Start by marking “Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13)” as Want to Read:
Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13)

Damage Control

(Joanna Brady #13)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,011 ratings  ·  344 reviews
Feeling overwhelmed by paperwork and the responsibilities of caring for a newborn, Arizona sheriff Joanna Brady struggles with a case involving a woman who shot the wrong man while defending herself from a stalker and a fatal car accident that may have been staged.
Published July 22nd 2008 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Damage Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damage Control

really liked it 4.00  ·

Maria Cox
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Damage Control is the first novel I've read by J.A. Jance and it was an okay read.

I was particularly drawn to this book for three reasons, 1) because Ms. Jance is a NYT Best Selling author, 2) because so many people praise her work and 3) the prologue.

**Spoiler alert, sorry**

Like a lot of other reviewers I was immediately drawn to Damage Control from the prologue, and just like the other reviewers, I too was disappointed to realize that the prologue had little to do with the story line. Sadly, t
Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile)
An elderly couple drive their car off a cliff, apparently in a suicide pact. But when their daughters show up, fighting over the inheritance, it seems there's more to this case than meets the eye. Meanwhile, there's a fire in a mobile home and human remains are found in a trash bag that washes up after a storm. All this in a weekend in a small town.

This book is really ridiculous.There's so much going on at once; isn't one mystery enough for a mystery novel? I didn't really see the point in havin
Heather
Dec 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The main character, a sheriff, refers to a female homicide victim as a “wide-load victim” because the woman wore size 20 clothing. This is said as the sheriff is looking at the dismembered skeletal remains of the woman who was beaten, murdered, and buried the the desert for months. This is the 2nd Joanna Brady book I’ve read and the author doesn’t seem fond of or sympathetic to undocumented immigrants who cross the border. The only characters whose body type she describes are those who are overw ...more
Robert Lariviere
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read in an entertaining series.
Cheryl Landmark
Review to come soon.
Steven
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

When Andy died you really didn't personally suffer to much because we didn't really know him. After now reading 13 books in this series I have come to know each character and feel what they feel. When one of their own officers die from a brutal murder you bet your going to feel it. I did. Other characters in the story announced they are leaving and it will be interesting to see where this all goes.
Andrew
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently listened to a recorded book, one of those "A Short Period in the Life of ..." from a long-running series by a prolific author. I wondered if it was the lack of a driving plot (mystery OR suspense) that turned me off, or if it was because this was the first book in the series that I'd "read" and I couldn't appreciate the growth in characters I didn't know.

Well, J. A. Jance's "Damage Control" is a similar book. And my reaction couldn't have been more opposite! This book (at least the au
Alyce Rocco
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I am not fond of novels with prologues, so really annoyed with the one in Damage Control by J.A.Jance. As new characters were introduced, I would flip back to the prologue to check names, finding that the woman was not showing up in the story.

It was only towards the end of the story that readers hear another word about her. It may have been a ploy to get readers to keep reading to find out what the prologue had to do with the story. I lost interest in the book and would not have finished it if i
Lydia
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Stock, cliche fiction. I got annoyed with how the author would randomly use jargon and then feel the need to define the terms for the reader - somewhat patronizing and pedantic. Oh is that what BOLO means? I've never read a police novel before, so I'm glad you clarified "be on the lookout" for me. And so on and so forth. There was also a lot of mention of prayer, and the Christian lingo thrown in was a bit jarring, because it was not obviously a Christian novel throughout, and thus the effect wa ...more
Kay Van Slyke
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first J.A. Jance and it was a good one. I really like Joanna Brady's character but I probably should go back and start with the first one. The book stands alone but it would be nice to get more background on the characters.
Michael Tarpinian
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first J.A. Jance novel. I did not realize at the start that I was reading the continuation of a series. I found the story compelling. I will start at the beginning of this series and work through it. I hope the rest are as good as this one was.
Denver
Mar 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
The only reason I even finished this book is because I was on vacation and literally trapped. Road closures from snow and what not kept me from getting a new book to read.
Peggy
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really wish that Ms.Jance would write faster. I love her books and this one was interesting and fast paced. I am happy that I am not Joanna Brady. She has way to many irons in the fire!
Karen
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
JoAnna Brady continues to work as Sheriff and be a mother (who does that!!!???)
I would be worried if I lived in her little town. They find dead bodies everywhere!
Elaine Nickolan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I normally enjoy the writing of J.A. Jance and the story lines created. This book started off with a twist and went into, what I thought was a pretty good story. As the body count rose, the story became more interesting. It was interesting to see just how they all would come together. However, the ending provided fell flat as far as I was concerned. Sheriff Brady has her own personal story going on with possible past indiscretions by her Dad, and previous husband, Andy. I am not sure that this s ...more
Vicky
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my second JA Jance novel in the series. My first book was about Ali Reynolds. I thoroughly enjoyed Damage Control. I liked all he characters and I especially liked the different plots going on at the same time. Joanna Brady is not only a chief in the sheriff department, but a wife and a mother of a teenager girl and a baby boy! She is the woman in charge of mostly men. In this book there are several murders which Joanna's deputies must solve. This book is easy reading, holds your interes ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
I think I enjoyed this installment of the Joanna Brady series a little more that the past few. There was a lot going on and you had to keep up, but that kept it interesting. There were some past questions answered as well as several cases on Joanna's plate in this book, plus it looks like some changes are coming for the next book regarding Joanna's coworkers.

I also liked the narrator of this audio book much better than some of the previous ones.
Rae Davies
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the books in this series, as well as the ones I have read in the Reynolds series (I am reading both simultaneously), this was by far the best. This is the first book which invoked such emotion in me that I actually cried.

My one issue is that I did not like the ending. It left a side story unresolved, and it's not a story big enough to be carried over into future books. I wish more had been explained with it.
Scott Henricks
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series of books! Twists, turns, intelligent criminal investigations, and characters I get to know and grow to love more and more. I can’t wait to continue this series and jump into one of the other Jance series after I’m caught up with this one.

Fast, gripping reads that never disappoint.
Lewestover
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things are seldom as they seem. An elderly couple drive their car off the edge of a mountain view point. A young boy scavenging for items of value finds instead a bag of human bones. And then there are personal/family relationships that come into question as well Joanna Brady can't stop
the bad from happening. All she can do is try to control the damage.
Patrick
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Joanna seems to get herself in a lot of trouble. A lot of homicides seem to happen on her watch. That can make for a good story. I'm not sure how realistic it is however. I suspect it is though. With all the trouble they have in border towns with illegals, I'm sure there is a lot of crime that goes on. This book does end on a happy note though, so I'm taking a brief break from the series.
Chris Birdy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One weekend in the dessert community brought torrential rains, a double suicide and the discovery of a dead body. Joanna Brady and her department have their hands full. The story shows a whole department working together to get a job done while they deal with personal and family problems. This is probably one of the strongest stories in the series.
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think previous raters who gave this book four stars were pretty much on target. I've read some of Jance's previous work and liked them, and this book was not an exception. I learned a little about police funerals and bagpipers and then just saw in NYC the other day folks gathering for such an occasion. This was a fun read.
William  Owens
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid piece of writing.

This is not a book that I would have picked but the conflict between family and the job was well done. The impact of the death of the officer was very moving.
Richard
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
I want to read the entire series, so I've reread the first eight for continuity.
I remember enjoying it more as it progressed.
The crazies seem to show up in southeast Arizona. Sheriff Brady and her changing staff find ways to handle the influx on a budget.
A good read.
Paul
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still one on my favorite series. I don't do full reviews of mysteries because there's too much chance of spoilers. Instead, I just put in notes so I can remember the plot. For this one: suicide pact, body bag, chocolate sauce, Ketamine, fallen officer and change and loss.
Jessica
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Joan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, mystery
Anne Hanson
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I chose this book because I am familiar with this author and usually come to her when I'm looking for something a bit lighter but still has a good story. Never disappointed.
Lisa
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Slow and obvious, this book blunders along leaving the reader hoping for something to happen. Maybe it’s because this was the first book I’d read in this series but the characters seemed shallow and waiting for something to happen to them.
Joanna Brady Series 7 35 Oct 05, 2014 11:58AM
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Borderline (Anna Pigeon, #15)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Convenient Disposal (Posadas County Mystery, #3)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • Sand Sharks (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #15)
  • Hunting Badger (Leaphorn  & Chee, #14)
  • A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak, #17)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)
“dog—shook his head and tightened his grip on” 0 likes