Start by marking “The Swift Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The Swift Programming Language

The Swift Programming Language

Swift is a new programming language for creating iOS and OS X apps. Swift builds on the best of C and Objective-C, without the constraints of C compatibility. Swift adopts safe programming patterns and adds modern features to make programming easier, more flexible, and more fun. Swift’s clean slate, backed by the mature and much-loved Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks, is a ...more
Published June 2nd 2014 by Apple Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Swift Programming Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swift Programming Language

Linda
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whenever a new programming language is introduced my reaction tends to be, "here we go again" However, in this case, I was somewhat excited. Since Mac OS and iOS programming is in Objective C and Objective C, while more palatable than C++, is still carrying around C's baggage, this looked like an opportunity.

The book itself is well-written and very easy to follow.

The language itself looks quite expressive though two oversights seems to be access modifiers on class components (like "private") and
Jordan Bancino
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was about, well, the Swift Programming Language. It explained how to use Swift, from printing "hello world", to building full applications for iOS, MacOS, WatchOS, and tvOS. It explains conditionals, functions, error catching, property and class inheritance and mutations, and much much more. My favorite part of the book was generic class functions, because it is a very smart implementation of Swift that allows for writing clean, effective code. I would recommend this book to people who ...more
David
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed getting to know Swift. I most recently came from Ruby (RoR) and I loved how flexible Ruby is. Swift feels less flexible, and I can't imagine Swift is useful for anything other than iOS/OSX programming. You'd get more out of this book if you already know how to program in other languages or worked with web frameworks. For example, the automatic reference counting chapter at first read like a memory management chapter, and it can be a little confusing, but you do find similar foreign key ...more
Jörn Dinkla
A good introduction into the language Swift. Nice examples, good explanations. But you should know at least one other modern programming language before reading this book, like e. g. C++ 11, Groovy, Ruby, Java 8, Scala, etc.

I miss a chapter on using the language in projects, though.

The four stars are for the book, not the language Swift. Swift code is much better to read than Objective C for sure, so it is a large improvement for iOS programming. But a general programming language needs concurre
Abdulrhman Eaita
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
a good intro to the language syntax and techniques. final release is finally out today, and forever reference .
Victor
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a good reference guide for the swift programming language. Good to be aware of the features available in the language.
Seto Elkahfi
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You should always refer to this book after you've found your answer on Stackoverflow.
Halordain
The book drilled too deeply into topics that wouldn't be directly useful to getting an app up & running. I also found its examples somewhat dry and impractical, and would have preferred more teaching-in-context, via Xcode projects.

The book also lacked practical explanations into key concepts where specific examples would have served well:
+ debugging: how to use built-in standard library functions like print() effectively
+ design patterns: specifically MVC, singleton, composition, decorator,
Julio Biason
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's skip the language itself for a moment and focus on the writing of the book.

The interesting bit is the first 20-or-so pages. It starts with a very simple, very succinct explanation of the language, so if you any programming language, you can just start writing Swift code picking the pointers in those pages.

Then, the real content starts: It goes very deep, explaining every point in great detail, with expanding examples that start very simple at the start of the chapter and then go increasing
superfunc
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, clear intro; a little dry.
Thuy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.1 beta version was edited for better clarity than the original Swift 4 book.
Mohamed Tarek
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and very easy to follow.
Dimitri Kurashvili
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome introductory book.
Juris
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If You want to learn Swift, this is the bets guide out there.
Đạt Anh
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Writing for Swift 2.0 Pre-release version.

Swift itself is an elegant, thoughtful and "safe" language.

As an introduction book writing in 2015, the book works best for both people new to programming or ones want to taste what it's like to be the most loved language on StackOverflow.

If you're in latter kind then the Guided Tour at the very beginning will let you "play" with the language in the attached Playground, a REPL environment also support Markdown document.

If you've just begun your programmi
Marc Page
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
The language itself is pretty terrific. Objective-C capabilities but feels more like python. Finally getting rid of a lot of the C cruft, but still feels familiar.

The book, however, seemed to have a hard time pinning down the audience. There were times it felt like an intro to programming book and other times it assumed you already knew about Objective-C/Cocoa. I don't know how well a beginner to programming would do with the book, but as someone who knows several programming languages, includin
Shea
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
As programming language references go, this one is fine. It does what it sets out to do-covers the language.

That being said, I've always been a little disappointed in how Apple doesn't do a better job of guiding people through the design patterns required of their OS, or of familiarizing people with their frameworks and general app design. Their intro-level web resources are too specific-build an app with them without thinking too hard about your design decisions, etc.

Again, this book's goal is
Gianni Costanzi
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book to get an idea about the new Swift language and I must say that I'm very satisfied of the quality of the publication and the code examples. The language seems very modern, it resembles a lot of constructs seen in scritp languages like Perl, but with the performance of a compiled language. I think that after this reading I'll subscribe to the iPhone Developer Program to start practicing with Swift with the new XCode and maybe one day I'll publish my first app on the App Store
Alvaro Tejada Galindo
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Well...this is not exactly a book...it's a manual...and it's pretty good...although I found confusing that the first section is a nice introduction and the second part is a deep dive into the introduction...

I was expecting something else...not only the main keywords or how to do "x" or "y"...I was expecting how to use graphics or things like that...well...I guess...it's not a book after all...

If you want to be introduced to Swift...this is really good...otherwise...go look for a real book...
grundoon
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apart from a few typos (which stand out all the more in a well-edited work) and a couple of topics which could still use a bit more explanation, it's quite a good introduction to the syntax and use of Swift. There's no peek under the hood, nor does one come away with a feeling of thorough understanding (as with, say K&R), but in the context of the Apple documentation library it serves its purpose well in a very approachable tone.
Elias Levy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, computers
The new language, while not revolutionary, does seem like a nice combination of existing programming concepts in a format that will be easy for Objective C programmers to pick up. The incorporation of some concepts that you usually only see in dynamic languages, such as closures, is particularly nice.
Михаил
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent style, I wish all documentation was written like this. That said, it looks like the "Patterns" section feels like it's written by some other person. Also, there are couple of errors, but, it's irrelevant, as it is understandable that language evolves fast and in no way the book could be kept along.
Ankit
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The book has many bugs.
Also it is not possible to report bugs to Apple unless one has a paid subscription of developer account.
At many a few places the theory mentions a concept which is in contradiction with the sample code which follows.
Too sad that Apple, a company known for delivering near-flawless products has come up with such a quality drained book.
Avihu
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best edited programming language books. A very succinct tutorial at the beginning that allows you to get the grip of the language and then the rest of the book serves as a reference to go in depth into the language.

The reference part of the book, could have been more comprehensive. It felt too much like just reiteration of the tutorial without saying a whole lot more.
Yoly
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this new language is a step forward from Objective-C, but I feel that some things were unnecessary and just added a bit more "weirdness" (technical term) to the language.
I can't wait until I can start using this and see it in practice.
Steve
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Day 3. So far very impressed. Best of JS, Python, C# and even VB. ObjC is dead to me. Live environment is a productivity boon. The community and dev camaraderie resembles VB development in its early days.
Feiyu Yin
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive one with very good examples.
Jenny
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: itunes-ebooks
I was just curious ! Way over my head .
Abdulrahman Al-zanki
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I now know more about Swift than I knew about Objective-C. Definitely a must!
Gabriel
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Very basic stuff. Will do well as a reference book, that's if for some reason I can't google search.

• iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • Programming in Objective C
  • OpenGL SuperBible: Comprehensive Tutorial and Reference
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • The Definitive Guide to Django: Web Development Done Right
  • Real World OCaml: Functional programming for the masses
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Node.js in Action
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Essentials of Programming Languages

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »