren Ellis building towards a climax that is gonna leave the reader spellbound.
Cale
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking away Spider Jerusalem's print outlet just means he has nothing left to lose, and everything to gain. Here is where Ellis starts really going for the gut-punches, with the first few issues devoted to Jerusalem finding a new outlet, which is pretty par for the series. But he follows it up with a couple of absolutely brutal issues covering child prostitution, mental illness, and gentrification, and there are no punches pulled - even putting the events in a fictional city doesn't do much to d ...more
Doc.
Darick Robertson, I heart you. Review to come.

My reviews of the Transmetropolitan series:
1. ‘Back on the Street’
2. ‘Lust for Life’
3. ‘Year of the Bastard’
4. ‘The New Scum’
5. ‘Lonely City’
6. ‘Gouge Away’
Wade Alexander
Spider is on the run, and free to say whatever he wants. He feels free but his frail human body is catching up with him. Great volume setting up the next sets.
Johan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Spider and his filthy assistants are still hiding from The Smiler, the police and their assassins. He has found a new news outlet willing to publish his pieces after being fired by The Word in the previous volume. Not one of the best volumes. It is satire, but what makes it remarkable is that this volume was published in 2010, the individual issues were published 10 years before that and the satire still feels fresh when applied to the current political situation.
Otherwyrld
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This volume feels like someone is thrashing about looking for a hook to hang a story on, and I can't tell if that someone is the protagonist or the author. There are a lot of good pieces here, but it all feels a bit disjointed when read as a whole. There's also a sense of a lack of movement in the underlying plot.

For all that, there were parts of this story that were really good, and at least there are a few hints about where it will go next. The fact that this direction may turn out to be "dow
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This story gets more and more complicated, weirder and weirder, better and better.

This installment is especially full of cutting commentary about current fucked up aspects of contemporary society, thinly disguised as commentary on a distant future distopia.
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Oh, the drama surfaces. I am beginning to feel this series should be required reading in sociology classes. Except I'm not sure I'd expose college students to this level of profanity and violence... oh who am I kidding.

Spider, Spider, how do I love thee. Don't be a martyr to the Smiler!
Dan
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For those who don't know this series it's basically Hunter S Thompson in the future. Spider Jerusalem is a ranting hack who will stop at nothing to get a story and bring down those he hates - which is everybody. Writer Warren Ellis is a literary god in my book...albeit a god with a sick mind.
Will Boncher
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better.
BellaGBear
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This series is getting better again :D And sadder :/. I think this series will be finished way to quick for my liking from now on.
Friz Allen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
more of a set up for what's to come. a solid explanation of Spider's latest caper and a great cliffhanger as the last page.
The Library Ladies
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

Back in 2016, in the wake of the devastation of the Presidential election I decided to start a re-read of “Transmetropolitan”, the dystopian cyberpunk comic about corruption in Government and society and the tenacious and bonkers reporter who wants to take it all down. Then I let it fall to the wayside for reasons I can’t really figure out, outside of having so much to read and so little time. But now it’s 2020, our Government keeps pulling awful
Zec
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Like most Comics, TV Shows and God-forsaken Movie Sequels, Transmetropolitan has been treading familiar ground for quite a while now. But, Warren Ellis is still able to keep things fresh and twisted enough to be as entertaining, infuriating and depressing as always. The child prostitution standalone story was heartbreaking and peak Transmetropolitan. Plot-wise, this volume is a little slow, but it does raise the stakes and we do see an even more unhinged and damaged Spider Jerusalem. There is a ...more
S.R. Hughes
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Oomph. As hard-hitting as ever.

This issue, Spider Jerusalem tackles personal demons, abuse of public office, child prostitution, mental illness, and, as always, the deep, monumental indifference of the gray-faced masses. A cynical, dour, and tender examination of modern society, through the scathing lens of an angry but ultimately small journalist.

In this episode, we learn that fame does not make one powerful, and that showing people the truth does not make them accept it!

As harrowing and off-pu
Martha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
While somewhat advancing Spider's plotline, the heart of this volume are several chapters entirely focused on social issues - child abuse, closing of mental hospitals, decline and demolition of neighborhoods - that while placed in a science fiction setting are all far too real hear and now. On re-read it's striking me more and more that the Smiler is partly inspired by Reagan, though certainly there are half a dozen other fake-charming, really-awful politicians that are mixed in there as well.

An
C. Varn
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellis really gets momentum here and the comic seems to have actual stakes, although the violence also seems to apt up. The farce and satire now seem contained by the Ellis's narrative momentum, and this helps focus the book even more clearly. Spider looks into child prostitution and increasingly homeless problem while being essentially on the run, and thus the social commentary gets profoundly dark even for Warren Ellis.
Lydia
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spider's gone free-range, and it suits him just fine. Now writing for a rogue newspaper unconcerned with the judge's gavel, Spider is free to continue his tenacious mission to reveal the truth. Actually, "tenacious" is a bit of an understatement in Spider's case.

If only we were all so purely motivated.

This volume is certainly energetic, but has an transitional feel to it. I'm expecting something great from the last few volumes. The last few! Oh no.
Abigail Pankau
Spider and his assistants have gone off the radar, now that mainstream publications will not hire him. So while they formulate their plan for bringing down the President, Spider makes a deal to publish on The Hole, an independent feedsite. Spider digs into the histories of the poor and those living on the streets, of those who have been abandoned by the government. Still weird, and gritty dark dystopia, but I feel this volume was disorganized, had no focus, and was a little too weird.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • Lucifer, Vol. 2: Children and Monsters
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
  • Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
  • The Sandman Companion
  • The Books of Magic
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Ancient History
  • The Absolute Sandman, Volume Four
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • Hellblazer: Rake at the Gates of Hell
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 5: Counting to None
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T

Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street