Start by marking “Silver Deceptions (Restoration, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silver Deceptions (Restoration, #2)

Silver Deceptions

(Restoration #2)

In New York Times bestselling author Sabrina Jeffries’s classic, revised novel, originally written as Deborah Martin, London Theater’s newest actress is determined to find out secrets about her past.

Arriving in a cloak of mystery, London Theater’s newest actress, Annabelle Taylor, quickly became known as “The Silver Swan.” While she loved performing for her adoring
Published December 30th 2014 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Deceptions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Deceptions

Start your review of Silver Deceptions (Restoration, #2)
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I'm not enjoying this. I don't like the relationship between the leads; it just doesn't feel convincing. Colin gets jealous of Annabelle's supposed lovers the second he lays eyes on her. To make matters worse, there's a convenient excuse for her being a virgin. So every other actress is a whore and a wanton, and she's the only virgin one (though she cultivated the reputation of a wanton). She's also adamant about not bearing a bastard child, which is why she won't sleep with anyone, but the ...more
Desi
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The setting never quite felt like the 1600's. Characters never seemed, I guess, relatable would be the word. The maid was fun though. Portrayal of Buckingham suitably menacing . Emotional scenes were well-done, as were the scenes set in the theatre.

Heroine was on the 'meh' side. The revenge she concocted was rather juvenile (let me prance around and make him ashamed of me? Umm really? Sooo devastating indeed).

What actually happened was better, but on the whole a rather strange plot. Characters
Tracy Emro
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book!!

When I found out that Sabrina Jeffries wrote books under the pen name Deborah Martin, I was eager to check them out. I read By Love Unveiled and loved it - it was reminiscent of some of the older historicals I read when I was younger - and when I read about Colin in that book - I wanted more! I waited impatiently for this book to be released for kindle and it was so worth the wait!!!

Colin is my perfect hero - he is smart, sexy,
Anna Swedenmom
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Wonderful writing as usual. But something seems missing. It dragged and did not hold my interest the entire way through.
Cherna
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nope, I did not like this one. The plot was silly and I could not be bothered to read till the end for the 'big' conclusion about (view spoiler) A DNF for me.

It just didn't make sense. Not in a logical way and not in an emotional one.
When you set out to create a bad reputation to hurt your father while you are in the process of finding out who he actually is, what is the point of keeping it a secret? Why not let
bell
Decent book, though the last half of the book could have been better.
Heroines mother was left pregnant and alone. She ended up marrying a squire in order to give her child legitimacy.
The step father was abusive and the mother ends up killing him. She is arrested and hanged.
The heroine decides that she will seek out her real father and cause a scandal by becoming an actress. She takes on the name "silver swan" in order to draw him out, since that is the nickname her real father had.
The hero,
Shannon
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a fan. He uses her as a sex object to get her to reveal her secrets. What's romantic about that? She seems utterly silly to have fallen for it. And even when she does find out that he's been using her, she goes right back to him. There was also no pivotal moment in the story, it just told the story of two people lying to each other and making a mess out of things. Too many characters, with none of them being fleshed out and a few being utterly ridiculous sounding. They seemed more fit for a ...more
Pat Loop
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emotional roller coaster. Witty dialog and strong characters.
Annette Meier
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful sequel to "By Love Unveiled". Too bad there aren't more to the series.
Aly
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I read more than 20 Sabrina Jeffries' books before this one written under an other name. I can testify she can write historical romance really well and her writing style has improved with time, but I don't think this one will show how much she's talented.

This story begin with a heartbreaking scene. The heroine witness her mother's hanging. Annabelle's stepfather was beating her and her mom for so long that one day, her mother couldn't take it anymore and killed him. That's why she was sentenced
Stephanie
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
One of the good things, or not so good things about me, is that I can believe ANYTHING. I can suspend my belief for any story. I could not suspend my belief for this one.

Maybe romance stories aren't for me.

This was agonizing to get through.

Dare I say that Fifty Shades of Grey, the only other romance I read, was better?!

Let's start with the setting. Late 1600's London, England.
You could pick up all of these characters, and set them in ANY part of the world or time period, and it wouldn't make any
bdalli
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Of course, our heroine Annabelle, has a reason for coming to London to trod the boards. The early part of the novel give us a very chilling explanation of her reasons. Annabelle’s nickname of “The Silver Swan” has more implications than she originally thought, again we find this out very quickly. And then we dive into the story.

Colin and Annabelle were a charming, sexy and, at times, frustrating couple. Both to themselves and to the reader. I kept wanting to prod one or the other to just tell
Belinda
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that this was a very good book by one of my favorite authors. I have always enjoyed her older ones especially Storm Swept written under Deborah Martin (which I've read).
When first reading this, you will be surprised at the horrible fate of women during this time period. There was no real courts that only had a magistrate to reign over whatever the fate for those poor people. It was the tale of one woman who had killed her husband because she and her daughter were being abused.
Vikki Andrews
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
good
Bunga
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Barusan aja kelar baca buku ini hari ini. Sebenernya ada bumbu spionase tapi ga begitu kental. Jadi begini sinopsisnya. Diawali dari proses eksekusi ibunya Anabelle (nama heroine kita, bukan nama boneka horror ya) yang dihukum gantung karena menikam sampai tewas suaminya sendiri sekaligus ayah tirinya si anabelle. Anabelle pun berjanji pada dirinya sendiri utk balas dendam ke ayah biologisnya yang tega ninggalin ibunya saat ia mengandung dan akibatnya Anabelle mengalami nasib tragis begini. ...more
Karin
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: street-teams
Restoration Book Two

Annabelle was devastated by the hanging of her mother for the murder of her step-father. After suffering his abuse for years, she doesn't regret his death. Now she is looking for revenge against her biological father for abandoning her mother in the first place, but she has to find him first. The only clue she has is a poem he had her mother deliver signed "The Silver Swan." She set herself up as an actress known as the Silver Swan with his surname "Maynard" to draw him out.
Jane
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-mystery
Silver Deceptions was written under the name Deborah Martin, but it has Sabrina Jeffries all over it! I was drawn to Annabelle and felt her sorrow and heart break at the beginning of the book, then pleasure and passion at the end. Her plan is to pretend to be a London actress to draw out the man who deserted her mother. Annabelle has a letter from that man calling himself the “Silver Swan” and she uses it as a stage name. Colin Jeffreys is sent to discover her true identity and purpose. Is she a ...more
JPerceval
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabrina Jeffries is well known for her best-selling Regency era novels, and I'm thrilled to report that she does just as thorough a job with the Restoration era, which is considerably more rare in historical romance. The setting was true to the history, and the story itself was extremely absorbing.

Read the full review here.
Tonileg
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
Historical English romance set in London with some spy stuff.
Two bastards find love and legitimacy when Lord Colin Jeffreys, Marquis of Hampden is sent to investigate the new and popular 'Silver Swan' actrice, Miss Annabelle Taylor. Lots of secrets from the past come out when Annabelle searches for her biological father.
Fun historical read.
384 pages and borrowed
3 stars
Alex
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such as great book! I love the sexual chemistry and overall plot! Wonderful!!

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Becky
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-shelf
While I respected the perseverance of the female characters, I did not think that this book showcased Jeffries' talents that made her one of my beloved romance writers. Read this when you have read everything else she has written; simply just to satisfy your curiosity!
Heather
Always did enjoy Sabrina's books and this was no exception. even though it was a reprint it was still good and worth the read. it had strong willed characters and story lines that you could follow easily and kept you guessing at points. good read
Meredith
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is your classic historical spy romance novel set in 1600's English theatre. It is slightly steamy and has mild language.
Shireen Reed
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well done

I just enjoy reading her books. Well thought out characters and intriguing stories. Well enjoyed book. Bring on more soon.
Jenny
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
good
Julie Martinez
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did like this story, I love the royal historical figures
Veronica
Feb 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I found the writing, particularly the characters' conversations, to be fairly clumsy. Also the whole plot felt generally unexplored. At one point I even forgot about the whole revenge thing.
Patti Irwin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting to read a romance in the restoration rather than the regency setting. Still, not my favorite. I think I prefer this author writing as Sabrina Jeffries.
Cindy
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 15, 2015 06:37PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Silver Deceptions by Sabrina Jeffries 1 16 Jan 04, 2015 09:24AM

• The Art of Sinning (Sinful Suitors, #1)
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • The Study of Seduction (Sinful Suitors, #2)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
  • A Notorious Vow (The Four Hundred, #3)
  • In the Prince's Bed (Royal Brotherhood, #1)
  • The School for Heiresses Series: Never Seduce a Scoundrel, Only a Duke Will Do, Beware a Scot's Revenge and an excerpt from To Wed a Wild Lord
  • If the Viscount Falls (The Duke's Men, #4)
  • At the Christmas Wedding
  • The Pleasures of Passion (Sinful Suitors, #4)
  • A Scandalous Deal (The Four Hundred, #2)
  • Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • The Danger of Desire (Sinful Suitors, #3)
  • 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6; The Duke's Men, #0.5)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
Pseudonym of Sabrina Jeffries, under which she wrote eight historical romance novels, Moonlight Enchantment, Creole Nights, By Love Unveiled, Silver Deceptions, Dangerous Angel, Stormswept, Windswept, and Creole Bride, and contributed to two anthologies, A Dance with the Devil, and One Night with a Rogue.

Restoration (2 books)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)