Start by marking “Dark Hope (Archangel Prophecies #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Hope (Archangel Prophecies #1)

Dark Hope

(The Archangel Prophecies #1)

A new young adult saga in the Twilight tradition about the love between a human and an archangel.

For years, Hope Carmichael, survivor of a shocking child abduction, has lived a sheltered existence under the protection of her fanatically religious father. Now, liberated by her mother, Hope prepares to start life over as a normal kid in an Atlanta, Georgia, high school.

Norma
Published July 29th 2014 by Greenleaf Book Group (first published July 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Hope, please sign up.
Bridget I would at least give it a try. I personally DNF'd it because after 200+ pages, I just couldn't stay into the book. But I also didn't finish Hush Hush…moreI would at least give it a try. I personally DNF'd it because after 200+ pages, I just couldn't stay into the book. But I also didn't finish Hush Hush or Fallen series (but I do plan on giving the next few books in Fallen a try, I had gotten about 2 books in and lost interest)...so, I would suggest you try this one if you loved those (If you haven't already). I really hope you enjoy(ed) it. (less)

Vikki
Angelology with the hunt of an ancient artifact with some young adult romance is how I would best describe this book. The main character, Hope, is kidnapped as a toddler and miraculously found unharmed with only a mark on the back of her neck. Hope's father becomes a religious fanatic and overprotective father, thinking Hope was Marked for God's purpose. Hope's parents separate and her father gets full custody of her until Hope is 15 and asks the judge to live with her mother. Strange things sta ...more
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teenagers
***Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review***

"I will keep you as the apple of the eye,
hide you under the shadow of my wings."

I love books with angels in it, so as soon as I saw the word archangel in the blurb, this became a must-read for me, plus the pretty cover. The beginning of the story was interesting, I liked the idea of the plot in general, but, unfortunately, it didn't rock my world.

Why is that?

1. Well, first of all I blame Nalini Singh & her Guild Hunter Series
Lia Park
You can take a look at my blog Bookland@wordpress
Check out my twitter BookLand@twitter
Also you can like my fb page Bookland@facebook

Arc kindly provided by the publisher, via netGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

The idea was unique and the book had a lot of potential. Not bad but not thrilling either.

Writing Style

Just like I’ve said before, not bad. The book begins with a prologue and a third person POV. Then there’s a transition to Hope’s mother’s POV described in third person and then
Giselle
*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher (Greenleaf Book Group) via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dark Hope by Monica McGurk started off great with an interesting premise and promising introductory narration. Let me start off by saying that the blurb here that says it's: "A new young adult saga in the Twilight tradition about the love between a human and an archangel," certainly disenchants me as a reader. This book was marketed as a "Twilight Wannabe" but after finishi
Khelsey Jackson
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
"I will keep you as the apple of the eye,
hide you under the shadow of my wings."

When I first started this book I just wanted to read a few pages. Well that didn't happen. I was sucked into Hope's world and I needed to know what happened.

I love the Archangel theme it was a first for me. I love angel books, but this one was pretty different than any I have read before. I would recommend to EVERYONE. But I will warn them to have the time to read it because you won't want to put it down!

Well done
Dianne
Is love possible between an ancient archangel and a fifteen-year-old girl? Hope Carmichael has always lived an extremely sheltered and controlled life under the obsessively watchful eye of her religious zealot father after being kidnapped and tattooed as a young child. Having finally been allowed to live with her mother, Hope is looking forward to living like a “normal” teen, doing what kids do and finding a sense of freedom she has never known. Enter Michael, an emancipated teen with drop dead ...more
mahana
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't want to say it was like Twilight. But it was like Twilight.

Don't get me wrong, this book wasn't terrible. There are just more things that I didn't like that cancelled out any chances of me enjoying the story a whole lot.

It's a recycled plot and storyline. Girl moves to new town and is topic of the school because she's new and meets a mysterious and dark teenage boy who is a supernatural/paranormal being? The originality lacks in this one.

No matter what kind of relationship it was, it wa
Tracy Iglesias
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was compensated and received the book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. My blog, Ascending Butterfly, hosts a Monthly Book Club, which started in 2009, and it is very rare that I also review the book via Amazon, I felt compelled to do so now as I don't want this book to get overlooked. I appreciate succinct reviews so I will try to do the same now - Dark Hope is a page-turner, it is well written, and while it's classified as YA (Young Adult) it deals with ver ...more
Klinta
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley, Greenleaf Book Group and the author – Monica McGurk for a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Although this book is so similar to Twilight and there are mistakes and little details that do not really fit, it was still a good read and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I felt the influence of fanfiction writing on the author and felt it in the chapters that each had action and development to keep the reader hooked.

The author raises serious to
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I was really on the fence about this book because I LOVED the fact that it brought awareness to the very real issue of human trafficking, but the story itself just didn't capture and hold my attention. It all ended up feeling like something I've read before (except for the human trafficking part). And then, even more frustrating was the fact that I just wasn't all that enamored with these characters. Michael was all da
Christianna Marks
Jun 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just can't do it. I don't want to. So, I'm gonna DNF this one and not read the second one either.
Anja
Feb 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
Kind of in the mood for some prn YA again like waaay back in the day! ;D
Siobhan
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dark Hope is more of a two-point-five read for me, yet in the end I found I couldn’t round it up. Whilst there were moments where I thought I would be rounding it up, as a whole the book wasn’t quite good enough for me to make the final push.

The book had promise I cannot deny that. I love books with angels; they’re one of my biggest weaknesses, meaning I was super interested to see what this one would give me. Unfortunately, I believe I’ve read far too many wonderful angel books, and have theref
Courtney
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reviews
Disclosure: I received this book for free and received compensation. All opinions, as always, are 100% my own!
With my daughter being in school now, I have had more time to get some reading done. I always read at night before I go to bed, but it is kind of nice to be able to read in the morning after getting her on the school bus. For my first book, I was luckily enough to receive Dark Hope, which is the first book in the Archangel Prophecies trilogy.
Dark Hope is a book about Hope, who is a teena
Laurie Rhoten
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was never one that was really into young adult novels until the Twilight series. It was then that I became one of those thirty-something year old adults that read the books late into the wee morning hours. I'm not ashamed to say that I love the book series and can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read them with me.

To my surprise, last night I was able to finish another young adult novel that I was again unable to put down. This book entitled Dark Hope: Book One of the Archangel Prophe
Lara
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Original review and giveaway found here: http://www.overstuffedlife.com/2014/0...

Dark Hope by Monica McGurk is the first book in a new trilogy entitled The Archangel Prophecies. It is a young adult novel with a fantastic twist. Instead of the typical vampires, this book has angels.

I really enjoyed it. I felt that Hope is a strong female character--one that I wouldn't mind my own teenager reading about. Sure, she doesn't always make the best decisions, but she does have some incredibly tough deci
Beth Lowry grund
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
disclosure: I did receive this book as a review from a company but my opinions are honest and my own.

Being honest. I didn't read the book preview. So...I really started the book with NO insight or anything to look for or look forward to. It didn't take me long into the book that I started wondering about the title and then I read the back of the book cover for a little more info. I was reeling after the first chapter and pretty well hooked. Dark Hope has enough twists and turns to make a roller
Elaine
This is the first book in the Archangel Prophecies Trilogy. When Hope Carmichael was abducted as a child, she was rescued and her abductor appears to have mysteriously been burned to ashes. The only sign of anything different on Hope is a mysterious tattoo. After this her father becomes a somewhat zealous religious fanatic and believes he needs to totally protect Hope from the world. Her Mum can’t stand this obsessive behaviour and her parents split. Hope’s Dad gains custody of her for the next ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Greenleaf Book Group and NetGalley.)
When Hope was a toddler she was kidnapped, and then found with the remnants of a man burned to death, and with a strange tattoo on her neck.
What happened to Hope? And what does the tattoo mean?

This started out okay, but I lost interest.

Hope was an okay character, although she seemed to make excuses for her father instead of being angry at the way he had kept her so sh
Karla
I did enjoy this book but felt it lacked something. Couldn't put my finger on what it lacked exactly but I felt empty after reading it. I say it lacked intensity, that feeling where you have to find out what happens next.

The characters Michael and Hope had no connection and nothing in common. He was hot, she was cute, same old, same old. There was little to no intensity or passion. You are not left routing for them.

The sex trafficking story line wasn't really realistic. I think the book would h
Bobbi
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I tried really hard to love this book. When I saw that it was about an arch-angel I was over the moon! But, this book was just not my cuppa. I didn't enjoy the writing style, the characters seemed immature, predictable, and the lead characters lacked chemistry. I wish I could have loved this book. I wish I could have gotten to the end of it, but I couldn't make myself finish it - not without risking a book slump.
Scott Roberts
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book cover has a gothic fantasy art look to the book. It shows the night sky, the full moon and crows in the sky. I give this book 5 stars.
*Lily's*

**I would like to thank Netgalley, Greenleaf Book Group and the author Monica McGurk for a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.**

Let me start off by saying that I love reading angel books. So right away I was like 'yep this is going to be good'.

Dark Hope begins with Hope Carmichael's (our main character) abduction at a very young age. We read this part through the POV of Mona, Hopes mom. We see this a couple of times, which can be a bit confusing. We know that it's
Uma   ~Books.Bags.Burgers.
( I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.)

BLURB

Normal, that is, until Hope meets Michael, a gorgeous emancipated teen with a mysterious past and a strong interest in Hope. And soon, Hope’s lif
Andrea Heltsley
I'm extremely conflicted as I write this review. The story is about a sixteen year old girl who suffered an abduction in the past and has grown up with her extremely paranoid father. After an incident, Hope is sent to her mom to live.

So far, at this point the story is interesting. The mystery surrounding Hope draws you in. I kept expecting to find out just who abducted her in the first place. While the author does add memories that tie part of the story together, we never get the full story.

Then
Mary Graham
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Can we talk about how I keep getting pushed out of my reading comfort zone and I’m loving it? Take Dark Hope by Monica McGurk for example. It’s got angels and prophesies, sex-trafficked kids and Asian mafias, all things I wouldn’t normally be drawn to, but once I got into this book, I was hooked.

Dark Hope is the first in a trilogy (and we know how much I love a trilogy!) about Hope, a teenage girl who has lived an extremely sheltered life. It all started when Hope was younger and was kidnapped w
Julie Brown
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot, and when I say a lot I mean at least 2 books a week not including all the children's books I read to the girls. I am not real picky with what I read as long as it has the ability to pull me in a little and get me wondering whats next. I will admit I have have read a lot of the young adult fiction books that have come out lately I even read the vampire one. So reading a young adult fiction book was not new to me, and most are actually good. I started this book thinking it was going ...more
Tera Kinsman
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Also posted on My WAHM Plan here: http://www.mywahmplan.com/2014/09/dar...

This book is about Hope Carmichael, a teenager who was abducted as a child. Her father had raised her in a religious, overprotective environment, until she was 15. Hope’s mother gained custody, and she finally has a chance to be a normal teenager in Atlanta, Georgia.
Linda
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
** Review written by Tera Kinsman for My WAHM Plan**

At school, Hope makes her first real friend, Michael. He’s every girl’s dream, and Hope can’t believe he even noticed her. But there is more to him than meets the eye, and strange
Marie -The Reading Otter
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
I received this ebook from Netgalley for review

I have started and stopped this review about 6 times in the past 5 minuets. I just don't know what to say about this book. I am a fan of books with angels in them, have been for the past few years. I had hoped and wanted this book to be one to add to my list of books that I liked. Unfortunately I cant even add it to as a book that I tolerate.

None of the characters were likable, memorable, or realistic. Hope is annoying and I feel like the author is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Unclaimed (Unclaimed, #1)
  • Better Left Buried
  • Like Candy (Candy #1)
  • Shadow of Flame (Dragonsworn, #2)
  • Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)
  • Fall for Me
  • Dark Dawn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Return of the Ascendant (Ascendant, #1)
  • Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord, #1)
  • Twisted Up In You
  • Kindred of the Fallen (Kindred Chronicles, #1)
  • Bloodmoon (Bloodmark Saga, #3)
  • Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera #1)
  • Darksoul (Silver Shadows, #1)
  • Larger Than Life (Smithson Group SG-5 #2)
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • Sachael Dreams (Mine, #1)
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
Monica McGurk loves nothing better than to craft thought-provoking, multilayered stories, showcasing strong girls and women overcoming big challenges.

Already a fan favorite, she received the 2013 TwiFic Fandom Undiscovered Gem award for Morning Star, her alternate ending to the Twilight series, written before the release of Breaking Dawn.

Her first novel in The Archangel Prophecies trilogy, Dark Ho

The Archangel Prophecies (3 books)
  • Dark Rising (Archangel Prophecies #2)
  • Dark Before Dawn (Archangel Prophecies #3)