Start by marking “Interregnum (Tales of the Empire #1)” as Want to Read:
Interregnum (Tales of the Empire #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Interregnum

(Tales of the Empire #1)

For twenty years civil war has torn the Empire apart; the Imperial line extinguished as the mad Emperor Quintus burned in his palace, betrayed by his greatest general. Against a background of war, decay, poverty and violence, men who once served in the proud Imperial army now fight as mercenaries, hiring themselves to the greediest lords. On a hopeless battlefield that sam ...more
Published April 10th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Interregnum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interregnum

Start your review of Interregnum (Tales of the Empire #1)
Paul Bennett
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the author's more recent works, the Marius Mules series and the first in the Ottoman Cycle series, I was curious as to how his earlier works would compare. Interregnum is the first of a fantasy-history trilogy set in a fictitious time period reminiscent of the Late Roman Empire/early medieval eras. The story revolves around the crumbling of an empire and the attempt 20 years after the death of the last Emperor to restore it. Naturally there are rivals and factions and that is what fe ...more
Simon Howard
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A foray into fantasy that works perfectly! So glad I started this new series from an author I already liked. well worth a read.
Patrick Rodgers
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had recently finished MM12 and figured that a book titled "Interregnum" would be appropriate while trying to determine my next endeavor. Such a great story told in a very entertaining manner. It was everything that I have come to expect from Mr. Turney. He has moved up near the top of my Favorite Author list, and is one of the few living authors on it. Thank you for such a well written book. It was a wonderful read. ...more
susie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite Scarrow

Overall a good read with decent plot. Some nice twists and turns and suprises. Did not get the fifth star from me because unlike Scarrow there was never a sense of being part of a real part of history with characters and places all feeling fictional. I like books of this era to be linked even a little to actual historical characters and places.
Elaine Tatro
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t wait to start the next volume!

It has been a while since I have discovered a new series that has pulled me in quite as quickly as this one has, and thus it has been an absolute pleasure to have discovered S.J.A. Turney’s writing. Look forward to reading the rest of the series, and then onto his other books!
Reed DePace
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worthy of the Roman genre!

One quibble, the vineyard in the north at the end might not work; depends how cold it is up there. Other than that, wow! Twists, surprises, compelling information revealed only at the right moment! All the qualities of a great story, and set in a Roman Empire background. Well done sir!
Jerry Mercer
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Well-written Story

The overall plot of this book was carried through with good characters, good descriptions, and carefully crafted action scenes. I thought the conclusions presented in the epilogue were especially well-done and provided a fine ending.
Tony Pursel
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Epic Begins

Mr. Turney has again created a saga that I am sure will entertain with every book. He has managed to create an empire that reminds one of Rome in its glory yet is not Rome. I’m anxious to start the next book.
Neil Dawes
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

A very good story, loosely based on the fall of Rome. If you like historical fiction, although mostly fiction, this is a great read
Dimitrios
No time for a review. Simply amazing.
Tim
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that keeps you guessing until the end.
Bc27
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Military fantasy at its best

Based on the Roman model of legionnaires the story is one of loyalty, honor, betrayal, and good story telling with lots of bloody fighting of course.
Martelle
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valour and Honour

Tourney builds the depth of the characters with honour and mortals. Page turning story line. I highly recommend this series!
Jim Ward
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

It started a little slowly, but after sticking with it the story was worth the wait. I think your would enjoy it.
Ann Foulkes (Al)
This author does it again!

Transported out of the Marius Mules Rome, this yarn captures the traditions and honour of ancient history. Very realistic and believable. When does Book 2 arrive?
Eddie Grange
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Couldn't put it down!
The story weaves tangled web, mystery, thriller and fantasy all rolled into one
Well worth the time to read
Valerie
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Well written story with interesting characters. I like that it is part of a series but can also be read as a standalone story.
Liviu
Excellent military fantasy debut; set in a world similar with late Imperial Rome though with some notable differences, the novel takes place 20 years after the death of the last emperor Quintus who went mad, declared himself a God, was imprisoned by the Senate in his palace and died in an escape attempt engineered by his most loyal marshal Kiva Caerdin.

Later, General Caerdin shattered by the death of his Emperor and resting at his estates was caught in the war between the 3 remaining marshals a
Carol Kinsey
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interregnum

S.J.A. Turney, is a genius of a writer.
My husband picked this book and read it within a few days. Me, I take longer but although I thought this book started out a bit slow, as I read along it become a book that I couldn't stop reading.
Great book.
Lindsey Roberts
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original Review Here

As soon as I saw Interregnum was inspired by Roman culture and history, I had to read it. One thing to bear in mind: it’s a long book! It’s the first in a series by Turney.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It made me laugh, and made me cry. It kept me on the edge of my seat as you learn pretty early on that being one of the “good” guys isn’t a guarantee that you will survive the story.

It did, however, feel quite long-winded. There were chapters that could have been shortened, or
Lisa
This book was free on Amazon. I recently have been reading more Roman Fiction and I found that I really liked it. Anything historical for me is very good, as I love history. I found myself really liking the characters especially Kiva from the old Empire and all of his band of men, who had fought together in the Imperial Army before the empire fell.

I dont really go in for writing reviews on here as its not my thing, but one thing I can say is if you like this kind of genre then you will not be d
Karyl
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, nook-reads
I really, really, really liked this book. In the interest of full disclosure, Simon is a good friend of mine, so I admit I was a little nervous about reading his book. I mean, what if I hated it?!

I should never have worried. Roman(ish) history has never fascinated me the way it has Simon, but he brought that time period to life so vividly with an amazing amount of detail. It got to the point where I was surprised to find myself in the 21st century when I tore my eyes away from my nook.

His chara
Edward Rosenfeld
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This is my first read of Simon Turney, I can say in all honesty it won't be my last. Mr Turney loves his characters, it's totally obvious from the first page. He loves his stories as well. This is a take off on the Roman Empire...And at the same time it isn't. There are the Imperials and the Barbarians. Things are close to history but better and more interesting. Interregnum is the story of a fallen Empire and it's rebirth due in large part to the man who caused it's fall in the first place. Tha ...more
Mike
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently picked this up as an impulse buy and was intrigued at the whole historical fiction thing. Well, after reading it any chance I could over the next few days, I was hooked.

The pacing was excellent, never feeling like you were bogged down in lots of descriptions about inanimate objects but rather positioning you in the middle of a Web of intrigue, deception and conflicts!

The characters were for the most part relateable in their own way, though a few of the bit part characters did seem e
A.J. Armitt
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read by this author, and I have to say, he keeps getting better and better.

He is a gifted storyteller who serves up enough twists and turns to hold the interest and I found myself wanting to keep on turning the next page. Even though this is a substantial novel, I completed the last 50% of the book in one sitting. I really didn't want to put it down, it was that good!

If I had any complaint, it would be the odd typo here and there, but don't let that put you off a
Joanne Fish
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

This is a historical fiction with enough research about the fall of the empire and the Roman army during those times to make this an excellent read. If you like plots, twists and turns you'll appreciate what each character brings to the table. The characters themselves are likeable and interesting and you become involved with them. Except for the one person so many people have to overcome. There is intrigue, tactical battle planning and scheming. I very much enjoyed this book as it
KayW4
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Intriguing choice of setting and historical fantasy can be a wonderful genre, but I had two issues: the first one being that this read too much like a polished version of a self-published novel, and the second being that military fantasy just isn't my thing. So while the second issue obviously couldn't be helped and might be no problem for other readers, I think it's good to try to sustain quality standards enoug
Joe Corso
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent. It held my attention from beginning to end with a well constructed story line and interesting characters. The only negative in the book was the numerous typos but because the story was so interesting they were easy to overlook. I recommend this book for anyone interested in a story that takes place during Roman times, or for that matter for anyone interested in reading a good story period.
Pete
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a historical fiction reader I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy a sort of non fiction.Well boy was I wrong,although it closely resembeled a roman saga, once I got into the book I forgot all about that.The characters feel life like and the story line made me not want to put the book down.
So I would definitely recommend this book,so well done Mr Turney another good book.
Neil Williams
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely absorbing read, I'm not going to give book details out and spoil it for those not yet read it. but it's another fantastic book by Mr Turney, a real page turn from first to last, SJA Turney's writing style draws you deep into the book and characters, plenty of twist to keep you going until the end, roll on book 2, if it'd half as good it's a winner by an author on top of his game ...more
Book Promotions: Historical Fantasy e-Book giveaway 1 3 Jun 04, 2012 07:14AM

• The Canterbury Murders (Stanton & Barling, #3)
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Master of War, #7)
  • King in Waiting (Lord Edward's Archer, #2)
  • Fortress of Fury (The Bernicia Chronicles, #7)
  • Sons of Rome (Rise of Emperors #1)
  • Craven's War: A Call to Arms
  • Emperor of Rome (Vespasian, #9)
  • Scythian (The Thrice Named Man, #1)
  • The Nine (The Wolf of Corwick Castle #1)
  • Roxolani (The Thrice Named Man, #8)
  • The Battle for France (Struggle For a Crown Book 7)
  • Cross of Fire (Master of War, #6)
  • Lords of the Nile: An epic Napoleonic adventure of invasion and espionage (The William John Hazzard series Book 2)
  • Lord Edward's Archer
  • The Legions of the Mis
  • The Wall at the Edge of the World: An unputdownable adventure in the Roman Empire
  • Craven's War: Into the Fire
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Tales of the Empire (7 books)
  • Ironroot (Tales of the Empire #2)
  • Dark Empress (Tales of the Empire #3)
  • Insurgency (Tales of the Empire #4)
  • Emperor’s Bane (Tales of the Empire, #4.5)
  • Invasion (Tales of the Empire, #5)
  • Jade Empire (Tales of the Empire, #6)