Start by marking “Influence: Science and Practice” as Want to Read:
Influence: Science and Practice

Influence: Science and Practice

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  56,966 Ratings  ·  2,176 Reviews
Narrative writing is combined with scholarly ideas in this examination of the psychology of compliance (ie uncovering which factors cause one person to say yes to another's request). By combining evidence from two relevant, but very different arenas - the realm of controlled research and the working world of influence professionals - this book looks at this issue in terms ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 253 pages
Published October 1st 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Influence, please sign up.

Elizabeth I read this book for pleasure. Psychology and consumer behavior is incredibility fascinating to me. I've done really well in sales and still saw this…moreI read this book for pleasure. Psychology and consumer behavior is incredibility fascinating to me. I've done really well in sales and still saw this book as an asset! It's written in a conversational tone (on purpose I'm sure), and the examples are spot on! Ha, I LOVE the consistency theory's survey example. Anyways, it was the #1 recommended book on Amazon in consumer behavior. I'm curious to know if anyone would recommend a better book. Bottom line, I think everyone should read this book to be aware of these techniques. Applying some of these theories well enough could be dangerous…seriously. (less)
Bill Yeadon Well after all these years Cialdini has written a follow up (Yes not included).
Pre-suasion can be considered a continuation but it is really about how…more
Well after all these years Cialdini has written a follow up (Yes not included).
Pre-suasion can be considered a continuation but it is really about how to set up the persuasion with particular questions that prime the person.
It is a great book but as I think Influence may be one of the best books ever written I can't put it in the same category.(less)

Sundeep
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This book can’t be summarized. It can only be very, very strongly recommended.

Recommended? YES. Buy it now if you haven’t read it.

Table of contents:
5 Liking: The Friendly Thief
6 Authority: Directed Deference
7 Scarcity: The Rule of the Few

Notes:
Below are my key takeaways and some interesting points, but I’m telling you. Buy it. Read it. Tru
Pouting Always
Another one of those business books where it's a good read if you haven't read any others from the same genre but with the same basically formula where they keep repeating information that can be condensed down into a few pages and which every other business book will tell you but of course they'll rephrase it. If you haven't ever thought much about the influence of the way you talk to people and vice versa I'm sure this can be very eye opening. If you're pretty self aware or have contemplated h ...more
Gina
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why so many people rated this book so highly.

--It panders to the audience by using overly simple language and repeating the same idea 5 times to make sure that the reader really understood. Example (from memory): "People are heavily influenced by society. Society shapes our choices. Our choices are influenced by the people around us. There are countless examples of one's choices being swayed by his or her peers." Thanks, I got it the first time.

--The first and second "weapons
Shishir
Six "weapons of influence"

1)Reciprocation - People tend to return a favor. Thus, the pervasiveness of free samples in marketing. In his conferences, he often uses the example of Ethiopia providing thousands of dollars in humanitarian aid to Mexico just after the 1985 earthquake, despite Ethiopia suffering from a crippling famine and civil war at the time. Ethopia had been reciprocating for the diplomatic support Mexico provided when Italy invaded Ethopia in 1937.

2)Commitment and Consistency - I
Jerry
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put this book under "dangerous knowledge." Cialdini, still a top consultant in this field, has a tiny disclaimer at the end of the book saying how he's aware that this knowledge could be misused, but doesn't go much further.

I see this stuff abused all the time, to spin democracies to go to war, to sell us products and services we don't really need and much, much more.

I've been wanting to start an ethics institute around this topic. Interested? Write me!
Mark Cheverton
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, marketing
Required reading for all marketing professionals. The book details the most common approaches to influencing the decisions of others, backed up by the authors time spent infiltrating direct marketing companies and the like. Offers handy hints on how to spot when you're being manipulated and how to handle it.

A very enjoyable read, should leave you much more aware of how you're being played next time you're in the market for a used car.
John Spillane
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooked
Not a runaway train of rapturousness like 1776, Moneyball, or Outliers but like Anna Karenina it seems to encompass all of life and address all of life's important issues.

I would recommend this to anyone and will definitely listen to it again.

I tired one of his techniques on a colleague I had been chasing for week and it worked like a charm within an hour, so 1 for 1.
Abubakar Mehdi
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A couple of months ago, I read somewhere that when it comes to the psychology of persuasion and influence, Cialdini is the “daddy” of this subject. I chuckled and moved on. But then, a few days ago I found myself in a bookstore holding this book and heading to the counter. I came back home, and devoured it chapter by chapter, awestruck and flabbergasted by the sheer brilliance of the psychology of persuasion. Cialdini is no novice, apart from being an academic scholar and researcher who conducte
David
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Social Proof - People will do things that they see other people are doing. For example, in one experiment, one or more accomplices would look up into the sky; the more accomplices the more likely people would look up into the sky to see what they were seeing. At one point this experiment aborted, as so many people were looking up, that they stopped traffic.

Scarcity - Perceived scarcity will generate demand. For example, saying offers are available for a "limited time only" encourages sales.

Likin
Rachel
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
So, I've read a fair amount of the literature about group dynamics and social influence, and taught classes that discussed and used it. So I thought I'd know much of what was in this book already. While I was familiar with some of it, there were a number of tricks I hadn't noticed, and excellent descriptions of the ones I had, complete with explanations. Definitely worth reading!

Influence describes the six categories of techniques that have the potential to influence us without our conscious awa
Click Whirr 4 96 Jul 07, 2014 11:56AM
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
Dr. Robert Cialdini has spent his entire career researching the science of influence earning him an international reputation as an expert in the fields of persuasion, compliance, and negotiation.

His books including, Influence: Science & Practice, are the results of years of study into the reasons why people comply with requests in business settings. Worldwide, Influence has sold over 2 million
More about Robert B. Cialdini...
“A well-known principle of human behavior says that when we ask someone to do us a favor we will be more successful if we provide a reason. People simply like to have reasons for what they do.” 53 likes
“Embarrassment is a villain to be crushed.” 26 likes