Start by marking “Secrets of My Hollywood Life (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of My Hollywood Life (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #1)

Secrets of My Hollywood Life (Secrets of My Hollywood Life #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  12,207 Ratings  ·  578 Reviews
What if... Your picture was taped inside teenage boys' lockers across America, your closets were bursting with never-worn designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?

It's a glamorous life, but sixteen-year-old Kaitlin Burke, costar of one of the hottest shows on TV, is exhausted from the pressures of fame. Then she h
Published May 1st 2007 by Poppy (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of My Hollywood Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of My Hollywood Life

Nicole
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-09-read
242pp. Park Avenue, New York.
Little,Brown and Company. $7.99
ISBN: 978-0-316-15443-7

“What if? Your picture was taped inside teenage boys' lockers across America, your closets were bursting with never-worn designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?”

The quote above was how this book, Secrets of the Hollywood by Jen Calonita grabbed my attention, I' m pretty sure it pulled yours too. You will really gobble this one up. The narrator is Kaitli
Muse-ic ♬
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5

What if...Your picture was taped inside teenage boys' lockers across America, your closets were bursting with never-worn designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status? Would you still consider yourself sane?

Of course not. Allow me the pleasure to introduce to you Kaitlin Burke, 16-year-old soap opera star and one of Hollywood's and America's favorite teens. Kaitlin is a star on the soap opera Family Affair and gets to live the glamorous l
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

So, you think the life of a famous teen actress is a dream come true? Think again. For Kaitlin Burke, living that dream is great, but all she really wants is to try out life as a typical teen.

Kaitlin is one sneaky girl. She manages to fool an entire school when she enrolls as Rachel Rogers – a British transfer student. Seeing that she could pull this off, it was no wonder that she was a famous actress. She could win an Academy Award for the party scene!

One of the things that I really love
Kristy
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who are still into High School Muscial

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I actually prefer the books Lauren Conrad wrote over this... I'm not a huge fan of those either, but this book was not so good. It was predictable, that's my main problem with it. I'm not really into the whole Hollywood scene, so I probably should have known better, but I was curious, the library had it and 1+1=2. So there you go.

I probably will NOT read the next book in this series. And, I don't recommend it to you unless you are into Movie Star
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Little bit of a younger read than I expected for a book about a 16 year old, but the character's struggles are compelling and fun...I'm hoping for more as the series goes on.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Sixteen-year-old Kaitlin Burke has been on the same nighttime soap, Family Affair, for the past twelve years. In between interviews, press junkets, trips abroad, and other smaller parts, she's had to deal with a demanding publicist, a mother who seems to be living her own life through that of her daughters, and a growing feud with her co-star, Sky Mackenzie. Ever since the two girls were cast, at age four, as fraternal twins on the show, Sky has been the bad gi
Allison
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Haley
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

I have to say, Jen Calonita’s book impressed me.
From the first chapter to the last, I could not put it down. I really did want to know what happened to Kaitlin. And the way Calonita introduced Austin into the story was simply marvelous. I wasn’t sure if I was meant to love him or hate him. It was wonderful!
It is actually kind of hilarious to read the ‘inside’ life of a celebrity. Sure, it isn’t an actual celebrity, but Calonita does a wonderful job making Kaitlin seem like a big star.
I will de
Lauren R.
3.5 stars. I totally remember why I loved books like these, and now that love has turned into a weird fascination with how different contemporary romances were circa 2007. I read the first few books in the series back as they were published and lost track once high school ended. I'll definitely be continuing on for the nostalgic feels! But, as far as the book is concerned - I read this in a couple hours tonight and really enjoyed it until the end. The cheesiness and cliches definitely got to me ...more
Nnenna Ngene
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BEFORE YOU READ: This review will contain spoilers!

In this book we meet Kaitlin Burke, an actress on the hit soap-opera series Family Affair. Kaitlin has been in the limelight before she could even read, featuring in commercials and later on hired as an actress for a soap opera which became very successful. Now that the show is coming to a close, Kaitlin has to decide what the next step is to prolong her acting career. She meets new friends along the way, re-discovered who she was and modeled
Annies
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read ‘Secrets oh my Hollywood Life’ by Jen Calonita. This book is about a teenage girl, Kaitlin Burke, who is a famous soap-opera star on the show, Family Affair. When Kaitlin’s hiatus rolls around she realizes she needs a long break from the Hollywood life. Kaitlin’s best friend, Liz, who is a normal teenager, and Kaitlin hatch a plan that Kaitlin will enroll in Liz’s high school, Clark Hall. Kaitlin knows that her manager (her mother) and her publicist will not go for this idea. But, to her ...more
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Usually when you pick up a book about a Hollywood family, you expect to feel fine about the characters but not really connect with them (unless you're a Hollywood teenager yourself). While I didn't exactly connect with Kaitlin on the lifestyle level, I did really enjoy her personality, which often does not happen when reading in this genre.

I think my ability to like Kaitlin is because the whole plot of this book is that she wants a normal life - so we get to see her interact with 'normal' chara
Montse db
I have one word to describe this book: AWFUL.
It is incredibly poorly written. Was this meant to be a published book or Hannah Montana fanfiction? Seriously, I wonder.
Kaitlin is boring, stupid, and immature. The author made a poor attempt at making her relatable and likable; but she comes off as an annoying as hell Mary sue. Really, she is such a good person she barely harbors any hate towards anyone and is just so nice. Please get real. Also, the love interest Austin is also a total male mary s
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I could totally see this book being made into a movie. It has a bit of a "Mean Girls" edge to it that is irresistible. Author Jen Calonita worked at Teen People before starting her life as an author. She obviously got the inside scoop while she was there. She seems to know all about Hollywood politics.

The story is a breeze to read, I finished the book in a days time no problem. Reading it so quickly was partly due to the fact that I was really sucked into the story!

Kaitlin Burke is one of Hollyw
Jessica
Generally, I try not to think about that period in life known as high school. Rereading Secrets of my Hollywood Life did remind me that there was some good in those four years, notably the excitement of whenever a new Kaitlin Burke book was published.

Also, STAR WARS. I'm sure Kaitlin is just as excited as I am about the 18th.
Danielle
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen Girls
Recommended to Danielle by: Anilee
Shelves: young-adult
What I really loved and appreciated about this book was how it had no swearing, no inappropriate subject matter, and was completely fun to read! The plot was actually interesting enough that I read it one day because I wanted to know what would happen next. I also appreciated the dialogue and sense of honesty with the characters (particularly Kaitlan). Overall a very satisfying read.
Brillare
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, it sounded kind of stupid. But I immediately got hooked. And, wow, it is was really great. I thought it was cute, funny, and an overall good read. Teehee, I really loved it!
Stephanie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book and I can't wait to continue reading the series. It's cool how it shows us the life of a young Hollywood star and how sometimes they wish they could be normal like us.
Marie
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute read to pass the time. I liked the characters, especially Austin and I hope the next book is as good as this one.
Charlie-Dee
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Picked this up at the doller tree while on holiday and read it by the pool. Cute fast paced read that had nice themes. Would likely pick up the next book in the series.
Lucy March
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hannah Montana: the book. Enough said.
Grace K.
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! This book is about a famous actress named Kaitlin Burke. Rumors are spreading about her and she realizes she wants something different for a vacation. She wants to be a normal high school teenager. She disguises herself as a British girl named Rachel Rogers. I'm obviously not going to give everything away but Kaitlin discovers the meaning of friendship,love,being who you truly are. This book had me laughing,rooting for Kaitlin. It was very cute and very well written. I also f ...more
Lily Sandstedt
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sixteen year old Kaitlin Burke is living a fabulous life, but the costar of one of the most popular shows on TV is exhausted from the pressures of fame, the spotlight, a mother who seems to be living her own life through her daughters, and her lifelong enemy, Sky Mackenzie.
As the story progresses, Kaitlin realizes there is more to life than being the most recognized and praised. I would recommend this book to others being it has a few different ways of showing the value in your character, the po
Amy Bearce
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fast, fun read, perfect for taking to the beach. I really did feel like I was learning secrets about Kaitlin's Hollywood Life-- nicely done!
Victoria Weimar
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I love getting a peek of what it's like to be an actress. I loved Kaitlin and her story. which I cant wait to read the next book On Location.
Paola Wayne
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
good
No, David! No!
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a fun read. It is pretty simple, clean, and straight forward. I am curious how much of it all is truly how hollywood works. I enjoyed it though, and will read the next one.
Francesca
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Drama! Teens! Hollywood!

It's an adorable book. Okay, it's got the requisite teenage drama but, overall, it's cute, sweet, and only a little pretentious Hollywood smarminess.
Susan
Entertaining but not as good as I had hoped.
(:Sammy Erlich:)
The book Secrets of my Hollywood Life, by Jen Calonita was a very good book that I enjoyed. It was about a 16 year old girl, Katlin Burke who is a Hollywood movie star. But Hollywood isn’t all fun and games, and Katlin just wants to lead a normal teenage life for a little while, so Katlin goes undercover as a girl from Great Britain named Rachel Rodgers. She meets lots of friends and enemies and ups and downs along her journey.

I thought this book was really good because I liked how Katlin pret
YA Buddy Readers'...: Secrets of My Hollywood Life By Jen Calonita - Starting May 20th 2016 6 11 May 20, 2016 10:49AM
would this be a good movie? 27 22 Jan 12, 2014 01:24PM
Aiossa's 12/13 Se...: book review 1/7/13 1 2 Feb 07, 2013 07:18PM
Aiossa's Senior 5...: Taylor Johnson Book review 1 5 Sep 27, 2012 08:43PM
This Book 4 25 Jun 07, 2009 11:21AM
Loved this book!!! 4 31 Nov 23, 2008 11:47AM
  • The Daughters (The Daughters, #1)
  • Talent (Talent, #1)
  • Poseur (Poseur, #1)
  • Confessions of a First Daughter (First Daughter, #1)
  • Alphas (Alphas, #1)
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Violet on the Runway (Violet, #1)
  • How My Private, Personal Journal Became a Bestseller
  • My Double Life
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet
  • Summer Intern
  • Model Spy (The Specialists, #1)
Hi Goodreads!
I'm Jen Calonita, a YA author who loves what I do because it lets me connect with all of you (and no, I wasn't intending for that to rhyme!).

I've been writing ever since I can remember, but it was fourth grade when I put my "three wishes" for a genie down on paper. They were:
#1. Buy all the Cabbage Patch Kids in the world and give them away for free (because apparently that was how I
More about Jen Calonita...

Secrets of My Hollywood Life (6 books)
  • On Location (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #2)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • Paparazzi Princess (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #4)
  • Broadway Lights (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #5)
  • There's No Place Like Home (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #6)

“I work too hard and I love it too much.” 0 likes