Start by marking “Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2

Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2

(Thor Visionaries)

Few people have ever left their mark on one character quite the way Walter Simonson has. His work on the Mighty Thor swept the Norse God of Thunder to heights never before seen and rarely achieved since. Spanning epic tales of heroism and treachery, love and war, Simonson's work is often considered the definitive Thor. From the majesty and mystery of Asgard to the gritty s ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Thor Visionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor Visionaries

Dan Schwent
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-comics, 2019
A dark elf named Malekith seeks The Casket of Ancient Winters, which is in the hands of a mortal named Eric Willis. Can Thor prevent Malekith from getting the Casket and releasing his master, Surtur, on Midgard?

Thor by Walter Simonson, Volume 2 contains issues 346 to 355 of Simonson's revered run on Thor. And it's pretty spectacular.

I'll get my one gripe out of the way first: this book is stuffed to the gills with long-winded Asgardian dialogue.

Now that that's out of the way, this was, as I sai
Brad
I feel like reviewing each issue as I go, so here goes.

Thor #349 -- "Debts of Honour": One of my favourite things about Simonson's time on The Mighty Thor is that the comic is really just an excuse to play around in Asgard. Thor always makes an obligatory appearance, but he isn't always the most important character. This issue casts Odin in the lead, as he recounts the tale of how he and his brothers, Vili & Ve, stumbled into Muspellsheim, pissed off the fire demon Surtur, shattered Surtur's
mercedes
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, thor, 4-stars, marvel, comics
3.5/5
This volume was a lot weaker than the first. Thor became less of a main character from the start of Simonson’s run but he feels like he’s not even in this...like he’s a sideline character for Beta Ray Bill and the annoying Roger Willis who, for some reason, thinks he can solve all with his gun and the military when he’s literally fighting alongside gods. Whatever!
The highlight of this volume, for me, was Karnilla and Balder. Their scenes together were by far the most interesting and I look
Μιχάλης
To κόμικ αυτό το ανοίγεις και από μέσα από τις σελίδες ξεχύνεται epic metal μουσική. Και όταν λέω epic metal, δεν εννοώ Europower φλωριές αλλά τουλάχιστον Manowar.
Συνεχίζει από εκει που τελειώνει ο πρώτος τόμος με το Ragnarok & Roll όπου οι θεοί της Aasgard πολεμούν τις ορδές του δαίμονα της φωτιάς Surtur. Επική ιστορία, πολύ μακριά από τα συνηθισμένα υπερηρωικά κολάν (θυμίζει βέβαια τα πιο κοσμικά κόμιξ του Jack Kirby) γεμάτη με συναισθήματα, αλλά και με όλα εκείνα τα απαρχαιωμένα gimick (π
Sesana
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Huge fun. Most of the book is taken up with the final battle against Surtur, and it's fantastic. Gigantic battle scenes, huge casts of recognizable characters, the works. This part of the book was great. The Lorelei subplot finally gets resolved, thank goodness, because it was really becoming a drag on the book. Interesting how Simonson made Thor a supporting character in his own book, which is fine by me. This version of Thor is... less than bright, and characters like Beta Ray Bill and Sif mak ...more
Adam Spanos
This trade starts with a war between Asgardians Surtur. After that war ends then some smaller scale stories begin. Personally I enjoyed the smaller scale stuff much more than the Surtur material. For some reason I got bored of the underdrawn and overdone demonic army, and the whole war just dragged on. I hate to call it Simonson's worst material, but it was the least entertaining. Luckily after that ends, some great great material follows.

If I were to Grade Plotlines:

Surtur Vs. Asgard & Eart
Brook
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I've read the Surtur Saga, and I really enjoyed it. The build up and ultimate confrontations reminded me of the American Gothic story arc in the Swamp Thing.
Certainly seems that some of Simonson's content here effected the recent Thor: Raganarok movie.
Ninon
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
An awefully lot of blah-blah dialog - mostly the heroes telling out loud verything they do (in speach bubbles - not thought-bubbles!!), once did, and will do and how great they are and how no-one match them. In turn the foes tell every plan they have, out loud..
This becomes rather tedious to read after a short while..

Having said that, this is one of the better "old" Thor stories.. and it's fun to read and does have some humour here and there, - and haven seen the "Thor - the Dark World" movie..
Gavin
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Classic Marvel, Thor at his Asgardian battle best. I think there's a good likelihood that some of this storyline was appropriated/borrowed/inspiration for the Avengers movie. Which either means Joss Whedon is very up on his Marvel, or someone wisely directed him there. I think the former most likely. It's also interesting as one of the weapons that appears here (mid 1980s) is later put to important use during the Siege storyline (late 2000s). Thor here is getting a little more fleshed out than h ...more
Andrew
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first three issues are taken up by a super-dull MacGuffin hunt, but after that, things get really, really good. All the Asgardians team up with Beta Ray Bill, The Avengers, and the Fantastic Four to fight a Lord-of-the-Rings-sized battle against Surtur and his fire demons. Simonson juggles the action between multiple locales and POV characters, and gives everybody a compelling subplot in between all the delightful punching and smashing. Best of all, Simonson knows that a gigantic multi-front ...more
Dan
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, comics
I'm not even at the halfway point of Simonson's run on Thor, and it already feels like an epic. I'm especially enjoying Beta Ray Bill's first adventures, a character I've loved since I first discovered him in the 90's Silver Surfer series.
I left the most recent Thor film disappointed that they still have yet to introduce Balder The Brave into the movie universe, and these two volumes have made me miss his presence even more. I suppose adding a third sibling to the mix of Thor and Loki may make t
Pedro Souza
I've read issues 337 - 353, through the MU app. This is a review of all this issues, also known as The Surtur Saga.

Simonson's Thor starts off explosive, with the introduction of Beta Ray Bill right in the first issue. It's nice to see Thor's insecurity with the arrival of someone who's also worthy and Bill is a great character himself. However, after he is gone (Issue #340), the book really goes downhill. Thor becomes completely unidimensional and his new civil identity (Simonson gets rid of Don
Al Gritten
Simonson continues the intricate and well developed story line he begins in the first volume and introduces a few surprises as the forces of Asgard battle an eternal who can bring the nine realms to an end. The return of Beta Ray Bill and the epic battle for Asgard and Midgard along with plot twists, betrayals, and sacrifice lead frame by frame to a tantalizing ending. The art is good and augments a great story.
John
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the peak of the greatest run on Thor. The apocalyptic build of volume 1 is unleashed through volume 2. The word epic gets tossed around too much so there simply are no words left. Simonson continued making big changes that would not be undone for ages. Throughout there is a boldness of panel layout and artwork that seems impossible to sustain.
Avril
To get around my vow not to buy any books in 2018, I cunningly bought this copy as a gift for a friend and read it very carefully to keep it as pristine as possible. It is as good as volume one; I’m loving this run on Thor.
ISMOTU
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Continues to be amazing. And looks great with the original colouring rather than the digital "facelift" the first volume underwent. Some really great little easter eggs alongside a solid storyline and incomparable art.
B
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Perfectly fine. It seems like this must be a crazy big story in the history of Thor, but it also seems like a story that recurs.

There isn't that much charge to the whole thing, except in the epilogue
Lonnie Webb
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful collection.

The art and story Walt Simonson brings to the pages are as timeless as they ever were. This calls for a diet mead!
Ondra Král
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nejlepší Thor, co jsem četl. Jedinej problém jsem měl s osmdesátkovou ukecaností, snad na každým panelu je bublina - ale to je daň doby.
4,5*
Scott Lee
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Thor stories are always more focused around Asgard then Earth. Simonson does a marvel here with the climax of the Surtur story that he'd been building from the first page of his run. The movement off Earth and into the Science-Fiction/Fantasy realms of Faerie, Asgard, and Muspelheim, the use of a wonderful combination of what Simonson himself terms Marvel and Norse Mythology--and ooooohhhhh that art! I remember seeing Simonson books when I was first collecting almost thirty years ago an ...more
James
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The culmination in the second volume of Simonson's "Thor Visionaries" series isn't as strong as the buildup in the first. Earth is at risk of being wiped out by a massive demonic horde, but the scale of the action renders it beyond disbelief. Millions of monsters pour out over Manhattan, but our heroes escape unscathed, robbing the showdown of the tension the story had built so well.

Still, it's not bad. The characterization and art are solid, and Simonson does a good job balancing a large cast.
Miles
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Jack Kirby's work on Thor gave him an incredible outlet for his creativity. Somehow he combined his vision of the Norse gods with an element of science fiction, with Asgard sitting somewhere in outer space at the end of the Rainbow Bridge. On top of that, he added original characters and outfits and costumes that were truly unique and original. Few artists have lived up to Kirby's originality and artistic genius for Thor, but Simonson has arguably come the closest. This is the second volume in t ...more
Sam Poole
Fun, dramatic, full of great characters and great character moments and truly outstanding art, sound effects and lettering. Issue #355 with Thor and his great grandfather was moving. The whole
Battle with Surtur is a climax to a story building since we first met Beta Ray Bill. the hordes of
Demons, stories from Odin (about basically
Merging into a mech with his brothers!!!), Sif
And Beta Ray Bill returning, a resolution to Donald Blake, the avenging trio of Loki, Odin and Thor five these stories a
j_ay
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Continuing on with the original issues from 1984 and 1985 (#s 349-359), with Walt Simonson heading toward and passing his first year on Thor: writing, penciling and inking. Expanding story arcs he’s peppered in the past issues, sometimes just a panel or page at a time (something not practiced these days in the dreaded “writing for the trade” format).
Workman’s outstanding lettering and Simonson’s solid storytelling throughout.
Comics are rarely this good these days.
And I don’t even like Thor.
Alex Sarll
Wonderful fun, interspersed with moments of genuine pathos, from the era when superhero comics were just starting to become readable (though traces of the bad old days of exposition and recap remain). I wish the recent film, in using Dark Elf monarch and prick Malekith, had also retained the idea here that his base is in that mystical realm, "the Cotswolds of England". They were filming in Britain anyway, after all.
Rick
Walter Simonson continues his revolutionary run on Thor with this collected volume. Simonson's tenure pumped an enormous amount of energy and vitality into a tired staple of the Marvel Universe. His vision of the character and the other denizens of Asgard infused Norse mythology and legend into the series and the excitement that his presence left on the title had not been felt since the classic days of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.
Sophie
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but this? Is condensed AWESOME. The first issues collected in this book are truly, truly epic, leading up to a universe-saving battle, of course, and the latter issues deal with the fall-out and have so many humorous and beautiful moments that I can't count them all. And if that weren't enough, there are also *love spells*. Absolutely fantastic. I can't recommend this enough.
Jason
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, can see why Walt Simonson's run on this title is held in high esteem. The tories are grand, epic and layered which is ideal for the son of Odin and the Asgardians and his artwork is amazing giving scale to his epic battles.
Aaron Jorgensen-Briggs
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a close approximation of the lot of Thor comics I just got on ebay, to replace the childhood favorites that I stupidly lost during a "wandering the earth/giving away personal possessions" phase.

Just try and pry these comics from my mighty Norwegian hands.
Angela
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Asqard faces one of its most fearsome foes. In the aftermath of battle, Thor and co have to cope with the consequences. This is really one long story about battle, loss and friendship. Loki even comes out well in it. You get to meet another relative of Thor, and Beta Ray Bill returns. A good read.
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 2
  • Thor, by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 2
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1
  • Avengers: Under Siege
  • Thor: God of Thunder, Volume 2: Godbomb
Walter "Walt" Simonson is an American comic book writer and artist. After studying geology at Amherst College, he transferred to the Rhode Island School of Design, graduating in 1972. His thesis project there was The Star Slammers, which was published as a black and white promotional comic book for the 1974 World Science Fiction Convention in Washington, D.C. (DisCon II). Some years later, he prod ...more

Thor Visionaries (6 books)
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 3
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 4
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 5
  • Thor Visionaries: Mike Deodato Jr.