Start by marking “Marvel Boy” as Want to Read:
Marvel Boy

Marvel Boy

(Marvel Boy #1-6)

"We're always being told that super hero books are nothing but adolescent power fantasies. Fine. Here comes the ultimate adolescent power fantasy!" So speaks Grant Morrison, writer of the runaway hit comic, Marvel Boy, don't let the name fool you; Marvel Boy is no tights-wearing pushover. He is Noh-Varr, the youngest member of a diplomatic team of the alien Kree. After voy ...more
Published July 9th 2001 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Boy

Dan Schwent
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A Kree ship is shot down and Noh-Varr is the only surivor... and is quite pissed! Midas, the man who shot Noh-Varr down, pursues him for the Kree technology in his possession with all of his resources, including his daughter...

Back in the day, I read Wizard magazine (RIP) religiously, even when I wasn't reading comics anymore. Marvel Boy briefly dragged me out of one of my comic hiatuses. Was it worth it? Meh.

The Noh-Varr character was created as a throwback to the days when Namor the Sub-Marine
mark monday
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicon
Noh-Varr - Ensign Marvel - is a crewmember on board the 18th Kree Diplomatic Gestalt Interstellar Schooner, traveling back to their home world after a string of heroic interstellar feats of diplomacy that have made its crew heroes. unfortunately... disaster strikes! the crew must quickly navigate across millions of parallel realities until they finally manage to make it to our world - or at least our world according to Marvel comics. upon entry into our planet's airspace, the ship is quickly sho ...more
Aaron
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man oh man this was a fun read. I'm actually really surprised Marvel Boy doesn't come up more often when people talk about Grant Morrison's best work, because I really feel like this is one of my favorite stories of his I've ever read. It's solid, classic Morrison: incredibly huge ideas, chaos, rebellious teenage anarchists, "greater consciousness", all that jazz, but it's somehow very accessible this time.

Reading The Invisibles, Morrison's most critically-lauded series, makes you feel like you'
Mike
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
More mind-bending imagination from Grant Morrison. I find I really enjoy reading other authors - great dialogue or art - but Morrison consistently gives my brain an extra jolt of reality expansion. Makes me want to write as creatively and weirdly as he seems to always do.
Gavin
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I like Noh-Varr. I like his anti-establishment idea, I like that he's a lone-wolf and that he goes after the guy (Midas) who killed his friends/mentors. I like the attack on Multi-National-Corporations from Grant Morrison. I liked Plex, the Green goo assistant/hive-mind of the Kree Empire that helped Noh-Varr on his mission.
Midas and his daughter were kinda stupid.

I would like to see more of him, and since this is a 14yr old book republished, I know I've already seen more of him (During Dark Rei
Unai
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Menuda puta locura que es esto, pero quien bien te quedas después de leerlo. Y sirve para no perder detalle del evento Marvel del momento "Original Sin".
Muy loco todo, muy locas todas y muy muy disfrutable.
Stephanie Popovski
words cannot even begin to express how much i want to punch whoever was hiring marvel’s artists in the early 2000s. noh-varr baby im sorry, im sorry an ugly ass bitch would ever draw such a thing, oh my god,
Ria
A colleague lent me this to give me a better understanding of what exactly is going on in Young Avengers. And I must admit I'm still a wee bit confused... not my favourite Marvel, thanks in part to an odd villain in Midas, and the oddity of his creeepy protectiveness of Oubliette who he dresses in fetish gear with her arse cheeks hanging out. Eh?! Maybe I shouldn't read graphic novels when I'm drunk. Certainly shouldn't review when I'm drunk. Oh well, feelings are real innit?!
Johnny Andrews
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sci-fi infused comic but rather fast paced. Noh-Varr is of the Kree race and with some others was travelling on a peace delegation mission before being shot down over earth. Noh-Varr the only survivor is a bit ticked off about this and wages war.
The only thing on his side is a strange super computer entity which resides in his ship but keeps contact with him and helps steer his path to become a somewhat anti-hero protecting the earth even though he is angry and doesn't much like them.
One
Matt Sautman
Although I like Grant Morrison, I find that the majority of this story feels unremarkable in regard to the larger Marvel comics universe. The single issue where Marvel Boy takes on a living evil company named Hex is phenomenal and easily could be five stars, but the surrounding issues, while not bad, do not necessarily make Marvel Boy as endearing of a character as other Marvel Knights characters and certainly does not hold up to the quality of Christopher Priest’s run of Black Panther for Marve ...more
Bill
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A pre-9/11 book that seems weirdly prescient in retrospect. There are a lot of good ideas in it, although they are occasionally undermined by a slightly puerile desire to shock. It reminds me, of all things, of Kirby’s OMAC series: ideas are introduced and discarded with that sort of frenetic speed, and it’s honestly thrilling. And you aren’t ever going to be able to convince me that Hex Corp — the parasitic living corporation! — doesn’t actually exist.
Ondra Král
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hodnocení částečně ovlivňuje, že jsem si před čtením přečetl Morrisonův komentář. Grant chtěl vytvořit super mega cool superhrdinskej komiks pro novou generaci, a tak tu Marvel v doprovodu výbuchů běhá po barácích, tahá se s latexovou slečnou a řeší obří korporaci co staví koncentrák. Já mu to žral.
Rowan Grover
Grant Morrison’s equivalent of Jack Kirby’s OMAC. Some fantastic concepts are flung at you issue to issue, including a living alien corporation and a modern King Midas. However, a lot of the anti-establishment stuff hasn’t aged super well, including some decidedly problematic dialogue at times.
Dony Grayman
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edición del coleccionable Los Héroes más poderosos de Marvel que no incluye números extra pero sí intro y apéndice exclusivos.
Will Cooper
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, quick read!
The Book Loving Monkey
Good premise, well executed, extremely unpleasant. Not my cup of tea.
Jeremy
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. I am a huge fan of Morrison and would highly recommend it. I was lucky enough to find the individual issues for all less than a $1 at a local book shop.
Emelie Karlsson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just no
Tony Laplume
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arguably the most distinctive work of Morrison's brief run with Marvel, this is also a clear prelude to what he'd be doing once he returned to the DC fold.

From Seven Soldiers of Victory to All Star Superman to the Damian Wayne version of Robin featured in his extended Batman work, Morrison had a lot of that material on his mind when he envisioned Marvel Boy, which is about as unfettered as he could get at Marvel. Famously, he stretched his New X-Men so far, Marvel ended up snapping much of it ba
Artur Coelho
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grant Morrison pega no venerando Capitão Marvel para uma renovação plástica e o resultado é este: um alienígena adolescente cujo adn mistura genes humanos e de insecto, mentalmente interligado com uma inteligência artificial consciente que habita aquilo que melhor pode ser descrito como uma gosma verde com rosto. Um vilão que se socorre das velhas armaduras do Homem de Ferro para ocultar o seu corpo deformado pela exposição intencional a raios cósmicos e que não olha a meios para atingir os seus ...more
Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-books
Morrison loves his space pulp, as is clear from a reading of Supergods (and his chapter on this series, which was only six issues, is what made me want to check it out in the first place) But what makes it possibly a great minor work, or a good major work, is that he infuses what is the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters (and there's a sort of take off on that cleverly as two opponents fight and another makes it look like it's a film shoot to distract the onlookers) but with a history of stuff like ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Turn Grant Morrison loose, let him be as creative as he wants with a multiverse, and you're just about guaranteed to have a great book. That's what happened here, with the slick art of J. G. Jones just making it greater.
Morrison and Jones pillage Marvel's history for characters and ideas and make them wholly their own here to tell a tale of (totally justified) teenage anger at all of the worst corruptions of the world. I've never read this anywhere, nor heard Morrison saying it, but I have a fu
Chris Lemmerman
I know Grant Morrison has a very particular style of writing, and I tend to like most of what he does, but Marvel Boy is a very odd book. The basic idea is a good one, but it spends far too much time in the middle introducing weird, high concept ideas for villains instead of dealing with Noh-Varr himself, so that by the time all 6 issues are over, we know the same amount about Marvel Boy as we do at the beginning. Midas and Exterminatrix are also interesting characters, but again get neglected i ...more
Fugo Feedback
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y de la joda
Recommended to Fugo by: La dupla creativa
Finalmente lo puedo leer en papel y en una edición de lo más bonita, aunque su portada no parece muy resistente. De todos modos, fue una compra de lo más acertada, donde se ve a un Morrison experimental hasta por ahí nomás pero con muchas ganas de divertirse, acompañado por el más que correcto Jones en los dibujos. Creo que no llega a las 4 estrellitas porque se queda medio tibio: ni es una joda absoluta ni es una historia de superhéroes sólida. Es una aventura medioespacial bastante entretenida ...more
Brian
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
His name isn't Marvel, it's actually Noh-Varr, and he's a visiting Kree alien who dresses like a space surfer dude. His crashed spaceship was called the Marvel. Now that's a rather circuitous way to arrive at such a ridiculous title for this series. I think maybe they should have spent a little more time thinking about the title, but that's just me.

This short series includes some really crazy concepts and bizarre alien technology, along with an absurd human domniatrix villain. On the bright side
Nicholas
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-marvel
Morrison is at his incomprehensible worst when any story involves the multiverse. Narrative cohesion breaks down and it's often difficult to follow what's going on from panel to panel. There's no sense of proper pacing with relatively minor events being dragged out over several panels while a dramatic turn of events transpires between panels leaving readers to stitch together implied meaning.

Marvel Boy is an interesting character to be sure and his zany adventures when arriving on earth have a
rr
While I do pick up a graphic novel from time to time, usually my interests don't lead me to works like Marvel Boy. But I've recently gotten interested in various versions of the Midas myth, and particularly ones written since 1852, when Hawthorne added the now-standard element of Midas' daughter to the story--and that interest led me to Marvel Boy. In Marvel Boy the antagonist is named Midas and he has a daughter. Midas has tried to turn his daughter into his ultimate weapon, but she has plans o ...more
Marco
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I may be the only person in the universe who thinks that Grant Morrison is completely overrated, but this book cemented my previous opinion.
While the book has a few good ideas, those are not really fleshed out, the characters stay flat despite a few interesting lines of dialogue. Basically this 6-part series consists of throw-away ideas and story seeds that don't really lead anywhere.
Also: What was the point of the crew being Kree from another universe? The Noh-Varr character could just as well
Etienne
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Grant Morrison's mind is chock full of gloriously weird ideas; I'm not sure why he sometimes feels compelled to dress them in form-fitting black leather. I can't tell what the femme fatale deuteragonist is meant to parody, but when a caricature is functionally indistinguishable from every other underdressed antiheroine, it doesn't make for particularly trenchant criticism.

J.G. Jones is in excellent form and has a great eye for cinematic layouts. Indeed, there is plenty to love here---that is, if
Wt
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent start to the Ultimate universse for Marvel, even if we didn't know that is what it was.
Making the story very emotional and exciting, Grant Morrison showed us that good writing at Marvel hadn't died! This was the late 90's and at point, Spider-Clones and Iron Man being reduced to a teenager had ruined people's faith in the system.
Then came this masterpiece and suddenly, Marvel was relevant again!
And the art was another stroke of genius!!
Seriously, this is a must read for com
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • Madrox: Multiple Choice
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
  • Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • The Fate of the Artist
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Marvel Boy (6 books)