Start by marking “The Linnet's Tale” as Want to Read:
The Linnet's Tale

The Linnet's Tale

"Share the romance, drama, and adventure of small-town life among the mice of Tottensea Burrows -- as told by a very entertaining bird In the garden of an English cottage live the lovable, highly literate field mice of Tottensea Burrows -- Peebles Carryforth the Mayor; Opportune Baggs, the inventor; the Fieldpea family with their three beautiful daughters, Grenadine, Alman ...more
Published March 26th 2002 by Touchstone Books

To ask other readers questions about The Linnet's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Linnet's Tale

Amanda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This was whimsical and bookish, but otherwise not very remarkable compared to similar anthropomorphic animal stories. This story is reliant upon the charm of the characters' names and their emphasis on reading and mousebooks. In fact, we learn the fates of the characters in the epilogue based on book titles, authors and descriptions. Whilst clever, I didn't think this was very special. That being said, I can absolutely see this being a wonderful book to read with a child.
Jessica
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
My Amazon review: While written (and marketed) with the intention of bringing to mind other allegorical, borderline genre, talking animal stories (like Wind in the Willows or Watership Down), The Linnet's Tale will not make it as a perennial favorite. While the mice names and a few literary references are cute, the overall story is rather dull with very little tension being formed within the plot. Most of the book is given over to introducing and reintroducing the residents of Tottensea Burrows ...more
GoldGato
Tottensea Burrows. This is the name of the village where some very enterprising mice live. These are mice of the merchant persuasion, running bookstores, tea shops, and boardinghouses. Their story is told by a bird who has been adopted by the little rodent community and it makes for a charming read.

The introductions of each mouse family goes on a bit, but it all comes together in the final third act, as pirates and hidden treasures come into play. The story zooms along from there, as the danger
Lauren
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-books
This short book is set like a Brian Jacques book (like Redwall, Mattimeo, Mossflower). The tale is told by a "linnet" or a red house finch, who lives with mice in a place called Tottensea Burrows. The book reads a collection of short stories about the place and its resident mice. The ending chapters connect more, and feel more like a novel. Overall entertaining, I found myself smiling because the mice can be funny... but don't expect it to be hilarious. A good, light summer read.
Mardi D
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Honestly, I only got about 2/3 of the way through and decided that I had wasted enough of my time. There are cute parts in the book as other reviewers have mentioned but cuteness was not enough to drag me through to the end and I did find it was dragging. I found myself wanting to skip past sections that were not holding my interest but stuck to reading each page in the thought that it had to get better. It didn't. Too bad, as I kept it in my home library for more than 10 years until I finally c ...more
Helen
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
In the garden of an English cottage live the lovable, highly literate field mice of Tottensea Burrows--Peebles Carryforth the Mayor; Opportune Baggs, the inventor; the Fieldpea family with their three beautifuldaughters, Grenadine, Almandine, and Incarnadine; the widow Proserpine Pockets and her young son Farnaby; and Merchanty Swift, the bold mouse who becomes the hero of The Linnet's Tale.

Brokenhearted when his beloved Pleasings Tatterstraw runs away with a charming French mouse, Merchanty, a
Leah
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Thinking this would be a simple read about the little lives of some mice who lived in a glen, I was rather surpirsed when it turned out to be a difficult piece of literature. The author is an english teacher. Although a sort of cute story, I was bored, and needed to look up a lot of words.
Christy J-Furem
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet and charming set of stories that are very reminiscent of "The Wind in the Willows." It's light-hearted with an intelligent vocabulary and likable characters. A great read for adults and children.
Rachel
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am ecstatic that I had a chance to get my hands on this book. Willard's style has echoes of Beatrix Potter, C.S. Lewis, and Jane Austen, and his novel is one of the most delightful books I have ever read.
Hope
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the style of Wind in the Willows, this is a lovely, whimsical tale of a community of mice. The writing is charming and the characters are well-developed. I especially loved the family who ran the bookstore. Delightful!
Harajyuku
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Exceedingly whimsical. This description sadly extends to its relationship with plot, which it lets go and lays hold of at intervals. A lot of quaint characters in a narrative that skips between charming and cloying.
Diane
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a charming adult fantasy tale of a village of mice (and an adopted finch) who have a wonderful way with words.
Kyra
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Charming, but not cloyingly charming. I think I must have needed some charm, because I thoroughly enjoyed this short sweet mouse tale, narrated by a very empathetic linnet.
Leslie
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a charmer!
Victoria
Nov 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any one who loves words :)
I really enjoyed this Book ! It was written very well ,I loved the authors style and use of language.
It painted a beautiful word picture !
Sara
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute little fairy tale.
Marjorie
Feb 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
Even though I never aspired to the lofty position as "Children's Librarian".... Only having been the lowly assistant, I STILL am a children's librarian at heart!! Thus the desire to read this book!!
Sarah Morrison