Start by marking “You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond” as Want to Read:
You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond

You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond

(You Don't Know JS #6)

No matter how much experience you have with JavaScript, odds are you don't fully understand the language. As part of the "You Don't Know JS" series, this compact guide focuses on new features available in ECMAScript 6 (ES6), the latest version of the standard upon which JavaScript is built.

Like other books in this series, You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond dives into trickier
Paperback, first, 278 pages
Published January 12th 2016 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Know JS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Know JS

Start your review of You Don't Know JS: ES6 & Beyond
Furkan Sakar
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It seems I really don't know the JS. The book is not just reference book for ES6, it also explains the why the feature exists and the common pitfalls when using them. I will need to read some parts again to understand better.

By the way, The author knows vanilla JS very well :) I can see some examples from old days. Ugly but it was the only way at that time...
Hatem
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book to be the most important one in the You don't know JS series, especially for those who have some experience and have been working with Javascript for years. It goes through all of the tricks and gotchas of ES6 and as usual Kyle's way of explanation is very clear and straightforward.
Sang Tran
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The book provides many many new things for me about JS, especially ES6. They involve new syntaxes and terms like spread/rest, destructuring, arrow function, template string, class, extends, super, export/import modules, async/await, promise.

But there is one thing I don't like in this book: there are many academic examples. It's so boring.
Besides, there are something not useful for me like Symbol, WeakSets, WeakMaps, Setting[[Prototype]], Proxies, Tail Call Optimization, Object.observe(), SIMD
Tareef Mando
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
الكتاب الأخير من سلسلة أنت لا تعرف جافاسكربت. يتحدث عن التحديثات والتحسينات التي أدخلت إلى اللغة مع إصدارة عام 2015
وعلى الرغم من أنني أستخدم العديد من ميزات هذه الإصدارة لكن الكتاب كالعادة حوى على العديد من التفاصيل التقنية المهمة المتعلقة بها
بالإضافة إلى استعراضه لميزات ومفاهيم جديدة لم أسمع بها من قبل أو سمعتُ بها لكن لم أستخدمها بعد.

مشكلة الكتاب، وهي مآخذ عامة على السلسلة:
- الأمثلة البرمجية الأكاديمية، أتمنى لو كانت الأمثلة واقعية أو عملية أكثر
- الكتاب ليس له جمهور مُحدد، تقرأ بعض الفصول وتجد
Julia
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
This one is good to brush up some rarely-used features of current JS syntax. Some of them I've never used, but at least now I know where to look for a reference in case I'll come across some specific stuff. Finally made it through the series, though my two favourites ones are about Scopes and Object Prototypes. ...more
Grant Downie
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Content was very detailed with great examples. I only lose a star as it grew tedious every nth paragraph either said refer to the other book in the series OR this topic will be covered in a later chapter. A footnote or reference initially would suffice.
Magnús
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Þessi bók er alger snilld. Einhverra hluta vegna dagaði hún uppi á lestrarborðinu hjá mér, en ég hafði samt af að klára hana. Efnið er vissulega mis-þurrt, en holl lesning hverjum sem hefur áhuga á að koma sér inn í þær breytingar sem fylgja ES6 útgáfunni.
Bereket
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

This book is very clear and has many examples to show the concepts and ideas. From start to the end it first explains the tricky staff and later after many discussions it shows you the right way or the recommended way to write your code and things to watch out for.
Jan Kroken
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
was good as a preview, but now a different book should be chosen
Yazan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written, concise overview of ES6 features.
Frank Palardy
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: javascript-cloud
JavaScript is tricky to know well so this helps.
Joel Barbosa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Simpson show in this series
the best approach about new features on ES6.
Vedegis Evgenii
Apr 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
the best book about foundation of javascript
Ivan Kazandzhiev
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Single source of truth about JS :)
ferhat
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016_read
Lots of details, good.
Fred
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I give this four stars instead of five has nothing to do with the book and everything to do with me. It was over my head at times (I am too much of a Javascript newbie). I am not qualified to judge the stuff that I did not understand. So I can't say it's all 5-star and I won't say it's less than 4 star.

The author has one verbal tic which (used in moderation) is not a bad thing but when used to excess gets tiresome (so I learned while reading this book): the use of the word "Consi
Can Delibaş
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You really don't know JS until you read this book. At least for me. The book covered almost all aspects of ES6/ES7 very clearly. ...more
Leah Bartlett
Jay
Dec 26, 2017
Bilal Ahmed
Apr 28, 2020

• Machine Learning Pocket Reference: A Quick Guide to Structured Machine Learning Techniques
  • Understanding Ecmascript 6: The Definitive Guide for JavaScript Developers
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript
  • Beginning Functional JavaScript: Functional Programming with JavaScript Using EcmaScript 6
  • The History of the Web Volume I
  • The Little Soul and the Sun: A Children's Parable Adapted from Conversations with God
  • The Art of Monitoring
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence
  • Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kyle Simpson is an Open Web Evangelist from Austin, TX, who's passionate about all things JavaScript. He's an author, workshop trainer, tech speaker, and OSS contributor/leader. ...more

You Don't Know JS (6 books)
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes
  • You Don't Know JS: Types & Grammar
  • You Don't Know JS: Async & Performance

News & Interviews

The winter holiday season tends to be a busy one in the romance aisle. To assist you in finding your next hot read to warm up a cold night,...