Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash

(Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) #7)

The hammer has come down on him but outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem has managed to stay one step ahead of his detractors - I.e. the President of the United States and his authoritarian lackeys in publishing and law enforcement.
After losing his byline, bank account, and apartment, Jerusalem and his Filthy Assistants have legged it underground, the better to implement his
Published November 1st 2002 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7

Sesana
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Spider as underground journalist makes even more sense than his turn as toast of the town celebrity journalist. Best of all, he hasn't forgotten things other than his vendetta against Callahan. This, I think, is the really interesting thing about Spider: he's so furiously angry because he actually does care, hard as that can be to see sometimes. And the stories that show that side of him are some of the best in the series. Not much forward momentum, when I think about it, but I don't think there ...more
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

On the one hand this volume is ...well maybe not necessarily an 'enjoyable' read all the time because it deals with a lot of serious and depressing subject matter, but it does at least keep my attention fairly well. Unfortunately not a lot actually HAPPENS here and we seem to just be kind of aimlessly drifting around while Ellis repeats a bunch of shit we already know. This series has always been a pretty transparent power fantasy, but at this point it seems downright masturbat
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, Transmetropolitan reeks of truth and I am quite in awe that what Ellis "revealed" more than a decade ago still applies nowadays, well in fact, nothing has really ever changed. The city is ugly, the poor being oppressed and the governement doesn't care.

But from a narrative point of view, Transmetropolitan has dragged me for quite some time. Save for some action scenes, hasn't there been anything new, something that wasn't established in the previous volumes?

Spider and his filt
Sam Quixote
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
President Callahan's psychotic hounding of Spider Jerusalem continues with the murders of all witnesses who witnessed Callahan's misdemeanours while on the campaign trail. Except this time the murderers stop by to pay Spider a visit too. Spider also finds out there's something wrong with him, and it's not any of the things his filthy assistants would attest to. Confronting his mortality, he sets out anew, posting his "I Hate It Here" columns via rogue site "The Hole".

There's also a serious strip
J.M. Hushour
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Something's not right. I can feel it in my left testicle." So speaketh rogue journalist and truth-terrorist Spider Jerusalem. Banished from the mainstream media for his lacerating attacks on the President, Spider goes full-on underground to take down the White House. This volume breaks down into three interconnected story arcs: Spider's investigation of child prostitution, the mishandling of the treatment of the mentally ill and the general hell that the City has fallen into. These all tie toge ...more
Doc.
Darick Robertson, I heart you. Review to come.

My reviews of the Transmetropolitan series:
1. ‘Back on the Street’
6. ‘Gouge Away’
kaelan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Spider's Thrash doesn't depart much from the established Transmet formula: gruesome violence, corrupt authorities, lengthy wanderings through decrepit streets, with Spider Jerusalem waxing poetic about the decline of the city and the simultaneous futility and necessity of human hope...

But the present volume also finds, for the very first time, Spider's mortality coming to the fore. I'm interested to see where Warren Ellis and company go with this.
Joshua
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said it in previous reviews but this series just gets better and better. This book I think has more and more short story like chapters, but despite this you can see Warren Ellis building towards a climax that is gonna leave the reader spellbound.
Sam Quixote
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There's also a serious strip
Benoit Lelièvre
This series is freakin' frustrating sometimes. It's been established like, two issues ago, that Spider would wage war to president Callahan and all there was to issue 7 is how Spider saying over and over again how he's going to take down president Callahan. It offered very little in terms of development and even less in terms of Spider's superpower: writing. There is a great opportunity lost in SPIDER'S TRASH as he discusses the lazy and corrupted mental health support system and yet doesn't eve ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This story gets more and more complicated, weirder and weirder, better and better.

This installment is especially full of cutting commentary about current fucked up aspects of contemporary society, thinly disguised as commentary on a distant future distopia.
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Oh, the drama surfaces. I am beginning to feel this series should be required reading in sociology classes. Except I'm not sure I'd expose college students to this level of profanity and violence... oh who am I kidding.

Spider, Spider, how do I love thee. Don't be a martyr to the Smiler!
Dan
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For those who don't know this series it's basically Hunter S Thompson in the future. Spider Jerusalem is a ranting hack who will stop at nothing to get a story and bring down those he hates - which is everybody. Writer Warren Ellis is a literary god in my book...albeit a god with a sick mind.
BellaGBear
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This series is getting better again :D And sadder :/. I think this series will be finished way to quick for my liking from now on.
Will Boncher
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
This series just keeps getting better and better.
Joni
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Séptimo tomo otra vez conteniendo un arco argumental de tres números centrados en la historia y los tres restantes unitarios que siguen plasmando el universo Transmetropolitan y sus personajes principales. En principio sigue la historia de Spider echado del periódico donde escribía sus columnas y su pase a la clandestinidad que no hace más que potenciar su verborragia y poder oral y escrito. Ya está declarada la guerra entre él y el entrante presidente y no mucho más. El primer unitario trata ni ...more
Otherwyrld
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This volume feels like someone is thrashing about looking for a hook to hang a story on, and I can't tell if that someone is the protagonist or the author. There are a lot of good pieces here, but it all feels a bit disjointed when read as a whole. There's also a sense of a lack of movement in the underlying plot.

For all that, there were parts of this story that were really good, and at least there are a few hints about where it will go next. The fact that this direction may turn out to be "dow
Zec
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Like most Comics, TV Shows and God-forsaken Movie Sequels, Transmetropolitan has been treading familiar ground for quite a while now. But, Warren Ellis is still able to keep things fresh and twisted enough to be as entertaining, infuriating and depressing as always. The child prostitution standalone story was heartbreaking and peak Transmetropolitan. Plot-wise, this volume is a little slow, but it does raise the stakes and we do see an even more unhinged and damaged Spider Jerusalem. There is a ...more
Martha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
While somewhat advancing Spider's plotline, the heart of this volume are several chapters entirely focused on social issues - child abuse, closing of mental hospitals, decline and demolition of neighborhoods - that while placed in a science fiction setting are all far too real hear and now. On re-read it's striking me more and more that the Smiler is partly inspired by Reagan, though certainly there are half a dozen other fake-charming, really-awful politicians that are mixed in there as well.

An
Spencer Hughes
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Oomph. As hard-hitting as ever.

This issue, Spider Jerusalem tackles personal demons, abuse of public office, child prostitution, mental illness, and, as always, the deep, monumental indifference of the gray-faced masses. A cynical, dour, and tender examination of modern society, through the scathing lens of an angry but ultimately small journalist.

In this episode, we learn that fame does not make one powerful, and that showing people the truth does not make them accept it!

As harrowing and off-pu
Vittorio Rainone
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puntata interlocutoria per Transmetropolitan, ma al solito molto interessante e irrobustente per il contesto di quella città malata in cui Spider Jerusalem ha deciso di sopravvivere, dopo il licenziamento dal Word. Peccato che stia montando qualcosa dentro di lui: è malato e non sa se supererà il domani, si ostina a raccontare collezioni di racconti di gente ai margini, per preparare un grande scoop che sembra sempre più lontano. Sempre più folli le storie, mentre Callahan se la ride, al riparo. ...more
C. Varn
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellis really gets momentum here and the comic seems to have actual stakes, although the violence also seems to apt up. The farce and satire now seem contained by the Ellis's narrative momentum, and this helps focus the book even more clearly. Spider looks into child prostitution and increasingly homeless problem while being essentially on the run, and thus the social commentary gets profoundly dark even for Warren Ellis.
Anthony
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Martin Chalupa
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The pace of story in this volume is a bit slower. But still it is moving forward and it is not just empty wondering about how world is a bad place. I've noticed that the whole series is slowly being more serious as well as the main character. There is less crazy inventions from future then in previous volumes.
Karen
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t wait to cosplay this guy again. I wish I could get everyone I know to read these.
Sarah T.
This one is rough, but still worth keeping up with, as always.
Friz Allen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
more of a set up for what's to come. a solid explanation of Spider's latest caper and a great cliffhanger as the last page.
Cyndi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will Spider finish his mission?
Andrew
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This volume was pretty intense. Ellis is keeping things interesting, and telling some good stories.
Drizztl
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-2017
6.5/10
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 5: Counting to None
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
  • DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more

Transmetropolitan (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street