Start by marking “The Quick” as Want to Read:
The Quick

The Quick (Jimmy Miles #1)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Private investigator Jimmy Miles works the Hollywood nights. His new client is the desperate daughter of a dead man. Her father was executed for a long-ago murder--and she wants Jimmy to find out the truth about the crime and the real killer's identity. But this case isn't the only mystery keeping Jimmy up at night.

The shadowy world Jimmy inhabits is full of secrets, sha
Published May 25th 2004 by Jove (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Quick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick

Daelith
May 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Dave
I would not have picked this up from the shelf, but a family member brought me a copy.

Only 40 pages in and I am impressed. Vining has a unique style of writing where things are discribed very vividly with interesting comparisons. He sometimes lingers on details that others would omit, but that made me feel like I was observing the scenes he was writing about.

Character development is well-done. The main character has mystery associated with him while minor characters are instantly discribed so we
Andrea
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a private eye book with a supernatural twist. Private investigator Jimmy Miles works the Hollywood nights. His new client is the desperate daughter of a dead man. Her father was executed for a long-ago murder-and she wants Jimmy to uncover the truth about the crime and the real killer's identity. A well written noir story with an interesting mystery, fascinating characters and a really cool woo woo element. The story did leave some unanswered questions which I hope may be answered in anothe ...more
Samie Foster
Not to going to really rate this, b/c its not fair to rate something when I haven't read the whole thing. But of what I've read, the book is lacking characters of any interest, boring, slow, and jumps around without warning with no explanation of a new setting leaving the reader confused. It might take turn for the better in the second half. Or maybe the writing style isn't for me and I just couldn't grasp the meaning of the words like I should. But like I said, no real rating here. Just more of ...more
Ryan
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fascinating book that reads like an epic poem. Beautiful descriptions of a world that you never know how quite to respond to it. All the while reading the book I couldn't decided if I loved it or loathed it. The first thing I did when i finished the book was tell someone else they should read it. If you are looking for a supernatural type book with flowing descriptions that do not spoon feed you the details of the world or the people in it this this should be an easy must read for ...more
Maurean
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I liked this noir mystery story. I enjoyed Vining's writing style; it put me in the mind of the old Marlowe-type PI's...you know, the dim, grimy office; the dame with long gams and sad story....but, the supernatural overlay of the "sailors', while an interesting storyline in its own right, just didn't 'gel' with the'feel' of the storyline.

Still, it held my interest enough to read it all the way through,...so, that's something
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
How many noir writers do you know that come with their own Poetry Fellowship at Stanford? Vining certainly has writing chops, and his prose is delicious. The meld of SF with the mystery is less successful, largely because Vining pulls his punches, underexplaining his world and its rules, leading to a less-than-satisfying conclusion of the Huh?What? variety. Still, full points for style.
Dan Gray
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The first sentence captured me, and from there I just let myself be carried along. Mr. Vining is as adept with telling a story, as he is with setting the mood. Add to that the fascination of the characters he has created, and you have a very enjoyable read. I've read this novel more than once, and each time it's like returning to visit with an old friend.
Rebecca
Sep 04, 2008 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was a hard book to read. The story line sounded rather interesting, the main character was absolutely fascinating, but the writing was terrible. The story went nowhere in a hurry and i wanted nothing more than to know what the hell was actually going on. Very vague on that point.
Steven
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read, horror
This was a very nicely done supernatural detective tale. The private investigator has a secret of his own, and it's unique. No he's not a werewolf, a vampire, or a witch. The writing is very good and the character's memorable.
Beth
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not sure what I think. I kept waiting for this book to really go somewhere for me, but it didn't. I liked the lead character....he was mysterious and I never really understood what he was. The ending for me was really thrown together and I totally lost interest in the final pages.
Discfan2
Good writing style, but the book was vague on plot and answers.
Miriam
Dec 08, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
Once again, my library possesses the SEQUEL but not the first book.
Pam