Start by marking “Java 8 in Action” as Want to Read:
Java 8 in Action

Java 8 in Action

Java 8 in Action is a clearly written guide to the new features of Java 8. The book covers lambdas, streams, and functional-style programming. With Java 8's functional features you can now write more concise code in less time, and also automatically benefit from multicore architectures. It's time to dig in!
Published August 2014 by Manning Publications Co. (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Java 8 in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java 8 in Action

Java 8 in Action by Raoul-Gabriel UrmaCreate an Uber Clone in 7 Days by Shai AlmogEffective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochOptimizing Java by Benjamin J. EvansOOP Concepts Booster  by Rakesh Singh
Mastering Java
23 books — 5 voters
Effective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochThinking in Java by Bruce EckelJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJava Cookbook by Ian F. DarwinJava in a Nutshell by David Flanagan
JAVA
20 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Java 8 in Action
Christian Roman Rua
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book to take your first steps on Java 8.
The language had a great deal of changes for this version that when you read code written in Java 8 and you re not aware about Lambdas and Streams, it will seem a different language than the old good Java.
I recommend this book to any programmer that likes to keep himself updated with the new things that Java has to offer nowadays; there are many interesting and easy to understand examples that will make your reading and learning experience quite smoo
Stanley Kubasek
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good java book. A bit wordy, one of the best java books out there. Great coverage on all new java8 features.
Michael Koltsov
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely, I want to purchase a book I've read as a hard copy. I wanted to buy this book badly.

Only after checking the cost of this book in Poland I realized that at a price of yearly subscription to Safari Books buying a huge pile of dead wood is not wise enough for me.

I had a huge gap in my Java experience due to the fact that I've made a switch to Scala and then to other languages most of them had nothing to do with JVM. Javascript, Ruby, Python, GO... you name it, I was paid to write in it most
Pat Wanjau
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This is a great book for anyone who has previous understanding of Java below 8. It's focused on working with both Object Oriented Programming and Functional Programming. Parts 1 - 3 cover the new features of the language while the fourth is about functional programming. For those who have experience in Scala, the examples in this section are for both Java and Scala.
I've been using Java in my day to day activities since the year 2010. This book has now introduced me to the functional world with J
Zbyszek Sokolowski
The book is pretty decent. It differs from chapter to chapter. Yes it couldbe better, some parts are very good and makes good reading and education while some examples are too convoluted and academic. I think that the book would be better if provided examples would be even easier. Those should be less showing authors brilliance and more didactic. I think that questionable is to move description of new Java features to appendix and instead of it discuss Scala. I like chapters regarding Completabl ...more
Xanan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Complete, accurate and comprehensive.

This is not a book on Java programming that happens to describe Java 8 features as well.
It focuses only on Java 8 new features and Java programming expected.

Streams and lambda expressions take up most of the book but interface default methods, the new Date/Time API, Optional and CompletableFuture are also discussed adequately.
Topics are introduced gently and discussed comprehensively and thoroughly.
Jean Tessier
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
I had been coding in Groovy for the previous 10 years and I needed to get up to speed on the new Java idioms, like lambdas and streams.

The book does a good job of covering the Stream API and how it benefit from lambdas and method references. I like how it can infer the functional interface of a lambda expression based on context (see Figure 3.5 on page 67). It is an interesting alternative to the more loosely typed approach in Groovy.

I find it interesting how streams use a lazy implementation an
Gediminas
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Great for novices to read, good for professionals to flip through

I have a good command of Java 8 features, so I flipped through the parts I knew already (which seemed well explained) - took me several hours to read at most.

It seems like a good intro to functional style Java, as well as other new features introduced in Java 8.
A significant part is also dedicated to functional programming style in Java and Scala languages, as well as likely language features to come in future releases - these part
Miloš Milivojević
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Even though I've been working with Java 8 for some 2 years (almost 3 if you count playi g around with the developer preview version) I still found this book to be an excellent guide to working with Java 8. There's lots of great examples and in-depth explanations of all the inner workings of both lambdas and streams. The author is also a convincing FP evangelist, making me want to return to learning Scala again.
Daniel Dent
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I can't help but think this book could've been easier to grasp with better flow. For example, Functional Interfaces are never really dived into making Streams much harder to understand. I for sure learned a lot with this book but there must be better book out there on Java 8.
Marcin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Completely unnecessary are chapters about Scala - even though they are extremely informative.
Krishna Chaitanya
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent material, if you want to have a good grasp of Java 8 features in one book then this is it.
I've seriously wanted to learn java 8's Lamda features because it introduced functional style programming in Object-Oriented Java, I've completed few online courses on Java 8 though they were good but not in-depth.

That missing feeling is vanished after reading this book. The concepts are clearly explained with detailed examples also by stating and explaining underlying design and classes.

This book
Daren Thomas
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was informative and technically sound with a nice mix of explanation and examples. Personally I liked that the code listings were large enough to illustrate the topic, but not so large they needed to be separate from the book. Sometimes it's nice to have everything in one place (i.e. on the paper in front of you). Overall it was well written and has earned a place on my reference shelf.

My only (minor) complaint is that the book is a little verbose at times. I found that a little ironi
Akash Goel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most engaging text on a programming language that I've read. The authors present a lot of use cases and give simple examples, making it blissfully simple to understand the concepts of Java 8 to even beginner Java programmers like me. I would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone who's a programmer, but new to Java.
Lukasz
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive and easy to read introduction to Java 8 and couple other features that were introduced lately. Great for people actually know Java, but want to update their knowledge with stuff that every Java developer should know.
Anna
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great explanation of streams, lambdas, optionals and completable futures. Would highly recommend as a brief introduction to functional programming. Also great for anyone willing to catch up on one of the most important updates for the Java language.
Dariusz Mydlarz
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though Java 8 is with us for a couple of years it is still worth to go deeper into details. This book is a great resource to do so. I mostly liked the chapter about parallel data processing and performance.
David Miller
I read the earlier edition of this book, which was titled "Java 8 in Action". This edition covers some topics from Java 9, and expands coverage of reactive programming. Overall a pretty good introduction to the language, concentrating on streams, lambdas, and functional-style programming.
Yazan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very balanced coverage of Java 8 features, not to shallow to be useless for an experienced developer but not too deep that it becomes a book about functional programming or concurrency.
Michał
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programmer
Very good introduction to Java8, easy to read. Written in a convenient way, I was not hammered with pure theoretical definitions, but get good examples. I recommend this position.
Andrzej Szelemetko
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hands-on introduction to the new Java 8 features. Beginning with lambadas and going all the way through each new concept, including streams, optionals, default methods, completable future, new date api. Each concept is well explained and compared to 'the old way' of coding. There is a dedicated chapter showing how to refactor existing pre-Java 8 code using the new Java features.

This book is not recommended for someone who just starts his adventure with programming. It's good to have some worki
Rituraj Gupta
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
just interesting story description and basic concept explained very well.
Valery Lukin
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that describes all java 8 new features in really good and approachable way. Recommend it to anyone who wants to clear all the gaps of java 8 they have right now.
Hosein
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can only recommend this book. The best book for the ones who want to jump into Java 8+ features. With lots of examples and we'll described.
Loved it
Nomad
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: en, tech
This book is great in a way it covers all major java8 features in great detail. My favorite chapters were the ones in appendix: how java8 implements the new features under the hood. I wish there was more of that in the book, and less of "you do not need to understand it just yet".
Akash Jain
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Hussein Elsayed
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really nice book that I recommend everyone who uses Java 8, 9 to read to understand the motivation behind the new features added in Java 8, 9, ... and a decent comparison between Java and other functional style languages such as Scala.

The chapters are actually ordered in a way where you always feel that you want to read more, and if you are an experienced Java developer, you will be surprised how fast you will finish this book and enjoy every single part of it.

Kudos to the authors and their wr
Prakash
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, comp-sci
A comprehensive overview of Java 8. Covers small things like CompletableFuture and Optionals which made me pick this up.

However when it comes to slightly more complex topics, I think you can find better explanations elsewhere. For example the method references topic was explained better by Venkat Subramaniam in an online talk. (so probably in his book as well)

The examples could have been better. They were dull and very uninteresting.
Gábor László Hajba
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Although it took me a year to finish this book I think it was worth it.

Actually this isn't a book you will read cover-to-cover. But you can look-up new concepts in Java 8 (like Optionals, functional-style programming, streams and so on). Even if Java 9 is likely coming out in a year, you can use this book in the future to understand concepts introduced here.
Ytalo Borja Mori
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is great, I love the way the cover Java 8, being a developer only in 6 and 7 and afraid to touch 8, I can surely tell you embrace the power of 8 and the upcoming 9,10.
This book traverses main Java 8 functionalities and make good comparisons with software patterns and other "trending" language programming.

• Effective Java
  • Spring Boot in Action
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Scala for the Impatient
  • Just Spring
  • OCP: Oracle Certified Professional Java Se 8 Programmer II Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-809

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »